Nintendo win developer of the year award, announces Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

XTankSlayerX

How'd that go for them? I know no one who uses the 3D on the 3DS.

In the early days of 3D gaming, no game really mastered the 3D camera system and controls.

Nintendo redefined 3D games, and not only that, but has done it with a platformer, the type of game where precise control, and excellent depth visualization (can you make the jump or not), is critical. All future successful games has taken a page on Nintendo 3D system.

Nintendo is a bit like John Carmack. They take they time in visualizing, planing, measuring, testing, and experimenting to figure out the system right.

Nintendo introduced the analogue stick with 3D gaming, and now is the defacto standard in 3D gaming with controllers, because Nintendo has designed the hardware for 3D gaming which they perfected. They got the game mechanic, and the controller working together to make it possible.

they do have a unique style... Which i also don't like. I want something with blood and gore. It suits what they make though

That is because you are in your teens, and as a teen you want to associate yourself with "manly games", and push yourself away from anything looking like kids game due to per pressure, 'cause no one wants to be associated with playing kids games at that age, to avoid to be laugh at.

I was teen, I know how it was. I wasn't conscious about it, but now I realize that this was the situation.

Facepalm... Go back to the Nintendo 64. First 3D gaming console with any real market share.

It was one reason Ocarina of Time was cutting edge at that point in gaming history.

Why are you focusing on "consoles" when we had Wolfestein 3D way before that? Even Doom came before that, I don't care if console kids got a taste for it later (arguably) thanks to Nintendo it was John Romero and John Carmack who put 3D gaming on the spot. It's not always about who sold the most copies to a "wider audience" it's about who impulsed the fucking concept and created the technology to make it possible: Carmack, not fucking Nintendo.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why are you focusing on "consoles" when we had Wolfestein 3D way before that? Even Doom came before that, I don't care if console kids got a taste for it later (arguably) thanks to Nintendo it was John Romero and John Carmack who put 3D gaming on the spot. It's not always about who sold the most copies to a "wider audience" it's about who impulsed the fucking concept and created the technology to make it possible: Carmack, not fucking Nintendo.

Wolfenstein 3D is a load of bull that should never pass for an actual 3D experience. Neither was Doom. It was all first person perspective and no real depth. Still 2-D sprites. I stand by what I said. The N64 was the first major console with 3D gaming. Carmack can go suck on a pipe. He was a hipster, not an innovator.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You know why people love playing "the same mario game" a billion time? Because its not the same game.

Not the point: It's the same character for over 30 years. It's endearing, even legendary, but it's nevertheless the same characters over and over ad nauseum. I can enjoy Nintendo games, I can appreciate their (very occasional and not really as much as you portrait it) innovation on gameplay ideas an such but at one point it gets annoying and repetitive no matter what you try. My biggest gripe it's just that I know how much more innovative they would be if they gave their IPs a little bit of a rest from time to time, but if there is ever one company that always goes for the safe bet it's Nintendo.

They're a good developer, I just don't think that you should be giving them awards when we should be rewarding people who actually take risks to truly innovate more often than when they run out of Wii Sports money.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wolfenstein 3D is a load of bull that should never pass for an actual 3D experience. I stand by what I said. The N64 was the first major console with 3D gaming. Carmack can go suck on a pipe. He was a hipster, not an innovator.

And you say that with a straight face on a PC gaming centric forum? I'm sorry but I do not deal with trolls, consider yourself ignored.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Aside from new games like Project S.T.E.A.M, Splatoon, and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Nintendo does make new IP all the time. Their new IP is in the form of gameplay (see all the 3D Marios). Mario games are not story driven so they can take liberties with him and put him in a bunch of different types of games, but that still doesn't make them all the same game. I'd rather take the same character with new gameplay than different characters and the same gameplay (most notably COD and Assassins Creed, but there are a lot of other popular games that do this). Accusing Nintendo of only rehashing is dishonest at best.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Aside from new games like Project S.T.E.A.M, Splatoon, and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Nintendo does make new IP all the time. Their new IP is in the form of gameplay.....

a5fd9f50473ea78ab4a5668771803996dfaebe93

-------

Current Rig

-------

a5fd9f50473ea78ab4a5668771803996dfaebe93

You can keep your memes to yourself. When you want to elaborate on how the 3D Marios are all the same game, I'll listen.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Not the point: It's the same character for over 30 years. It's endearing, even legendary, but it's nevertheless the same characters over and over ad nauseum. I can enjoy Nintendo games, I can appreciate their (very occasional and not really as much as you portrait it) innovation on gameplay ideas an such but at one point it gets annoying and repetitive no matter what you try. My biggest gripe it's just that I know how much more innovative they would be if they gave their IPs a little bit of a rest from time to time, but if there is ever one company that always goes for the safe bet it's Nintendo.

They're a good developer, I just don't think that you should be giving them awards when we should be rewarding people who actually take risks to truly innovate more often than when they run out of Wii Sports money.

Nintendo new IPs in the recent or so years (GameCube and up) and coming up

-> Animal Crossing

-> Brain Age

-> Project S.T.E.A.M

-> Splatoon

-> Capitan Toad

-> Geist

-> Pikmin

-> WiiFit

-> WiiSports

And that is ignoring Nintendo's second party Monolith Soft, which Nintendo owns 96% of the company, and they release new IPs such as: Disaster: Day of Crisis and Xenoblade Chronicles.

You can keep your memes to yourself. When you want to elaborate on how the 3D Marios are all the same game, I'll listen.

I'm not saying that they are the same in terms of gameplay. I think both you and Goodbytes exaggerate a bit but do have a point about not being exactly the same game (In all honest, there's a lot more difference between Mario games than Assassin's Creed or CoD games for example). I just like to call a spade a spade: Intellectual Property is a very specific term about copyrighted characters, as in their specific name, specific look, phrases and general likeness. It has nothing to do with gameplay. It's just a different concept, separate from gameplay. Nintendo has shown it can innovate in gameplay even within the exact same IPs (except as I mentioned before, when they were not too busy pandering to soccer moms and morning TV show crowds with motion control fucking nonsense) but that doesn't makes their franchises any newer: It's still the same damn plumbers, the same damn turtles, the same damn kid with a sword, and we love em and we love to keep seeing them in various activities and games and yes that's good that the gameplay has been kept diverse, but it's still the same Intellectual Property.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So you're going to mention Wii Sports then completely ignore how huge of a risk the Wii itself was and how much of an impact it had on gaming? Nintendo doesn't always take a ton of big risks but for a company that counts a lot on nostalgia they do take risks on their franchises. They're also willing to take some risks on developers like Platinum. Remember no one else would touch Bayonetta 2, but Nintendo decided to give Platnium the support they needed to get it done even after Wonderful 101 sold poorly.

For as much as people bitch and moan about Nintendo's franchises you'd think they're Ubisoft or something releasing the games  year after year. Beyond that Nintendo seems to actually know when to set a franchise aside for a bit and wait until they have a good idea for something new. There hasn't been a sign of a Metriod game in 4 years and it's been seven years since we've seen one from a Nintendo owned studio. Next year's game will be the first new Star Fox game since 2007.

-> Animal Crossing

-> Brain Age

-> Project S.T.E.A.M

-> Splatoon

-> Capitan Toad

-> Geist

-> Pikmin

-> Fire Emblem

-> WiiFit

-> WiiSports

And that is ignoring Nintendo's second party Monolith Soft, which Nintendo owns 96% of the company, and they release new IPs such as: Disaster: Day of Crisis and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Slight problem with your list. Fire Emblem is 24 years old.

-> Animal Crossing

-> Brain Age

-> Project S.T.E.A.M

-> Splatoon

-> Capitan Toad

-> Geist

-> Pikmin

-> Fire Emblem

-> WiiFit

-> WiiSports

1) Upcoming doesn't counts until they're out

2) The gamecube is not really recent it's 14 fucking years old

3) You put the casual games in that list. True they are new, but I wouldn't put those fucking pieces of shit in my argument, just saying.

4) I'm surprised you didn't include Sega franchises or Bayonetta. Buying companies is not the same as innovating we were talking about Nintendo as a developer, not as a company that well buys other smaller companies

So for all of those reasons, disagreed. In fact for reason 1) alone disagreed: Awful tiny list for 1.5 decades 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wolfenstein 3D is a load of bull that should never pass for an actual 3D experience. Neither was Doom. It was all first person perspective and no real depth. Still 2-D sprites. I stand by what I said. The N64 was the first major console with 3D gaming. Carmack can go suck on a pipe. He was a hipster, not an innovator.

lolwut, now go back and read up on a bit of history

So you're going to mention Wii Sports then completely ignore how huge of a risk the Wii itself was and how much of an impact it had on gaming? 

It had an impact in consumer electronics, not in gaming. All those people who bought the Wii? Why aren't they buying the Wii U then? Oh that's right, cause they aren't fucking gamers, they just sold it to non gamers and got massive but fleeting success in sales. Call me when you can sustain that fucking success not when you're struggling and apologizing for poor sales as they were doing earlier this year.

