amd fx 4350 ok for budget gaming build?

@biFanBoy

You have no idea what you are talking about.  Be gone with you.  Some of us are actually trying to help people.

OP:  Your best option is to buy a Pentium G3258 + Z97 motherboard.  Overclock the Pentium, it is not hard, and it doesn't cost anything.  You will then have an upgrade path to an i5 or i7 if you ever want to.  Broadwell is also supported on Z97.

If you were to go AMD FX4, you would severely bottleneck an R9 290, and if you decided to go to an FX8, it would still bottleneck an R9 290, although not as much.  In order to go to FX8, you would have to have a very expensive motherboard that is capable of powering the FX8, as well as aftermarket cooling.  The expensive motherboard and aftermarket cooling are not issues with Intel.

I didn't started all this. lol. And  I do know what am I talking about.. I also suggested the fx8 + asked for the budged so on, eitherway as you mentioned G3258 + Z97 motherboard is a good thing and later on upgrade.

Cry Me A River B)

Rule of thumb:

Don't take advice from a guy running a FX9590 on a mATX AM3 motherboard with 3GB of mismatched RAM.

biFanBoy must take the cake for most obscure build I've ever seen on LTT.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The heck...? You've just shown me 2 videos and 20 graphs showing an Athlon holding back a GPU. You clearly don't understand...

@Faa am I missing something here or am I talking with a brick wall?

It's just one of those guys;

in-one-ear.jpg

Rule of thumb:

Don't take advice from a guy running a FX9590 on a mATX AM3 motherboard with 3GB of mismatched RAM.

biFanBoy must take the cake for most obscure build I've ever seen on LTT.

Hahahahha :P 

Look at his PSU, feels like a C4. 80Amps on the 5V rail, rofl, 5V rail isn't even used anymore. Seems to be dying a lot too; http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=109

JG score of 5.0 >.>

It's just one of those guys;

in-one-ear.jpg

Hahahahha :P

Aye... I don't even feel like continuing. Hopefully others just see him for the misinformative person he is and avoid his 'advice' like the plague.

pentium-g3258-battlefield-4-benchmark-re

Clearly no bottleneck >.> A G3258 won't come close to a 3930K with 4 cores/HT disabled at 4.9GHz. He's just benchmarking singleplayer do you really expect that it loads anything to the CPU?

A 4300 will be a bottleneck for a 290, especially in maps like Metro, but it's not like it's not playable. Anyways OP it doesn't make much sense pairing a 290 with a 4300, you're better off getting a G3258/Z97 board and upgrade the CPU later to a 4690k. Although you could swap the 4300 for a 6300 instead

Right in everything you mean. Besides gl getting AMD on par with Intel in 720p/low settings.

I ran all of the games at low settings 640x480 and even then I was pinning my 7970 which suggests to me that we are a long way from CPUs being a drastic bottleneck in games with some exceptions, MMOs run away with intel and what I did notice is that the intel more consistently had higher minimum frames but the average leveled out and the max frames where about the same. So AMD CPUs are just fine for gaming and will not bottleneck any card(It may bottleneck games but very rarely will it bottleneck a GPU) but Intel shines in the few places AMD fails, So for a more consistent gaming experience go with Intel but if your not ass deep into grinding an mmo then AMD is no better no worse than intel.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Newegg is selling the FX 4300 for 104 while the FX 6300 is 109. I would go with the FX 6300 instead.

It's fine for gaming, but here are the price points of the CPU's I'd get in todays market for gaming:

1) Pentium G3258 $60 (able to use h chipset boards for overclocking, and is so cheap you can buy an h97 or z97 chipset board and upgrade to broadwell in the future if desired)

2) X4 860k (FM2+ boards are cheaper than AM3+, and it's still unlocked so overclock away. Geared more towards all-round performance than the single-core performance of the G3258)

3) FX-6300 (better for current gen games that take advantage of more cores)

4) cheapest current gen i5 (good single core performance like the G3258, but now 4 cores. Not overclockable so doesn't need an aftermarket cooler or expensive MoBo. This is the best budget price point IMO)

5) i5 4690k (best for gaming, but you're paying almost a $70 premium for that unlocked multiplier and z-chipset board, $100+ if you bought a CPU cooler which you should also get. Overclock it or it's a waste of money)

...and then any higher is pretty much overkill. Notice that you're almost always better off with an aftermarket CPU cooler except in the non-k series i5. Also the z97 chipset board or AM3+ with good VRM design for the i5 4690k and FX-6300 will be more expensive boards than the other two. Basically, I'd never consider an FX-4300 or 4350 unless there was a huge sale. The AM3+ board is too expensive for such a cheap CPU that still needs beefy VRM design.

