Apple can actually make an incredible gpu

Mew

So somewhere near the performance of a ps3 gpu? 

LOL #rekt

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

nVidia is a gpu company, they are known to create incredible gpu, but to see that Apple is able to match the peak performance of Tegra k1, and outsustain the performance of K1 over time (tegra k1 throttles over time, A8/A8x doesn't) show just how advanced Apple really is.

Tegra is still 28nm, Apple has the newer node. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Hopefully this shows how pathetic consoles are.

yea. a tablet getting as much gpu horsepower as a ps3. something the ps vita did 2 years ago. not to mention how old the ps3 really is. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

wasn't the chips manufactured by Samsung or something, last i heard their chips were from them & they just re-brand it with its rights reserved. :/

I think they changed manufactures with the change in node. Apple has designed the chips themselves since the A4 on the CPU side and Samsung only owned the factory that they were made in. 

It's a technological marvel.

And they're even working on a Battlefield 4 port from what I know.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not :S also they showed bf3 running on an ipad a couple years ago so it doesnt necessarily mean it will come public.

Op obv they can do something decent with all there billions of dollars i think metal would be helping too also this isnt all that amazing look at tegra k1.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not :S also they showed bf3 running on an ipad a couple years ago so it doesnt necessarily mean it will come public.

Op obv they can do something decent with all there billions of dollars i think metal would be helping too also this isnt all that amazing look at tegra k1.

Actually, Tegra K1 is less impressive than the A8x simply for the fact that K1 is unable to maintain consistent performance for extended periods of time. Look at the Performance Degradation section here http://www.anandtech.com/show/8666/the-apple-ipad-air-2-review/5

As one can see, the iPad Air 2 is one of the best performers on this test, considering its frame rate and runtime. While NVIDIA's GK20A GPU in Tegra K1 can get close to the GX6650 for short periods of time, over a long workload it's pretty clear that the GX6650 on 20nm has better sustained performance and significantly superior efficiency as it doesn't throttle until the 200th iteration of the test. It's important to note that the iPad Air 2 is running at a higher native resolution here, so relative to SHIELD Tablet a scaling factor needs to be estimated in order to get an idea for performance at the same resolution. During this test I saw that the skin temperatures never exceeded 45C, so this isn't the result of Apple choosing to run the device hotter than most.

Hasn't Apple designed leading SoCs since like the iPhone 4 days?

I remember looking at benchmarks and seeing the iPhone at the top of the list everytime.

edit

odd

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wasn't the chips manufactured by Samsung or something, last i heard their chips were from them & they just re-brand it with its rights reserved. :/

Although Apple did have their own factories (don't know if any of them are still up and running), they nowadays outsource pretty much any actual manufacturing.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Macs come with gaming grade GPU's ? I thought they only came with quadros or firepros. 

It's just the Mac Pro that comes with Workstation cards. Even then though they're more than capable of gaming.

The Lowest FirePro the D300  games as well as a 7870, while the D700 hangs around the 280X. Boot into windows and you also have AMD Crossfire support on the FirePros. They're odd duck cards from AMD as they have full FirePro features and support, but can ran Catalyst drivers with Crossfire without any issue as well while retaining FirePro features, including 10-bit colour and ECC.

The iMacs new m295X GPU also does very well at 2560x1440 gaming in OS X, and spanks the previous GTX 780m at nearly everything.

Gaming Benchmarks 2560x1440 - 5K tests

http://barefeats.com/imac5k2.html

GTX 780m vs m295x

http://barefeats.com/imac5k.html

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Aren't all the GPU's in apple A series SoC designed by PowerVR like they have always been, as far as I am aware the GPU in the A8X is a PowerVR Series 6XT GXA6850, So apple isn't technically making or designing this amazing chip. There just paying TSMC to produce PowerVR's design and add it to there SoC

Aren't all the GPU's in apple A series SoC designed by PowerVR like they have always been, as far as I am aware the GPU in the A8X is a PowerVR Series 6XT GXA6850, So apple isn't technically making or designing this amazing chip. There just paying TSMC to produce PowerVR's design and add it to there SoC

This is correct - Imagination Technologies design the GPU core for the iPad Air 2. Apple just add it to a SoC and make sure it works.

Wow something that isn't a total gimmick from Apple?

except apple is still going head to head and even beating 8 core qualcom processors, has had the best mobile phone gpu for years and was the first innovator for pixel density that we see today right? 

Apple is definitely nothing but gimmicks. God you stupid cunts just eat up the angsty hipster tech geek thing don't you?

So is NVIDIA finally filling a lawsuit for Apple?

