Metric Bytes

InfinateX

I know the title probably sounds stupid, but hear me out. The other day we started learning the metric and imperial systems in my math class, and I suddenly realised that the metric system was used to measure data sizes, but they skipped up to kilo, and I was wondering if people ever measure things using those skipped units. It sounds kinda stupid, but have you ever thought of this as well?

Sarah Jessica Parker

I'm confused? Kilobyte?

Edit: Nevermind, read your post incorrectly...

As to what you said, no I actually never wondered if people measure with those skipped units since we don't really measure in decimetres or decametres. I guess normally stuff isn't measured with "deca or deci" prefix cause we can use .1 instead. Like it's seconds, then miliseconds. So I guess it goes the same for data sizes.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I'm confused? Kilobyte?

The measuring of data general goes:

byte

kilobyte

megabyte

gigabyte

terabyte

petabyte

exabyte

As you can see, there is no unit such as a decabyte. (Just as an example)

I was just thinknig about this for a while and got curious if other people keyed in on the same idea.

Sarah Jessica Parker

The Kilogram is the only base unit with a prefix. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Bytes aren't actually measured in the metric system. A kilobyte is 1024 bytes.

You can't use a measurement of physical size to measure data :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

The Kilogram is the only base unit with a prefix. 

I was only talking about bytes, not the whole Metric System.

I thought they were just 1000. So they're based on the Metric System, but they're a bit off. That does explain why some calculations in windows seem inaccurate when measured in bytes.

I know. I thought it used the same pricipals, but as Art pointed out, it's slightly irregular.

Sarah Jessica Parker

Some of the units are skipped to make things simpler. This happens quite a lot with measurements, in fact I don't think I have ever seen them used. Also yes as stated above Bytes are not measured directly to the metric system. However, sometimes it is. Storage devices regularly say 1GB = 1000MB, however operating systems say 1GB = 1024MB. 

Nothing s really metric in computers. As even bytes are 8 bits, and a nibble is 4 bits. 

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Yes you can. But unless you have very accurate equipment, it's ineffective. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Some of the units are skipped to make things simpler. This happens quite a lot with measurements, in fact I don't think I have ever seen them used. Also yes as stated above Bytes are not measured directly to the metric system. However, sometimes it is. Storage devices regularly say 1GB = 1000MB, however operating systems say 1GB = 1024MB. 

I'm aware that they skip some. I was just pointing out that they are absolutely never used. It's kind of like centilitres or hectameters. Nobody uses those measurements, but they could if they wanted.

Sarah Jessica Parker

I'm aware that they skip some. I was just pointing out that they are absolutely never used. It's kind of like centilitres or hectameters. Nobody uses those measurements, but they could if they wanted.

They could but it just makes it more complicated. 

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I thought they were just 1000. So they're based on the Metric System, but they're a bit off. That does explain why some calculations in windows seem inaccurate when measured in bytes.

Yeah, I believe that's the reason that Hard Drive size measurements always are smaller than their advertised size.

We only use these "metric" prefixes to ease communication with big numbers, thus the common saying is what defines the way you should say it.

Why we never use "deca" when describing bytes ? I guess it's because when we started using these prefixes, we jumped pretty fast to hard drives with >1MB on the consumer market. So people never had the time or need to use "deca".

kilobyte = 1000 bytes

kibibyte = 1024 bytes

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

That is wrong. Yes, I know, windows does it like this, but its still wrong

Kilo = 1000 (10^3). You can't change that, so 1kB is 1000B. This is the way HDD manufacturers measure drive sizes.

The way windows does it is that they "simplify" the maths by saing that 1kB = 2^10 B= 1024B. This is known as KiB, but often wrongly described as kB

This is why there's a difference between what windows reports your drive space to be and what the manufacturer claimed it was. Other OSes tends to get the maths right though

"Dec" is 10,

Decimal is base 10,

Decahedron is a 10 sided shape,

Decimate is to destroy 1/10th

Bits are binary

Bytes are made of 8 bits meaning there is no relation to 10 alas no decabyte

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

byte

kilobyte

megabyte

gigabyte

terabyte

petabyte

exabyte

I was just thinknig about this for a while and got curious if other people keyed in on the same idea.

I think that it's technically correct to refer to a quantity as x number of, say, decabytes, but is just impractical since the difference between a kilobyte and megabyte is x1000, just as the difference between a gigabyte and terabyte is x1000.

"Dec" is 10,

Decimal is base 10,

Decahedron is a 10 sided shape,

Decimate is to destroy 1/10th

Bits are binary

Bytes are made of 8 bits meaning there is no relation to 10 alas no decabyte

There is a relation. 80 bytes = 8 decabytes, for instance. The problem is that the conversion doesn't necessarily result in an integer.

It's the difference between decimal and binary... when it comes to 1000 or 1024 bytes in a kilobytes scroll down to the bottom of this

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte

and look at Prefixes for multiples of
bits or bytes

at the right hand side

As to the skipping I'm like :wacko: wahhhh does not compute

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

byte

kilobyte

megabyte

gigabyte

terabyte

petabyte

exabyte

Don't forget bits and nybbles, which is four bits.

1 Kilobyte Weighs 1 Kilogram.

You sound like that person that asked if hard drives weigh more when there's more data written on them. Js.

This topic got more attention than I tohught it would :S

Sarah Jessica Parker

Centi- is used for drinks bottles and short distances. 0.75 litre wine bottles are usually labelled 75 cl (centilitre) and 1cm = 0.01m (or 10mm). A centibyte or a decibyte would be fairly pointless as nobody actually uses files that small nowadays anyway, and if you do, you just say "567 bytes", not 56.7 cB or 5.67 dB.

"decibyte" would also share its abbreviation with the more ubiquitous "decibel", leading to much confusion.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

You sound like that person that asked if hard drives weigh more when there's more data written on them. Js.

This topic got more attention than I tohught it would :S

A Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive weighs 400grams.

If 1KB weighed 1kg, your drive would weigh Roughly 1099511627776kg when full. Or 1099511627.776 metric tonnes. Which is 10471539.31215238 Aircraft carriers.

So...If you were to fill up ONE, 1TB drive. You break space and time.

A Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive weighs 400grams.

If 1KB weighed 1kg, your drive would weigh Roughly 1099511627776kg when full. Or 1099511627.776 metric tonnes. Which is 10471539.31215238 Aircraft carriers.

So...If you were to fill up ONE, 1TB drive. You break space and time.

Not really, Youtube's total amount of video data was just short of 9 petabytes (9000 TB) as of 2011. That would still, however, be about a 10 millionth (1.3x10^-7) of the mass of the moon (74x10^21 kg) given the proposed kB:kg conversion.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II