Nintendo win developer of the year award, announces Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

XTankSlayerX

Mario kart is not 1080p, it's 720 with no AA, one look can tell you that, it's still pretty good

Yes you are correct my mistake, Mario Kart 8 is 720p but upscale to 1080p, and not direct 720p.

I believe all Nintendo games don't use AA. Sucks, but that is that. Nintendo like to keep their console at a low affordable price and make money on it.

And super smash Bros is a fighter on a 2d plane, don't count me impressed, 1080 60 is the bare minimum there

Model are in 3D, stages are in 3D. It doesn't mater that the camera looks on the side or not.

Model are in 3D, stages are in 3D. It doesn't mater that the camera looks on the side or not.

But it does matter

I'm aware it's 3D but havibg a constant side view makes the game far less demanding, it's just showing the 1 side of a 3d model and 1 side of the map, and the models are small and low detail when the camera is panned out

Sure it's 1080 60, but it should be.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Nintendo like to keep their console at a low affordable price and make money on it.

Then again, what's $50 extra for an Xbox One, which admittedly has better graphics and more features/versatility? Less than the cost of a game.

Nintendo is a hard company for me. I stopped liking them a long time ago. They were a childhood favorite, but that's what they seem to be to a lot of people. The same IP is getting boring (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, etc.) and none of the new IP sticks out to me as something exciting or amazing. They all feel like they won't really stick. I found the Wii U to be completely underwhelming. I have played on one, and while some of the games are fun, they are the types of games for me which are fun for about 15 minutes, and then a waste of money for the rest of the time it spends gathering dust. It's only my opinion, but I think a few people share this with me too. I'll admit, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon look interesting to me though.

I wouldn't be suprised if Nintendo went down the route that Sega did. It would be sad, but not unexpected.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I wouldn't be suprised if Nintendo went down the route that Sega did. It would be sad, but not unexpected.

I've said it in other threads before, id love to play nintendo games on my PC, i don't think the wii U brings anything to the market that couldn't be done better on PC or PS4/XB1

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

All nintendo does is re-release their old games. Hardly developer of the year award worthy.

They released Beyonetta 2. So they don't always release the same stuff. The new Zelda game was different to all the other Zelda games. So they don't always do the same thing. Changing up the game is good something Ubi hasn't done to it's franchises ever. I guess there is a reason why Nintendo games haven't died yet and a reason why Ubisofts franchises will probably die off pretty soon if they keep doing the same thing.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

All nintendo does is re-release their old games. Hardly developer of the year award worthy.

Kinda hard to compete with good games that have nostalgia when you're producing dogshit on a monthly basis.

There's not been one notably good game this year except for Nintendo titles. Are you joking?

Kinda hard to compete with good games that have nostalgia when you're producing dogshit on a monthly basis.

There's not been one notably good game this year except for Nintendo titles. Are you joking?

Transistor, Shovel Knight, DA: I, Alien Isolation, Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor. It's more Nintendo and the unexpected games were the ones that delivered as opposed to the ones that had hype the size of the Titanic behind them.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Shadow of Mordor is not notable. I've heard nothing about the others except Dragon Age (everyone has) and even then it's just eyecandy to me. I think Totalbiscuit did a well-rounded overview of the game. It does not play correctly for what it is.

If you think that seemingly endless content is the selling point, I suggest you get into asian gaming.

Nintendo practically invented 3D video gaming.

They choose an art style that shows off their hardware well.

Yes, they recycle Mario Party, but their's no game series in the world that holds a candle to the Legend of Zelda for fan loyalty, and that's because Nintendo kills it every single time (windwaker being a bit childish aside).

Correction. Sony they, when did introduced the Sony Bravia with active 3D. (Including CoD Black Ops, which is pretty cool in 3D)

Which worked with the PS3 and it's collection of Sony spurred 3D games. 

Nintendo only messed it up. There has not been a official 3D game for the PS since the release of the 3DS. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Codename S.T.E.A.M. would just mean Super Smash Bros featuring GabeN as a character.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Lack of innovation? Lazy? I think they're one of the most innovative gaming companies around. When @patrickjp93 mentioned them creating 3d games, I'm assuming he meant 3d-world games such as Super Mario 64. 

Similar context with them innovating motion gameplay.

I'm sorry, the playstation Eyetoy on the PS2 came out before Wii anything. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

The reason you see a lot of games with Mario in them is because Mario is the most popular videogame character on the planet. There are MANY different genres which he covers and all of them play differently. The main 3D platformers include:

Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

The 3D Land/World games are different to the above, they use part of the 3D platformers rules but follow the 2D mario format. For example the 3D platform titles are open exploration (mostly) with multiple objectives per level, Mario also has a health bar and is always 'big' mario.

In 3D Land/World the rules are changed, Mario does not have a health bar and can be small mario, big mario and power-up mario only. The objective also follows the 2D rules which are get to the end in time. The only real optional objective are to collect stars and other collectables. 

So it is 2 different genres. Bringing the total to 3 in the main Mario series. 2D, 3D and 2D/3D.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

This may surprise some people but if you look at the games in any given series, separate them into logical categories (Console, Handheld, Mobile etc) and exclude anything none main series (For example Links Crossbow Training) then the main Nintendo IP's being Zelda, Starfox, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Kirby, Smash Bros. They tend to be released far less often and in some cases have fewer games in total. The only annual release that comes to mind is Pokemon, but that is made by the Pokemon Company.

For example there are more main series Assassins Creed games than there are 3D Console released Zelda games.  The Assassins Creed was release 9 years after the first 3D Zelda game (Ocarina of Time) so its a scary thought. Far Cry series is nearly on par with with Zelda games (4 main Far Cry games vs 5 main 3D zelda games). You could choose to include Blood Dragon to make them even.

Back to Zelda, have you ever wondered WHY the games have an eerily similar story? I'll give you a clue: The Legend of Zelda...... Can you see it? The main word is LEGEND. The entire series is based on the same basic story, a legend. Each game can be viewed as another persons take on the classic story, there are some minor changes here and there but the basic concept remains the same. You have a hero, you have a Princess, you have a villain and finally the Master Sword. Some games don't exactly follow the legend, in fact Skyward Sword (The earliest chronologically) establishes the legend and games such as Majoras Mask, A Link Between Worlds expand upon it further since can be classed as sequels but at the same time not quite (The Zelda timeline is famously complex).

If you've never played a Zelda game or think they all play the same (You could not be more wrong by the way) then try Ocarina of Time and work your way up, you will see massive change in art style, gameplay mechanics and the actual controls.

If you choose to outright ignore a game or simply not play it because its similar to a past game then you should probably only ever play 1 game from each genre. That 1 Racing game, 1 Shooter, 1 RPG, 1 Platform, etc etc because based on that logic once you played one game you've played them all ;) right?........ Didn't think so.

Happy gaming :)

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

And you say that with a straight face on a PC gaming centric forum? I'm sorry but I do not deal with trolls, consider yourself ignored.

You can only turn in 4 directions, no middle ground, and all the enemies are 2D sprites. Sorry, but that doesn't pass the smell test. I'm not a troll. I'm a dick, and I'm right.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Then again, what's $50 extra for an Xbox One, which admittedly has better graphics and more features/versatility? Less than the cost of a game.

Nintendo is a hard company for me. I stopped liking them a long time ago. They were a childhood favorite, but that's what they seem to be to a lot of people. The same IP is getting boring (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, etc.) and none of the new IP sticks out to me as something exciting or amazing. They all feel like they won't really stick. I found the Wii U to be completely underwhelming. I have played on one, and while some of the games are fun, they are the types of games for me which are fun for about 15 minutes, and then a waste of money for the rest of the time it spends gathering dust. It's only my opinion, but I think a few people share this with me too. I'll admit, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon look interesting to me though.

Microsoft looses money on the XBox One, desperate to sale their console.

And what games do you have on the XBox One that you can't play on your PC that is worth the price of the console?

Not much.

You have no idea why Sega went down, that is clear.

The reason why Sega went down, is that the company was panicking, the same way BlackBerry went down. Why buy the console now, when 2 days later a new add-on / console from Sega will be released, at a rushed paced, making it all half ass (like Backberry releasing new half ass phones instead of taking their time, making people start ignoring the company when they eventually release a good product)

Sega released the Dreamcast. First with 4 player support, first with ONLINE play, first with "take the game with you" (considering the technology limitation of the time, of course, and price), all units are dev consoles running Windows CE, meaning all documentation is online, good controller, powerful system, finally some great games, and more... no one cared. Much like no one bothered checking out reviews of the Blackberry 10 when it was released.

