ATH M50Xs not sounding as good as I expected

spencermehta
Go to solution Solved by creatip123,

The M50X do sound better than the Siberia V2s, it's just they don't sound that much better

TBH, if you ask me, I wouldn't say the M50 is waayyy better than the V2, though. I'd say it's just about 1 level above (yeah, M50 lovers gonna hate me for this, but that's what I think). V2 is 'average', and M50 is a tad above average. You're gonna get that wow factor when you're upgrading to a headphone a few level above the original. 

Like I said, I'd rather prefer the AD700 or AD700x, than the M50 (tried them all). 

Well, just give it time, you'll grow accustomed to the sound. Who knows, after a while, when you tried the V2 again, you'd actually hear a bigger difference.

BTW, this is a good exercise for your ears, and at the same time will get your ears accustomed to the M50: google 'philips golden ear challenge'. It's a series of quizzes on sounds. Keep doing it until you reach at least golden ears stage, and you'll sharpen your ears to distinguish minor differences in sounds.

I recently got the Audio Technica ATH M50Xs and was surprised at the fact that they didn't sound much better than my old SteelSeries Siberia V2s. I was wandering whether the Siberia V2s were just very good headphones aswell or if my audio setup has something to do with it. I have the ATH M50Xs plugged into a Behringer Xenyx 1204 mixer which is then hooked up to my PC, phone etc. It sounds pretty much the same when I plug it in to my PC and phone directly. 

I've heard that getting an amp makes them sound better but I assumed a mixer does pretty much the same job.

All replies are appreciated and thank you in advance.

i7 4790K, EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, NZXT Phantom 530, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, BenQ XL2411T 1080p 144Hz, BenQ GL2250 1080p 60Hz, Razer Arctosa, Logitech G400s, Roccat Savu, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB Mixer

What source are you testing them with? You won't notice a difference with say 120kbps mp3s for example. 

I recently got the Audio Technica ATH M50Xs and was surprised at the fact that they didn't sound much better than my old SteelSeries Siberia V2s. I was wandering whether the Siberia V2s were just very good headphones aswell or if my audio setup has something to do with it. I have the ATH M50Xs plugged into a Behringer Xenyx 1204 mixer which is then hooked up to my PC, phone etc. It sounds pretty much the same when I plug it in to my PC and phone directly. 

I've heard that getting an amp makes them sound better but I assumed a mixer does pretty much the same job.

Fake ATH M50s exist. It's possible that M50x fakes exist too and you weren't lucky. Try listening to some lossless music on your new and old headphones.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Fake ATH M50s exist. It's possible that M50x fakes exist too and you weren't lucky. Try listening to some lossless music on your new and old headphones.

Does spotify count?

how does lossless music help? if anything try pandora to spotifly, pretty much 96 kpbs on pandora vs spotifly 192ish kpbs or download some music an encode it from 320 to 96 and try to tell the diff. you won't hear the diff from mp3 to flac unless you have super ears or very high end headphones.

Does spotify count?

No

how does lossless music help? if anything try pandora to spotifly, pretty much 96 kpbs on pandora vs spotifly 192ish kpbs or download some music an encode it from 320 to 96 and try to tell the diff. you won't hear the diff from mp3 to flac unless you have super ears or very high end headphones.

Lossless music has a very high bitrate. 1000+kbps. It's very easy to tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and lossless. To my ears anyway

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

No

Lossless music has a very high bitrate. 1000+kbps. It's very easy to tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and lossless. To my ears anyway

Hmm can you send some source for lossless music? because i don't really feel a big difference between my m50's and siberia v2s

No

I know what Lossless music is...  http://i.imgur.com/QCTsIiX.png so this should blow my mind with how much more "clear" it is? na, re-encode it to an mp3, still sounds the same to me on my IEM, my m40x and even my decent full size speakers. If you're conpairing HDtrack or priate vinyl rips, most of them, mainly vinyl rip have a other master than the CD/mp3 you're conpairing it to. HDtrack is known to use better master than a CD to make it sound better.

It's very easy to tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and lossless. To my ears anyway

Placebo.

Hmm can you send some source for lossless music? because i don't really feel a big difference between my m50's and siberia v2s

Wherever you'd normally obtain music, look for 320 kbps MP3s. You'll definitely notice the difference then. FLAC is also an option, though it takes up a lot of disc space, and is probably of no use for you unless you want it for archiving.

But either way, if you're using compressed crap like YouTube or Spotify to listen to music, you're doing it wrong. To use an analogy we can all be familiar with, it's like comparing consoles to PCs. The quality difference is just, amazing.

Placebo.

Wherever you'd normally obtain music, look for 320 kbps MP3s. You'll definitely notice the difference then. FLAC is also an option, though it takes up a lot of disc space, and is probably of no use for you unless you want it for archiving.

But either way, if you're using compressed crap like YouTube or Spotify to listen to music, you're doing it wrong. To use an analogy we can all be familiar with, it's like comparing consoles to PCs. The quality difference is just, amazing.

Spotifly isn't that bad. at free it's all 160kbp. but yes, getting some flac then re-encoding to 320 then 160 then 96 and just play them back and try to pick out what is out is one way.

160 kbps is horrible though.

Better than Pandora's 96 that's free

160 kbps is horrible though.

IDK WHAT TO USE, spotify is usefull on the phone:(

Better than Pandora's 96 that's free

That doesn't make it acceptable though. I can't imagine listening to music at 160 kbps, that makes me feel ill.

320 kbps is still always an option, which may as well just completely dismiss 160 kbps.

That doesn't make it acceptable though. I can't imagine listening to music at 160 kbps, that makes me feel ill.

320 kbps is still always an option, which may as well just completely dismiss 160 kbps.

Where can i listen to high quality music then?

IDK WHAT TO USE, spotify is usefull on the phone:(

ON A PHONE? NOOOOOOOOOOOO. that's pretty much the same as pandora.

You either have to pay for it. or download some things.... cough

You can buy music digitally online. If it doesn't come in 320 kbps, buy it anyway to support the artist, but then download it in 320 kbps from whatever download/torrent site you fancy. After all, you would have already bought the music so no need to worry about piracy.

Or just skip straight to the downloading part.

By the way, the formats you're looking for are either MP3 320, MP3 V0, or FLAC. I'd stick with MP3 unless you specifically need FLAC (you'll know if you do). A simple search of 'Album 320' or 'Album V0' will fetch you plenty of results.

You can buy music digitally online. If it doesn't come in 320 kbps, buy it anyway to support the artist, but then download it in 320 kbps from whatever download/torrent site you fancy. After all, you would have already bought the music so no need to worry about piracy.

By the way, the formats you're looking for are either MP3 320, MP3 V0, or FLAC. I'd stick with MP3 unless you specifically need FLAC (you'll know if you do). A simple search of 'Album 320' or 'Album V0' will fetch you plenty of results.

Hmm how can i see that on the files?

Hmm how can i see that o

And hmm i listened to a song now with VLC and it sounds the same ._.

Hmm how can i see that on the files?

What do you mean?

The file would still be Song.mp3 or Song.flac. The bitrate you'll find in the file's properties.

pzshhk.pngldazdg.png

Does spotify count?

streaming music is usually below 100kb/s

not a good source of music

especially if you want to enjoy good headphones

FLAC/ALAC all the way.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

What do you mean?

The file would still be Song.mp3 or Song.flac. The bitrate you'll find in the file's properties.

pzshhk.pngldazdg.png

Yeah found that then used VLC to listen and i didn't feel any difference..

and im just sitting here....

with my 3 dollar skull candy in ears and my music i pirated baught off youtube itunes.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

And hmm i listened to a song now with VLC and it sounds the same ._.

Listening to what exactly? 320 kbps audio?