Aww, how cute, Wired was feeling left out (#GamerGate)

TAK
Go to solution Solved by Trik'Stari,

Oh look, more leftist parrots doing what leftist parrots do.

Get it through your THICK fucking skulls, gamers want gaming to be about video games, take your fucking politically correct bullshit and go ruin some other industry. It's about escaping reality and forgetting that we live in a universe that makes less sense than this

4BctM.gif

If being the "lowest common denominator" means supporting equal rights then sign me the hell up. It blows my mind how some of you think you're being more violated by seeing an occasional clickbait than by the girls getting death threats and sexually harassed for standing up for themselves. 

I, as a male, have been called a faggot, a cocksucker, a dickhead, a pleb, a casual, etc. while online - do I fucking whine about it and start some agenda campaign about it though? Do I rally up a political message that all gamers are hateful terrorists because of a few names I've been called online? No, I tell them to go fuck themselves then block/mute/delete them and tell myself that a small minority of idiots online doesn't represent EVERYONE.

Stop trying to make out that a certain demographic is a fucking mass victim, all you're doing is embarrassing yourself. You may be easily led like sheep by people such as Anita Sarkeesian, but fortunately not everyone else is.

You're trying to play yourself as the victim like almost everyone in here. That doesn't make it okay that you've been called those things, and being brash and saying that it happened to you isn't an excuse to not defend anyone else.

If being the "lowest common denominator" means supporting equal rights then sign me the hell up. It blows my mind how some of you think you're being more violated by seeing an occasional clickbait than by the girls getting death threats and sexually harassed for standing up for themselves. 

There's literally nothing you can do about an anonymous user on the internet making a fool of themselves except file a report and hope for the best.

Everyone who has reproductive organs are harassed for various reasons.

If you wanna talk about equal rights issues, take it up with the real world, not gaming culture. The asshattery in gaming culture is merely a symptom.

You're trying to play yourself as the victim like almost everyone in here. That doesn't make it okay that you've been called those things, and being brash and saying that it happened to you isn't an excuse to not defend anyone else.

Ahahahaa, what? Where did I try and make myself out as a victim? I definitely am not a victim.

My point is, that kind of abuse is common - whether it's some edgy 12-year-old on Call of Duty that calls you a faggot because you killed him with a headshot, or whether it's some middle-aged woman who calls you a sexist pig because you happen to have a different opinion to her. Instead, people like Anita want to make a fucking political agenda about how all gamers are fucking terrorists.

How come it's not okay for women to be abused, but it's okay for men to be abused and called sexist, misogynistic terrorists?

How come it's not okay for women to be abused, but it's okay for men to be abused and called sexist, misogynistic terrorists?

Beyond the scope of the discussion. It's all about journalistic ethics. If you get dragged down into a discussion about feminism, ignore it and move on. It has absolutely nothing to do with the gamergate movement.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Indeed

And for those of you wonder, in this case it's the pro-GamerGate side.

And thank God for that. Hopefully this anti gamer bullshit will stop soon.

It feels pretty bad to be called horrible things every other day by big media outlets which should be on your site.

Not really. It comes from both sides. The media outlets making articles like this are pretty bad BUT that doesn't excuse all the pro-GamerGate folks who use it to attack anyone who says something they disagree with. It's so bad now that the vast majority of the GamerGate shit going on from the pro side is all the worst people teaming up. The repetitively few intelligent, rational people on the pro side are pretty much drown out. The entire thing is a bad joke now. It's failed and it will never be anything but a bad joke. Whatever message people want to get across, they need to find a better movement to do it.

Not really. It comes from both sides. The media outlets making articles like this are pretty bad BUT that doesn't excuse all the pro-GamerGate folks who use it to attack anyone who says something they disagree with. It's so bad now that the vast majority of the GamerGate shit going on from the pro side is all the worst people teaming up. The repetitively few intelligent, rational people on the pro side are pretty much drown out. The entire thing is a bad joke now. It's failed and it will never be anything but a bad joke. Whatever message people want to get across, they need to find a better movement to do it.

Well I am not that involved but I have seen countless of really good videos and articles written for gamergate. The only bad jokes I see are the anti-GG side trying to use every fallacy in the book to defend themselves and attack anyone who disagrees with them.

