LTT Officially apologizes to Armaggedon for misconception about their keyboards

MooseParade

The entire situation really stinks though.  It seems like a minor mishap was made into a Mountain.  I feel for you guys because like Men you guys took the blame regardless of the politics and truth behind everything.  I applaud you guys for that, I have my opinions, however in this business I believe the decision your company made was probably the best rather than get into a pissing match with another company (although smaller in popularity) still bad for business.  I guess who is actually in the right is irrelevant, it's about manning up and being honorable.  +1 to LTT.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

The entire situation really stinks though.  It seems like a minor mishap was made into a Mountain.  I feel for you guys because like Men you guys took the blame regardless of the politics and truth behind everything.  I applaud you guys for that, I have my opinions, however in this business I believe the decision your company made was probably the best rather than get into a pissing match with another company (although smaller in popularity) still bad for business.  I guess who is actually in the right is irrelevant, it's about manning up and being honorable.  +1 to LTT.

Yes its been a bit overstated, BUT as a professional company you never want anyone thinking that you make knock-offs. They have the right to be pissed.

Either way it was a complete mistake, that's being handled perfectly by LTT. I also am a big fan of Slick's reviews nevertheless.  :D

so armageddon wanted Slick on video hostage style and have him apologize for informing everybody about genuine cherry versus other mechanical switches? and all this after they told him that they had no knowledge of linus tech tips?

okaay... well i hope this will be the end of it.

A proper unboxing and review (by Slick) would seem appropriate. It would accomplish two things; LTT could review one their models giving the viewers a proper look since we were unable to do so at Computex and in return would give Armaggedon publicity of their products there by making up for any ill feelings.

Edit: To take it even further there could be a giveaway of the keyboard being reviewed. Just my $.02.

+1

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Unfortunately I can't watch the original video, but it seems slick made a very minor mistake.

Am I correct in saying the keyboard with Cherry MX switches (the MKA-3) was part of a 'display' placed directly in front of the box for the MKI-3 which states on it's website that...

'Yes, this keyboard comes with the elusive Mechanical switches which replicates the action of the Mechanical Red Switches of other brands and is reasonably priced.'

Slick from what I was gathering, was merely pointing out that there's a difference between genuine Cherry MX switches, and those which are replicas which are ofc cheaper. 

The confusing part was that the product was in front of the wrong box, so the fault lies with whoever arranged it in that manner. But in fairness It seems that the use of the word 'counterfeit' was the real contentious issue. Which was a mistake made by Linus. Personally, I think the wrong person made the apology video. 

The major issue was that the box behind the keyboard and the keyboard on display were not the same thing.  He read the box specs and made a conclusion based on what he saw. 

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Oh, unlucky Slick. They should have put the correct box behind it, but I guess it was a misunderstanding.

Wow, my post defending slick was deleted? So now LTT is stooping to censorship? Well, you've lost my respect.

Don't worry Slick; we all make mistakes. More importantly, it's not about the mistakes you make, it's about the way you handle them, and IMO you guys did a pretty good job with the apology :)

the whole thing is caused by them just not allowing slick to review their products 

the whole video was taken through a window... 

The only mistake I can see there is to show a product from a company that doesn know how to market their own products.

I thought it was a little bit unnecessary to do that video with so limited access.....

But we all know Linus and Slick have some kind of obsession for CherryMX keyboards.

i kinda agree with this. if you aren't allowed to review the product or let someone even touch it, i doubt you'd be able to figure out everything accurately.

Wow, my post defending slick was deleted? So now LTT is stooping to censorship? Well, you've lost my respect.

I thought my post and Dave's made it phenomenally clear that anything in this thread that can be construed as an attack on Armageddon will be removed.

This has to be handled very delicately and the community's defense of me, Slick, and Linus Tech Tips in general caused the situation to escalate and more damage to be done than was necessary in both the comments on the original video and the first forum thread.

We were wrong. We don't want any defense. In fact, it's important to us that there's no defense. 

Unfortunately I can't watch the original video, but it seems slick made a very minor mistake.

Am I correct in saying the keyboard with Cherry MX switches (the MKA-3) was part of a 'display' placed directly in front of the box for the MKI-3 which states on it's website that...

'Yes, this keyboard comes with the elusive Mechanical switches which replicates the action of the Mechanical Red Switches of other brands and is reasonably priced.'

Slick from what I was gathering, was merely pointing out that there's a difference between genuine Cherry MX switches, and those which are replicas which are ofc cheaper. 

The confusing part was that the product was in front of the wrong box, so the fault lies with whoever arranged it in that manner. But in fairness It seems that the use of the word 'counterfeit' was the real contentious issue. Which was a mistake made by Linus. Personally, I think the wrong person made the apology video. 

