Opinions Please! Desktop on top or below desk?

Aleks

I got a HAF stacker 935, so its on the floor... Easier to reach stuff :P. Damn thing is to massive to ever put on a desk. Would look completely rediculous.

I have no signature

Below due to vibration/noise.  I live in a cool climate and it's a hardwood floor so not much dust down there.

Under table, hanging on rack over floor. So no dust problem any more than it would on table. Seriously, you get dust inside electronics no matter where it is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How do some of you guys stand having lights from your components right in your face? I couldn't take it, it seems so distracting. Then again, I do have kind of an "OCD" about that stuff.

On top: Less dust, you can see it, dont have to heave it up if you want to work on it, makes it center peice of room.

I keep mine on top for easy access and good ventilation, so my PSU won't start sucking bits/hair/strings out of my carpet...

You're reading this. Why are you reading this?

like a lot of people are saying. if you have the room on top and want to showcase your rig, then go on top. or if you don't have the room, or don't feel the need to show off the rig or whatever then put it in/under. but what i really came here to say is, get it up off the ground.... if you can. the higher the better. when i was a youngster we would keep he family PC on the floor, next to the desk. it would get sooo dirty inside. raising it just 6in. made a world of difference... 

• CPU: AMD FX-8350   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(rev 4.0)   RAM: 8GBs of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz   GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU   Case: Corsair 750D   Storage: Adata 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU: Corsair 750w   Display(s): [ASUS VG248QE 144Hz], [ASUS VE247H]   Cooling: Corsair H100i   Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70   Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013.

I have carpets and I have my computer tower on the floor.

The reason is that my PSU has a slight high pitched constant whine (not coil whining), and the graphics card has a high pitched whine from the GPU itself when under load.

I have a very low tolerance for high pitched noises and when the tower is on the desk the sounds from the PSU and graphics card really annoys my hearing, making it hard to ignore. When it's on the floor I don't hear it at all.

I have no problems with dust in my computer as most of the intakes are filtered anyway.

i always go for on top of desk

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Desktop on top

That profile GIF. 

SO GLORIOUS!!!

Anyways, on topic :P

I'd consider 3 things. 

• The looks of your case. 
  • Flooring - carpet, timber, tiles. 
  • Room available on the desk. 

They are in order of importance imo.  

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

@Aleks That's a nice set up! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what arm is that connected to your mic?

On the desk.its called a desktop for a reason

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I have kind of a mini table next to my desk and its about 3/4 the height of the desk, its pretty ok i guess.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

this is for all the Sunny in Philly fans out there.

you want to be a power bottom. so it goes on top

On the ground, I have a huge case and I rest my feet on it :)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Depends on the desk and the desktop case. But I recommend below and if your desk is closed up then wherever there is a hole for wires and make room for speakers if youdon't wan't speakers then you'll be fine with a headset anyways enjoy your PC

Hi friend.Who are you?

@Aleks and rest.

Just think of it this way.

First off: You hopefully built your own rig so you have some pride in it and hard earned (even if begged for) money in it, do you place it next to the trash can on the floor or up on the desk/pedestal/shelf/wall/mantel? Do you let peoples stinky feet or dirty shoes (including yours) swab at the case and wires which you will have to eventually touch with the same hands you stick in your pie hole to get nutrients in when you work on it later? Do you want to admire it and see it as you put it through its paces and hopefully see it in its best light or in the dark recesses of your desk? Do you want it up high were the accidental spillage of any liquid, human or man made is reduced or where even the slightest spill will get on it? Even if you spill a drink on your desktop the most you will get wet is the bottom of the case, the feet, not the whole freaking thing top to bottom.

Second: Don't you want to see your computer, keep an eye on it have it at least an arms length away so you can easily access its ports to plug your external devices in, which ever device that may be? Not to mention have it already at a height where you can easily open it up to work in it if needed? If its on the floor you need to go to the floor, most likely under the desk where there is less light and hard to see things, but up on the desk its up in your regular light so you can easily see things as you work on it so less overall movement and cable removal, etc.

Third: On the ground you also increase the amount of dust that will get into your system as dust settles and your case is pushing air up into itself, then out back on the ground. On a desk at least you have a larger distance from all that dust, dirt from you and your shoes/feet that comes from the outside. On the desk you still have dust but mainly from you and your snacks, not the dog/cat/dirty feet. Again, not saying no dust will get in only that its reduced as you're not in the super dust heavy zone, carpet or not.

So its really not to hard of a decision if you value your investment. If you don't have the desktop space I would understand you using the floor but there are so many ways to get your desktop computer on the desk and keep it from being a floortop, just look at the show off your setup thread, many forum members use cleaver and genius ways to keep their computer up on the desk even with small desks.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I think desktop on top does not make any sense. Wastes a lot of space and if the wires cannot be hidden, it looks disgusting. So much for the looks.

If you have a nini-ITX desktop then I would give it a second thought.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

@Aleks and rest.

First off: You hopefully built your own rig so you have some pride in it and hard earned (even if begged for) money in it, do you place it next to the trash can on the floor or up on the desk/pedestal/shelf/wall/mantel? Do you let peoples stinky feet or dirty shoes (including yours) swab at the case and wires which you will have to eventually touch with the same hands you stick in your pie hole to get nutrients in when you work on it later? Do you want to admire it and see it as you put it through its paces and hopefully see it in its best light or in the dark recesses of your desk? Do you want it up high were the accidental spillage of any liquid, human or man made is reduced or where even the slightest spill will get on it? Even if you spill a drink on your desktop the most you will get wet is the bottom of the case, the feet, not the whole freaking thing top to bottom.

Second: Don't you want to see your computer, keep an eye on it have it at least an arms length away so you can easily access its ports to plug your external devices in, which ever device that may be? Not to mention have it already at a height where you can easily open it up to work in it if needed? If its on the floor you need to go to the floor, most likely under the desk where there is less light and hard to see things, but up on the desk its up in your regular light so you can easily see things as you work on it so less overall movement and cable removal, etc.

Third: On the ground you also increase the amount of dust that will get into your system as dust settles and your case is pushing air up into itself, then out back on the ground. On a desk at least you have a larger distance from all that dust, dirt from you and your shoes/feet that comes from the outside. On the desk you still have dust but mainly from you and your snacks, not the dog/cat/dirty feet. Again, not saying no dust will get in only that its reduced as you're not in the super dust heavy zone, carpet or not.

So its really not to hard of a decision if you value your investment. If you don't have the desktop space I would understand you using the floor but there are so many ways to get your desktop computer on the desk and keep it from being a floortop, just look at the show off your setup thread, many forum members use cleaver and genius ways to keep their computer up on the desk even with small desks.

I actually love this response. You have really opened my eyes. My computer is a divine in which should be shown with honor. It dare not be put beneath my hoofs in which I walk the dirtiest of dirties.

@Aleks and rest.

This was very well said also you were liked by the Guy who started this so your pretty much the best . Congrats!Also that is the signiture I am looking for.

Hi friend.Who are you?