Nintendo is not desperate. Nintendo has money, lots of it. WiiU might be the third selling console, but as of now, it brings money to the Nintendo. Nintendo sees themselves as a toy company. And that is what they make. A toy. Their games are designed for it. Microsoft and Sony goes to devs and asks: "What do you want for the next console?". Nintendo makes the console for themselves and if you want to join, you are welcomed (as long as you are approved (which if you are indie is actually easy, all you need is a safe, a house with alarm system, and 2000-2500$ U.S).

It is interesting to see this conversation (I am talking in general here), you can clearly see who was born during which time, as they completely ignore previous innovations or history, and just takes everything for granted.

lolwut, now go back and read up on a bit of history

I'm familiar, and he's a blowhard like Richard Stallman. He didn't actually do the bulk of the work. He just tacked on a couple things which made it attractive.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This may surprise some people but if you look at the games in any given series, separate them into logical categories (Console, Handheld, Mobile etc) and exclude anything none main series (For example Links Crossbow Training) then the main Nintendo IP's being Zelda, Starfox, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Kirby, Smash Bros. They tend to be released far less often and in some cases have fewer games in total. The only annual release that comes to mind is Pokemon, but that is made by the Pokemon Company.

For example there are more main series Assassins Creed games than there are 3D Console released Zelda games. The Assassins Creed was release 9 years after the first 3D Zelda game (Ocarina of Time) so its a scary thought. Far Cry series is nearly on par with with Zelda games (4 main Far Cry games vs 5 main 3D zelda games). You could choose to include Blood Dragon to make them even.

Back to Zelda, have you ever wondered WHY the games have an eerily similar story? I'll give you a clue: The Legend of Zelda...... Can you see it? The main word is LEGEND. The entire series is based on the same basic story, a legend. Each game can be viewed as another persons take on the classic story, there are some minor changes here and there but the basic concept remains the same. You have a hero, you have a Princess, you have a villain and finally the Master Sword. Some games don't exactly follow the legend, in fact Skyward Sword (The earliest chronologically) establishes the legend and games such as Majoras Mask, A Link Between Worlds expand upon it further since can be classed as sequels but at the same time not quite (The Zelda timeline is famously complex).

If you've never played a Zelda game or think they all play the same (You could not be more wrong by the way) then try Ocarina of Time and work your way up, you will see massive change in art style, gameplay mechanics and the actual controls.

If you choose to outright ignore a game or simply not play it because its similar to a past game then you should probably only ever play 1 game from each genre. That 1 Racing game, 1 Shooter, 1 RPG, 1 Platform, etc etc because based on that logic once you played one game you've played them all ;) right?........ Didn't think so.

Happy gaming :)

Read Hyrule Historia. Each game is a separate chapter, and there are three simultaneous timelines of Link's character based on the possible outcomes in multiple games. It's not the same story rehashed. The arcs are similar, but the characters, the places, the style, the mechanics, and a slew of other things are different.

Correction. Sony they, when did introduced the Sony Bravia with active 3D. (Including CoD Black Ops, which is pretty cool in 3D)

Nintendo only messed it up. There has not been a official 3D game for the PS since the release of the 3DS.

Facepalm* 3D world and characters, not 3D vision. Jesus people...

He didn't say Stereoscopic 3D. And how is a TV defining gameplay.

Transistor, Shovel Knight, DA: I, Alien Isolation, Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor. It's more Nintendo and the unexpected games were the ones that delivered as opposed to the ones that had hype the size of the Titanic behind them.

All of these are 1 game.

Nintendo released a butt load of high quality, original game play experience, witch also sold each game more than the listed games, despite only available on a console that isn't flying off shelves. It shows the appeal that Nintendo games has. Not to mention that Nintendo games have an extreme level of details, something that most big games today barely have.

They deserve that title.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. = Steam coming to Wii U.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Read Hyrule Historia. Each game is a separate chapter, and there are three simultaneous timelines of Link's character based on the possible outcomes in multiple games. It's not the same story rehashed. The arcs are similar, but the characters, the places, the style, the mechanics, and a slew of other things are different.

I know all of that, when I say story I was referring to the Legend rather than the narrative and structure of the games story :)

Project Tank

I'm familiar, and he's a blowhard like Richard Stallman. He didn't actually do the bulk of the work. He just tacked on a couple things which made it attractive.

Ahahahahahaha,. You amuse me, to be fair Wolfenstein and Doom were not "true 3D" but they introduced what you could do with 3D, Quake was the first true 3D game, which incidentally came out the same year as Mario (96) and a full 2 years before Ocarina Of Time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28video_game%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_64

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

And John Carmack is a Hipster and not an Innovator?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carmack

Also.............

ScreenHunter_06Dec070148_zps314a0882.jpg

Without John Carmack, Gaming today would not be as it is.

Being a lover of their franchises since I was a kid, Nintendo is really one of the only companies that makes me proud (if that makes any sense to you). Those who say they only do the same game over again, well, you're looking at it the wrong way. Nintendo isn't about the spotlight, rich, rushed AAA titles. They take their time to remake some timeless classics that, even if they sound repetitive to some, are going to be played for decades to come. I just CAN NOT get the same good old feelings while playing Mario Party, Mario Kart, 2D Mario's, Animal Crossing and Smash, for example, in other games. And then, we have franchises like Zelda and Metroid, that uses an amazing and original formula again and again, on a different way with innovation and creativity. Nintendo is like a nice grandma who brings us delicious cookies that one simply can't reject. They are an oasis in the pile of shit companies, such as ubisoft, throw at us. And I don't care if I ever abandon gaming for some reason, but I'll always have good memories about Nintendo, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Personally, I really hope they can come up with different games sometimes, of course, but they will never, nor should they, stop making this masterpieces.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

You have to look at what other developers were in the category.

Blizzard don't release many games at all. Heartstone seems great in terms of design and gameplay (haven't played it) so two big thumbs up for that. Other than that I can't really think of any games they have released in 2014. They had a WoW and a Diablo 3 expansion and while the WoW one was huge and upgraded many technical things it's still just a WoW expansion. Not really anything groundbreaking. They have shown Overwatch which is their first new IP in 17 years and for such a long time and development it is pretty underwhelming. If you're going to give Nintendo crap for only releasing like 2-3 new IPs this year then you should give Blizzard far more crap. I don't think you need a new IP to make good games though.

Monolith only released 1 game. Shadow of Mordor is apparently really good but it's still just a single game. The year before that they didn't release any game at all. Not saying that you need to pump out games all the time to be a good studio but even Blizzard has already beat them in my eyes since it's 1 good game vs 1 good, 2 decent exps and shown some new stuff.

What did Telltale Games release this year other than some episodes of The Walking Dead?I can't even remember so probably not anything big and/or good.

Ubisoft... Do I even have to say anything more?

Assassin's Creed Unity was extremely broken and had things like an NDA after the release of the game.

The Crew is not out yet (I think) but knowing Ubisoft's track record for this year it will probably be a huge mess.

Far Cry 4 has things like not being able to work on a dual core for no apparent reason and they recently removed an effect from the PS4 version so that it now matches the Xbone.

Watch_Dogs... Yeah...

On top of that their games runs like crap.

Nintendo:

Mario Kart 8 which is a good game, but they are also releasing a ton of free DLC.

Tomodachi Life is a new IP. I've heard mixed opinions about it so won't comment on how good/bad it is.

NES Remix 2 isn't that great but still far more entertaining than most stuff being released these days.

Captain Toad seems interesting. Not really much to say other than that.

Not sure if Nintendo has developed/helped develop:

Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire might be a remake, but they have upgraded a lot of stuff. The game is more complex, balanced and overall has just been polished in all the important areas.

Super Smash Bros for the WiiU and 3DS, and they are cross-compatible.

Bayonetta 2 seems good but I haven't played the first one, or the second one so can't really comment on it. Don't have a Wii U so it's not like I can play it anyway.

They have also announced Splatoon which seems interesting and innovative. That won't be released this year though so it's unfair to count that.

I think Nintendo deserve the award. Their games look very good, run at a high res and high frame rate even though the console is far less powerful than the rest of the consoles. You might say they look cartooney but I think they look great. I'd rather have a cartoony style running perfectly than an uncanny valley, brown and gray style that runs at 20-30 FPS and glitches out all the time.

I'd also rather have roughly the same game released over and over, with more polish every time, than to have catastrophic new IPs like Watch_Dogs.