UPDATED: Hungarian government to impose new "internet tax" in 2015

JcGross
Go to solution Solved by MiChAeLoKGB,

Well, the protests were successfull and there will be no internet tax :)

Lets hope, that other countries will learn from this, and won't even try for such stupid tax.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/eu-warns-hungary-over-internet-tax-plan-1414511855 - EU Warns Hungary Over Internet Tax Plan

http://zahranicni.ihned.cz/zahranicni/-evropa/c1-63036990-orban-se-zalekl-odporu-madarsko-ustoupilo-od-dane-z-internetu - it's in Czech language, but basically, the Orban obviously feeled the protests and he told in radio, that goverment won't impose internet tax. After first protest they came with max. monthly limit for the tax, and after second one it looks like theyre backing up from this idea completly.

But he also told, that there will be public consultation about internet regulation in January.

Ohh and I forgot to mention that this will result in the disappearance of all the "Free Wi-Fi" spots all over the country, because no-one will be stupid enough to pay for someone else downloading huge data trough his internet...

Thats what i was thinking. No internet cafes, not library internet, no school WiFi, nothing.

That's some dumb shit, I'd leave the country.

This needs to be stopped. People leaving wont stop other countries from doing the same. Who is in charge of this? Say for example he was assassinated and put on display and made an example out of in a very brutal manner, this would never ever happen again. 

But that's just my thought process. 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Now the United States of Corrupt Idiots in Charge is going to do this.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

As I said, there's a big chance that this is bait to cover more important issues and the government doesn't actually want to issue the tax. Plus, the resistance is forming, so we hope they can't get this through even if they are serious about it.[/quotes]

Budapest in flames soon again

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

In an update it seems that the government is already retreating, now implying that the maximum tax for an individual would be 700Ft (~2.8USD) and for companies 5000Ft (~20USD). I don't yet know how reliable this information is though.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

I have a Lithuanian friend and in his country they tax you for every Gb of HDD space you buy. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Wat? You mean to tell me a government thinks it's entitled to a little bit of money from EVERYTHING? Surely that's not possible....../sarc

The mafia didn't get shut down, it got elected, and started calling itself "the government", doesn't matter where you live.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is terrible and I prefer we do something, as foreigners from the internet our power to punch the Hungarian government in the face is non-existent; but I do think we can mess up their statistics and data gathering if we bombard every piece of social media and public  speech that is directly bound to this government; make a online protest like we would do on the street but on their service traffic.

I'm not talking about DDOSing or stupidity spewing, because that will only hurt those that are trying to work; we can plan something like a feedback weekend, where we devote part of our time to explain calm and smart why this is not right to every information hub where the Hungarian government and unaware Hungarian citizens can get informed. Right now before it gets cold someone from Hungary should start this on reddit, and start the planning.

Am I too crazy to think this can help? It won't solve the problem, but it's the only way I can figure out that would make every person on the internet helpful.

I think i'll give it 2 months before that law is reverted

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Wat? You mean to tell me a government thinks it's entitled to a little bit of money from EVERYTHING? Surely that's not possible....../sarc

The mafia didn't get shut down, it got elected, and started calling itself "the government", doesn't matter where you live.

Obviously! Because it's the government! It can do whatever it wants!

/s

I'm almost 100% sure this will be on The Tek this week.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

if this will be a thing than they can be sued and win easy. bcouse of EU laws

Obviously! Because it's the government! It can do whatever it wants!

/s

I'm almost 100% sure this will be on The Tek this week.

Oh yeah, I always forget that that happens when you let those who write the rules, write the rules that apply to them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeeey, thumbs up for Balkan!

When they realize all the techies move to other countries (shouldn't be hard because EU) they will realize they are making a mistake.

Internet Tax: BULLSHIT DETECTED!!!

that is a really dumb tax 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

My own opinion on this is that it is just obviously plain wrong. However, could we soon see this happening in the US or the EU? I hope for the hungarian people that it's thrown out.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

For everebody's sake I hope Hungarians stand their ground and will give hell to those who want to make this BS a reality.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Let's stop the progress. That's how I see this. If that tax money would go to improve infrastructure... maybe that would be worth it but it seems just for filling big holes in countries budged.

Let's stop the progress. That's how I see this. If that tax money would go to improve infrastructure... maybe that would be worth it but it seems just for filling big holes in countries budged.

No, not really.It goes into the pockets of certain people.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

One of the worst ideas I have ever heard. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I hope whoever came up with the idea gets proper punishment.

I wonder how many other countries will follow Hungary if they manage to succeed. I really hope that it won't come to the EU, the fact that some ISPs already have bandwidth caps is terrible enough we don't need extra internettax. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

My own opinion on this is that it is just obviously plain wrong. However, could we soon see this happening in the US or the EU? I hope for the hungarian people that it's thrown out.

EU? No. US? Guaranteed, now that the idea exists and the US people won't ever protest anything.