My dad just said beats are good headphones *FACEPALM*

My dad (who is an audiophile and has been for decades, and also is a music promoter for a living and was also in a band) just said to me that beats headphones were good, despite being a sworn senhiser customer for years. I don't really know what to say. Sure I was guilty of liking razer headphones for a while, but I realized the error of my ways as soon as I tried my friend's pair. But that was different. I'm very new to the audio scene and I liked the look of the striking green and black design. However, my dad is part of the music industry and loves everything about it so surely he should know better? Anyway, this was really just one of those "What has the world come to" kind of posts, so sorry if you came here looking for an interesting and thought provoking topic :P

Thanks

-Billy 

so-you-have-beats-by-dre.jpg

I think it is just his personal taste. For my part, tried them, took them off, didn't like them. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I mean.. they're not horrible they're just overhyped and ''overpriced'' imo

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Beats headphones aren't bad they're just way overpriced.

For stuff like rap they're great. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Even an experienced audiophile said that the new solo 2s were pretty decent

Life.exe is missing

Well they are probably not bad.. They are just not good for the price IMHO

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't mind beats, they're not too bad, but are ridiculously overpriced for the quality. They're a little too bass heavy for me, but I'll use them if I have to.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

As others said, being overpriced doesn't make them bad... just make them overpriced. I think they're ugly and too small for my ears so I'd never buy one.

"Taste is like an ass, everyone has their own."

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

My dad (who is an audiophile and has been for decades, and also is a music promoter for a living and was also in a band) just said to me that beats headphones were good, ...

It seems like some of the better models are quite decent, BUT they are bit overpriced. (i.e. you pay for the marketing)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

--snip--

Thanks

-Billy 

happens to me all the time

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Holy shit.

Okay, Beats (now anyways) are not as bad as they used to be, so subjectively they can be safely considered good. Not good for the price, but they're good.

This belongs in off-topic....

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Have they fixed the overpowering bass? I listened to a demo pair of beats recently (not sure what model) but the bass was just booming. Everything else sounded terrible over it. Other than that (not including price), beats are pretty good. They look good, feel comfortable and have good build quality. That bass though was just way too much.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Overpriced = bad. Don't know what people are talking about when they say overpriced but not bad. It makes no sense considering how you tell a product is bad is comparing it to other options that cost the same.

The new Studio (I think, the one that got built-in DSP on it), actually got a pair of decent drivers (speakers). I could make out that they got good treble and clarity. Too bad the built-in DSP destroys it with overwhelming basses and virtually low mids. 

OP's story got me thinking. My dad was a singer in a band when he was young, can play numerous music instruments, and a karaoke mania (still is). But when talking about headphones or earphones, the thing he care most is, 'how much bass it got?'. It got me thinking, could it possibly that by aging, our old mans' hearing becomes less sensitive to mids and highs, thus they're attracted more to basses? Or is it the other way around, more sensitive to mids and highs, so they're constantly looking for more basses to balance the sound? I don't really know....

your old man must be getting old and loosing his hearing as we all do with age.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Lol at all the peeps sayin "well they're not bad"

News flash, they ARE bad. Very bad. Only the new Solo2 is "not bad" but it's still plastiky and hard to recommend.

Once you keep getting used to terrible things, a slight improvement can make it look so much better, when in reality it's just a mind trick. Like if you're forced to eat...dirt, and then it improves to stale bread, you'll think that it's food sent from the heavens and it'll be so much better. 

Same with the Solo 2. 

I'll stick with my "Recommended by Linus" Sennheiser IE80's. I can throw them around, and they sound brilliant. 

My build: tis be ordered

Honestly who cares.... if people want to buy something and like it then so be it, who is anyone to judge.....

Everyone is to judge. Because he's spreading wrong information and that's not good. 

If Beats were to reduce their prices by 1/2, they would be okay.

Also, post stories such as this one in the experiences with non techies thread. (?)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

NannerBeans, on 10 Oct 2014 - 4:29 PM, said:

Everyone is to judge. Because he's spreading wrong information and that's not good. 

Spreading wrong info? He just expressed his personal opinion lol...

Spreading wrong info? He just expressed his personal opinion lol...

And his opinion is clearly wrong. If someone that doesn't know anything about audio believes him then misinformation is spread and we should all care about that.