Which 970 is the best?

Rexchaos

Well if two or one aftermarket card does not matter, I already explained how it affects the heat in your case, and it only makes a difference if you have no aftermarket card :)

And yeah you have wifi on that board

Firestrike Score: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/10388602

May the Force be with you all!

this is not always the case, for example the bitfenix prodigy has 5 pci slots and combined with a mobo that allows for a gap (yeah they existed for a long time) you  will have a gap :P

(edit: if you do not believe me watch the video I posted above)

Prodigy is Fine .. but it's rare to find a Motherboard with a gap in mATX .. 

the biggest problem is the look of the blower designs. not the premium magnesium

Agree .. I hate the looks of blower ones too .. but sometimes you don't have a choice .. 

PNY and EVGA have some kinda better looking blower design if you don't like reference designs .. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

the biggest problem is the look of the blower designs. not the premium magnesium

Can i by chance do something like this?

http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d3/900x900px-LL-d32bbf64_5507_02_evga_geforce_gtx_780_3gb_superclocked_video_cards_in_sli_full.jpeg

^Reference and nonreference with the reference being on the back, 2nd pci slot.

Also does the gigabyte z97m gaming 5 have a sli bridge that comes with it?

Lastly would it be impossible to have two nonreference cards in sli for the prodigy? due to its size?

How much fans would you recommend me to get?

shroud and lower overclockability/temperatures.

you can do that with the two cards not being the same design but they do need to be in the same teir so 770 with 770 or in your case 970 with 970

regarding the sli bridge it does come with it .

review link for you to check out tells you what comes inside the box (http://www.eteknix.com/gigabyte-z97mx-gaming-5-lga-1150-motherboard-review/) .

regarding to fans:

go with air flow fans at exhaust and intakes with no mesh on them and go for presure on the rads really important there and they cost no extra

here are some fans that me and my friends had good experience with

bitfenix spectres.

nactua nff-12(you can pick up the nicer industrial ones but they cost more),

corsair af 120 or sp 120 (sp for filtered or constrected intake. af for free flowing areas like exhaust and free floowing intakes).

how many fans whelp ... you would want an intake an exhaust and that is it really i dont think you need more from my personal testing (was dont on an atx chasis mind you so i might be wrong here)

regarding the clearens for the case it can fit upto 320 cm graphics card with normal sized psu but if you go any bigger there is no 970 that would fit in there refrence or non-refrence

the longest 970 right now is the gigabyte g1-gaming wich comes in at 312 cm long and width is not an issue in this case (linus puns *smirks*).

some links i used:

bitfenix pradogy m review:  http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/bitfenix_prodigy_m_review/6

gigabyte g1-gaming gtx 970: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5209#sp

Edited by comstock

For the 970 models, I would get an EVGA card, they have reference PCB's, which make it easily compatible for water cooling if you decide to do that later. They're FTW version has one of the highest clock speeds, other than the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, but that has a large cooler which might not be optimal for a small form factor build. As for the motherboard I assume you are running an Intel LGA 1150 build, with that in mind I recommend the MSI Z97M Gaming. It features great on board audio (Audio Boost 2), with full virtual 7.1 surround support. I have a Z97 Gaming 5 which has the same on board audio, and I love it. It, from my experience, does some sort of smart audio tuning, which will lower all other sounds to better focus on the main audio source. For example Say you have a Skype call, and are watching a YouTube video, It will lower the Skype volume slightly while you have the video playing, and when you stop it the audio re balances.

For the 970 models, I would get an EVGA card, they have reference PCB's, which make it easily compatible for water cooling if you decide to do that later. They're FTW version has one of the highest clock speeds, other than the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, but that has a large cooler which might not be optimal for a small form factor build. As for the motherboard I assume you are running an Intel LGA 1150 build, with that in mind I recommend the MSI Z97M Gaming. It features great on board audio (Audio Boost 2), with full virtual 7.1 surround support. I have a Z97 Gaming 5 which has the same on board audio, and I love it. It, from my experience, does some sort of smart audio tuning, which will lower all other sounds to better focus on the main audio source. For example Say you have a Skype call, and are watching a YouTube video, It will lower the Skype volume slightly while you have the video playing, and when you stop it the audio re balances.

Ah i see. but since someone recommended me the gigabyte z97m first, how would they fare against eachother? and i probably wont be water cooling my gpus, just my cpu probably.

I have, but not very much. Im not a massive overclocker, and lower noise is more important to me. There really isn't any games I play, where I feel I need too overclock it.

If overclocking is the most important thing for you, then Gigabyte seems to be the option. But I can get back to you when I receive my MSI 970. Can do some comparisons.

But the Strix is lovely quiet.

doesn't the strix has one of the lowest stock ocs?

Thanks. Did you get it to 1500Mhz on the core or boost clock?

what does the core or boost clock mean?

Well if two or one aftermarket card does not matter, I already explained how it affects the heat in your case, and it only makes a difference if you have no aftermarket card :)

And yeah you have wifi on that board

thats great. how would the gigabyte z97m fare with the msi z97m though? as referred by another person

Prodigy is Fine .. but it's rare to find a Motherboard with a gap in mATX .. 

Agree .. I hate the looks of blower ones too .. but sometimes you don't have a choice .. 

PNY and EVGA have some kinda better looking blower design if you don't like reference designs .. 

Nope there are many mATX boards that have a gap ;) just watch carefully :)

you can do that with the two cards not being the same design but they do need to be in the same teir so 770 with 770 or in your case 970 with 970

regarding the sli bridge it does come with it .

review link for you to check out tells you what comes inside the box (http://www.eteknix.com/gigabyte-z97mx-gaming-5-lga-1150-motherboard-review/) .

regarding to fans:

go with air flow fans at exhaust and intakes with no mesh on them and go for presure on the rads really important there and they cost no extra

here are some fans that me and my friends had good experience with

bitfenix spectres.

nactua nff-12(you can pick up the nicer industrial ones but they cost more),

corsair af 120 or sp 120 (sp for filtered or constrected intake. af for free flowing areas like exhaust and free floowing intakes).

how many fans whelp ... you would want an intake an exhaust and that is it really i dont think you need more from my personal testing (was dont on an atx chasis mind you so i might be wrong here)

regarding the clearens for the case it can fit upto 320 cm graphics card with normal sized psu but if you go any bigger there is no 970 that would fit in there refrence or non-refrence

the longest 970 right now is the gigabyte g1-gaming wich comes in at 312 cm long and width is not an issue in this case (linus puns *smirks*).

some links i used:

bitfenix pradogy m review:  http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/bitfenix_prodigy_m_review/6

gigabyte g1-gaming gtx 970: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5209#sp

that's exactly what i've been explaining for days :P but thanks for the nice summary :D

Ah i see. but since someone recommended me the gigabyte z97m first, how would they fare against eachother? and i probably wont be water cooling my gpus, just my cpu probably.

doesn't the strix has one of the lowest stock ocs?

what does the core or boost clock mean?

thats great. how would the gigabyte z97m fare with the msi z97m though? as referred by another person

which ever you prefer :D the differences are minimal so go for the layout that appeals to you and look for features that are useful for you (like the wifi you mentioned above)

If you're going for reference blower coolers, Id go with EVGA for those for their better warrenty and support.

Linus is my fetish.

From what I can see of the Z97M from Gigabyte, it doesn't look to have that beefy on board audio, and I the MSI Z97M Gaming, is meant specifically for gaming, hence the name. Also I personally think the MSi board wins in the looks department with the matte black PCB.

From what I can see of the Z97M from Gigabyte, it doesn't look to have that beefy on board audio, and I the MSI Z97M Gaming, is meant specifically for gaming, hence the name. Also I personally think the MSi board wins in the looks department with the matte black PCB.

The z97m is also from the gigabyte's gaming 5 line though so the specifically for gaming quote is kind of pointless. Although i get what you are trying to say, is MSI's audio that vastly superior ? Im saying this because the msi's are around $10 more after rebate and all, it would be rather troublesome and all in all,

that's exactly what i've been explaining for days :P but thanks for the nice summary :D

haha sorry kaptyyoo, my indecisiveness is quite high lmao.  but all these cooling and all are making me dizzy . So apparently im getting the Seidon 240m a 240 rad with their regular static pressure fans because i saw a review and those CM fans vs cm sickleflow fans have like a 1-2 degrees celcius difference, not worth spending money on, so the real question is, should i buy more fans ontop of the prodigy coming with 2 fans .

If you're going for reference blower coolers, Id go with EVGA for those for their better warrenty and support.

Oh i probably def will go for EVGA if nvidia doesnt release a reference 970.

which ever you prefer :D the differences are minimal so go for the layout that appeals to you and look for features that are useful for you (like the wifi you mentioned above)

I might just go with the gigabyte, cheaper by $10 and the with the msi i'd have to go through rebate and all to get the reduced price. But i might change my mind if i find out that its worth the time and effort to do so.

The G1 is expensive for $369.99 but well worth it. I am going to be buying two myself very soon as I want to try out G-Sync surround. It's in stock at newegg.com now.

The z97m is also from the gigabyte's gaming 5 line though so the specifically for gaming quote is kind of pointless. Although i get what you are trying to say, is MSI's audio that vastly superior ? Im saying this because the msi's are around $10 more after rebate and all, it would be rather troublesome and all in all,

I had looked at the z97m motherboard, not the z97mx gaming, mistake on my part.

Thanks. Did you get it to 1500Mhz on the core or boost clock?

1500Mhz Core clock on air is impossible. Everybody is getting 1500+Mhz Boost on their 970 if they're lucky enough. The problem with the Strix is that there are some power limitations so there's no much oc headroom, it also depends on the card and if you're lucky. My G1 Gaming can go to 1540Mhz Boost with stock voltage, so I got a "meh" card. Is not too bad, but is not too good.

What card do you have?

Ok I played CS:GO on max and LoL on max as well @ 1920X1200 with my STRIX and seems stable but not sure if these games are a good test. My boost clock when I look at the graphics of ASUS GPU tweaker it gets to 1463Mhz Boost. Is this good?

yea i know but the thing was so spread out i just wanted to put it in one place :P

Base clock is around 1300 for 1500+ boost. Generally these chips should OC to 1450-1600 Mhz boost clock based on silicon lottery.

Linus is my fetish.

In your case every fan you buy more would be pure aesthetics, not of very much use :) Personally I care a lot about aesthetics :P so it is up to you :)

As for the GPU: keep in mind that the msi card does not have a backplate :P

I had looked at the z97m motherboard, not the z97mx gaming, mistake on my part.

So which of them are better?

In your case every fan you buy more would be pure aesthetics, not of very much use :) Personally I care a lot about aesthetics :P so it is up to you :)

As for the GPU: keep in mind that the msi card does not have a backplate :P

Ah i see. thanks for the help kaptyyoo.

So which of them are better?

I'd still go with the MSI one, the gigabyte one does have video outputs on the rear I/O, but that's only if you choose to run integrated graphics.

I'd still go with the MSI one, the gigabyte one does have video outputs on the rear I/O, but that's only if you choose to run integrated graphics.

The problem is i believe the gigabyte one has wifi, but the msi one doesnt. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I personally dont think any 970 can beat a gigabyte 970 G1 with its high clock speed few are faster and is great for overclocking with strong reliability and a good size.

The problem is i believe the gigabyte one has wifi, but the msi one doesnt. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't believe that it does