[UPDATE] Looking for a new pair of headphones. $400-600 USD

Advent

I've also been considering a pair of ATH-W1000X headphones. Thoughts?

At the moment its a toss up between Mad Dog, ATHW1000X, and Shure 1540.

Just fyi, if you didn't know the W1000x has been replaced with the W1000Z.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Just fyi, if you didn't know the W1000x has been replaced with the W1000Z.

I'm aware, it's also more expensive @ $699.99 vs the X series which is $448.48+ depending where I get it shipped from Japan.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

I've also been considering a pair of ATH-W1000X headphones. Thoughts?

At the moment its a toss up between Mad Dog, ATHW1000X, and Shure 1540.

Well, for one, the 1000X is nothing like the other two with it's bass roll off. Great for classical type stuff  - I've recently decided I want another ATH for this purpose, but wouldn't want it to be my daily driver. Mad Dog is flat-ish leaning towards bassy warmth, and 1540 has got dat bass doe while maintaining clear mids and analytical treble. I'll simply say you wont easily find a used 1540 for sale.

Well, for one, the 1000X is nothing like the other two with it's bass roll off. Great for classical type stuff  - I've recently decided I want another ATH for this purpose, but wouldn't want it to be my daily driver. Mad Dog is flat-ish leaning towards bassy warmth, and 1540 has got dat bass doe while maintaining clear mids and analytical treble. I'll simply say you wont easily find a used 1540 for sale.

COUGH COUGH

? It's not? If you find a lower price I'll match it. 

:D Nah mang, it's an ongoing joke some of us have about some of your prices. Used 1540's are never found cheap, which just proves how good they are.

:D Nah mang, it's an ongoing joke some of us have about some of your prices. Used 1540's are never found cheap, which just proves how good they are.

Oh lol. I was going to say. I try not to rip anyone off. If anyone wants to know how I price things out it's I list it on Amazon first undercutting the lowest price and whatever I would get after subtracting Amazon fees, that's how much I list it for on here. 

Oh lol. I was going to say. I try not to rip anyone off. If anyone wants to know how I price things out it's I list it on Amazon first undercutting the lowest price and whatever I would get after subtracting Amazon fees, that's how much I list it for on here. 

I understand, it's just not the garage sale prices we sort of expect from a backwater site like LTT.

Surprisingly I never really liked the W1000X and W1000Z for classical, or anything with an orchestra. I had a few friends who loved theirs for all things orchestral, but I guess I just don't like closed cans. I ended up selling the ATHs and went back to my HD600. 

Surprisingly I never really liked the W1000X and W1000Z for classical, or anything with an orchestra. I had a few friends who loved theirs for all things orchestral, but I guess I just don't like closed cans. I ended up selling the ATHs and went back to my HD600. 

I don't know why Audio Technica keeps making wooden cans lol.  The W10VTG (they were so arrogant they named it Vintage, hah!) flopped like a fish out of water, and that was when they had a competitor in Sony, so they somehow came to the conclusion of..."so Sony stopped making prohibitively expensive wooden headphones, that means we should keep making them! Brilliant idea!"

On another note, I don't really like the W series, the soundstage is surprisingly wide, too wide, I swear it's wider than their open back headphones.  Take Audio Technica's affinity for stringed instruments and amplify it x9000, that's their W headphones in a nutshell.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Shure 1540? i like it a lot tho it doesnt fit my head... be careful

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Shure 1540? i like it a lot tho it doesnt fit my head... be careful

You got a big head? :P

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless