amd fx 4350 ok for budget gaming build?

I have a friend who is building a budget pc gaming build for under 600(US) and decided to go with an amd fx 4350 with an asus m5a78l plus mobo he can get for dirt cheap and pair it with a sapphire tri x r9 290 gpu that's on sale and is about 40 dollars cheaper than a gtx 970. His goal is playing Bf4 @1080p on ultra settings with consistent 60 plus fps. He doesn't plan on OCing the cpu or GPU.

Im wondering if the fx 4350 would be a bottleneck, and if it is somewhat, would Mantle help to make up for it in bf4? Also, is that a decent enough mobo for a budget gaming build if he doesn't plan on OC'ing? Thanks for any input, I don't know much about AMD cpus. He figured hed go cheap on the CPU so he could splurge a little on the GPU, which is more important for gaming.

His case is going to be a corsair 200r.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

ofc! Is more than perfect. But I hope he does have enough power for tha card on his ps.

Cry Me A River B)

i think it would bottleneck

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

ofc! Is more than perfect. But I hope he does have enough power for tha card on his ps.

Its far from perfect 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

have you already bought the cpu??

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

R9 290 + FX 4350.....i don't see that as a good gaming build mainly because the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. Your not gonna get the full potential of that GPU because your CPU is holding you back.

More like the other way around.

Fine for BF, but stuff like ArmA will suffer, I did rather go for an FX-6300 and a 280x/285/280

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

R9 290 & fx 4350 is a terrible combination. That cpu gonna bottleneck all games badly. And by the way, amd system isn't budget at all. He should stick with i5 if he doesn't want bottleneck. If his finances doesn't allow it, then he should stick with i3, which is still far better than any AMD cpu.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Its far from perfect 

R9 290 + FX 4350.....i don't see that as a good gaming build mainly because the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. Your not gonna get the full potential of that GPU because your CPU is holding you back.

More like the other way around.

R9 290 & fx 4350 is a terrible combination. That cpu gonna bottleneck all games badly. And by the way, amd system isn't budget at all. He should stick with i5 if he doesn't want bottleneck. If his finances doesn't allow it, then he should stick with i3, which is still far better than any AMD cpu.

Much fan boys detected. The fx 4350 is at least 5% better than Athlon x750k here tested with gtx 780

Cry Me A River B)

Much fan boys detected. The fx 4350 is at least 5% better than Athlon x750k here tested with gtx 780

WOW. A R9 290 will start to bottleneck with a FX 6300, what makes you think about putting a 4350 instead 6300 is gonna happen? PS I'm not a fanboy, that guy with a Intel profile pic is(i presume) a intel fanboy because he always recommends a Intel cpu and one time, he said said that a 760 will bottleneck with a 8320. I got info, like this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/224186-my-first-desktop-build/#entry3070760

Much fan boys detected. 

Dude dont start that. It will bottleneck 

|| MAELSTROM ||

WOW, giving out advice that isn't true. A R9 290 will start to bottleneck with a FX 6300, what makes you think about putting a 4350 instead 6300 is gonna happen? 

cuz i've seen with my own eyes! O.o .. The fx 6300 bottlenecks pretty much everything, and i don't know why, perhaps lack of power. when the fx 6350 is op.

Cry Me A River B)

Dude dont start that. It will bottleneck 

It won't, if it does, I my self gonna buy him a fx 8350 or i5 k.

Cry Me A River B)

I was thinking the same that it will have no problem, but who knows..

cuz i've seen with my own eyes! O.o .. The fx 6300 bottlenecks pretty much everything, and i don't know why, perhaps lack of power. when the fx 6350 is op.

Have you got source other than seeing it with your own eyes? A R9 280X will be fine with a 6300. R9 290 is the point where it starts to become a bottleneck with a 6300. 

See look at this.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/152100-intel-vs-amd/page-5#entry2040365

Have you got source other than seeing it with your own eyes? A R9 280X will be fine with a 6300. R9 290 is the point where it starts to become a bottleneck with a 6300. 

