Biorobotic Roaches Help Search Rubble For Survivors

A Bugs Life..

bozkurt-roach-header-848x477.jpg

Damn Humans..

Dr. Alper Bozkurt and Matt Shipman Two researchers from iBionics (soon to be sewed by apple) labs North Carolina State University are experimenting a quite unique way of searching for survivors.

The medium involves two subjects to function, an insectobot connected to a small, audio-sensing cyborg harness & our faithful beloved mini flying drone or a controlled flying moths..

How do they work:

First thing is the roaches which carry  microphone that can capture high-resolution sound from any direction to be wireless transmitted is set free into the rubble, Following that a mini drone or a similarly controlled flying moth is set loose & it hovers over space where the signal is being send from ,

idea is to let loose these critters over a disaster area where they can crawl down the nooks & crannies of the rubble where rescuers have a hard time reaching the victims , where as the bugs can reach & locates the helpless victim & can help target the rescuers efficiently & save a heck of a lot time reaching the victims..

The microphone essentially captures sound waves from from victims who are in pain or use the high resolution audio throughput to analyze the breathing noises from an unconscious victim & as in an echolocation it nears its distance towards the victim Mean while the same time the drone that is flying above follows the critters path & hovers over the exact same spot & afterwards it has reached near the victims exact location it sends out a confirmation signal & rescuers can get to them in time

Video Demo!

"In a collapsed building, sound is the best way to find survivors”

photo-19.JPG

hi I'm a Pc & I'm a Mac

The researchers have also created a sort of invisible fence that keeps bugs within a rescue area by controlling their motions. They are also adding solar power cells so they can work autonomously for days at a time. so they just don't wander off after they'd been released..

Video Demo of invisible fence:

The biobots are equipped with electronic backpacks that control the cockroach’s movements. Bozkurt’s research team has created two types of customized backpacks using microphones. One type of biobot has a single microphone that can capture relatively high-resolution sound from any direction to be wirelessly transmitted to first responders

roach-biobot.jpg

It's amazing to see technology becoming so small & very efficient at the same time that it can be made useful for these kinds of situation or could even be used for more espionage ;)

Leave a comment or rant or even a troll down beloooooooooww..

Bonus:

5eff1c377f48790ca75a9a9878660481eeb4fde0

Link:

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/09/26/cyber-moths-backpacks-set-fly-disaster-zones-269780.html

Details separate people.

Why not make a robotic roach while you're at it?

Actual roaches are probably more durable, cheaper to manufacture and don't run out of energy that fast.

Actual roaches are probably more durable, cheaper to manufacture and don't run out of energy that fast.

Here's why it's a good idea:

Finds survivor "Ew!" *gets smashed*

Misunderstood good guy roach :(

Here's why it's a good idea:

Well, that's a good point. You don't want your expensive, hyper-sensitive microphone to get smashed like that.

Feel so sad for that roach and moth :'(

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Feel so sad for that roach and moth :'(

It's okay they don't have brains, that's why they can do this.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's okay they don't have brains, that's why they can do this.

Yeah I know xD Just they can probably feel all that stuff and they have to have some level of intelligence to be able to survive :S

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Yeah I know xD Just they can probably feel all that stuff and they have to have some level of intelligence to be able to survive :S

tumblr_m8r42iGY801rqi82so1_500.gif

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

No they don't. They have instincts, they react, sure they can feel it, but they can't think about feeling it.

Rats can feel everything and probably even think about it and we still do experiments on them. We just have to it helps us.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'd destroy the disgusting thing. I have to side with @AlwaysFSX - make a robotic bug or something. Roaches are nasty pests that must die.

I'd destroy the disgusting thing. I have to side with @AlwaysFSX - make a robotic bug or something. Roaches are nasty pests that must die.

roach+misunderstood.jpg

Details separate people.

They'll have to do something about the aesthetics though.

I mean, come on, aren't the poor little buggers persecuted enough for their appearance?

On a more serious note though...bugs being controlled by humans? That is a scary thought. Imagine how much worse a cockroach would be with a big brain and malicious intent. Or a venomous spider...or a parasitic worm...

roach+misunderstood.jpg

c36be78f6c841eabe68ac987c82c7338.jpg

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan