Which 970 is the best?

Rexchaos

Well I can't tell you if it is perfect unfortunately. I would take an ASUS board over gigabyte any day, but all their mATX boards are layed out to have gpus in the first and third slot, therefore not leaving a gap in between the gpus.

but linus used the sniper in one of his builds as well and I hope he is not using crappy hardware. Of course that is not really proof of anything.

I would highly suggest giving the gpus as much air as possible to have a good experience and that means leaving slot three unpopulated.

So what would happen if i got lets say a Asus Gene and then had a reference cooler in the back for its blower type cooler, evga makes some i believe, and have an aftermarket cooler ontop?

Concerning the intake fans:

If you have enough money take noctua fans tell me if you want some specific ones. Or if you care about the looks go for bitfenix spectre (whatever color you like) 120mm they do decently well.

and for the radiator, what cpu are you looking for?

for example if you take an i7 4790k, the H80i from corsair or the x41 from NZXT are a good choice.

And push pull is not necessary. Pull is enough. And for further information watch linus video about it.

And the sniper m5 is also a good choie because of the gap between the GPUs as mentioned above.

So what would happen if i got lets say a Asus Gene and then had a reference cooler in the back for its blower type cooler, evga makes some i believe, and have an aftermarket cooler ontop?

And i know noctua fans have good reviews but im looking for an AIO water cooler to make it more quiet i guess and OC better even though it has no real performance increases (bare minimum in real world situations). Also Daniel recommended Jetflo's from CM, so Bitfenix spectre's or CM jetflo's ? both 120 mm.

Case wise I'd go for a N200 with window (High ventalations)

the Best GTX 970 would be the G1 Gaming for gigabyte but I wouls suggest to you the MSI  Twin Frozr 5 GTX 970 4GB, for it's shorter length and it's Zero frozr driver(Fans don't turn on till 60 dgrees)

i'm overclocking my babies on a Asus Gryphon Z97 armour ED

SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming  GTX 970s (both at 1589mhz but takes up alot of space)

Dual CoolerMaster JetFlo 120mm for intakes at 1600rpm

Yeah but i really like the Prodigy's look and already brought it. I just want to make the best outta it and also Asus's strix also has that turn off until 60 degrees etc ability. But i been hearing MSI's 970 overclocks like a beast, more than the strix apparently.

Would help you more if you have some more concrete preferences.

Well my preferences for MB would be OC ability, sound quality and wifi / ethernet-ability ?

As for GPU's I would want a reasonably priced Gpu, i dont mind paying premium 50 or w/e for Gigabyte's as long as it does what it does. Giving me the good frames and OC well.

As for cooling, i was looking for an AIO h100i to be exact and some recommended me to the CM seidon 240m. So im rather confused.

Also i would like to keep the price modestly down, first build of mines but would like for it to be fantastic.

Rest of my components are an i5 4690k and Seasonic 750w gold semi modular.

Thanks so far for the help guys!

Ooookay let's get started :)

So you have a bitfenix prodigi M which has 5 pci slots.

Let me tell you some things about the space in this case ;)

SLI

So you said you want to have an SLI config with two 970.

Make sure the cards are not too long. For example I have the 760 twin frozer and an rm750 psu (slightly larger than yours) and this would not fit into the prodigy, one of the components is too long. So it makes sense for you to take a rather short card. For example:

Msi 970 with the reference style cooler

or

Gainward also has one with the reference style cooler

or

Palit also has a 970 with the refernece style cooler

there may be some others but i do not know what the availability in your country is like. So my advice: as long as it is a blower style (aka: refernece design) cooler you're good

I'm sure you are curious why i recommend a blower style cooler? ;) (they tend to be louder and have worse performance right?) Yes this is true but it is all about the heat that is generated. An open air design (like the strix or the twin frozer) do mostly spin the air arround in the case but the blower style cooler pushes the air out of the case and like this the heat does not have to go through the radiator (what would effect your cpu performance)

And as for the second card do not take a lager card as the lower one, it will cover up the lower card and restrict airflow.

Now should you take a mainboard that leaves a gap between the card or not?

Yes take for example the Gigabyte Z97MX-GAMING 5

it has KILLER Ethernet and some creative sound stuff in it so this should satisfy your preferneces and you have the possibility to leave a gap between the gpu's

And finally about CPU cooling.

You said you want an AIO with a 240mm rad, but this only works if you install it in the bottom of the case because the in the top you have your upper gpu. And if you really mount it to the bottom you will not be able to put HDDs anywhere!

So i recommend buying an AIO with a 120mm rad for example an H80i which does a good job even if your cpu is oc'ed. Or if you want to pay "premium" go for the NZXT KRAKEN X41, it is a 140mm AIO but it is thinner and won't take that much space :)

And for the fans, spectre should do the job as intakes! For the AIO i guess you know that static pressure fans are better :)

So tell me wheter you now have an idea what to buy?

Firestrike Score: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/10388602

May the Force be with you all!

Ooookay let's get started :)

So you have a bitfenix prodigi M which has 5 pci slots.

Let me tell you some things about the space in this case ;)

SLI

So you said you want to have an SLI config with two 970.

Make sure the cards are not too long. For example I have the 760 twin frozer and an rm750 psu (slightly larger than yours) and this would not fit into the prodigy, one of the components is too long. So it makes sense for you to take a rather short card. For example:

Msi 970 with the reference style cooler

or

Gainward also has one with the reference style cooler

or

Palit also has a 970 with the refernece style cooler

there may be some others but i do not know what the availability in your country is like. So my advice: as long as it is a blower style (aka: refernece design) cooler you're good

I'm sure you are curious why i recommend a blower style cooler? ;) (they tend to be louder and have worse performance right?) Yes this is true but it is all about the heat that is generated. An open air design (like the strix or the twin frozer) do mostly spin the air arround in the case but the blower style cooler pushes the air out of the case and like this the heat does not have to go through the radiator (what would effect your cpu performance)

And as for the second card do not take a lager card as the lower one, it will cover up the lower card and restrict airflow.

Now should you take a mainboard that leaves a gap between the card or not?

Yes take for example the Gigabyte Z97MX-GAMING 5

it has KILLER Ethernet and some creative sound stuff in it so this should satisfy your preferneces and you have the possibility to leave a gap between the gpu's

And finally about CPU cooling.

You said you want an AIO with a 240mm rad, but this only works if you install it in the bottom of the case because the in the top you have your upper gpu. And if you really mount it to the bottom you will not be able to put HDDs anywhere!

So i recommend buying an AIO with a 120mm rad for example an H80i which does a good job even if your cpu is oc'ed. Or if you want to pay "premium" go for the NZXT KRAKEN X41, it is a 140mm AIO but it is thinner and won't take that much space :)

And for the fans, spectre should do the job as intakes! For the AIO i guess you know that static pressure fans are better :)

So tell me wheter you now have an idea what to buy?

I can't get a aftermarket and a reference 970? Would it be too long? Like i believe the Gigabyte g1's are longer than normal so i think i cant fit those. but how about the msi 970 4g?

I take it that you also had a prodigy correct?

Also the 970 didn't come with an reference cooler, only the 980 did and as for blower type coolers i believe EVGA and some other brands had some.

Thanks for the recommendation of the MB, however there are mixed reviews about how its DOA, not as good as it is and yeah. Is killer ethernet the best? or intel Ethernet better?

Also are there any reviews for the motherboard?

For sound i believe creatives are enough as the supreme fx on the genes are pretty much modded realteaks i believe?

For cpu cooling, im intending to go full SSD or 2.5 inch drives, might throw in one of my laptop hard drives in there etc. So would that mean i would get an nice 240 rad?

The price differences of a 240 and a 140 or even a 120 isnt that much as the krakens are around $100, the h80 around 90ish and h100i sitting at $100.

does the spectres naturally come as intake fans? im new at this and are the basic fans that come with the AIO's good enough? or would i have to swap them out etc.

Lastly thanks for help and insight so far kaptyyoo!

Yeah correct i had the prodigy :P

For the GPUs:

Well theoretically you can get two different cards (for example msi and evga) but my concerns are space and heat and if you have the blowet type coolers you really do not have to worry about heat in your case.

But if you really want to have an aftermarket cooler make sure it is not longer than the refence design. So it is up to you.

For the Motherboard

Killer etherned is a solid choice and i assume you will game on this system and killer is perfectly suited for that :)

About the sound, you are right with what you said :)

For the AIO:

if you go all 2.5 inch drives you can put them in the side panel bracket so you would have space on the bottom of the case for your h100i :) but keep in mind you will not be able to add another drive later ;)

So that is why I recommend going for a 120mm or 140mm AIO such as the kraken x41 or the h80i :)

And now about the fans:

You can use fans as intakes or exhaust, it doesn't matter just check the arrow on the side of the fan then put them in the right orientation :)

This might help you:

This is a build from linus with two gpu's in the bitfenix phenom (the phenom basically is the same as the prodigy it just has a different external look but the internal layout is the same)

I hope i helped you with this :)

You coluld always wait till december for Gigabyte's GTX 970 Mini ITXs

Yeah correct i had the prodigy :P

For the GPUs:

Well theoretically you can get two different cards (for example msi and evga) but my concerns are space and heat and if you have the blowet type coolers you really do not have to worry about heat in your case.

