What do you prefer... PC Gaming with a mouse and keyboard or Controller?

Nettot

Basically I have been a console gamer for a long time, most of my life in fact but as for the last 5 years at least I have fallen more and more in love with gaming on a pc. Obviously there are plenty of advantages of gaming on a pc including having a more powerful system as well as tinkering with any settings that you choose plus now days games can usually be bought for pretty cheap as there is such an increase in digital downloads. 

Despite all of this I can't help but feel much more comfortable in RPG games using a controller even on a pc although I love the extra quality I get from using my pc. I was just quite curious what other people thought and their experiences with the two different controlling types. 

Depends on the game for racing a controllers is a bit better but for fps mouse all day long

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Keyboard for everything but racing games, GTA, and Euro Truck Simulator 2. Then I use the trusty old Logitech Dual Action controller.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Everything but driving or flighing a nice mouse or Keyboard, altough sometimes a controller is just more comfortable.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Depends on the game.

I play FPS games with mouse and keyboard due to the crazy accuracy, and I play games that aren't optimized for mouse and keyboard with a controller.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

For me I had been a console gamer for a long time and using the sticks on the controller, you really cant get pinpoint accuracy like you can on a mouse.

Agree with everyone. Keyboard and mouse for everything except racing games. I recently tried to use my controller for Alien:Isolation. I felt like playing from the couch so I gave it a try and I gave up after 5 minutes and went back to m/k  :lol:

I sometime miss the left analog stick. Like you can go at anyway speed you want. Not just walk or run... 

For me it's not just racing games. I can't see myself playing SpeedRunners with a keyboard (It's a plateformer... Kind of a racing plateformer though) 

Keyboard and mouse mostly, I only use controller for racing and games like Batman or Assassin's Creed 

Basically I have been a console gamer for a long time, most of my life in fact but as for the last 5 years at least I have fallen more and more in love with gaming on a pc. Obviously there are plenty of advantages of gaming on a pc including having a more powerful system as well as tinkering with any settings that you choose plus now days games can usually be bought for pretty cheap as there is such an increase in digital downloads. 

Despite all of this I can't help but feel much more comfortable in RPG games using a controller even on a pc although I love the extra quality I get from using my pc. I was just quite curious what other people thought and their experiences with the two different controlling types. 

As stated above, it depends on the game that you're playing. Most game genres will have a benefit with mouse/keyboard, but there are those that don't in my opinion at all(action adventure like DMC , fighting and racing). And you know what? That's the beauty of the Master Race, you can use what ever with no additional costs as long as you have the hardware.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

you asked a pc forum, i dont like using a controller for anything, use a wheel for racing games. thats it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Keyboard and mouse for everything.

keyboard+mouse rules all

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Depends on the game 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Depends on the game for racing a controllers is a bit better but for fps mouse all day long

That's why I bought a G27. 

Depends on the game like Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams I play it with a controller also NFS, but FPS like CS:GO or CS 1.6 I play with a mouse and keyboard.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The only things I dont use a keyboard and mouse for are flight sims and racing sims. Everything else I prefer keyboard and mouse.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Depends on the game, some games just work better with a controller. Witcher 2 is a good example of where I'd use a controller, but most other RPGs I'd play keyboard and mouse.

It really depends on what I'm playing. I have a Logitech G27 racing wheel, so, I never use pads for things like that. I do use a pad for when people come over who aren't completely used to keyboard and mouse. The only times I have used it myself was for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and L4D. Both times just to test it. All in all, I prefer keyboard and mouse, simply because, anything you play online (Shooter wise) you're at a huge disadvantage. It just feels nicer to me now anyway. 

As everyone else seems to be saying, it really depends on the game. I prefer a controller for something like 3rd person adventure games where precision isn't a focus of the game.