This is a good point, and if Slick and I were on the same continent the video could have contained both of us. Right now timeliness is a huge factor in helping to right the wrong, and Armageddon asked us to have Slick host the video since he was the host of the original one, even if the problem with the video description was caused by me.

More than anything else, we are just trying to avoid having this continue to drag out because every additional comment or opinion on the matter just adds further intrigue about something that was a simple mis-communication between me and Slick and a misunderstanding between Slick and the staff at the Armageddon booth.

Yes its been a bit overstated, BUT as a professional company you never want anyone thinking that you make knock-offs. They have the right to be pissed.

Either way it was a complete mistake, that's being handled perfectly by LTT. I also am a big fan of Slick's reviews nevertheless.  :D

they do make knock-offs. they actually sell fake cherry mx switches.

Maybe if China clamped down on all the counterfeit junk that comes out of their country, Legitimate company's wouldn't get tarred with the same brush,

LTT made a mistake being human an all, Slick apologised that should be the end of it,

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I thought my post and Dave's made it phenomenally clear that anything in this thread that can be construed as an attack on Armageddon will be removed.

This has to be handled very delicately and the community's defense of me, Slick, and Linus Tech Tips in general caused the situation to escalate and more damage to be done than was necessary in both the comments on the original video and the first forum thread.

We were wrong. We don't want any defense. In fact, it's important to us that there's no defense. 

I in no way said anything that could be construed as an attack on Armageddon, I didn't even mention them for god sakes. All I said was actually more against you than anyone else. I think its unfair that the video implies that this was all slicks fault, when in fact it was your title that made the suggestion of anything being fake or counterfeit, not slick at all.

Easier to take fault then to fight it, probably the best decision in this case.

they do make knock-offs. they actually sell fake cherry mx switches.

Armageddon does sell non-Cherry mechanical keyboard, but they are clearly labeled as such. The problem in this video is that the keyboard Slick was looking at was not the same as the box he was looking at. The box was for a non-Cherry MX switch keyboard, and the keyboard itself was a Cherry MX switch keyboard.

It's very important right now that the community listens to what we're saying to avoid any more misconceptions being spread around.

I in no way said anything that could be construed as an attack on Armageddon, I didn't even mention them for god sakes. All I said was actually more against you than anyone else. I think its unfair that the video implies that this was all slicks fault, when in fact it was your title that made the suggestion of anything being fake or counterfeit, not slick at all.

I'm sorry if you feel like I removed something that was unfair. I was doing a general prune of the thread and it's possible yours got caught in the crossfire. 

The first line of the video description reads as follows: "In the original video we posted, the title (created by Linus, not Slick) mistakenly referred to the switches being used on the keyboard as "counterfeit" Cherry MX switches, but they are NOT. "

I'm am 100% to blame for that aspect of this mess. I am not trying to censor that fact or hide it.

Armageddon does sell non-Cherry mechanical keyboard, but they are clearly labeled as such.

Yes and in the original video this is exactly what Slick said, he made no claim that any keyboards they sell have fake switches, just different switches, he in fact said that these alternate switches are NOT fake or counterfeit in any way, so him apologizing for that seems silly to me.

I understand that YOU need to thread lightly, but if they react to anything your fans say on your forum, then there's something that's not right here.

Please don't fire Slick! 

Armageddon does sell non-Cherry mechanical keyboard, but they are clearly labeled as such. The problem in this video is that the keyboard Slick was looking at was not the same as the box he was looking at. The box was for a non-Cherry MX switch keyboard, and the keyboard itself was a Cherry MX switch keyboard.

It's very important right now that the community listens to what we're saying to avoid any more misconceptions being spread around.

well then in all honesty i fail to see the issue. the fault is with armagedon for failing to display said products correctly. if i labeled a cd i put out called "justin bieber sing along" and it was actually "ermagerd metallica 87 more metal yeah" i'm pretty sure i'd be at fault for giving a false representation of said product.

it's nice that Lmg is attempting to keep a professional demeanor and to be well received, but in all respect i think you guys did wrong to say the blame is all on you guys. it was all armageddons fault in my eyes, and to insult a company with claims that they are not known to them, then demand for this "unknown company" to backpedal.... c'mon.

Making one small mistake, in one video out of many, during the last week isn't bad. It's sad that it escalated in a unfortunate way. Water under the bridge and what not. The error is corrected and an apology issued, should be enough. They had the chance to spend to those 5 minutes showing their products.

... Guys (fellow forum members). Read. Move on. Tis life.

Making a big deal out of it will only hurt from here on out.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.