Whats the point of limiting youre fps ?

keycolony

Im not sure but i hope my post is right in this forum i really searched where to post but ...

So my question is about the fps limit you can set in games whats the point of limiting them i have an gtx 970 and i easily reach fps past the 80 i also have an 60hz monitor so my fps past the 60 are mainly useless but whats the point of limiting them to 60 wehre i easilly could reach more ?

For some games, not all it is better to limit the FPS so that the GPU won't try and go higher. Thus leaving more resources to the GPU so it can maintain the FPS much better.

EDIT:

You're - You are doing something.

Your - Is that your vehicle?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Some games will just go all out and try getting as high of FPS as possible even if that means your GPU is running at 100% load, limiting the framerate will help reduce this.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It could be due to other reasons such a screen tearing.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Also to maintain heat, noise and power down. If all you need is 60 why would you let your GPU work its ass off pumping 300 fps that are not necessary.

It is mainly done to eliminate frame tearing, if frames are rendered too fast it can result in an incomplete frame being displayed on screen, while during a single refresh of the screen, the PC can render more than one frame.

To put it simply it is done so you wont see 1.5 frames every now and then.

An additional reason is to limit frame-rate fluctuation. Even if you are running a 60Hz monitor you might be able to notice a drop in FPS that goes from 85 FPS to 60 FPS for an example. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

You won't see more than 60 if you have a 60Hz monitor, and if you do then you'll only see less than a full frame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing#mediaviewer/File:Tearing_(simulated).jpg
That will happen if you don't limit to 60. Some games like Skyrim will have bugs if they have too high of a framerate, Skyrim being one of the games where physics bugs occur if you go over about 90FPS. Some games limit FPS to keep your GPU from running too hard for no reason.

To avoid tearing,or to not use so much GPU horsepower.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Im not sure but i hope my post is right in this forum i really searched where to post but ...

So my question is about the fps limit you can set in games whats the point of limiting them i have an gtx 970 and i easily reach fps past the 80 i also have an 60hz monitor so my fps past the 60 are mainly useless but whats the point of limiting them to 60 wehre i easilly could reach more ?

60hz is the refresh rate of the monitor, basically the rate at which your monitor can display images. you should not confuse refresh rate with frame rate because they are not the same thing. you would want to limit your frame rate to reduce stress on your gpu.

Prevent tearing. Less work for the GPU(some GPU's will have coil whine at high FPS's).

I think there are many reasons why some people might want to limit thier FPS, those will mostly depend on the hardware and type of game they are trying to run. Some people might do it to prevent/reduce screen tearing, stuttering in an effort to make the game play smoother, whilst others might limit their FPS in order to reduce coil whine on certain cards.

Some games like Skyrim and Need for Speed: Rivals are meant to run at a certain framerate. Skyrim starts getting weird glitches if you don't use vsync or a hard cap at 60fps, and the NFS game which was coded for 30fps will actually double the in game speed if you run at 60, and will further increase game speed the higher above that you go.

You won't see more than 60 if you have a 60Hz monitor, and if you do then you'll only see less than a full frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing#mediaviewer/File:Tearing_(simulated).jpg

That will happen if you don't limit to 60. Some games like Skyrim will have bugs if they have too high of a framerate, Skyrim being one of the games where physics bugs occur if you go over about 90FPS. Some games limit FPS to keep your GPU from running too hard for no reason.

This is true, higher fps than your refresh rate will give you no visual difference. However, it will provide you with less input lag. Higher framerate = less input lag basically...

But people limit frame rates because as previously stated, it doesn't really make a visual difference so unless you're playing CS:GO as a professional it doesn't matter if you don't have over 10 million fps. I limit mine to 120fps @ 120hz if I can on any game, I refuse to use v-sync unless there is a serious image tearing issue and yes also the heat and noise levels are less if you don't use 100% of your GPU.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

First time I started PC gaming and didn't use V-sync my GPU went all the way up to 80°c, but yeah it's useful to set the framerate to your monitor's refresh rate or you'll waste extra frames you'll never see and GPU energy.

I game on a 1920x1080 60 hz monitor and in all honestly i don't think my eyes are well trained enough to pick the difference between 60 FPS and 200 FPS, what difference i do notice certainly isn't worth having my GPU+CPU running hotter than they need to consuming more power and running higher temps. I like my system staying nice and quiet/cool so i always cap my frames. 

I only use a limiter in specific games where my GPU gets really hot... Games like Dead Space, for example, get the temperature on my GPU to about 93 Celsius because it's rendering at 220fps on max details. I've had my PC shut down because of the temperature... I don't need my framerate to be that high, so I limit it to 90fps and the temperature goes down by about 20 degrees :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

i also have an 60hz monitor so my fps past the 60 are mainly useless but whats the point of limiting them to 60 wehre i easilly could reach more ?

You answered your own question. :P What would be the point of allowing your system to render higher framerates when your monitor can't refresh the image fast enough to show them to you? You're just wasting electricity and generating heat and getting only tearing in return.

The main reason is screen tearing:

Tearing2.pngIt's also better for your GPU because it doesn't need to go on max for rendering fps that you can't see.

RTX2070OC