LTT Officially apologizes to Armaggedon for misconception about their keyboards

MooseParade

Yes and in the original video this is exactly what Slick said, he made no claim that any keyboards they sell have fake switches, just different switches, he in fact said that these alternate switches are NOT fake or counterfeit in any way, so him apologizing for that seems silly to me.

The problem in the video is that the keyboard he's holding in the video HAS Cherry MX switches, while he proceeds to point at them and say they are missing Cherry branding etc. It was a serious error, and it was compounded by my sensationalist video title. 

I just need the community to back us up on this one by NOT backing us up on this one.

Trust me. The apology is warranted and it is not "silly". We made a number of mistakes. Some were me, some were Slick, all of them were preventable if we'd done things correctly, and as such we take full responsibility for them.

Linus, I guess what I'm saying is that you should be in the apology video as well, explaining your part (and not just have it part of the video description). I do not believe Slick to be totally innocent in this whole situation, but all he did was mistake which switches were being used on the specific keyboard he was looking at, he made no claim they were fake. 

Linus, I guess what I'm saying is that you should be in the apology video as well, explaining your part (and not just have it part of the video description). I do not believe Slick to be totally innocent in this whole situation, but all he did was mistake which switches were being used on the specific keyboard he was looking at, he made no claim they were fake. 

Duly noted, but we aren't re-making it at this point. The goal on our side is to apologize to Armageddon, apologize to our viewers, and move on. We are not looking to continue to drag this out.

Dear Linus and Slick,

actually I didn't get from the original video that the keyboard Slick (does this mean we can call him Luke now?) was holding was advertising genuine Cherry MX switches, while they were actually not. 

What I got from the video was that there are mechanical keyboards with "red-like" switches that aren't actually Cherry MX switches, and that we should do enough research when buying a mechanical keyboard, aswell as testing a keyboard when buying one. Also, I rewatched the video, paused it when the closup of the switches showed up, and I saw no printing that suggested Cherry MX switches. I am not surprised that even if the printing were there, Slick didn't see it.

I am a little disapointed that Armageddon reacted the way they did (I know they already apologised for that, but it still happened), but I for one believe that Linusmediagroup reacted appropriatly on the news of their mistake.

Slick (& Linus): apology accepted, thanks for the honesty. Don't feel to bad, anybody can make a mistake, and you corrected yours. You have not lost my faith in your opinions, and will continue to look forward to your new content. I believe you both did a great job at Computex, and Luke, you deserve an extra thumbs up, because you did a great job of hosting the B-team!

Keep up the good work!

Greetings from Belgium,

Stef

Duly noted, but we aren't re-making it at this point. The goal on our side is to apologize to Armageddon, apologize to our viewers, and move on. We are not looking to continue to drag this out.

See Linus, this is the reason why I love this forum and LMG. Not only are you doing good and trying prove that you made a mistake, but you also reply to people so they can understand it better. And BTW guys, a mistake is a mistake and LMG apologiesed for it. No need for bashing on Linus OR Armageddon. 

Just out of curiosity, how many views did the video have? 

Tbh Linus, I wouldn't worry about this too much. You apologized to Armageddon, pulled the video, and you're spending your precious time correcting members on the forum. I'm sure Armageddon will accept your apology, because everyone makes mistakes. Let's face it Linus, even you (slick as well) are human :P.

Personally I feel the best way to go about it at this point is to just let this topic die. People will forget about it soon enough, so just push on through these next couple days Linus! :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

All my respect for Linus Media Group for doing this, in such a professional way, maybe they diserved an apology, maybe not. But the way that this was handled, epic! True congratz!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Calm down guys, it was a mistake, no point in debating it, it has already happened...

Spelt Armageddon wrong, as they have double g's and d's. :P

If you made a genuine mistake and have put that right then I wouldn't even bother allowing discussion over it.

Every single one of us knows that humans make mistakes. It's when those same humans think they are too big to apologise.

I would just lock the thread tbh and leave it there.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

If you made a genuine mistake and have put that right then I wouldn't even bother allowing discussion over it.

Every single one of us knows that humans make mistakes. It's when those same humans think they are too big to apologise.

I would just lock the thread tbh and leave it there.

+1

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

First off your the bigger person for taking responsibility . I wouldnt be to hard on your self . You guys do a lot work. I feel they should have also had someone outside the booth to assist you in there product. Or let you in there booth.This is my opinion. keep up the good work

Guys what we have here is your classic case of NBD (Not a Big Deal). Mistake was made. Apology came after. End of story. 

Why not do an unboxing of two of Armageddons keyboards one Cherry switched and one non-Cherry switched?

Mistakes happen and Slick isn't the first person to report false information.

Lessons to be learned.

Slick

- Confirm and verify information before going on cam and reporting it.

- If vendors refuse entry because they don't know who you are then provide them information. IE, this forum, the LinusTechTips channel.
show them how many viewers you have, where they live...etc

- If they choose not to allow you in, leave your card with your contact info on it and channel links.

if they don't see the benefit of free advertising, then that's their problem, move on.

Armaggedon
- Have someone available for ALL media who show up at your booth regardless if you know who they are.

- Just because Linus and Slick are based in Canada does not mean that they aren't watched by people in markets you sell to.
Free advertising is good, don't shoo Youtube channel reviewers away just because they don't have million viewers.

NCIXCom channel alone is watched thousands of people all over the planet.

- People outside your target market who see your products and decide they want one WILL spend the extra money to get it shipped to where they are if they feels it's worth it.

Also.

Shows like Computex have systems in place to vet the vendors they allow into their shows
if a company is known for selling knockoffs or pirate goods they will not be allowed in and
if they manage to get in will be kicked out once they are found out to be selling such products.

I've worked many shows in Canada [Electronics, Homes, crafts...etc] and I can verify that the big ones
do not tolerate having companies like that on their floors.

they do make knock-offs. they actually sell fake cherry mx switches.

I thought they had both a Cherry MX line as well as one that they use some generic ones? Probably should have done a bit more looking into the situation..

Either way, I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival for the next live stream and all the stories about Computex! 

I kind of went awww during the entire video.

Also, point made

Linus, do not let Slick in front of a camera with out his glasses on

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

Mistakes happen and Slick isn't the first person to report false information.

Lessons to be learned.

Slick

- Confirm and verify information before going on cam and reporting it.

- If vendors refuse entry because they don't know who you are then provide them information. IE, this forum, the LinusTechTips channel.

show them how many viewers you have, where they live...etc

Armaggedon

- Have someone available for ALL media who show up at your booth regardless if you know who they are.

- Just because Linus and Slick are based in Canada does not mean that they aren't watched by people in markets you sell to.

NCIXCom channel alone is watched thousands of people all over the planet.

- People outside your target market who see your products and decide they want one WILL spend the extra money to get it shipped to where they are if they feels it's worth it.

Also.

Shows like Computex have systems in place to vet the vendors they allow into their shows

if a company is known for selling knockoffs or pirate goods they will not be allowed in and

if they manage to get in will be kicked out once they are found out to be selling such products.

I've worked many shows in Canada [Electronics, Homes, crafts...etc] and I can verify that the big ones

do not tolerate having companies like that on their floors.

^this exactly.

im part of the market where they sell their products and their brand is new to us. what we don't understand is when LMG wasn't allowed because they don't know you guys when most of the Filipino computer enthusiasts subscribe to your channel.

at least this topic cleared out everything and affected parties admitted they learned their lesson.

as what has been mentioned, human as we are, we all make mistake. what's important is that we learn from it.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

Looking at Armageddon's website this is the keyboard where slick read that the keyboard did not have Cherry Red switches. http://armaggeddon.net/gaming-keyboards/strikeeagle-mki-3/

This is the only keyboard they produce with these switches; the rest of their keyboards either have Cherry switches or are membrane keyboards. What I gathered from this is that the non-cherry switches are simply used to drive down the price. In fact Its probably something missing from the US/Europe market as there is no cheaper mechanical alternative made by a reputable brand that I know of.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Maybe this thread should be closed. You've clearly explained the topic well enough; continuing the discussion will only make it harder to move on from a situation that no one wants to be in.

Maybe this thread should be closed. You've clearly explained the topic well enough; continuing the discussion will only make it harder to move on from a situation that no one wants to be in.

Honestly, the thread is okay thus far.  We are talking about it, but not going at each other or slamming anyone.  However it can always turn quick.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Ok guy's what has happened, has already happened and can not be changed.

I have 2 songs that are great for this occasion and no I am not trying to be funny. My thoughts on life are,

"What does not kill you,makes you stronger and what makes you stronger makes you a better person inside and out."

Linus and Slick will bounce back from this.

This song is to both of you.

Win In The End

this other song is, what the title says,

and is dedicated to just Linus :)

Break the Ice :)

Hope this puts a smile on both of your faces and makes you laugh just a little as well. :)

Yes , I know this is a little corny, but really it is to lighten the air guys.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Let's get back to computer news now please.

i saw ALL  the LTT/ LMG coverage of computex13 and after such a job / stress, i would understand a bit of sarcasm or sharp phrasing; but after seeing Slicks apology-vid i have to say; that is professional work ! there are not many people ( yeah journalists) rectifying their work / themselfs out of courage.  

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

Is it just me or was Slick right? I couldn't see a cherry mx logo on those keyboards, cant verify this now as the video has been removed.

When I saw the original video I knew something bad was going to happen. Anyways, this may actually be a great opportunity for Armaggedon to expand to other markets such as North America with the exclusive help of Linus & crew. Sounds rather exciting to be honest.

Netflix Laptop: Asus G73JH-BST7 Specs: i7-740QM @1.73 but turbo up to 3.00+!, 6GB DDR3, 1GB HD5870, 640GB HD, 16x9

Gaming PC: Specs: i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 16 GB DDR3 G.Skill @1600, 2 2GB MSI 7850's @ 1050/1300, 700w OCZ PSU, Corsair 400R case, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. 2 16x9 Acer monitor (Don't hate)