Project MEGA - My New Main Rig

davidbuss

Welcome to my new build! My old PC was getting pretty old, and to be honest I wasn't very smart at all when I built it, so it was time for an upgrade. Some of you might have seen my Poject NANO scratchbuild that I started last summer (I still promise I'm going to finish it, be patient people  :D) so I figured why not stick with the naming theme and give NANO a bigger brother named MEGA. The name is a bit off considering its an mATX build, but who cares, its bigger than NANO and it sounds cool so oh well. I ordered the parts the other day so they should be in within the next week but for now, here's the parts list:

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($75.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($137.69 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Thermal Armor ($24.65)
Other: NZXT Grid ($16.99)
Total: $1589.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-30 19:34 EST-0500

I decided to hold off on the second 970 for now, because I was slightly on the fence about it, but I think I'm going to just go for it and place the order tomorrow. Also, If you're wondering why the RAM is marked as already purchased, I decided to just scavenge it from my old system to save on price; I really couldn't justify spending another two hundred (ish) dollars on new RAM when I have some that works just fine.

OK so I have about a billion ideas for mods that I could do on this system, and have even gone as far as designing a scratchbult case for it, but I promised myself that I would hold off on them until I finish NANO. At this point I am not sure when that will be but eventually, there will be some sort of modding going on.

Let me know what you guys think!

Project MEGA - My New Main PC

Project NANO - A Scratchbuilt Home Server.

It seems like a great build. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

200 posts! Congrats :P

But yeah, if it is better than mine its a great build.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

200 posts! Congrats :P

Thanks 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Well I don't want to give too much away, but here's a very rough concept for the scratchbuild  ;)

I want that (with the cutouts of course) :o

Yes please.
PS: subbed  :D

Thanks guys!

Top and side glass cover, looks interesting. :D

That bend might not be easy to do even though...

That bend might not be easy to do even though...

It's gonna be tough heating the glass up and getting that bend smoooooth. It's gonna look sick if OP pulls it off.

It's gonna be tough heating the glass up and getting that bend smoooooth. It's gonna look sick if OP pulls it off.

I wouldn't do it. Let the profissionals do it ;)

First package arrived in the mail yesterday guys so I figured I'd show you what that's all about. I would have posted yesterday, but I was actually in the ER with a very bad and sudden case of stomach flu on Monday night, so I really haven't been out of bed until today. Luckily, I'm getting better pretty quickly so I can get back on track with school and this build once all the parts arrived. Enough about me though, here's what came:

The box that arrived was from Newegg. I was actually pretty impressed at how fast their free shipping was.

WWIcYxp.jpg?1

Inside was the power supply and hard drive.

cqlunB0.jpg?1

Just some nerd p0rn at this point. Here's what comes in the box.

FYP8xgT.jpg?1

I have to give EVGA props on their attention to detail here. From a PSU jumper, to bagception, to very nice cable wraps, to a freaking notes section in the manual, they really put a lot of effort into the little things, especially at this price point.

Qy323O4.jpg?1

Thanks for the enthusiasm so far guys!

WWIcYxp.jpg?1

Qy323O4.jpg?1

It surely does!

That leaflet is in portuguese O.o

It surely does!

That leaflet is in portuguese O.o

Haha it's one of those weird manuals that has about two pages for every language so they can save on printing cost.

Definitely following this! Was working out an idea last week in solidworks I had myself which looks pretty similar haha, don't have the budget to build it though... 

i7 4770k // Scythe Mugen PCGH 4 // Asus Maximus VI Hero // Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9 // MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming

Definitely following this! Was working out an idea last week in solidworks I had myself which looks pretty similar haha, don't have the budget to build it though... 

It would certainly be a hell of a project. I guess for now its just a dream  :rolleyes: I'm actaully a bit curious now though; would you mind showing your solidworks model just to see how they compare?

PSU would go in the lower compartment with 2 rads (no vent holes here yet) + 2 rads in the back. 

XnI695z.png

Still lots of stuff that I haven't tought of though, just tought they looked kinda similar :)

i7 4770k // Scythe Mugen PCGH 4 // Asus Maximus VI Hero // Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9 // MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming

PSU would go in the lower compartment with 2 rads (no vent holes here yet) + 2 rads in the back. 

XnI695z.png

Still lots of stuff that I haven't tought of though, just tought they looked kinda similar :)

Looks awesome man! I don't know why, I just really like the idea of raising it off the ground like we both have it. It almost feels like its being put on a pedestal, and quite honestly, if your gonna put that much time into scratchbuilding something then it should be as high up as it can get  :D

More stuff today guys! I'll just jump right in...

Here's what came. One of the boxes is pretty obvious.

cCTinwg.jpg?1

Even the box on this thing is sexy.

FD5zLLj.jpg?1

And there are the two together. It looks big in the picture but really that does it no justice; the 970 is a big card  :D.
lhQF0pM.jpg?1

Next box should come tomorrow. I'll keep the thread updated as more stuff arrives.

Damn this is a cool idea! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I stopped breathing for a second when i saw the 970 sitting on the carpet lol, what has LTT done to me

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Are you going to mod that case to the pic you posted earlier? Or do I just have to wait and see? :rolleyes:

Looks good so far!  Can't wait to see the final pics

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0