Public Service Announcement for Those with Mechanical Keyboards.

spaynton

If you are using a keyboard with Cherry MX switches and you have not installed o-rings, you need to.

That is all.

Seriously though. If you have never tried a mechanical keyboard that has been "o-ring" modded before you owe it to yourself to try it. Night and day difference, and I can actually type much more quickly.

If you have tried it before, post up your thoughts. Did you like it? Why or why not?

Here are some obligatory pictures.

I can make a quick video of the before and after sound if anyone is interested. Or there are a few good youtube videos.

post-123487-0-85941500-1414271355_thumb.

post-123487-0-00052400-1414271364_thumb.

So they decrease the key travel?

Where can I order some.

That is exactly what they do. With the MX blues you still get the tactile/audible click, but it stops before you get the loud "clack". It also makes them feel a little more springy if you often bottom out your keys. I ordered mine from ebay. Just do a search for keyboard o-ring.

I should point out that this mod works well with any type of cherry mx switch. I have a keyboard with browns in it and I plan to order another set to try them with.

Uh, no thanks. I use MX Whites and if you put o-rings on it, they suck. IMO

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Running windows on a mac monitor xD

Yea if and when I get a mech keyboard, definitely doing this

I used to use the cinema display with my Macbook Pro... After I built my gaming rig I couldn't justify replacing the screen because it is absolutely beautify... I use a KVM to swap between the macbook pro and the PC.

Uh, no thanks. I use MX Whites and if you put o-rings on it, they suck. IMO

What didn't you like about them with the whites? Travel too short?

I used to use the cinema display with my Macbook Pro... After I built my gaming rig I couldn't justify replacing the screen because it is absolutely beautify... I use a KVM to swap between the macbook pro and the PC.

Yeah it's a great panel, just is funny :P

What didn't you like about them with the whites? Travel too short?

They are very still, something like 65g. It just needs to bottom out to feel right.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

They are very still, something like 65g. It just needs to bottom out to feel right.

That makes sense. Blues and browns feel like they have way too much travel past the activation point. That's why the o-rings made such a nice difference. Have you tried thinner o-rings? When you type do you normally bottom out the keys?

That makes sense. Blues and browns feel like they have way too much travel past the activation point. That's why the o-rings made such a nice difference. Have you tried thinner o-rings? When you type do you normally bottom out the keys?

I tried the thinnest ones I could find something like 2mm-ish. Still doesn't feel as good as bare :P

I have been temped to try orings but not enough to pull my keycaps off since it is a bitch to do since I have no pcb holding the switchs down in my keyboard.

Interesting.

What size o rings did you end up using on your blues?
I'll be getting a mechanical keyboard for when I rebuild my computer in a month or so, and wouldn't mind trying that mod out.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you are using a keyboard with Cherry MX switches and you have not installed o-rings, you need to.

That is all.

Seriously though. If you have never tried a mechanical keyboard that has been "o-ring" modded before you owe it to yourself to try it. Night and day difference, and I can actually type much more quickly.

If you have tried it before, post up your thoughts. Did you like it? Why or why not?

Here are some obligatory pictures.

I can make a quick video of the before and after sound if anyone is interested. Or there are a few good youtube videos.

I need my click.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

I have o-rings on my MX Red board and it feels amazing. I have also tried Logitech G710+ which has MX Browns and o-rings pre-installed and it felt horrible.

Has anyone used O-Rings on a KB with MX browns? Contemplating getting some for my Poker II.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Wait try something out to turn the keyboard I bought to get away from membrane to feel like a membrane keyboard? 

PSA: Stop bottoming out.

I have another das keyboard with Browns and a few left over o rings. I can put them in and let you know my thoughts.

Wait try something out to turn the keyboard I bought to get away from membrane to feel like a membrane keyboard?

PSA: Stop bottoming out.

Don't knock it till you try it! I wouldn't compare it to membrane keyboard at all. You can still touch type and not bottom out with the o rings. This just makes it much less likely to bottom out entirely and when you do prevents the clack.

Don't knock it till you try it! I wouldn't compare it to membrane keyboard at all. You can still touch type and not bottom out with the o rings. This just makes it much less likely to bottom out entirely and when you do prevents the clack.

Dont think I can bottom out with greens if I tried. :3 They so heavy

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

I bottom out greens lol I dont find them that heavy lol

Maybe because I came from using browns xD 

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

Maybe because I came from using browns xD

Could be. I use blacks in my keyboard and greens in my numpad and dont notice much difference in force needed