-------

Current Rig

-------

im going to just post this here https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=980251798654927 i cant find a better link

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Unfortunately this project stream looked bad, and will probably play poorly on the handheld, if you want a dumb shooter on a ninty platform splatoon is probably a better bet

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

im going to just post this here https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=980251798654927 i cant find a better link

720 30

Calling it now

And people will defend it ( on a technical basis)

The game will probably be cool.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

1) Upcoming doesn't counts until they're out

2) The gamecube is not really recent it's 14 fucking years old

3) You put the casual games in that list. True they are new, but I wouldn't put those fucking pieces of shit in my argument, just saying.

4) I'm surprised you didn't include Sega franchises or Bayonetta. Buying companies is not the same as innovating we were talking about Nintendo as a developer, not as a company that well buys other smaller companies

So for all of those reasons, disagreed. In fact for reason 1) alone disagreed: Awful tiny list for 1.5 decades

1) Yes it counts as it's been announces with trailer. They are not going to cancel the game

2) That is your opinion.

3) IP is an IP. Casual is up to interpretation. And doesn't mean it's "casual", that a "hard core" gamer wont' play it. This is Nintendo games, not snake or angry birds, or temple run.

4) The IP mentioned were created when Nintendo has 96% of the company.

It had an impact in consumer electronics, not in gaming. All those people who bought the Wii? Why aren't they buying the Wii U then? Oh that's right, cause they aren't fucking gamers, they just sold it to non gamers and got massive but fleeting success in sales. Call me when you can sustain that fucking success not when you're struggling and apologizing for poor sales as they were doing earlier this year.

Really? So you're saying Kinect and Playstation Move weren't at all influenced by the rather crazy sales of the Wii? It wasn't at all MS and Sony trying to capture of piece of that action? Something Microsoft continued to try to do by forcing the Kinect on early Xbox 1 buyers.

Unfortunately this project stream looked bad, and will probably play poorly on the handheld, if you want a dumb shooter on a ninty platform splatoon is probably a better bet

Codename S.T.E.A.M isn't a shooter. It's a turn based strategy game (looks similar to Valkyria Chronicles). It's also developed by Intelligent Systems, arguably one of the best developers in the industry for this kind of game.

720 30

Calling it now

And people will defend it ( on a technical basis)

The game will probably be cool.

Beyonetta 2, the most demanding game on the system that is well optimized, is 40fps (average worst), the game plays mostly in ~60fps. The game runs at 720p with 1080p upscaling.

Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 8 both at 1080p 60fps solid.

Snip

I sorta got turn based vibes from it

But it just seemed like a generic third person shooter

Good to know it's more than that

Beyonetta 2, the most demanding game on the system that is well optimized, is 40fps (average worst), the game plays mostly in ~60fps. The game runs at 720p with 1080p upscaling.

Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 8 both at 1080p 60fps solid.

Bayonetta probably averages 55+ fps over the whole game, only a pessimist would say those drops to 40 in the first fight are indicative of the overall experience

Mario kart is not 1080p, it's 720 with no AA, one look can tell you that, it's still pretty good

And super smash Bros is a fighter on a 2d plane, don't count me impressed, 1080 60 is the bare minimum there

Windwaker being 1080 60 impresses me somewhat, but I have no idea how stable that is

Really? So you're saying Kinect and Playstation Move weren't at all influenced by the rather crazy sales of the Wii? 

Actually that's exactly what I'm saying: they were basically copying Nintendo and got fucking nowhere, just like Nintendo got fucking nowhere with it after the Wii. It took valuable resources away from developing actual fucking games to shoehorn stupid motion controls. Who knows what franchises like Steel Batallion could have been with a proper sequel or development instead of a waste of money and time for a broken piece of shit nobody bought.

When the influence is actually detrimental to gaming in general I wouldn't consider that a point in favor of Nintendo. I would have if they at least had the money to show for it, but they already lost it all with the slow and weak release on the Wii U anyway. So Nintendo has nothing to show for, MS has nothing to show for copying Nintendo, neither does Sony. Not even the target audience has anything to show for since the fucking morons are playing Flappy Bird on their phones now.

So the Wii influenced the industry, and who exactly this this benefit? Fucking no one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1) Yes it counts as it's been announces with trailer. They are not going to cancel the game

2) That is your opinion.

3) IP is an IP. Casual is up to interpretation. And doesn't mean it's "casual", that a "hard core" gamer wont' play it. This is Nintendo games, not snake or angry birds, or temple run.

4) The IP mentioned were created when Nintendo has 96% of the company.

1) Says every dev about every game ever, Nintendo doesn't gets a free pass on cancelled games.

2) Duh

Yeah I'm not continuing we can consider this conversation has entered into a nice point of contention that's not resolvable, good evening.

-------

Current Rig

-------