Cleaning Brushed Aluminium

bartekxx12

Hi, 

So I had my Define R4 for a while now and while I was being careful not to touch the front brushed aluminium door. Over time it gathered some fingerprints which appeared as large discoloured spots and marks on the case. Noticing how much worse it is getting overtime just due to accidental touches I was starting to think maybe brushed aluminium isn't the way to go even though I think it looks absolutely beautiful when clean.

I remembered Linus saying that it is impossible to clean because the oils from your skin react with it or whatever :P And after trying many different types of cloths as well as trying water it looked like Linus was right...until... today I have tried using 99% Isopropyl alcohol, just sprayed a little bit on a cloth and tried cleaning a tiny area on the bottom corner of front (incase it turns out the alcohol damages the finish even more) anyway, to my surprise it cleaned all marks off of the aluminium and caused no damage. 

I have now cleaned the entire front just with some more 99% Isopropyl alcohol sprayed on a cloth and the case looks like new with 0 marks. 

I know this isn't exactly a guide or a tutorial but more of a tip, if you need to clean brushed aluminium try using 99% Isopropyl alcohol :)

That's awesome, I know a lot of bits of aluminium I need to clean :P Thanks :D

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I thought that the front of the R4 was a mock aluminum Brushed finished that was actually plastic?

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Pretty sure it's a plastic door with a brushed aliminium effect?

A good degreaser will clean off any fingerprints on a true aluminium panel.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

I'm sorry to crush your hopes but you have actually cleaned plastic..

That's pretty sad :(

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Always assumed it was ultra-thin aluminium stuck on the front.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

Brush it.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Always assumed it was ultra-thin aluminium stuck on the front.

Yes, I thought that maybe it was actually plastic before posting this. But it was really hard to clean and isopropyl alcohol seems to be the only thing to clean it perfectly... and it does feel cold to touch. it feels like metal. I think it's a thin layer of metal attached to the plastic front door. I'll check if it conducts later to make sure. 

Yes, I thought that maybe it was actually plastic before posting this. But it was really hard to clean and isopropyl alcohol seems to be the only thing to clean it perfectly... and it does feel cold to touch. it feels like metal. I think it's a thin layer of metal attached to the plastic front door. I'll check if it conducts later to make sure. 

thinking of buying one of these cases in the next few weeks, thanks for the tip anyhow!

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

thinking of buying one of these cases in the next few weeks, thanks for the tip anyhow!

it is an aluminium front panel over a plastic structure, saves money and is lighter.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

it is an aluminium front panel over a plastic structure, saves money and is lighter.

That is what I thought. The door is plastic yes but the front panel is aluminium. 

Excellent, That's what i thought

I have the R3... it is plastic.

There is no way to "clean" fingerprints off of aluminum because it is not something that is "on" the aluminum but actually etched into it.  There is nothing to get off.  The only way would be to dissolve off the outer layers of everything else around to match the etch depth, similar to how you "untarnish" silver; by stripping off the tarnished layer altogether, exposing the next layer of silver.

The r4 door is plastic guys

Sorry to rain on your parades, but that's actually why I bought it. Easy to clean.

Brushed plastic is my favorite because it looks good and doesn`t attract fingerprints  :D

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Brushed plastic is my favorite because it looks good and doesn`t attract fingerprints  :D

You just have to see it in the correct lighting. It still attracts fingerprints. Maybe not as much as real brushed aluminum, but they're there. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

create a spray with half water half vinegar.  You've now created an amazing cleaner that is great, cheap, and environmentally friendly.  

• 2 weeks later...

This helps a lot.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to clean real brushed aluminum, you can use wheel cleaner and/or clay bar for detailing a car. It acctualy works. I have a laptop with a brushed aluminum Finish and it does work.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Thanks, this was useful!

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Really? I find the opposite, my laptop has it and it annoys me to death.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I love it how this is brought up again and again and it always ends with someone clearing up that the Fractal Design R series cases use Plastic.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

• 1 month later...

Really? I find the opposite, my laptop has it and it annoys me to death.

Same... I have a Gt70 from MSI and damn prints on the lid xD