World biggest dump truck goes electric

ahhming

The dump truck carry enormous loads at a lower cost per ton than previous models and reach speeds of up to 64 km/h when not carrying any load.

Four motors, each with an output of 1,200 kilowatts. All of that rolls on eight tires that can, together, handle up to 810 metric tons.

The controls included features such as dynamic power distribution between the truck’s two axels and the ability to keep driving even if one of the motors fails. The AC electric drive is powered by two 16-cylindar-diesel engines that each have an output of about 1,700 kW. The truck is more than 20 meters long and nearly 10 meters wide.

4b9d1c54-2c69-4f81-8739-e9e37a5ad3d3-141

Reducing the reliance on diesel by improving efficiency is important for mining trucks because of environmental regulations and cost competition, according to Siemens.

Source:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/environment/worlds-biggest-dump-truck-goes-electric

That's fortunate, I bet this thing pollutes like crazy

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

its a hybrid not electric

Well. Technically it's electric. It does not have a hybrid mode.

The movement is solely electric. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The dump truck carry enormous loads at a lower cost per ton than previous models and reach speeds of up to 64 km/h when not carrying any load.

Four motors, each with an output of 1,200 kilowatts. All of that rolls on eight tires that can, together, handle up to 810 metric tons.

The controls included features such as dynamic power distribution between the truck’s two axels and the ability to keep driving even if one of the motors fails. The AC electric drive is powered by two 16-cylindar-diesel engines that each have an output of about 1,700 kWThe truck is more than 20 meters long and nearly 10 meters wide.

4b9d1c54-2c69-4f81-8739-e9e37a5ad3d3-141

Reducing the reliance on diesel by improving efficiency is important for mining trucks because of environmental regulations and cost competition, according to Siemens.

Source:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/environment/worlds-biggest-dump-truck-goes-electric

wut 

Diesel? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well. Technically it's electric. It does not have a hybrid mode.

The movement is solely electric. 

its has an engine that uses fuel therefore it is a hybrid

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

No. A hybrid has to have two sources of momentum. The engine does not power the wheels directly.

No. A hybrid has to have two sources of momentum. The engine does not power the wheels directly.

well lets just not call it electric

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

so it uses diesel engines to make electricty, vs diesel to drive the wheels? I always wondered how efficent this was, because with normal transmissions you lose about 30% of power just though the drive train. plus, yeah diesels have a lot of torque, but electric engines are the king of torque. that and these things probably had a million billion gear gearbox, because diesel engines have such a small power band, while electric engines have a flat power curve. 

I always wondered about this for normal car applications, like how sweet would it be if you can have a telsa, and after the battery got to 50%, you can turn on small engine that can run at its peak efficient to generate electricity, instead of constantly getting revved out or sitting to low. engines like a precise RPM, and if you can tailor a engine to run at that one RPM, and just that, they can get really efficient. My guess is the best use would be low speed/high torque situations. 

how cool would it be if you car had its own generator though. would be useful for power outages and such. 

OH OOH. another benfit, I heard that using the heat in electric cars can cut their range in half. makes sense, electric heaters are so inefficient. so you could also use that engine in the winter to generate said heat. 

so it uses diesel engines to make electricty, vs diesel to drive the wheels? I always wondered how efficent this was, because with normal transmissions you lose about 30% of power just though the drive train. plus, yeah diesels have a lot of torque, but electric engines are the king of torque. that and these things probably had a million billion gear gearbox, because diesel engines have such a small power band, while electric engines have a flat power curve. 

I always wondered about this for normal car applications, like how sweet would it be if you can have a telsa, and after the battery got to 50%, you can turn on small engine that can run at its peak efficient to generate electricity, instead of constantly getting revved out or sitting to low. engines like a precise RPM, and if you can tailor a engine to run at that one RPM, and just that, they can get really efficient. My guess is the best use would be low speed/high torque situations. 

how cool would it be if you car had its own generator though. would be useful for power outages and such. 

OH OOH. another benfit, I heard that using the heat in electric cars can cut their range in half. makes sense, electric heaters are so inefficient. so you could also use that engine in the winter to generate said heat. 