I don't think it has failed either. A lot of sites involved has gotten a lot of bad press, and some companies are pulling their ads from major websites.

Also, do I have to post the list of people who have been attacked again? These are not nice people who have done nothing wrong.

No, the ethics about gaming "journalism" has been a pain point for many people long before Zoe Quin. Zoe was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Sure, her game didn't get any review. Her game did however get a reward in a contest where her friends (some friend who might have benefits ; ) ) were a judge. She also got favorable coverage for her game jam (which is a total scam, the money goes straight to her personal PayPal account) from Kotaku. But sure, let's ignore those two minor points and focus on "b-b-but she never got a review!".

The movement don't target positive mentions of feminism. That is just flat out bullshit. What the movement target is mentions of gamers being sexism. You are claiming people are going "oh they are talking good about a thing we dislike so let's attack that". The reality is that it goes like this "oh site X and Y are calling us horrible things, let's attack that". There is a massive difference. The core problem is that the gaming press are attacking gamers, and they are secretly collaborating to do so. Don't pretend like multiple sites posting articles about how "gamers are dead" on the same day is not an attack against gamers.

This is about ethics. The people being targeted are not targeted because they are women, they are being targeted because they are horrible fucking people. You just need to search "not your shield" to see that this is not straight white men vs females. This is gamers vs horrible people.

Do you want to know what women have been "attacked" by gamergate?

Zoe Quinn - Someone who scammed people from money (said she was going to hold a game jam and had a donation button for it, but all money went straight to her personal paypal account) and attacked The Fine Young Capitalists when they were trying to help female developers. By the way, 4chan and the gamergate movement has donated over 70,000 dollars to the project. The project is about giving a woman the chance to have her game developed for her, for free. She also has a photo of her wearing a pin saying "cuties killing video games". I am not sure about you, but if I was caught wearing a pin saying "cutie killing black people", I think I would deserve some backlash from that group of people.

Samantha Allen - I am going to cite her description of herself because that should be all you need to know about her. "i'm a misandrist. that means i hate men. i'm not a cute misandrist. i don't have a fridge magnet that says, "boys are stupid, throw rocks at them." my loathing cannt be contained by a fridge magnet. i am not an equality feminist."

Mattie Brice - A man hater who posts things like "Men's hearts are always so tasty" on twitter, along with a photo of some lunch she had just finished. She has also posted things like "lol video games are for losers". Again, if I posted "lol black people are losers" then I think I deserve some hate.

Anita Sarkeesian - A woman who pretends to like video games even though she said that she didn't at a speech a few years ago. Her videos are written and produced by a person called Jonathan McIntosh, the videos are full of stolen gameplay content (because you know, she don't play the games herself so she steal other peoples' videos) and logical fallacies.

Leigh Alexander - Here are some of her tweets, just so show what a "nice" person she is. "it's funny how dudes who are 'aspiring game journalists' tweet bullshit at me as if i cannot instantly kill all their dreams". "just killed another career it's a mild day". "maybe mean of me to burn a young female writer but. sorry. this is not gonna be a career for her.". She has also posted the personal information of the people she attacks on her twitter. This is just a small taste of her bat-shit insane posts. The scary part is that she actually has the power to end peoples' careers, and she uses it frequently.

But sure... These people are being attacked because they are women, right? That's why we are seeing gamers attack women like the ones with the #NotYourShield hashtag, or Christina Sommers and KiteTales.

Oh all those horrible attacks. Christina must be shivering in fear from comments like "I want to marry this woman", "I love you" and "fantastic work". I am surprised that KiteTales haven't fled her house with comments like "Great arguments listed, so happy to see someone who encourages people to view the positive side of women in games." and "omg, its the complete opposite of Anita. Your cute, actually have a brain and make a case and point. brilliant." on her videos.

Or no... Wait a minute. Those aren't mean comments at all! It's almost as if the gender of the person making a statement is completely irrelevant. I know this sounds crazy, but maybe, just maybe, people are being attacked not because they are women, but because they are fucking stupid and evil people? I know it sounds crazy, but from the examples given above it looks like a real possibility, don't you agree? When a person starts attacking gamers they get hated. When someone protects games they get praised, no matter what their gender is.

I should probably add Sam Biddle to that list. He said that there should be a public day where you beat "nerds" into submission and shame them.

The sad thing is that these are the "leaders" of the anti-GG movement, and people are praising them like Gods.

"I don't want equality. I want women to have fewer rights and be submissive to men. Also, people should donate to me because I will totally hold an event for gamers. The money goes straight to my PayPal and I have tried to shut down things I say I am for but please ignore that. Oh by the way, black people are losers. We should have an entire day where we beat black people into submission and publicly shame them. I love making women suffer. I have made a lot of women lose their jobs because I don't like them".

Does that sound fucked up to you? It does to me. The only thing I did was take the words and actions of the people being harassed, and changed the targets of the comments from "nerds" to "black people" and such. If I said those things I'd probably be beat up by simply walking down the street, yet these people are getting praised and gets big sums of money for saying these things. Not only that, but they are getting protected by pretty much every single media outlet, and their opponents are being painted as the bad guys.

It seriously sickens me that this has been twisted so much by the media.

Well I am not that involved but I have seen countless of really good videos and articles written for gamergate. The only bad jokes I see are the anti-GG side trying to use every fallacy in the book to defend themselves and attack anyone who disagrees with them.

I don't think it has failed either. A lot of sites involved has gotten a lot of bad press, and some companies are pulling their ads from major websites.

Also, do I have to post the list of people who have been attacked again? These are not nice people who have done nothing wrong.

I should probably add Sam Biddle to that list. He said that there should be a public day where you beat "nerds" into submission and shame them.

The sad thing is that these are the "leaders" of the anti-GG movement, and people are praising them like Gods.

"I don't want equality. I want women to have fewer rights and be submissive to men. Also, people should donate to me because I will totally hold an event for gamers. The money goes straight to my PayPal and I have tried to shut down things I say I am for but please ignore that. Oh by the way, black people are losers. We should have an entire day where we beat black people into submission and publicly shame them. I love making women suffer. I have made a lot of women lose their jobs because I don't like them".

Does that sound fucked up to you? It does to me. The only thing I did was take the words and actions of the people being harassed, and changed the targets of the comments from "nerds" to "black people" and such. If I said those things I'd probably be beat up by simply walking down the street, yet these people are getting praised and gets big sums of money for saying these things. Not only that, but they are getting protected by pretty much every single media outlet, and their opponents are being painted as the bad guys.

It seriously sickens me that this has been twisted so much by the media.

What about Brianna Wu who got so many threats of death, rape, and other violence to her and her family after someone found and listed her home address that she had to go somewhere else safe? Not to mention she believes people are attacking the financial accounts of her company. All of this over her poking some fun at the bad side of GamerGate by retweeting a meme generator someone sent to her. Explain to me how that is an appropriate reaction and in ANY way shines anything but a horrible light on the entire "movement"?

And speaking of all the people who are attacked. Yes some of them deserve to be called out on their shit but in NO WAY is the reaction from people justified by the things the others have done. I'd also like to point out that the public face of GamerGate, Adam Baldwin, is a giant douchebag and that is not a word I use lightly.

The anti-folks can be just as bad but outside of what seems like a small minority I don't see anything of value coming out of the pro or anti folks or anything of value coming from this entire thing besides giving gamers an even worse image.

And thank God for that. Hopefully this anti gamer bullshit will stop soon.

It feels pretty bad to be called horrible things every other day by big media outlets which should be on your site.

I've never had the chance to have a rational conversation about it with anyone who's "against it", so if you don't mind could you answer 2 serious questions:

1) Why are gamers so pissed?

2) What's the worst case scenario for the people in the "con-GamerGate" side?

not trying to be sarcastic or disrespectful, I'm genuinely wondering.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I've never had the chance to have a rational conversation about it with anyone who's "against it", so if you don't mind could you answer 2 serious questions:

I would definitely not summarize this issue in just 2 sentences, but I don't want to say more then just that much.

The best advice I can give is do a little research for yourself, and do understand; this is about who you trust, personal vendettas, lies, and makeing people believe in their message above all else.

I would definitely not summarize this issue in just 2 sentences, but I don't want to say more then just that much.

The best advice I can give is do a little research for yourself, and do understand; this is about who you trust, personal vendettas, lies, and makeing people believe in their message above all else.

I'm not completely oblivious to the issue, I've just never heard the argument from the side of people against it without a lot of anger behind it.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Literally the only thing I know about gamer gate is there's some people claiming a while back sexism is a problem in the gaming industry, and about 20 hate threads filled with exactly the crap supporting that claim. The hate threads really aren't doing the anti(or is it the pro? Idk) side any good.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Man, this thread is disappointing. Yes, I'll be the guy to say "this thread is fucked!". I'm that guy. Although there are some good responses in here.

How can you all be so ignorant? As gamers, do you care at all about the view society has on you? It all comes back to you in some way. Your mum's friend sees some article about how horrible gamers are, she tells your mum. Your mum asks you what you've been doing on the weekend and the conversation goes something like this:

"Yeah been playing a lot of cool new games"

"Like what?"

"Games like GTA 5, Watch Dogs, that sort of thing"

"Don't you mass murder people and kill prostitutes for fun in GTA? Don't you do the same in Watch Dogs? I don't want my son/daughter playing those games and getting ideas of doing things like that"

"What the fuck...?"

I, personally, have had enough of people telling me I'm a woman-hater, prostitute-killer, terrorist, mass-murderer and a perverted pig just because I play games. No, playing games doesn't make me any of those things. Does playing KSP make me a rocket scientist? Fuck no! I can take people telling me I'm gay, stupid, retarded or anything personal like that, but when someone attacks something I love (i.e, a hobby, gaming) using bullshit claims, it just rubs me right up the wrong way.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Can we just let GamerGate die already...

it started and ended so fast I didn't even know about it until all the relative posts using the # came up, all I found out about the original is that it had something to do with Intel removing an ad for a sponsor game that feminists didn't like. Now its just another # flying everywhere.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

*popcorn chewing sounds*

I'm almost getting tired of this spiel...

GamerGate was never about "the battle of the sexes" in the first place... It got twisted into that by a certain key-figure in the games media camp...

If we were to remove the smokescreen of "pop culture feminism", everything would be easier to understand...

What about Brianna Wu who got so many threats of death, rape, and other violence to her and her family after someone found and listed her home address that she had to go somewhere else safe? Not to mention she believes people are attacking the financial accounts of her company. All of this over her poking some fun at the bad side of GamerGate by retweeting a meme generator someone sent to her. Explain to me how that is an appropriate reaction and in ANY way shines anything but a horrible light on the entire "movement"?

And speaking of all the people who are attacked. Yes some of them deserve to be called out on their shit but in NO WAY is the reaction from people justified by the things the others have done. I'd also like to point out that the public face of GamerGate, Adam Baldwin, is a giant douchebag and that is not a word I use lightly.

The anti-folks can be just as bad but outside of what seems like a small minority I don't see anything of value coming out of the pro or anti folks or anything of value coming from this entire thing besides giving gamers an even worse image.

Brianna Wu not just "retweeting a meme generator someone sent to her". She said "Haha. This Opressed Gaergater thing is so full of win. I'll RT the best ones". She was encouraging people to make more, and she had already posted a bunch of them. She was willingly antagonizing the people in Gamergate and was using logical fallacies (for example the one she tweeted was ad hominem). Not only that, but she has admitted to make sock puppet accounts where she pretends to be a supporter of GamerGate and then posts bullshit just to make people on the other side seem bad. This was before she started tweeting those memes by the way (check the date).

She tries to pretend like she was impartial and then got caught in the cross fire but that's not at all what happened.

it started and ended so fast I didn't even know about it until all the relative posts using the # came up, all I found out about the original is that it had something to do with Intel removing an ad for a sponsor game that feminists didn't like. Now its just another # flying everywhere.

No that's not the origin and that's not what happened.

A certain gaming website posted an article saying that all gamers are misogynists and that the whole culture should die. Their readers got pissed, since the magazine was insulting them so they asked Intel to remove their ad campaign from the website. Intel pulled their ads from the website, probably because Intel wasn't too pleased about the uproar and the fact that the article was basically insulting a big part of Intel's target demographic. Think of it as a car magazine posting an article about how car enthusiasts are racists and that the whole culture should die, and then Ferrari stops funding them through ads.

It originally started with Zoe Quinn who were sleeping with judges to get awards for her crappy "game", trying to shut down an organization trying to help female developers, scamming money from people by saying they were donating to a Game Jam but the money actually went straight into her own PayPal account and also using her network of friends to censor anyone trying to talk about her. This made people go "wait a minute... The gaming press are a bunch of douchebags reporting on whatever fits their own agenda. They only report bad things about people they dislike, and ignore to report on bad things their friends does".

As an example, have you read any of those really bad things Zoe did? Did you ever hear about 4chan, Reddit and a few other sites raising something like 70,000 dollars to the organization trying to help female developers? None of the big sites reported on it. That's why people say this is about ethics in the gaming press. Because Zoe is a woman we had people like Anita take her side and with that came all the arguments about Anita being a terrible person (which have been going on far longer than GamerGate) and that just added more fuel to the "it's about harassment of women, not gaming journalism".

I don't know what this thread is about

It's about why the gaming industry is still shitty and will remain shitty so we should just play games and be happy.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

How about every fucking female that plays any game online? Don't play stupid like you have never been in a lobby with a girl and didn't hear all the guys start harassing her and shit. And how fucking ignorant do you have to be to say females should just hide from it. They can fight for their respect in all aspects of life and any intelligent person should help them.

That's not the point. That's pretty much how it is everywhere.

The point is about female game developers, not female gamers

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

This article is a good explanation of the views on both sides.

I won't say that the anti-GG side isn't full of anger, but I am pro-GG so my opinion may be biased.

Hope it answers your questions.

Next thing they'll disclose the writer might be a communist...

But seriously I don't give a damp I don't even know what a "gamergate" is, if you feel compelled to explain it to me be my guest but honestly I couldn't care less.

This is basically just comedy to my, how some people can get so hung up about something someone on the Internet said I will never understand.

Oh look, more leftist parrots doing what leftist parrots do.

Get it through your THICK fucking skulls, gamers want gaming to be about video games, take your fucking politically correct bullshit and go ruin some other industry. It's about escaping reality and forgetting that we live in a universe that makes less sense than this

4BctM.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This article is a good explanation of the views on both sides.

I won't say that the anti-GG side isn't full of anger, but I am pro-GG so my opinion may be biased.

Hope it answers your questions.

Link is a pretty good read... However both sides seem to represent moderately extreme sides of the two "factions"...

There might be some hope for this...

Link is a pretty good read... However both sides seem to represent moderately extreme sides of the two "factions"...

There might be some hope for this...

In your opinion, what are less extreme examples from both sides? I'm not trying to start an argument. You seem to be neutral, and I am genuinely interested in your view.

In your opinion, what are less extreme examples from both sides? I'm not trying to start an argument. You seem to be neutral, and I am genuinely interested in your view.

I can't quite describe "less extreme examples"... Maybe people who do not view each other with misconceptions and stereotypes and attempt to at least listen to one another without completely cherry picking or disregarding legitimate arguments?

From what I was able to get from what you linked, it seems that the representation of both sides make it seem that they are passive-agressive towards one another... There's this obvious air of hostility between the two sides, which, at this point, has very little chance of receding...

I'm not completely neutral though... I want to see an ethical practice of journalism wherever applicable... It makes things fairer for all, and helps stop the spread of hatred among and between multiple groups of people and ideologies... I am also against anything that tries to stifle creative expression in pretty much all forms of media...

I try to view this without the smokescreen of the "pop culture feminism" issue that seems to have barged its way into this debacle... No, not because I think that the stuff regarding women in gaming is a non-issue, but because it is irrelevant to the whole GamerGate spiel... This whole GamerGate thing is about the game journalists, their practice, and their audience... If we look back to the start of this whole thing... The Zoe Post (or whatever it's spelled) which details, in summary, very questionable relationships outside of professional bounds... Gamers, the audience of these 'journalists', started to question their integrity... With which, the 'journalists' retaliated by labelling their audience as 'misogynists'... This is what I meant about the "smokescreen of pop culture feminism" which turned this mess of a situation to almost absolute chaos...

But this is just a hermit's view on things...