Nintendo win developer of the year award, announces Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

XTankSlayerX

Being a lover of their franchises since I was a kid, Nintendo is really one of the only companies that makes me proud (if that makes any sense to you). Those who say they only do the same game over again, well, you're looking at it the wrong way. Nintendo isn't about the spotlight, rich, rushed AAA titles. They take their time to remake some timeless classics that, even if they sound repetitive to some, are going to be played for decades to come. I just CAN NOT get the same good old feelings while playing Mario Party, Mario Kart, 2D Mario's, Animal Crossing and Smash, for example. And then, we have franchises like Zelda and Metroid, that uses an amazing and original formula again and again, on a different way with innovation and creativity. Nintendo is like a nice grandma who brings us delicious cookies that one simply can't reject. They are an oasis in the pile of shit companies, such as ubisoft, throw at us. And I don't care if I ever abandon gaming for some reason, but I'll always have good memories about Nintendo, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Personally, I really hope they can come up with different games sometimes, of course, but they will never, nor should they, stop making this masterpieces.

I originally grew up a Sega Kid ( and I damn well pronounce it See-Ga, not Say-Ga ), I was constantly in a Epeen war with my Ninty mates until the original PS came out, they crossed over to the Sony side, I hung on to my Sega roots until their last dying breath. My first PC was an Athlon XP followed by an Athlon 64 but I still own a PS2 and I consider that along with the Dreamcast and Gamecube as the epitome of console gaming

Ahahahahahaha,. You amuse me, to be fair Wolfenstein and Doom were not "true 3D" but they introduced what you could do with 3D, Quake was the first true 3D game, which incidentally came out the same year as Mario (96) and a full 2 years before Ocarina Of Time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28video_game%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_64

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

And John Carmack is a Hipster and not an Innovator?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carmack

Also.............

ScreenHunter_06Dec070148_zps314a0882.jpg

Without John Carmack, Gaming today would not be EXACTLY as it is.

Fixed that last line for you. 

Also, Quake? HAHAHAHAHA! No... Not really. You onlygot full 3D control when Nintendo took the scene with the N64. I didn't say Ocarina was the first true 3D game, but the transformation of Zelda into a 3D medium made the video game world take off in ways Mario could never have made it do.

Those algorithms he "invented" are all rehashes of what were existing algorithms. Here's the thing: scientific computing and high performance computing programmers figure something out, and game devs implement it 12-15 years later. Ray tracing and rasterization are good examples of this. So is 3D collision detection.

Binary Space partitioning is just a KD tree. GPS and laser guidance systems were using it in the 40s.

Adaptive tyle refresh is just a rehash of occlusion culling which had been in the simulation world for a decade.

Raycasting is just an approximation algorithm for weighted interval scheduling, the true solution for which existed back in WWI.

Do some actual research. Carmack didn't do the work. He took the already existing and deployed it in a slightly new environment. Sorry but this is my field of expertise, and I may be a jackass, but Carmack is not any sort of pinnacle in game design or development. Go to the world's top 25 programmers list. There are 3 game programmers on it, and Carmack ain't one of them for a good reason.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Fixed that last line for you. 

Those algorithms he "invented" are all rehashes of what were existing algorithms. Here's the thing: scientific computing and high performance computing programmers figure something out, and game devs implement it 12-15 years later. Ray tracing and rasterization are good examples of this. So is 3D collision detection.

Binary Space partitioning is just a KD tree. GPS and laser guidance systems were using it in the 40s.

Adaptive tyle refresh is just a rehash of occlusion culling which had been in the simulation world for a decade.

Raycasting is just an approximation algorithm for weighted interval scheduling, the true solution for which existed back in WWI.

Do some actual research. Carmack didn't do the work. He took the already existing and deployed it in a slightly new environment. Sorry but this is my field of expertise, and I may be a jackass, but Carmack is not any sort of pinnacle in game design or development. Go to the world's top 25 programmers list. There are 3 game programmers on it, and Carmack ain't one of them for a good reason.

Fair point, but who was the programmer that actually introduced them to the Games industry. You can't deny the influence that Doom/Quake had on the Industry as a whole.

Which programmer and game designer/IP introduced Deathmatch, Mods, and freedom for budding programmers to cut sick................

Oh and here he is at #20.......

http://www.ranker.com/list/most-influential-software-programmers-of-all-time/ready-to-startup

Aside from new games like Project S.T.E.A.M, Splatoon, and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Nintendo does make new IP all the time. Their new IP is in the form of gameplay (see all the 3D Marios). Mario games are not story driven so they can take liberties with him and put him in a bunch of different types of games, but that still doesn't make them all the same game. I'd rather take the same character with new gameplay than different characters and the same gameplay (most notably COD and Assassins Creed, but there are a lot of other popular games that do this). Accusing Nintendo of only rehashing is dishonest at best.

I agree with you and just to clarify what you are saying, since Misanthrope is saying a new IP is only new characters.

In Engineering a new intellectual property is a patent and one of those can be had for any improvement to an existing machine. So I'm sorry to all you haters who keep saying that every time Nintendo innovates it is not a new IP. Engineering would say it is.

I bet he's talking about copyright where the protection of the characters is most important. I don't know copyright but I bet that it really is the character is the ip. So he's just being facetious and not permitting his open mind to see that maybe Nintendo innovates in the more traditional sense when they update their Mario games. lol update. Just because they aren't getting a new character.

Also how many companies do you see pushing 8 people split screen? Just because that's not your point of interest doesn't mean it isn't for a lot of other people. They put side scrollers on the map, I want to say open worlds too, with the Legend of Zelda (it was non-linear). I'm not a Nintendo fanboy (although I do like them) so I can't say exactly which games in recent history have been innovative. I've missed a lot of Wii/Wii U titles.

Traditionally Nintendo is an innovator (looking at mechanical patents).They made standard the d-pad (Game & Watch), the save file (Legend of Zelda), shoulder buttons (SNES), hand held games with cartridges not just pre-built games (GBA), controller rumble (N64), motion control (Wii) and their virtual boy may not have been successful but they beat Occulus to the punch on a commercial VR unit. The list goes on and you can bet that they will add to that list as time goes on. It seems to me that when people complain about nintendo they are complaining about how such a company got a dedicated fanbase and they think they did it undeservingly. No, this company is a heavy hitter, don't let their kiddy art style fool you.

I'm upgrading my Wii to a Wii U in a few months to play 8 player smash with my family when they come over.

To those of you who say that they weren't the first. I grant you that. But consider that some things are done on a proof-of-concept basis and then a large company (who will perfect it for consumer use) picks it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were earlier proof-of-concept instances for these things but as far as I'm aware Nintendo brought them to the masses and had to work on making them perfect. For example the joystick was done prior to Nintendo but it was a non-centering version. So it wasn't usable. Nintendo made it centering after you let it go. Boom. N64 sales.

That's it. I'm done.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Fair point, but who was the programmer that actually introduced them to the Games industry. You can't deny the influence that Doom/Quake had on the Industry as a whole.

Which programmer and game designer/IP introduced Deathmatch, Mods, and freedom for budding programmers to cut sick................

I will give credence to whoever comes up with fun new ways to play or invents new algorithms or technology, but don't hurl praise where it isn't deserved. This is why I very much am a fan of Linus Torvalds but find Richard Stallman repugnant. Linus' Kernel ended up being called Linux (as in Linus' version of Unix). Without the kernel, you don't have an operating system, however, Stallman insists on calling any distribution with the Linux Kernel "GNU-Linux" which is highly insulting putting his accessory software ahead of the actual OS. Furthermore, a number of people have contributed as much or more to the Linux operating systems, and you don't see them bitching every time they're asked about "Linux."

Stallman makes good software, but he never actually wrote an OS, yet he wants his name in front. Carmack is the same kind of media whore Stallman is. While both did some good things for the world, they're not that important. Predecessors laid so much of their ground work for them it's absolutely insulting to put them on pedestals.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Microsoft looses money on the XBox One, desperate to sale their console.

And what games do you have on the XBox One that you can't play on your PC that is worth the price of the console?

Not much.

You have no idea why Sega went down, that is clear.

The reason why Sega went down, is that the company was panicking, the same way BlackBerry went down. Why buy the console now, when 2 days later a new add-on / console from Sega will be released, at a rushed paced, making it all half ass (like Backberry releasing new half ass phones instead of taking their time, making people start ignoring the company when they eventually release a good product)

Sega released the Dreamcast. First with 4 player support, first with ONLINE play, first with "take the game with you" (considering the technology limitation of the time, of course, and price), all units are dev consoles running Windows CE, meaning all documentation is online, good controller, powerful system, finally some great games, and more... no one cared. Much like no one bothered checking out reviews of the Blackberry 10 when it was released.

Nintendo is not desperate. Nintendo has money, lots of it. WiiU might be the third selling console, but as of now, it brings money to the Nintendo. Nintendo sees themselves as a toy company. And that is what they make. A toy. Their games are designed for it. Microsoft and Sony goes to devs and asks: "What do you want for the next console?". Nintendo makes the console for themselves and if you want to join, you are welcomed (as long as you are approved (which if you are indie is actually easy, all you need is a safe, a house with alarm system, and 2000-2500$ U.S).

It is interesting to see this conversation (I am talking in general here), you can clearly see who was born during which time, as they completely ignore previous innovations or history, and just takes everything for granted.

This is a tad odd coming from you. Yes what you said it's true except for the money part: It is my understanding that thanks to their corporate side of things Microsoft has quite a lot more money to bankroll the xbox adventures. I mean I get that Satdya might not feel this way and could end up axing the division for all we know, but right now as it stands, MS can actually afford to sell at lost and such whereas Nintendo wouldn't be able to finance that kind of operation, hence the usually "modest" by comparison specs on their consoles

-------

Current Rig

-------

I will give credence to whoever comes up with fun new ways to play or invents new algorithms or technology, but don't hurl praise where it isn't deserved. This is why I very much am a fan of Linus Torvalds but find Richard Stallman repugnant. Linus' Kernel ended up being called Linux (as in Linus' version of Unix). Without the kernel, you don't have an operating system, however, Stallman insists on calling any distribution with the Linux Kernel "GNU-Linux" which is highly insulting putting his accessory software ahead of the actual OS. Furthermore, a number of people have contributed as much or more to the Linux operating systems, and you don't see them bitching every time they're asked about "Linux."

Stallman makes good software, but he never actually wrote an OS, yet he wants his name in front. Carmack is the same kind of media whore Stallman is. While both did some good things for the world, they're not that important. Predecessors laid so much of their ground work for them it's absolutely insulting to put them on pedestals.

Stallmans a whole different level of Fruitcake, but Carmack has always been a "Total" nerd. He's never taken credit for any innovations and he's always cited others for their work and never taken the glory, in fact he's always felt uncomfortable for being portrayed in the way you're accusing him of even though hes never strived for it, it's always been about pushing the absolute bleeding edge, never the glory

It had an impact in consumer electronics, not in gaming. All those people who bought the Wii? Why aren't they buying the Wii U then? Oh that's right, cause they aren't fucking gamers, they just sold it to non gamers and got massive but fleeting success in sales. Call me when you can sustain that fucking success not when you're struggling and apologizing for poor sales as they were doing earlier this year.

You're very negative you know.

1. A gaming console impacts gaming, even if it's only impacting directly those who are hardcore gamers and own a wii. More people to play with! More people to pwn. Always a good thing.

2. Most saw the Wii U as a marginal upgrade and not really necessary. I know I did, it just seemed like an upgrade to 1080p and a touchpad controller.

3. Those non-gamers as you called them will slowly but surely transition into being real-gamers if they love their console enough. Some of them will go to PC, some to PS, Some to XB and some will return to Nintendo.

What's wrong with a parent buying the cheapest console they can get for their child? I know I wouldn't have gotten a Win 95 if there weren't Win 98s. And I wouldn't have gotten a PSone if there hadn't been PS2s.

The important thing, and one we all share (I think) is that there be love for the game.

Carmack is a media whore? Since when exactly? He doesn't go out and say "I did all these things" OTHER people say that about him. In intreviews Carmack comes off as very intelligent and aware of what he's done but not flaunting. Whether or not he created all those techniques or "simply" made them work in a game engine his contributions to the industry are huge. The industry would NOT be the same without him or id Software and that's something you can't deny. If want a media whore from id go look at John Romero.

Carmack is a media whore? Since when exactly? He doesn't go out and say "I did all these things" OTHER people say that about him. In intreviews Carmack comes off as very intelligent and aware of what he's done but not flaunting. Whether or not he created all those techniques or "simply" made them work in a game engine his contributions to the industry are huge. The industry would NOT be the same without him or id Software and that's something you can't deny. If want a media whore from id go look at John Romero.

A-Fuckin-Men

3. Those non-gamers as you called them will slowly but surely transition into being real-gamers if they love their console enough. Some of them will go to PC, some to PS, Some to XB and some will return to Nintendo.

Excuse me but I don't see my aunts transition from what they say as a cute novelty item not unlike a board game or something suddenly picking CoD: Those massive sales didn't come from kids that might turn into hardcore gamers one day, it sold so much because it was sold to non gamers and people who wouldn't otherwise become gamers.

Case an point: ask your mom she probably moved on from a Wii to fucking candy crush saga and when asked about it, like you said she will reply "Oh I already have one of those Wiis, haven't used the thing in months though"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Stallmans a whole different level of Fruitcake, but Carmack has always been a "Total" nerd. He's never taken credit for any innovations and he's always cited others for their work and never taken the glory, in fact he's always felt uncomfortable for being portrayed in the way you're accusing him of even though hes never strived for it, it's always been about pushing the absolute bleeding edge, never the glory

That's really funny given my nerdy professor (who hosted an Atari programming course over the winter term all in 6502 assembly language) had him come in and talk, and he gushed about how people look up to him. I wanted to gag. 