And the engine does not have to rev more to go faster. They can just run at a constant speed. And then batteries and inverters control the flow. 

And now using nuclear reactors.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

And now using nuclear reactors.

*Rock touches wheel*

BA-BOOOOMMMMM!

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

An electric car still has to be powered a power plant. Usually coal. 

but its not part of the car

but its not part of the car

But the definition of an electric car is a car that is powered by electric and electric only. And this is. 

There are other "Electric" cars like this such as the Fisker Karma.

And the engine does not have to rev more to go faster. They can just run at a constant speed. And then batteries and inverters control the flow. 

exactly. when your driving the car, the engine is very rarely in the best possible power band. that and the less situations a engine is, the better tuned it can be. like if a engine only ever ran at 2k rpm, Im sure it would be a whole lot more efficent then a same engine designed to run anywhere from 1k-7k rpm. plus cooling/oil, everything could be purpose built or tuned. 

in my head, i imagine a tesla with a small engine in the back. I mean, a 7000 watt generator runs off of a 13 hp engine. just did a quick google, a tesla uses about 350 killowatts to go a mile. can anyone calculate how big of a generator you would need to run to power that? unless im way off, it seems widly more efficent to use gas-electric-wheels. yeah its a extra step, but you save 30% of the loss of energy simply by removing the transmission. let alone the benfits of plugging your car in to charge, or regenerative braking 

exactly. when your driving the car, the engine is very rarely in the best possible power band. that and the less situations a engine is, the better tuned it can be. like if a engine only ever ran at 2k rpm, Im sure it would be a whole lot more efficent then a same engine designed to run anywhere from 1k-7k rpm. plus cooling/oil, everything could be purpose built or tuned. 

in my head, i imagine a tesla with a small engine in the back. I mean, a 7000 watt generator runs off of a 13 hp engine. just did a quick google, a tesla uses about 350 killowatts to go a mile. can anyone calculate how big of a generator you would need to run to power that? unless im way off, it seems widly more efficent to use gas-electric-wheels. yeah its a extra step, but you save 30% of the loss of energy simply by removing the transmission. let alone the benfits of plugging your car in to charge, or regenerative braking 

chevrolet volt already does this. it is an electric car with a small gas motor to charge the batteries. the gas motor is not directly connected to the wheels though.

also most modern trains run on the same system as the dump truck. they have large diesel engines that turn electric generators which then power the wheels.

next improvement would be to switch to hydrogen and be able to remove the diesel and traditional generator. (they already have a prototype hydrogen train.)

Blarg

chevrolet volt already does this. it is an electric car with a small gas motor to charge the batteries. the gas motor is not directly connected to the wheels though.

also most modern trains run on the same system as the dump truck. they have large diesel engines that turn electric generators which then power the wheels.

next improvement would be to switch to hydrogen and be able to remove the diesel and traditional generator. (they already have a prototype hydrogen train.)

ah. i knew something else did this. trains. this would be a great improvement. maybe semis should start using this tech. 

I personally wouldn't go for it. my car has only 140 hp, but its a stick, so i can use all 140 pretty much all the time if i wanted. I feel like im in control, in a little go kart. with a electric car, you dont relize how fast your going until you look at the speedo. I dont like that.

my car, it feels like your going way faster then you really are. I love it because then you dont have to speed to have fun. 

Guy's, the correct term is "diesel-electric".  This is how trains have been powered almost since the inception of the diesel loco. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

These trucks have worked with electric motors turning the wheels and a diesel generator providing the power since years ago.   Not really news.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Dump trucks have worked like this for a long time is Australia

The engine does not drive the wheels, it only produces electricity for the motor, such as in cars like the Chevrolet Volt and Fisker Karma, both of which are classified as electric vehicles.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

One charge for this beat causes a blackout for a small city :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yeah....that's not electrically powered, it's electrically driven. Same concept as a freight locomotive, you still have a diesel motor generating the electricity. The biggest difference is that electrical drives are more precise, more controlled, and possibly more efficient depending on battery setups etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs