LTT Officially apologizes to Armaggedon for misconception about their keyboards

MooseParade

When I saw the original video I knew something bad was going to happen. Anyways, this may actually be a great opportunity for Armaggedon to expand to other markets such as North America with the exclusive help of Linus & crew. Sounds rather exciting to be honest.

This is probably the best thing I've read in this thread (including my own comment of the unboxing idea). This could actually turn out to be beneficial for both parties. Armaggedon branches out into the North American market through LTT/LMG and NCIX then later Newegg/Amazon and Slick and Linus get all the credit for it.

IT'S BRILLIANT!

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Linus, I guess what I'm saying is that you should be in the apology video as well, explaining your part (and not just have it part of the video description). I do not believe Slick to be totally innocent in this whole situation, but all he did was mistake which switches were being used on the specific keyboard he was looking at, he made no claim they were fake. 

Slick is in Korea, there wasn't a way to have them both be in the video at the same time an still have it up before he gets back

Any possible future Armagedon unboxing will be awfully interesting, especially the comments :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

^_^

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

This is probably the best thing I've read in this thread (including my own comment of the unboxing idea). This could actually turn out to be beneficial for both parties. Armaggedon branches out into the North American market through LTT/LMG and NCIX then later Newegg/Amazon and Slick and Linus get all the credit for it.

IT'S BRILLIANT!

Exactly. This mistake by slick is probably business gold for both parties.

Netflix Laptop: Asus G73JH-BST7 Specs: i7-740QM @1.73 but turbo up to 3.00+!, 6GB DDR3, 1GB HD5870, 640GB HD, 16x9

Gaming PC: Specs: i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 16 GB DDR3 G.Skill @1600, 2 2GB MSI 7850's @ 1050/1300, 700w OCZ PSU, Corsair 400R case, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. 2 16x9 Acer monitor (Don't hate)

When I saw the original video I knew something bad was going to happen. Anyways, this may actually be a great opportunity for Armaggedon to expand to other markets such as North America with the exclusive help of Linus & crew. Sounds rather exciting to be honest.Ho

I'm not seeing this as an opportunity to expand for Armaggedon, it seems more like Linus is scrambling to fix the situation (which he did very effectively) that MAY HAVE been some legal repercussions for the team.. How its "business gold" isn't exactly clear to me, as popular as LTT may be, they can't single handedly market a whole company to an entire continent.

I agree with MooseParade. Do a proper unboxing. That should be apology enough.

I'm not seeing this as an opportunity to expand for Armaggedon, it seems more like Linus is scrambling to fix the situation (which he did very effectively) that MAY HAVE been some legal repercussions for the team.. How its "business gold" isn't exactly clear to me, as popular as LTT may be, they can't single handedly market a whole company to an entire continent.

You're right. I guess I was thinking on too grand of a scale. To revise my thoughts, this situation may be a great opportunity for both parties which may start with a simple unboxing of their product in the near future.

Netflix Laptop: Asus G73JH-BST7 Specs: i7-740QM @1.73 but turbo up to 3.00+!, 6GB DDR3, 1GB HD5870, 640GB HD, 16x9

Gaming PC: Specs: i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 16 GB DDR3 G.Skill @1600, 2 2GB MSI 7850's @ 1050/1300, 700w OCZ PSU, Corsair 400R case, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. 2 16x9 Acer monitor (Don't hate)

LTT has apologised, they have made a mistake as all of us do, this thread shudnt even exist as a place for defence and discussion that serves no purpose. Linus and crew are handling the situation.. end of story.

I was wondering about that, May it is because the letters are on the upper side of the key and they wanted the led right below it.

Also looks like they deleted the video :( darn it, really wanted to see it! 

Just checked on my Ducky Shine, text is at the bottom, LED at the top, but I guess if you want the LED at the bottom you'll have to rotate the switch ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

It was a mistake, and mistakes can happen. Especially when Linus and Slick are seriously jetlagged / tired and so on.

