Asus knocked off the list of top 5 PC manufacturers in the world, by Apple

Aniallation

My point is that this is like Apple won the special olympics.

Are you suggesting Asus came second to a disabled person in a disabled race?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Are you suggesting Asus came second to a disabled person in a disabled race?

I'm suggesting Asus didn't beat Apple in being "special."

You edited in the non-overpriced part. The comment on the graphics card makes no sense in the context of the thread or the article.

So why did you mention it? Then suddenly shift the goal posts to monitors?

Also in what way is the article and rankings like the special olympics?

I'm pretty sure the edit happened well before your reply.

Why monitors? Think harder. The "goal post" was always something PC-related that isn't prebuilt computer, which included gpu and monitor.

You missed the point entirely.

Special olymics -> prebuilt. (nothing that would matter to enthusiast)

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I'm suggesting Asus didn't beat Apple in being "special."

That's because they didn't beat apple at all. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh wait what?

I can at least get not-overpriced dell, lenovo, acer, and hp monitor.

Apple only replaced ASUS.

Which highend laptop hardware are you referring to?

3.9 GHz mobile I7. I believe it's one of the HD 4600/5000 chips though. Apple has yet to use Iris in its iMacs, but they haven't had a refresh in forever.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3.9 GHz mobile I7. I believe it's one of the HD 4600/5000 chips though. Apple has yet to use Iris in its iMacs, but they haven't had a refresh in forever.

Indeed only one of them uses a notebook processor. Most of them use -S and -R and normal class desktop chips. -R means Iris graphics. They DO use Iris in iMacs.

Why isn't MSI up there? I love MSI, their products are amazing.

I will be getting a MSI Twin Frozr R9 290X soon enough :) 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Asus is still better than any of the others...

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

Not all. I wont deny they make good products, just not worth the money for the compatability and closed ecosystem

Are you talking about NVIDIA?

I had to work on a Dell once. This was during their "USB is the future!" and removale of all PS/2 ports on their products. It was designed for windows vista, so of course, drivers were a mess.

To re-install windows I need access to the keyboard during POST. However, the keyboard would not become active until after POST. This means no booting from DVDROM/USB and no access to BIOS to change the settings.

a complete brick on the shelves (no one wants Vista)

So when I hear/read "Dell" and "Fantastic" in the same sentance I cringe :/

Common Fault when you use Dell Keyboards with an inline capacitor, which they all were at that time, the work around was find one without the capacitor and it'd work  first go. :P

got a fewof those computers still at work. hate working on them :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Indeed only one of them uses a notebook processor. Most of them use -S and -R and normal class desktop chips. -R means Iris graphics. They DO use Iris in iMacs.

All of them are laptop processors. We haven't seen desktop chips in iMacs since the predecessor to Sandy Bridge if memory serves.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

" ASUS will be crying itself to sleep tonight at the news that Apple has taken its place as the fifth-largest PC manufacturer in the world. "

Oh god..

All of them are laptop processors. We haven't seen desktop chips in iMacs since the predecessor to Sandy Bridge if memory serves.

The 21.5" iMacs have laptop CPUs, including one of the ULV options on the cheapest, the 27" have desktop i5s and i7s, the i7-4770 and the i5-some number I can't remember, 3.5/3.4GHz base

" ASUS will be crying itself to sleep tonight at the news that Apple has taken its place as the fifth-largest PC manufacturer in the world. "

Oh god..

Honestly...the only things bad about MacBooks are the following:

Only 2 USB ports

No 17" size availability (I imagine we'll see it when 4K comes down in price and the top Broadwell-HQ SKUs show up (2 TFlops of GPU performance))

No full-size arrow keys

No option for num pad 

No option for graphics cards higher than nvidia x50m

Overall cost.

Everything else about them is as good and many times better than what ASUS delivers on laptops. My MBPr is larger, lighter, and has 5x the resolution of my old Dell Latitude. It has one of the best mobile CPUs (I7 4950HQ). It seamlessly switches between the Nvidia card and Iris Pro, saving a lot of power when possible. It has the best laptop speakers out there, and I've tested a lot of them as an audiophile and choir singer.

MacBooks are great laptops. They just aren't aimed at gaming.

The 21.5" iMacs have laptop CPUs, including one of the ULV options on the cheapest, the 27" have desktop i5s and i7s, the i7-4770 and the i5-some number I can't remember, 3.5/3.4GHz base

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME089LL/A&step=config

Both of these are mobile chips.

The I7 is the 4790T.

The I5 is the 4670S.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME089LL/A&step=config

Both of these are mobile chips.

The I7 is the 4790T.

The I5 is the 4670S.

Those are desktop parts anyway, they are LGA1150, but it is not the 4790T as that has a base 2.7GHz, not 3.5 as indicated by the specs. Same goes for the i5, it can't be the one you indicated as the base clocks don't match.

They are the i7-4770 and the i5-4670.

Look here at the 27" 's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)#Slim_Unibody_iMac

Those are desktop parts anyway, they are LGA1150, but it is not the 4790T as that has a base 2.7GHz, not 3.5 as indicated by the specs. Same goes for the i5, it can't be the one you indicated as the base clocks don't match.

They are the i7-4770 and the i5-4670.

Look here at the 27" 's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)#Slim_Unibody_iMac

1) I screwed up the filters on ark.intel

2) That is really odd, especially given the mobile CPUs are more powerful anyway.

Now I really question why an iMac costs so much.

1) I screwed up the filters on ark.intel

2) That is really odd, especially given the mobile CPUs are more powerful anyway.

Now I really question why an iMac costs so much.

That's alright, I do too, and I would not buy one (I did link the Australian store which inflates prices by about 15% versus the US one). I still can't believe they try and charge $1000 for a 2560x1440 display, especially one with an 11ms G-T-G time. 

Asus will probably reclaim it after HP splits

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

That's alright, I do too, and I would not buy one (I did link the Australian store which inflates prices by about 15% versus the US one). I still can't believe they try and charge $1000 for a 2560x1440 display, especially one with an 11ms G-T-G time. 

Do you mean the TB displays?

Do you mean the TB displays?

Yeah, the 27" one. It's a display that's over 3 years old and still commands a >$1000 tag, where a PB278Q costs $579. It's not even a 16:10 panel. 

It's simply not the case. Look at the Wikipedia article. They run -S, -R, and normal desktop processors.

It's simply not the case. Look at the Wikipedia article. They run -S, -R, and normal desktop processors.

Yeah, found out that trend stopped at Ivy Bridge. It used to be the case though.

Yeah, found out that trend stopped at Ivy Bridge. It used to be the case though.

No problem.

I'd like to see what happens next. Maybe desktop GPUs in the iMac?

Asus will probably reclaim it after HP splits

can't happen,  because HP currently have more than double the market share of 4th position (acer). Worse case scenario is that nothing changes and the smaller split from HP is out of the top five, or the split leaves HP with two top 5 places pushing both Apple and Asus out of the top 5.

can't happen,  because HP currently have more than double the market share of 4th position (acer). Worse case scenario is that nothing changes and the smaller split from HP is out of the top five, or the split leaves HP with two top 5 places pushing both Apple and Asus out of the top 5.

Apple is definitely not getting pushed out. If anything they'll go up. Their Mac sales have been increasing recently.