Swedish ISP Gives Customers Free VPN To Protect Against Government Tracking

LAwLz

lex-integrity.jpg

A few months ago, 4 to be more precise, I posted about the Swedish ISP Bahnhof reporting itself for breaking the law by not collecting data on their customers.

The quick summary is that Swedish laws demand that ISPs collect data on their customers. Previous EU court cases came to the conclusion that ISPs do not have to collect data. EU laws have a higher priority than regional laws for EU countries so Bahnhof refused to collect data. Instead of collecting data they reported themselves for breaking the Swedish law and if they lost in Swedish court they would take it to the EU court.

Sadly, nothing has happened since the ISP reported itself. Sweden recently got a new government and the new one have kept silent regarding mandatory ISP logging. The deadline for starting to log their customers is only 1 week away. If Bahnhof fails to start logging their customers before the deadline they will be fined 5 million SEK (676,500 USD).

Since they don't want to get fined they will have to resort to "Plan B". They will start logging their customers but they will also offer them a free, non-logging VPN. The mandatory logs (which Bahnhof collects) for customers who use this new VPN service will essentially be useless.

This is supposedly a temporary solution until a court (Swedish or the EU court) inevitably rules that ISP don't have to log users, and when that happens Bahnhof will stop logging again.

Source: TorrentFreak

My thoughts:

I am not that happy that they will start logging but I can understand why they do it. This is the best they can do in a bad situation.

Hopefully there will be a court ruling soon.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if there is one company I am a fanboy of, it is Bahnhof.

A few month

I've said it before and I will say it again, if there is one company I am a fanboy of, it is Bahnhof.

Screw it I am moving to sweden

american isps

post-66400-0-68650100-1414540468.gif
Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I'm literally a 20 minute drive from sweden and i still have to deal with my bullshit isp :(

Seems like they're atleast trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I love Bahnhof, and would switch in a matter of minutes the moment they become available here (which, if things go as they should, is in February, yay).

Cheers,

Linus

I'm literally a 20 minute drive from sweden and i still have to deal with my bullshit isp :(

Seems like they're atleast trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

I am a boat ride away :D and I have my decent ISP here. The swedish ones look better though.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Well Sweden here i come !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Bahnhof customer masterace reporting in.

WTF is your avatar?

WATCH OUT!

tumblr_maioc7l9nH1rc25i2o2_500.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

Youtube  - Dubstep cat

You failed.

You got hit by a refrigerator

Because he had a hard drive.

its-a-trap.gif

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You failed.

You got hit by a refrigerator

Durarara amazing anime still waiting for the 2nd season.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

ISP protecting his customers from the government? I always thought things only went the other way around

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

ISP protecting his customers from the government? I always thought things only went the other way around

Government protecting us from isps? More like government + isps vs everyone! :P

Government protecting us from isps? More like government + isps vs everyone! :P

Oh yeah, you're right

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I've actually never heard of Bahnhof.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I've actually never heard of Bahnhof.

Enjoy, also pretty sure they hosted wikileaks at some point in time.

I swear Sweden is heaven on earth, hot girls, awesome internet and awesome isps!

There's only one thing Sweden has that Norway doesn't have: a great neighbor :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.