I can see Armageddon not being happy about it, but this is neither the end of LMG nor Armageddon.

But I really don't see the big deal here. LMG and Armageddon can find a solution, and make it work. I don't see the whole hype in the community.

It happens everyday, not very accurate stuff, all over the news-/papers, internet [probably 80% of it xD] and not even Linus is safe of it.

And they should not offer Keyboards with non-genue switches in the first place so this could never have happened ;P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

You should have read my post directly below the one you quoted. LLT is still growing but has major connections to NCIX, which is a major retailer for both Canada and the US. 

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

My main question is that why did the group rush and bash Armageddon before even asking them in person and giving them a chance to explain themselves, when Linus already knows LTTs huge viewer base as well as the impact it can have on a brand.

On a related note; if you were to go to Armageddons FB page, there are still viewers who are bashing Armageddon and are wanting them to apologize for forcing Slick to apologize to them. I really do hope that Linus and Slick will discuss this in more detail on the livestream and actually make Armageddon come across as a reputable and clean company, not only for Armageddons sake but for their own reputations sake as well.

Post-

I cant believe you would refuse to let LinusTechTips and Slick inside your booth at Computex 2013 and then have the cheek to force Slick to make an apology video when he made a honest mistake.
Guess what Armageddon, there's 371,603 people that wont be buying your products anymore!

Don't think of me as a person who has lost faith in either side, that being LTT or Armageddon, but as a user who just wants the truth to come across so people know what both groups, LTT and Armageddon truly stand for so we can end this once and for all and continue on. While I agree an apology video was made, it still has not recieved the same amount of views as the original video and many people are feeling that you were forced to make it.

PS- To those who are saying that Slick should have been given a chance to see them, this is word from Armageddons FB page-

We did not let Slick video in our booth because we had asked for identification that he was indeed from the media and he refused to provide any. Unfortunately because we're largely focused in the Asia market we do not recognize Slick in person even though we have heard of Linus Tech Tips and thus would have required identification to allow them to video within the booth.

It is unfortunate that they chose to react with a false report out of whatever emotions that they may have had towards the brand. But the switches used are definitely Cherry MX, there's no way to 'cheat' it when the embossing on each of the switches is clearly identifiable on each switch.

Regards,
Team Armaggeddon

PC in Profile

I thought my post and Dave's made it phenomenally clear that anything in this thread that can be construed as an attack on Armageddon will be removed.

This has to be handled very delicately and the community's defense of me, Slick, and Linus Tech Tips in general caused the situation to escalate and more damage to be done than was necessary in both the comments on the original video and the first forum thread.

We were wrong. We don't want any defense. In fact, it's important to us that there's no defense. 

While I agree with what you are saying, this is a public forum, (and I'm not saying I know what he said) but freedom of speech is important, and we must allow people to say their opinions, regardless of whether we believe that they are mistaken or that the facts backing up their opinion were wrong. For all you know djGrr could have had previous problems with Armageddon and he is allowed to be annoyed with them. Just saying..no hate intended. - Also , perhaps Armageddon should have allowed Slick to video in their booth...I assume you had media passes.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

I thought my post and Dave's made it phenomenally clear that anything in this thread that can be construed as an attack on Armageddon will be removed.

This has to be handled very delicately and the community's defense of me, Slick, and Linus Tech Tips in general caused the situation to escalate and more damage to be done than was necessary in both the comments on the original video and the first forum thread.

We were wrong. We don't want any defense. In fact, it's important to us that there's no defense. 

... Guys (fellow forum members). Read. Move on. Tis life.

Making a big deal out of it will only hurt from here on out.

Whether this is a "public" forum or not, it's Linus' forum before it's anything else. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

On a related note; if you were to go to Armageddons FB page, there are still viewers who are bashing Armageddon and are wanting them to apologize for forcing Slick to apologize to them. I really do hope that Linus and Slick will discuss this in more detail on the livestream and actually make Armageddon come across as a reputable and clean company, not only for Armageddons sake but for their own reputations sake as well.

