[UPDATE] Looking for a new pair of headphones. $400-600 USD

Advent

I've been looking into the Mad Dog Pro and Alpha Dog headphones made by Mr Speakers as well as a few others. I plan on getting a Magni 2 & Modi 2 stack from Schiit as well.

I'm getting bored with my Sennheiser HD280 Pro, ATH M50s and Beredynamic DT 770 Pros (80 OHM).

I mainly listen to electronic music, Stuff like down tempo, dnb, electro, synthwave, nu-jazz, trip hop, instrumentals etc.   I'm not using a DAC/AMP atm, I'm using the onboard from my Rampage IV Gene.

I'm looking for something new. Something with more bass but doesn't overtake everything else.

Suggestions? Budget is ~$400-600.00

No open backed designs please, my room is noisy xD

Example Tracks:

http://youtu.be/r-T51qRXmz8 <- She Melts - Com Truise

<- Slow Peels - Com Truise
http://youtu.be/ODHmRpc_l90 <- Girl - Giraffage
<- It's A Love Thing (Instrumental) - Peter Rock
<- Kumomi - Nujabes

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

NAD HP50's? 

+Neutral, +Isolating, +Comfortable, +No need for amplification, -Slightly warm sound.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

NAD HP50's? 

+Neutral, +Isolating, +Comfortable, +No need for amplification, -Slightly warm sound.

Never even seen that brand before.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

The AKG Q701 is very quick, and has a slightly emphasized yet tamed bass

a pair of sub woofers and a head band to hang both of them to your head should work and the bass is powerful too :)

ok joking aside.

I heard some sony xb have good bass but I don't have any personal experience with them except the 2nd cheapest one (forgot which) but since it's cheap so yeah bass is muddy not clear mids and stuff.

well the Beyerdynamic DT990 one is pretty good has bass but doesn't over take the others although it's a open back one and kinda hefty in price tag and probably need a dac/amp.

scratch the dt990 didn't see the budget sorry about that.

well for one I'm not a bass head guy and so far these are the cans that I have right now that are kinda bassy. I mean for me they are kinda too much but maybe it's different for you.

V-Moda M100 and Crossfade LP's

Beyerdynamioc DT770 250ohm (well you got the 80ohm one and I heard that it's more bassy or so then scratch this).

Beyerdynamic Custome one Pro

Denon AHD600 (should have a good deal at amazon right now).

edit: well not sure if you have experienced the ie80's but they are wonderful :) It's my daily driver outside the house.

so far these are the ones which are around 300 bucks which I have first ear experience with.

mids and highs are pretty good but for me bass is kinda a lot (just a side note even the ath m50/m50x for me is already high bass).

Live your life like a dream.

HP50 is a good one - I was going to suggest a used HD650, but the NAD sounds similar if you're going for closed sets only.

• 3 months later...

I've been looking into the Mad Dog Pro and Alpha Dog headphones made by Mr Speakers as well as a few others. I plan on getting a Magni 2 & Modi 2 stack from Schiit as well. My updated budget is $400-600 USD. Haven't found a pair of headphones I like yet. So I'm bumping this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, no open backed designs as my room is a bit noisy from the mini fridge, computer, ceiling fan etc.

PSU

I've been looking into the Mad Dog Pro and Alpha Dog headphones made by Mr Speakers as well as a few others. I plan on getting a Magni 2 & Modi 2 stack from Schiit as well. My updated budget is $400-600 USD. Haven't found a pair of headphones I like yet. So I'm bumping this.

Would you be willing to spend less?  Check out the Phillips Fidelio X2, I hear good things.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Would you be willing to spend less?  Check out the Phillips Fidelio X2, I hear good things.

I forgot to update, no open back headphones. My computer/mini fridge/ceiling fan/ac unit are a bit noisy xD.

PSU

Modded T50RPs, srh1540 and denon D2K are your options i guess.

The momentum 2.0 should also be comfortable enough for home use now

If you're listening to classical and electronic I'd split your budget and get one can for each.

Unless you want everything to sound like hell.

Modded T50RPs, srh1540 and denon D2K are your options i guess.

The momentum 2.0 should also be comfortable enough for home use now

The Mad Dog Pro and Alpha Dogs are modded T50RP platform by Mr. Speaker, which is what I am looking at getting.

I've heard mixed reviews on hte SRH1540 for EDM, and I've also heard that the Denon D2K are not "fast" enough to really do EDM well.

PSU

If you're listening to classical and electronic I'd split your budget and get one can for each.

Unless you want everything to sound like hell.

I have my other cans for the classical. I mainly listen to EDM (examples in 1st post), so that's what these cans are for.

PSU

I have my other cans for the classical. I mainly listen to EDM, so that's what these cans are for.

That's fine, then.

I've also heard that the Denon D2K are not "fast" enough to really do EDM well.

What does fast mean.

What does fast mean.

How fast the driver reacts to input (how fast the driver comes to rest after signal stop). Which is why certain headphones are better at some genres than others. Fast tends to sound sharper and more revealing of minute details in the signal, and slow sounds muddy and longer decay. At least this is how I would define it. It's kind of a loose term to be honest.

PSU

Don't get denons since they have almost no isolation. There aren't too many good closed headphones in that price range but shure 1540s come to mind. I think someone mentioned that already. Pandora Hope VI would be good to but those are pricey.

Don't get denons since they have almost no isolation. There aren't too many good closed headphones in that price range but shure 1540s come to mind. I think someone mentioned that already.

So you wouldn't recommend any of the headphones you have? Most of them are $400 or less or over $400, so your last statement kind of puzzles me. Do you not think your headphones are good?

PSU

So you wouldn't recommend any of the headphones you have? Most of them are $400 or less or over $400, so your last statement kind of puzzles me. Do you not think your headphones are good?

Well you said 400 to 600 and most of mine are under or over that. Modded fostex are good but I don't recommend Mr speaker as those are overpriced. They also do not isolate as good as traditional closed headphones. Not a bad choice though. The Pandora Hope VI is amazing but is $680 new so over your budget. The rest that I own are open headphones besides the Shure 1540 which I have mentioned already.

Mr speaker as those are overpriced.

The Pandora Hope VI is amazing but is $680 new so over your budget.

Shure 1540 which I have mentioned already.

So you think they are overpriced too huh? I had a feeling, but head-fi recommended them so I at least considered them. As tot he P7, yeah looks nice, but I wear glasses and I think the extra weight might create hotspots. As to the Shure 1540's I'm on the fence, would be great to be able to demo them, but sadly there are like no high end audio stores near me to do so.

PSU

So you think they are overpriced too huh? I had a feeling, but head-fi recommended them so I at least considered them. As tot he P7, yeah looks nice, but I wear glasses and I think the extra weight might create hotspots. As to the Shure 1540's I'm on the fence, would be great to be able to demo them, but sadly there are like no high end audio stores near me to do so.

Mayflower electronics has some good models for a bit cheaper but the cheapest thing to do would be to buy mayflower's kit and mod them yourself. It'll run you around $170-200 depending on what pads you get.

So you think they are overpriced too huh? I had a feeling, but head-fi recommended them so I at least considered them.

Head-fi recommends a lot of things.

yiss, mayflower modded T50RP's are cheaper than Mr. Speakers's, but just as good if you don't need fancy & pricey customizations.

Also, probs for necro'ing your thread properly, by bumping, which was also done properly by not merely saying "bump." GG buddy.

post-2468-0-34540700-1410805427.jpg

post-2468-0-34540700-1410805427.jpg

Goldring DR50 is fast headphone in my experience and a little bit bright too.

You didn't read the OP, did you. Be honest.

I've also been considering a pair of ATH-W1000X headphones. Thoughts?

At the moment its a toss up between Mad Dog, ATHW1000X, and Shure 1540.

PSU