Romero shall not be spoken of. Carmack has redeeming qualities. Romero does not. The industry would be exactly the same. More nerds like me existed at the same time. All that matters in the history of programming is who finished their work first. For every 1 guy who manages to patent a new algorithm, at least 300 people were very close to the same answer at the same time. And now almost all of Carmack's innovations were swallowed up too. KD trees (used for Binary Space Partitioning) are not longer used because they're too slow, for the easiest example.

Excuse me but I don't see my aunts transition from what they say as a cute novelty item not unlike a board game or something suddenly picking CoD: Those massive sales didn't come from kids that might turn into hardcore gamers one day, it sold so much because it was sold to non gamers and people who wouldn't otherwise become gamers.

Case an point: ask your mom she probably moved on from a Wii to fucking candy crush saga and when asked about it, like you said she will reply "Oh I already have one of those Wiis, haven't used the thing in months though"

Fuck them. The people I mentioned are those who love gaming enough to re-invest in the experience. Something has to  keep our favored industry driving forward. What better way than converting those wet behind the ears? They all grow up.

And yes I know one casual who upgraded to a Wii U. The point is to get it in their homes. First you have their attention. Then you have their money.

The Crew is not out yet (I think) but knowing Ubisoft's track record for this year it will probably be a huge mess.

Came out this week, for what i have heard its working fine, servers are a bit unstable but nothing game breaking or annoying, it seems it only disconnects once every 4-5 hours playing the game, the only other complain i heard is that chase missions and police pursuits are horrible because the AI for it its terrible, but other that that the game seems fine, pretty much the only thing ubi didn't fucked up this year for their big games

Also theres the part the press didn't get their review copy until the game was out but i dont think for this particular game wasn't a stupid decision since its a MMO and they either would have played in private servers or without a population on them which would have been a mess, kinda like bf4 and driverclub reviews were

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

That's really funny given my nerdy professor (who hosted an Atari programming course over the winter term all in 6502 assembly language) had him come in and talk, and he gushed about how people look up to him. I wanted to gag. 

Romero shall not be spoken of. Carmack has redeeming qualities. Romero does not. The industry would be exactly the same. More nerds like me existed at the same time. All that matters in the history of programming is who finished their work first. For every 1 guy who manages to patent a new algorithm, at least 300 people were very close to the same answer at the same time. And now almost all of Carmack's innovations were swallowed up too. KD trees (used for Binary Space Partitioning) are not longer used because they're too slow, for the easiest example.

Carmack or Stallman?

Fuck them. The people I mentioned are those who love gaming enough to re-invest in the experience. Something has to  keep our favored industry driving forward. What better way than converting those wet behind the ears? They all grow up.

And yes I know one casual who upgraded to a Wii U. The point is to get it in their homes. First you have their attention. Then you have their money.

Well if you do know that one person I suggest you send his contact information to Nintendo because I'm sure as hell they would like to know about him so they can figure out why he did what virtually nobody else did making their sales number suffer so much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well if you do know that one person I suggest you send his contact information to Nintendo because I'm sure as hell they would like to know about him so they can figure out why he did what virtually nobody else did making their sales number suffer so much.

Call it a hunch but I bet the transition will be latent. The attraction has to be there and it looks like their games are gearing up. I know I wouldn't get it if I couldn't get Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. but I'll also try out different games. And there is always the plus of Pokemon connectivity.

Fuck me, I just realized I still act like I'm 9. lol.

I know I'm giving them a sales number soon.

Woooo go Nintendo #wiiumasterrace like I've been saying all along

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Carmack or Stallman?

Carmack. God if I had to sit through Stallman lecturing/talking for an hour the man would be dead.

As long as Ubisoft didn't win, then fine.

Nintendo, start releasing your titles for PC as well as your own hardware, and you will be able to dominate in sales over sony and microshit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nintendo, start releasing your titles for PC as well as your own hardware, and you will be able to dominate in sales over sony and microshit.

That does involve finding open-standard hardware to work with their controllers perfectly for both the PC and Wii. Don't treat it like such a trivial task. That said, I fully support putting Zelda on the PC.

I'd be ok even with not the same games that are on the Wii U as there is one specific franchise many would like to see again and it would be perfect as a PC game: METROID

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd be ok even with not the same games that are on the Wii U as there is one specific franchise many would like to see again and it would be perfect as a PC game: METROID

i can't believe how much time they haven't released a metroid game, i think the last one was when the wii was new

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i can't believe how much time they haven't released a metroid game, i think the last one was when the wii was new

Four years ago. Other M didn't really have the best reception from fans. I'd love to see a PC version of Prime though not sure if I'd want Nintendo do it. History does not exactly have many examples of Japanese developers producing great ports on their first try.