If there'd just been some lighthearted video saying "Hey guys, so yesterday we made a video blah blah blah and screwed up royally. The switches are absolutely, definitely, 100% genuine cherry switches. Our bad. We'll have an Armageddon rep making an appearance in next week's livestream", I doubt there'd be much trouble. The problem is that it feels "forced"...Ghost made a joke about Slick being held at gunpoint, but it does kind of feel like that. Don't get me wrong, Armageddon have every right to be ticked off, but to evoke this kind of apology video is potentially worse for PR than the mistake LTT made in the first place.

None of this is to attack or defend anyone, but simply to say that this little drama has a rather ominous air to it that doesn't help anyone and potentially makes things worse.

If there'd just been some lighthearted video saying "Hey guys, so yesterday we made a video blah blah blah and screwed up royally. The switches are absolutely, definitely, 100% genuine cherry switches. Our bad. We'll have an Armageddon rep making an appearance in next week's livestream", I doubt there'd be much trouble. The problem is that it feels "forced"...Ghost made a joke about Slick being held at gunpoint, but it does kind of feel like that. Don't get me wrong, Armageddon have every right to be ticked off, but to evoke this kind of apology video is potentially worse for PR than the mistake LTT made in the first place.

None of this is to attack or defend anyone, but simply to say that this little drama has a rather ominous air to it that doesn't help anyone and potentially makes things worse.

I agree and that's why my post (which quotes Linus' post) above you needs to be heeded. :| ASAP.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

On a partially relevant side note to this video; does everyone mount Cherry switches with the Cherry text upside down or was Corsair being special with the K95 because of the backlight.

This is normal. This is indeed done because the LED for backlighting the switch is on the "bottom" of the switch, thus needing to turn it 180 degrees to make the LED light tthe printing of the keycap. I don't know if they mount them this way in non-backlit keyboards or not.

Whether this is a "public" forum or not, it's Linus' forum before it's anything else. :|

So you're saying linus doesn't believe in freedom of speech? The whole point of the forum is to talk about stuff...all of us , not just people Linus allows to talk. I assume he wants people to talk , otherwise he wouldn't have set it up. That's all I'm saying.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

You guys need to understand that Linus needs to keep good relationships with companies...

As Linus said in the other thread - any posts which direct hate toward Armaggedon or other users will be removed. Keep it civil and please don't post post in order to cause unrest. If it becomes completely out of control, it will be closed.

No hate towards Armaggeddon, in fact, proud owner of the MKA-3 Black Hornet......which uses authentic Cherry Red switches btw. Anyway, anyone and everyone makes mistakes, part of life, the thing to do is to man up and apologize. Slick has done that, so I guess we can move on.... :)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

So you're saying linus doesn't believe in freedom of speech? The whole point of the forum is to talk about stuff...all of us , not just people Linus allows to talk. I assume he wants people to talk , otherwise he wouldn't have set it up. That's all I'm saying.

No, I'm saying Linus should right-fully have the final decision about what's talked about and how on his forum.

He already said it, it's not a democracy. He makes the final decision. And there is reason for that. 

For example, if I go and start spreading mis-information, he can delete my posts because he doesn't want that on his forums. That's not really different from what he did earlier.

† Christian Member †

Armageddon .....

Never heard of them and really don't expect to buy anything by them in the future and that has nothing to do with what has appeared on Linus Tech Tips website.

and my Youtube comment after seeing the apology ...

"Armaggedon had the incorrect box behind the product.  Shouldn't they be questioned for having something like that at the show ? False advertising.  If you are going to show a product make sure the sign or box is correct.

As for Armaggeddon saying to apologize.  It was a mistake.  I don't think this is the kind of thing you say sorry for.  I think making a video and stating the product indeed does have Cherry MX switches is enough.  A correction video & not an apologizing video." 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S