I had to say it.

Hopefully this shows how pathetic consoles are.

needs still to be shown?  :o  *running for cover hoping no console-friendly guy starts the old war in this thread

nevermind

ill wait for the tegra k1 replacement on new node before i think about saying something final about this

but so far its a good thing they did that

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Imagination tech can actually make an incredible GPU. Pretty sure the iPad air is a 8 core (cluster) PowerVR rogue GPU, so not something apple have made.

AnandTech-Imagination-Technologies-Power

I think the K1 will come with a higher clock though, apple are generally somewhat conservative on gpu (and cpu, however cyclone ipc is great) clock speeds, so K1 may be roughly equal to the GX6850 (k1 is a full kepler SMX).

They used to be, however now they use TSMC, licence an ARMv8 (A57) design and use an Imagination Tech PowerVR graphics chip (same as some silvermont atoms).

Wait... A8X is a triple-core?

Wonder if we'll eventually be able to unlock a fourth core like the Athlon/Phenom X3's

Yep it's a 3 core CPU. There is physically no 4th core on the chip so don't get your hopes up for some Athlon/Phenom style unlocking though.

Hasn't Apple designed leading SoCs since like the iPhone 4 days?

I remember looking at benchmarks and seeing the iPhone at the top of the list everytime.

They have usually lead GPU performance and trailed behind in CPU performance. The reason why you usually see iProducts leading CPU benchmarks are because the benchmarks are flawed (for example browser based).

I mean, you wouldn't test the 8350 vs the 4770k by running SunSpider in Firefox for the AMD, and SunSpider in Chrome for the Intel CPU, right?

Since Cyclone (a7) they have been kicking ass in terms of IPC and core for core performance though.

The GXA6850 is not an official PowerVR part. They might have paid Imagination to design it, or maybe Apple themselves (they have hired GPU designers) designed this part together with Imagination.

According to Anandtech it seems to be two PowerVR GX6450 glued together.

Very interesting news. I guess you can afford to do some crazy things when you got 160 billion dollars in your cash reserve.

So will it beat the Nexus 9 ?? I will try to look.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This is correct - Imagination Technologies design the GPU core for the iPad Air 2. Apple just add it to a SoC and make sure it works.

According to Anandtech this isn't exactly true in this case...

From what they can tell, Apple have bolted two GX6450s (the GPU in the iPhone 6's A8) together in a SLI/Crossfire type scenario... making for 256FP units... compared to Tegra's 192. That's why they are calling it the GXA6850, because it's not exactly an official IMG design.

http://anandtech.com/show/8716/apple-a8xs-gpu-gxa6850-even-better-than-i-thought 

According to Anandtech this isn't exactly true in this case...

From what they can tell, Apple have bolted two GX6450s (the GPU in the iPhone 6's A8) together in a SLI/Crossfire type scenario... making for 256FP units... compared to Tegra's 192. That's why they are calling it the GXA6850, because it's not exactly an official IMG design.

http://anandtech.com/show/8716/apple-a8xs-gpu-gxa6850-even-better-than-i-thought 

Trust me - IMG designed it.

Trust me - IMG designed it.

That's what I am saying, and that's what Anandtech was saying. IMG designed the individual GX6450s and Apple stuck them together. It's kinda half and half...

It's like if some board OEM (like EVGA or Gigabyte) was to take two GTX 980 chips and stick them together on the same card in SLI today... it's not officially Nvidia's doing, even though Nvidia designed the individual GTX 980s.

I don't think he's contesting IMG designing it. Just saying Apple requested an SLI/Crossfire variant and it's labeled as theirs.

That's what I got from his post anyway.

I swear, reading comprehension isn't even a thing on forums some times.

Would be funny if I was wrong. Shame. D:

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

That's what I am saying, and that's what Anandtech was saying. IMG designed the individual GX6450s and Apple stuck them together. It's kinda half and half...

It's like if some board OEM (like EVGA or Gigabyte) was to take two GTX 980 chips and stick them together on the same card in SLI today... it's not officially Nvidia's doing, even though Nvidia designed the individual GTX 980s.

I don't think he's contesting IMG designing it. Just saying Apple requested an SLI/Crossfire variant and it's labeled as theirs.

That's what I got from his post anyway.

I swear, reading comprehension isn't even a thing on forums some times.

Would be funny if I was wrong. Shame. D:

I think you both misunderstood me.

IMG did the work of designing the cores AND putting them together, Apple just put them in a SoC.

Apple hold a large stake in IMG so they get specially designs solutions that nobody else gets access to, at least not for any reasonable length of time.