GPU for 4K Gaming

treyplay

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a 4K TV. Was wondering what would be better, GTX 970 SLI or a single GTX 980 and then SLI on down the road. It has to be a 900 series since they are the only cards able to do 4k 60hz 4:4:4 chroma over HDMI. I'm fine with not be able to play on ultra or even high settings in 4K as long as the game play is smooth. This is also not going to be my main monitor, my main is a LG 34UM95, it's more for Netflix and Blu-ray but I will be gaming some on it. Thanks!

Go single 980 and then sli down the road if you are not satisfied, one 980 works pretty well for 4k gaming

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

970 SLI will be better, it'll get you more power and won't have a problem running 4k. Costs the same amount too

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Go single 980 and then sli down the road if you are not satisfied, one 980 works pretty well for 4k gaming

And you say that because of?

I´ve tested 4K with my GTX980 2way SLI... it´s kind of okay but nothing I would call super enjoyable. 1 GTX980 though will give you best case med/low settings and between 20-40 FPS in newer games.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a 4K TV. Was wondering what would be better, GTX 970 SLI or a single GTX 980 and then SLI on down the road. It has to be a 900 series since they are the only cards able to do 4k 60hz 4:4:4 chroma over HDMI. I'm fine with not be able to play on ultra or even high settings in 4K as long as the game play is smooth. This is also not going to be my main monitor, my main is a LG 34UM95, it's more for Netflix and Blu-ray but I will be gaming some on it. Thanks!

sli 970's. a single 980 isn't much faster than a single 970 and a single 970 gets murdered by 4k unless you run really low settings which kind of defeats the point in the extra resolution 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

sli 970's. a single 980 isn't much faster than a single 970 and a single 970 gets murdered by 4k unless you run really low settings which kind of defeats the point in the extra resolution 

You have to remember that not everything supports sli, and some games still have problems with it. Therefore he would be better with going one 980 now and then if he feels like he needs more power he can buy another.

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

I'd say just go 1440p.

(:

But really, SLI 980s.

Actually, how good is the 290x?

Sig under construction.

You have to remember that not everything supports sli, and some games still have problems with it. Therefore he would be better with going one 980 now and then if he feels like he needs more power he can buy another.

i haven't come across anything that doesn't support sli yet, that would be demand enough to need both cards.

I'd say just go 1440p.

(:

But really, SLI 980s.

Actually, how good is the 290x?
290X are great value, but only if you have an 850w psu to start with.

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

C´mon really?

As if you could not activate the second card for every game? Games like The Forest don´t have a given SLI profile so, read a bit and come up with one yourself. And again a single GTX980 in 4K is nothing to recommend...

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

That's actually my main concern is all the problems that come with SLI. Also one of the main games I play (World of Warcraft - don't hold that against me lol) does not work with SLI I hear.

Personally, I would always go for the more powerful single GPU over SLI because of the problems with running SLI (if budget allows it) 

my single gtx980 runs COD:AW on maxed settings (AA off, kinda not required at such high res) at 60fps flat. bashing that vsync limiter.

farcry 4 on the other hand its about 25-40 fps... i drop to 1440 and get 60 fps flat... vram is an issue in farcry 4 @ 4k even on the lowest settings at 4k its using it all

OP have you considered a display port compatible 4k tv? might open up AMD options like the r9 290x 8gb http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-vapor-x-r9-290x-8gb,3977-6.html

the r9 290x 8gb is better performing @ 4k than the 970 (the 980 would likley still be faster than the 290x 8gb)

if not then I would suggest you get two gtx980's for a great experience. otherwise a single gtx980 and downscale to 1440.  

the difference in performance between a gtx970 and gtx980 is about 20% 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Personally, I would always go for the more powerful single GPU over SLI because of the problems with running SLI (if budget allows it) 

agree - my experience with crossfire was terrible. 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Cheddle, I did consider the DP route but on the 4K TV when using DP it is MST instead of SST with HDMI and I hear MST can cause lots of problems. It would be different if I was going for a 4K monitor instead of a TV. This is the model I'm purchasing http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA. I really wish they would make a 8gb GTX 980 or 970 but I heard that was a rumor. 

Cheddle, I did consider the DP route but on the 4K TV when using DP it is MST instead of SST with HDMI and I hear MST can cause lots of problems. It would be different if I was going for a 4K monitor instead of a TV. This is the model I'm purchasing http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA. I really wish they would make a 8gb GTX 980 or 970 but I heard that was a rumor. 

MST vs. SST as far as I know is panel specific... this is the whole panel stitching yeah? where MST makes your pc see two panels?

my Samsung u28d590d is a single tile over display port - my pc only sees it as one screen. never had any issues 

It is panel specific but the only "4k TV" that can do 4k 60HZ 4:4:4 chroma over DP is the Panasonic AX800 series and it uses MST. If I buy the GTX 980 i'll be buying the one you own, G1 Gaming, are you happy with the purchase Cheddle? Thanks!

its a great card, very quiet and powerful. my complaint against it was that it is a quite expensive card - even for a 980... any other complaints are not brand specific but more related to nvidia. I wish I had two of them :-)

GPUboost 2.0 reduces core overvolt as early as 70 degrees but it dosnt reduce the core speed enough so there is some potential overclocking loss unless you run the fans high to keep the temps extra low.

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a 4K TV. Was wondering what would be better, GTX 970 SLI or a single GTX 980 and then SLI on down the road. It has to be a 900 series since they are the only cards able to do 4k 60hz 4:4:4 chroma over HDMI. I'm fine with not be able to play on ultra or even high settings in 4K as long as the game play is smooth. This is also not going to be my main monitor, my main is a LG 34UM95, it's more for Netflix and Blu-ray but I will be gaming some on it. Thanks!

Get a single r9 295x2

And crossfire it next time

Gtx 980 on a freaking Tv is not enuf

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

That's actually my main concern is all the problems that come with SLI. Also one of the main games I play (World of Warcraft - don't hold that against me lol) does not work with SLI I hear.

you can just disable it if it doesn't work in a game all you have to do is right click on the desktop, open nvidia control panel and disable sli. 

my single gtx980 runs COD:AW on maxed settings (AA off, kinda not required at such high res) at 60fps flat. bashing that vsync limiter.

farcry 4 on the other hand its about 25-40 fps... i drop to 1440 and get 60 fps flat... vram is an issue in farcry 4 @ 4k even on the lowest settings at 4k its using it all

OP have you considered a display port compatible 4k tv? might open up AMD options like the r9 290x 8gb http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-vapor-x-r9-290x-8gb,3977-6.html

the r9 290x 8gb is better performing @ 4k than the 970 (the 980 would likley still be faster than the 290x 8gb)

if not then I would suggest you get two gtx980's for a great experience. otherwise a single gtx980 and downscale to 1440.  

the difference in performance between a gtx970 and gtx980 is about 20% 

i have no idea what farcry 4 is doing at 4k i can play maxxed out with 4x msaa at 1440p at 80fps. 4k lowest settings with no aa, vram maxxed out 14-40fps! wft. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

you can just disable it if it doesn't work in a game all you have to do is right click on the desktop, open nvidia control panel and disable sli. 

i have no idea what farcry 4 is doing at 4k i can play maxxed out with 4x msaa at 1440p at 80fps. 4k lowest settings with no aa, vram maxxed out 14-40fps! wft. 

i have no idea what the heck its doing either but it definitely cranks the vram, and to be honest it looks fairly bad at 4k... its like the grass / texture / object detail is set too close and you can easily make out the lack of detail at distance with the resolution set to 4k, and the object "blocking" fade in looks sooo bad i find it looks better on my 1080 tv from the couch than it does at my desk in 4k... i just remind myself that if I got it on ps4 I wouldn't be getting 60fps and I feel better about the whole thing lol.

it would look so ridiculously good if the detail distance was 4 times further away and it was running on some crazy future tech gpu. the potential is there.