To teenage LTT members: Do your parents get mad at you for decent grades in school?

rambi36

My mom was always ok with 80 but my dad was always like "Why not 95? Are you stupid or something? Why don't you try harder!?"

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

My mom doesn't pay me for grades so there's no benefit to getting good grades. However, if I get anything lower than a B, the router goes off all the time....

You just can't win....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

80 is good :) although with pcs and stuff if it isnt 100% soemthing is gona break... i averaged about 70-80% in my last year of school and my parents wernt too happy with that though

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

My parents flip if I get lower than 92% because that  is what they saw me get as an average in grade 7 and have kept me to that since.

I am asian, but my parents aren't that strict on me. I got awful scores some of my recent mid-terms, and they just suggested a tutor of something.

I do live in Japan though, and I've heard some horror stories from friends about what their parents do if they get bad scores. Trust me, I'm pretty lucky...

I am asian, but my parents aren't that strict on me. I got awful scores some of my recent mid-terms, and they just suggested a tutor of something.

I do live in Japan though, and I've heard some horror stories from friends about what their parents do if they get bad scores. Trust me, I'm pretty lucky...

my mom gets pissed when I get a 90 at history. Yes I am Asian. 

Main rig: i5 4670k OC to 4.1GHz,8GB Ram ,GTX 770, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB(enough for me)

Laptop: Acer Aspire E15-571. Exotic stuff: Orange OPC MKIV for recording my guitar skillz, and play guitar in the bar(Miced)

Phone: iPhone 6 (main phone), Samsung Galaxy S4(my sister gave it to me days after I got my iPhone, I now use it as a secondary phone)

It's pretty much B and above is okay for me.... I get mostly As though.

You people are weird and have weird grades. In my family, I get good grades because they are expected. No privileges are lost if you get a couple of bad ones, but as long as I above 95 averages, everything is good. Ultimately, my parents' view is that I'm the one who is screwed by getting bad grades. So I get grades for my own sake. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

You people are weird and have weird grades. In my family, I get good grades because they are expected. No privileges are lost if you get a couple of bad ones, but as long as I above 95 averages, everything is good. Ultimately, my parents' view is that I'm the one who is screwed by getting bad grades. So I get grades for my own sake. 

This is how life works. Good grades, get into good schools, then get more good grades, get a good job, do a good job (same as getting good grades, really), get paid.

Grades are just numbers, but it's the work ethic that helps you in the long run.

Git Gud.

My parents are normally always mad at me, regardless of wether I've done anything, so they just use less than a 80 as extra ammunition

My parents don't threaten me but I've got a 90%+ average across the board doing preIB.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

image.png?w=400&c=1

yes, yes I am....... but when I dont get a good grade I get a @ss woopin  B)

This topic usually comes up, and its usually filled with a lot of kids here who think they know better than their parents. Chances are, you don't. You really, really don't. 

Grades aren't as important as the work ethic they give you. Whether or not you use those grade to get into good schools, get useful degrees then rack up 100l+ salaries; its the proper work ethic you need to get good grades that helps you in all manners of life. 

University for example, a 4.0 GPA (the highest here) isn't some easy task. Neither is balancing school, work and all the extracurriculars that you need to do well. I have that ethic, its just how I do my work. I don't settle for good enough. Good enough, isn't. 

I'm a kid just barely out of his first degree, in charge of an entire series of cancer studies, because of that ethic. I'll be raking in more money and getting more experience and making more industry connections than most people here can comprehend. That didn't come from "good enough" mentalities. That came from striving for the best and pushing for the best and not being happy with 2nd place efforts. 

I got a 92 in my computer science paper and my mom went Berzerk...... Told me to concentrate more on my studies rather than playing cs:go Yes i am an asian... I don't think grades decide someone's potential,your expertise in a particular subject should be defined only by practical real life situation's... I know so many people tthat cram stuff get a A and fail in practical exams.... How well you understood the concept is important than grades

It's not about the grades (grades are still important).  It's about developing the self direction, studying, self motivation, work ethic, grit, etc, that is needed in order to get really good grades.  Developing these(and getting really good grades) sets you up to be able to have many many more opportunities later in life, instead of having many doors closed.  I can tell you from firsthand experience continuing on in school opens many many more doors in life than not, even if you end up doing something not related to what you did in school.

Unless you skate through doing like philosophy or something.  Get a Bsc lol.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

im doing awfull in school but im teaching myself programing 3d modaling and i work too so my dads chill with that he wants me to do better but he understands why i dont

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

It's not about the grades (grades are still important). It's about developing the self direction, studying, self motivation, work ethic, grit, etc, that is needed in order to get really good grades. Developing these(and getting really good grades) sets you up to be able to have many many more opportunities later in life, instead of having many doors closed. I can tell you from firsthand experience continuing on in school opens many many more doors in life than not, even if you end up doing something not related to what you did in school.

Unless you skate through doing like philosophy or something. Get a Bsc lol.

As a society we get too fixated on the number and not what the number means.

My best(worst?) exam was inorganic chem. class average was 35%. I got 50%. Hello A- because that's how the curve worked out. But I was pissed. A 50% is nothing. Higher level courses? That's a fail. 50% is not something I was happy with.

Society as a whole is also gotten pretty accepting with good enough. Many people do miss that it's the work ethic you derive. Sure, entrepreneurs who've made millions didn't use school, but they didn't pull that work ethic out of their ass either.

Take your average dot com millionaire and your average med school grad. Chances are they share a lot more qualities that you'd prescribe to "hard work" than you'd think. Nothing is easy, success is hard, you either learn in school or learn through life but no one who is worth anything got by with "good enough".

If you're happy to have life be "good enough", I pity you. Life should be about exceeding greatness. Not settling for mediocrity, regardless of what you do.

My parents only cared about marks when they were straight up appalling. Any other time they cared that I tried hard. I focussed my efforts properly. I had proper methods of work. I wouldn't give up that mentality for anything. I'm not the guy who half asses anything. It's just not me. I wish way more people had that kind of mentality.

It actually does piss me off when people settle for good enough in anything. We're not here to be good enough. We're here to be awesome and to set the bar just a little bit higher so the next group has a stronger level to reach.

Grades aren't the end all be all, sure. But if you have that work ethic that successful people generally have, you wouldn't need to worry about your grades either.

Good grades are not necessarily what are the most important, actually knowing the subject is. In high-school, i was a c-b average student mostly because i was lazy and didn't do all the work i needed to finish, but i actually understood most subjects better than other kids that where getting straight A's. Now, i am not saying to go out and not care about your grade, it will make a difference for you, but make sure you prioritize actually learning the rather than just pushing to get a grade without having a full understanding of the subject.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

They only get involved if I get below 50% in an exam, which is like never, 50-75% doesn't please them but they are OK with that if it doesn't happen too often and I have the option to fix it with some better grades. A's and B's are completely fine, though I'm expected to have straight A's by the end of the year, especially this year and the 3 years that follow as those greatly affect my chances to get to the uni i want.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Nope, I keep my grades for all eight periods above a 95. Usually, my grade will dip to an 80, but I make an attempt to fix it. The funny thing is, I usually never study for anything and sit on my computer when I'm not in school or in marching band practice.

私はピザが大好きだよ。
CPU: i5 4670k - GPU: Twin Frozr GTX 760 - Mobo: Msi Z87 G45 - Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - PSU: CX600M - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 - OS: Windows 8.1

My parent (mother) doesn't give a crap, honestly. All she cares about me is that she can rely on me if she runs out of money and there's bills that need to be paid, and she won't ever pay those "loans" back...

I get grades ranging from 5 to 8 (4 being worst, 10 being best. It's just like grading from F to A+, but with numbers instead of letters), worst being Swedish and math (I've failed every single mandatory Swedish course so far), and the best being Chemistry, Physics (though my horrible math knowledge drops those grades a ton) and English. The only subject's courses I've ever failed is that Swedish, and no-one cares. I'm not really motivated to study things I wouldn't care less about, and I almost never do any home work (only essays, presentations etc. gets done). I'm a horrible student to say at least, a waste of tax payers' Euros.

And our grading system seems to be very loose: if it would be counted as a percentage, if you get above let's say 30% in any subject except Swedish (which requires over 50%), you pass. 50% would be 7, which is an acceptable grade (again, in Swedish that 50% would be 5-, barely passing).

My mother doesn't punish me in any way if I get low grades. She just says that it's my fault if I don't get good future education / job in the future, which is correct, actually. I'm responsible for my future, no matter how good or bad it will end up. Whatever happens to me in the future is the result of my own choices and actions.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

In computer science, my main class and the industry i want to enter, my mom expects a 97% or above. in math and science, my mom expects a 95% or above.  in history my mom wants a 93% or above. and i my weakest area, english because its my second language, my mom wants 90% or above. as long as my grades meet requirements, i dont have to do any chores, housework, or anything. just keep my grades up. and no i'm not Asian, i'm Latino.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I'm not in school, but I'm studying software development, and still living at home, but my dad is upset because I'm getting B+ as my average grade with the odd A, and I apparently "should be getting A+ for everything"

My parents don't get mad at me about my grades, mainly because I have A's and B's in all of my classes. If I get a bad grade then I'll do better next time. No punishments here.

COMIC SANS