See look at this.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/152100-intel-vs-amd/page-5#entry2040365

You start to sound like a christian. I say that it will not bottleneck if you oc it.

Cry Me A River B)

I have a friend who is building a budget pc gaming build for under 600(US) and decided to go with an amd fx 4350 with an asus m5a78l plus mobo he can get for dirt cheap and pair it with a sapphire tri x r9 290 gpu that's on sale and is about 40 dollars cheaper than a gtx 970. His goal is playing Bf4 @1080p on ultra settings with consistent 60 plus fps. He doesn't plan on OCing the cpu or GPU.

Im wondering if the fx 4350 would be a bottleneck, and if it is somewhat, would Mantle help to make up for it in bf4? Also, is that a decent enough mobo for a budget gaming build if he doesn't plan on OC'ing? Thanks for any input, I don't know much about AMD cpus. He figured hed go cheap on the CPU so he could splurge a little on the GPU, which is more important for gaming.

His case is going to be a corsair 200r.

Well if you're planing not to oc, then just a fx 8350 would do for you or any i5k i7nk

Cry Me A River B)

You start to sound like a christian. I say that it will not bottleneck if you oc it.

How? Maybe you shouldn't judge others.

Heres what you should do:

Buy a Pentium G3258 + Z97 Motherboard.  Should be about $100, there are deals for them all the time at Microcenter(in-store), Newegg, Frys, Tigerdirect, and NCIX.

Overclock the Pentium as high as it will go using the stock cooler.

When your friend finally has enough money, have him buy an i5.

Any other alternative is going to either bottleneck, or steer you into a dead end.  With the pentium + Z97, you get a much more modern CPU, it is a beast once overclocked, it wont bottleneck, and it gives you an upgrade path.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The i5 would blow out his budget. You are talking about adding another 150-200 to his build because of the more expensive mobo that goes with it. An fx 6300 would cost him the same but he liked the 4350 because of the higher clock speed, would the 6300 be better? He might be able to fit an fx 8350 into his budget as its like 60 dollars more, would that be a substantial improvement?

Also, whether its bottlenecking or not, would a 4350 plus a 290 still achieve 60 fps @1080p ultra with mantle in bf4, or would the cpu prevent it? The 290 isn't much more than the 280x these days so that's why hes going with the 290.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Okey to end this pointless discussion, I have a FX 6300 with an 280x and no it does not bottleneck at all, I get exact the same benchmark results as all those fancy test sides using x99 i7 test rigs. The FX 6300 is not fast or efficient, but it is still a good option for its value, this man is asking for a budged build and no bottleneck war. 

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

Okey to end this pointless discussion, I have a FX 6300 with an 280x and no it does not bottleneck at all, I get exact the same benchmark results as all those fancy test sides using x99 i7 test rigs. The FX 6300 is not fast or efficient, but it is still a good option for its value, this man is asking for a budged build and no bottleneck war. 

so he needs a budget pc, Does he need a cpu, mobo, ram, storage, power suplly, gpu or less parts?

Cry Me A River B)

keh.gifhaha, you just made me laugh. fx 4350 is a shit cpu as all other amd cpus, bottlenecking even mid-end cards

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

WOW. A R9 290 will start to bottleneck with a FX 6300, what makes you think about putting a 4350 instead 6300 is gonna happen? PS I'm not a fanboy, that guy with a Intel profile pic is(i presume) a intel fanboy because he always recommends a Intel cpu and one time, he said said that a 760 will bottleneck with a 8320. I got info, like this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/224186-my-first-desktop-build/#entry3070760

not only 760, but it bottlnecks even GTX 660ti. here's proof:

As we see here FX-8320 is oc'ed to 4.7GHz paired with GTX 660ti & getting P26673 in 3DMark Vantage.

b4df23e84a77.jpg

Now look at this one: i7 3770 oc'ed to 4.3GHz paired with GTX 660 (note it's GTX 660, even slower than GTX 660ti) & it got P28380 in 3DMark Vantage.

5cb952fcba26.jpg

And no, I'm not a fanboy, I'm just a guy who relies on facts ;)