But if you really want to have an aftermarket cooler make sure it is not longer than the refence design. So it is up to you.

For the Motherboard

Killer etherned is a solid choice and i assume you will game on this system and killer is perfectly suited for that :)

About the sound, you are right with what you said :)

For the AIO:

if you go all 2.5 inch drives you can put them in the side panel bracket so you would have space on the bottom of the case for your h100i :) but keep in mind you will not be able to add another drive later ;)

So that is why I recommend going for a 120mm or 140mm AIO such as the kraken x41 or the h80i :)

And now about the fans:

You can use fans as intakes or exhaust, it doesn't matter just check the arrow on the side of the fan then put them in the right orientation :)

This might help you:

This is a build from linus with two gpu's in the bitfenix phenom (the phenom basically is the same as the prodigy it just has a different external look but the internal layout is the same)

I hope i helped you with this :)

For the gpu, i get what you're saying but the biggest concern would be the lack of reference coolers and/or blower type coolers.

For the motherboard it seems like its the best for its price/performance ratio.

aio, if i indeed wanted a 3rd drive, couldnt i just directly place it onto the case? that would work no?

so wouldnt that mean i can get a more powerful and equally priced as the smaller rads a h100i or a seidon 240m?

Which would you recommend to me though? a h100i or a seidon 240m. I believe h100i is more widely used, but the seidon is more cheaper, almost half actually.

and i believe for fans you said bitfenix spectres are good,noctuas are good and coolermasters?

Lastly theoretically, if i removed everything from the prodigy mini itx version, i could fit everything that a m-atx has into a mini itx version correct?

^asking for my friend

You coluld always wait till december for Gigabyte's GTX 970 Mini ITXs

Yeah but the gigabyte 970 mini itx's has an open cooler design so i dont know whats the difference. and its the same price range i believe? in the 300's so i feel like a full length 970 would be superior and def more worth my money.

Yeah a full length gpu is more worth the price.

For the AIO both are solid choices so you can choose :) i would take the seidon so i could spend more on other parts :)

For fans

i would go with spectre or spectre pro because they have different colors and the noctuas look not that good actually:p and they are way more expensive :)

And cooler master sickle flow are not very good if you have a dust filter like in the top of the prodigy :)

If you are an extreme modder and you know how to cut aluminium and stuff, than you could, but as a non professional i would say no :P

i have the same question as this mate, i cant decide wich i should buy, since im really really afraid of the coil whine problem,  if someone can explain me this would be gr8

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

Well every card has its pros and cons but I list some here:                            (Note: these are only non-refernce design and the pros and cons in the bracket are aestetic things which won't affect performance)

Asus Strix;

+Only one 8pin power connector

+Backplate

+Fans do not spin until 60 degrees

+quiet

-less overclock due to only one power connector

-very wide card

-only 4 video outputs

MSI Twin Frozr V:

+ overclocks the best according to reviews

+same Fan technology like the strix

+very quiet

+(illuminated logo)

-No backplate

-Only 4 video outputs

Gigabyte G1 Gaming:

+very quiet

+backplate

+runs cool due to 3 fans

+6 video outputs!

+not very wide

(+illuminated logo)

-very long card

Zotac AMP! Omega

+overclocking made easy with some powerdelivery chips

+all metal shroud

+backplate

+5 video outputs

-2.5 slot card

-rather wide card

-dual 8pin connector

Zotac AMP! Extreme

+overclocking made easy like on the omega

+5 video outputs

+backplate

(+carbon fiber look shroud)

(+illuminated shroud)

-very long

-and wide

-2.5 slot card

-dual 8 pin connectors

Zotac

+short card

+dual 6pin connector

+metal shroud (i believe)

+ as wide as the pci slot

-only 4 video outputs

- the smaller the cooler the less overclock

Palit Jetstream

+silent fans

+5viedo output

(i do not know about the power connectors and the backplate)

-thicker than 2 pci slots

-slightly wider

Gainward Phantom

+very silent

+interchangeable fans

+cooling is very solid

+5video outputs

-2.5 slot card

-rather long card and slightly wider than normal

-no backplate (i believe)

EVGA ACX (SC/FTW)

+not wide card

+new fan design which is quieter than before

+good overclock

+ some versions have dual 6 pin connectors

+different versions available so you can buy according to your needs

-optional backplate

-only 4 video outputs

So it is up to you now, choose your weapon for gaming :P 

make sure it meets your needs and make sure that it fits in your case ;)

Well every card has its pros and cons but I list some here:                            (Note: these are only non-refernce design and the pros and cons in the bracket are aestetic things which won't affect performance)

Asus Strix;

+Backplate

+quiet

-very wide card

-only 4 video outputs

MSI Twin Frozr V:

+very quiet

+(illuminated logo)

-No backplate

-Only 4 video outputs

Gigabyte G1 Gaming:

+very quiet

+backplate

+runs cool due to 3 fans

+6 video outputs!

+not very wide

(+illuminated logo)

-very long card

Zotac AMP! Omega

+all metal shroud

+backplate

+5 video outputs

-2.5 slot card

-rather wide card

-dual 8pin connector

Zotac AMP! Extreme

+5 video outputs

+backplate

(+illuminated shroud)

-very long

-and wide

-2.5 slot card

-dual 8 pin connectors

Zotac

+short card

+dual 6pin connector

-only 4 video outputs

Palit Jetstream

+silent fans

+5viedo output

-slightly wider

Gainward Phantom

+very silent

+interchangeable fans

+cooling is very solid

+5video outputs

-2.5 slot card

EVGA ACX (SC/FTW)

+not wide card

+good overclock

-optional backplate

-only 4 video outputs

any would fit tbh but my main concern is the coil whine tho.. :x

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

any would fit tbh but my main concern is the coil whine tho.. :x

coil whine is not really a problem anymore, it rarely occurs nowadays :)

and if you recognize coil whining you can send it back and get a new one (at least here in switzerland)

this is from linus ;)

For mATX keep in mind that there will be no gap between the cards .. hence, I would highly recommend to go for something with the "Blower" design .. 

Examples: nVidia Reference, PNY and EVGA .. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

For mATX keep in mind that there will be no gap between the cards .. hence, I would highly recommend to go for something with the "Blower" design .. 

this is not always the case, for example the bitfenix prodigy has 5 pci slots and combined with a mobo that allows for a gap (yeah they existed for a long time) you  will have a gap :P

(edit: if you do not believe me watch the video I posted above)

the biggest problem is the look of the blower designs. not the premium magnesium

Asus Strix;

+Backplate

+quiet

-very wide card

-only 4 video outputs

MSI Twin Frozr V:

+very quiet

+(illuminated logo)

-No backplate

-Only 4 video outputs

Gigabyte G1 Gaming:

+very quiet

+backplate

+runs cool due to 3 fans

+6 video outputs!

+not very wide

(+illuminated logo)

-very long card

Zotac AMP! Omega

+all metal shroud

+backplate

+5 video outputs

-2.5 slot card

-rather wide card

-dual 8pin connector

Zotac AMP! Extreme

+5 video outputs

+backplate

(+illuminated shroud)

-very long

-and wide

-2.5 slot card

-dual 8 pin connectors

Zotac

+short card

+dual 6pin connector

-only 4 video outputs

Palit Jetstream

+silent fans

+5viedo output

-slightly wider

Gainward Phantom

+very silent

+interchangeable fans

+cooling is very solid

+5video outputs

-2.5 slot card

EVGA ACX (SC/FTW)

+not wide card

+good overclock

-optional backplate

-only 4 video outputs

Can i by chance do something like this?

http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d3/900x900px-LL-d32bbf64_5507_02_evga_geforce_gtx_780_3gb_superclocked_video_cards_in_sli_full.jpeg

^Reference and nonreference with the reference being on the back, 2nd pci slot.

Also does the gigabyte z97m gaming 5 have a sli bridge that comes with it?

Lastly would it be impossible to have two nonreference cards in sli for the prodigy? due to its size?

How much fans would you recommend me to get?

shroud and lower overclockability/temperatures.

Also does the gigabye z97m gaming 5 have wifi? Sometimes i move my computer and not always near a ethernet.

the biggest problem is the look of the blower designs. not the premium magnesium

Can i by chance do something like this?

http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d3/900x900px-LL-d32bbf64_5507_02_evga_geforce_gtx_780_3gb_superclocked_video_cards_in_sli_full.jpeg

^Reference and nonreference with the reference being on the back, 2nd pci slot.

Also does the gigabyte z97m gaming 5 have a sli bridge that comes with it?

Lastly would it be impossible to have two nonreference cards in sli for the prodigy? due to its size?

How much fans would you recommend me to get?

shroud and lower overclockability/temperatures.

Yeah you basically can no problem :) as long as both cards have the same amount of GDDR5 and have the same chip (for example gtx 970)

yep if the board is sli ready there will be a bridge included

and about the size, it depends on the size of the PSU

these two parts might interfere :S but look at linus build i posted, if you have a powersupply like he took you can fit basically evercard exept for those ultralong gigabytes or Zotacs :S

well it depends on your needs, do you want to push the cards to its limits or do you want silence in your case or do just want it to look good? :P

Yeah you basically can no problem :) as long as both cards have the same amount of GDDR5 and have the same chip (for example gtx 970)

yep if the board is sli ready there will be a bridge included

and about the size, it depends on the size of the PSU

these two parts might interfere :S but look at linus build i posted, if you have a powersupply like he took you can fit basically evercard exept for those ultralong gigabytes or Zotacs :S

well it depends on your needs, do you want to push the cards to its limits or do you want silence in your case or do just want it to look good? :P

if this is possible then i'll probably get a msi 970 4g and then have a reference cooler once it comes out. possibly with the titan magnesium cooler.

Also does the z97m gigabyte gaming 5 have wifi?

Lastly i want to push the cards to its limit but not have that much sound.

im probably going for the seidon 240m due to temperatures and sound not being too drastic from the h100i which is almost twice its price.

Due to researching, the cm fans that comes with the 240m is pretty good and differences from the sickleflow arent even that high, maybe 1-2 celcius difference but looks better - sickleflow.

i will be using a headset, hyperx cloud, so anything thats not too noisy.

thanks for the help again Kaptyyoo

if this is possible then i'll probably get a msi 970 4g and then have a reference cooler once it comes out. possibly with the titan magnesium cooler.

Also does the z97m gigabyte gaming 5 have wifi?

Lastly i want to push the cards to its limit but not have that much sound.

im probably going for the seidon 240m due to temperatures and sound not being too drastic from the h100i which is almost twice its price.

Due to researching, the cm fans that comes with the 240m is pretty good and differences from the sickleflow arent even that high, maybe 1-2 celcius difference but looks better - sickleflow.

i will be using a headset, hyperx cloud, so anything thats not too noisy.

thanks for the help again Kaptyyoo

Hm if you want to really push the cards then why don't you go with two aftermarket cards?

ehm i don't know wheter it has wifi or not you need to look it up

but mostly wifi comes with mini ITX boards and not with mATX boards

Hm if you want to really push the cards then why don't you go with two aftermarket cards?

ehm i don't know wheter it has wifi or not you need to look it up

but mostly wifi comes with mini ITX boards and not with mATX boards

Thats because since its a small case, i'm afraid that two aftermarket cards would make it too hot? or that wouldnt be the case?

And aw thats a real bummer, the gigabyte doesnt seem to have wifi apparently. Does that mean it'd have to be through an ethernet in order to get signal?

Edit:

i looked up the gigabyte z97mx it says

• Realtek ALC1150 115dB SNR HD Audio with built-in rear audio amplifier
  • Killer™ E2200 gaming networking
  • Bluetooth 4.0 + 867Mbps 11AC dual band WIFI card

Does this mean it have wifi or not?

I playing around with a 970 strix right now and will have a MSI 970 a month from now. The strix can really play a lot of older games without even turning on the fan and its pretty damn silent when the fans are running.

Both MSI and Asus has the fan turn on thingy.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Did you try and overclock the STRIX? What is your best overclock?

I playing around with a 970 strix right now and will have a MSI 970 a month from now. The strix can really play a lot of older games without even turning on the fan and its pretty damn silent when the fans are running.

Both MSI and Asus has the fan turn on thingy.

Did you try and overclock the STRIX? What is your best overclock?

I have, but not very much. Im not a massive overclocker, and lower noise is more important to me. There really isn't any games I play, where I feel I need too overclock it.

If overclocking is the most important thing for you, then Gigabyte seems to be the option. But I can get back to you when I receive my MSI 970. Can do some comparisons.

But the Strix is lovely quiet.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Thanks. Did you get it to 1500Mhz on the core or boost clock?

Thanks. Did you get it to 1500Mhz on the core or boost clock?

Never tried. As I said, overclocking is not whats important to me.