I ran all of the games at low settings 640x480 and even then I was pinning my 7970 which suggests to me that we are a long way from CPUs being a drastic bottleneck in games with some exceptions, MMOs run away with intel and what I did notice is that the intel more consistently had higher minimum frames but the average leveled out and the max frames where about the same. So AMD CPUs are just fine for gaming and will not bottleneck any card(It may bottleneck games but very rarely will it bottleneck a GPU) but Intel shines in the few places AMD fails, So for a more consistent gaming experience go with Intel but if your not ass deep into grinding an mmo then AMD is no better no worse than intel.

You were GPU bound at 480p? Lol. Never seen that happening.

You should go with the fx8350

Another AMD salesguy.. Nobody wants to pay 180$ for something (even at max clock) that performs extremely bad compared to an Intel equivalent of the same price.

What a bullshit I just read... What did you smoke?

640x480? in 2014? lmao...

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

In threads like these, I somehow get the feeling, that about half the people in it don't even really know what "bottlenecking" actually means, but are almost ready to smash other people's head in during the argument, before even making sure they know what they're talking about... How far mankind has evolved from the good old days with clubs and caves... not. :huh:

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

You should go with the fx8350

AM3+ is on it's last legs(IMO), it would be better to wait for AMD to release a new socket for a new FX CPU.

In threads like these, I somehow get the feeling, that about half the people in it don't even really know what "bottlenecking" actually means, but are almost ready to smash other people's head in during the argument, before even making sure they know what they're talking about... How far mankind has evolved from the good old days with clubs and caves... not. :huh:

what's your definition of bottleneck? out of curiosity :)

What a bullshit I just read... What did you smoke?

640x480? in 2014? lmao...

Yeah, it looked like a PS2 game.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

what's your definition of bottleneck? out of curiosity :)

Just quick and dirty example, since I've got neither time nor interest to make that sentence into a bullet proof scientific thesis: :P

E.g. when a game (with certain settings) could actually utilize 100% of a given GPU, but that GPU cannot actually reach that performance, because the CPU cannot provide the necessary data in time - that's when the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. It does not mean that it's unplayable (maybe you won't pesonally even notice), just that the GPU is held back from its possible top performance.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

What is going on here?!

If this guy likes the AMD FX-4350, my personal GPU recommendation would be at least a R7 260X or a R9 270X, which makes more sense than going all out and buying a huge R9 290.

kompooterz.

You were GPU bound at 480p? Lol. Never seen that happening.

Another AMD salesguy.. Nobody wants to pay 180$ for something (even at max clock) that performs extremely bad compared to an Intel equivalent of the same price.

well if he was talking about getting a intel i would of said something different

and so what if i like amd

Much fan boys detected. The fx 4350 is at least 5% better than Athlon x750k here tested with gtx 780

That video is so horrible, yet it keeps getting relinked much like that terrible TekSyndicate 3770K vs 8350 video. You're going to distinguish CPU performance on 1080p maxed settings paired on a budget card like a HD7770? This is a very poor interpretation of data, because you're not looking at the given variables. You shouldn't be relinking debunked video's either, especially if they aren't even remotely related to the issue at hands.

FX-4350 will heaviliy bottleneck a 290 on a BF4 multiplayer server. Much like a i5-750 would, which is comparable. 4350 is good for about 40ish fps average on 1080p. 290x 70-100fps depending on settings.

Just quick and dirty example, since I've got neither time nor interest to make that sentence into a bullet proof scientific thesis: :P

E.g. when a game (with certain settings) could actually utilize 100% of a given GPU, but that GPU cannot actually reach that performance, because the CPU cannot provide the necessary data in time - that's when the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. It does not mean that it's unplayable (maybe you won't pesonally even notice), just that the GPU is held back from its possible top performance.

So I believe I'm right in my argument by your definition :)

I like your definition too.

What people forget is there is always a bottleneck somewhere.

That video is so horrible, yet it keeps getting relinked much like that terrible TekSyndicate 3770K vs 8350 video. You're going to distinguish CPU performance on 1080p maxed settings paired on a budget card like a HD7770? This is a very poor interpretation of data, because you're not looking at the given variables. You shouldn't be relinking debunked video's either, especially if they aren't even remotely related to the issue at hands.

FX-4350 will heaviliy bottleneck a 290 on a BF4 multiplayer server. Much like a i5-750 would, which is comparable. 4350 is good for about 40ish fps average on 1080p. 290x 70-100fps depending on settings.

We've gone through it don't worry. Let's try return this thread to the topic.

Heres what you should do:

Buy a Pentium G3258 + Z97 Motherboard.  Should be about $100, there are deals for them all the time at Microcenter(in-store), Newegg, Frys, Tigerdirect, and NCIX.

Overclock the Pentium as high as it will go using the stock cooler.

When your friend finally has enough money, have him buy an i5.

Any other alternative is going to either bottleneck, or steer you into a dead end.  With the pentium + Z97, you get a much more modern CPU, it is a beast once overclocked, it wont bottleneck, and it gives you an upgrade path.

this is the correct option. no need to buy an fx-4350 on a dead socket (no future updates), the g3258 when overclocked is more than capable of supporting even a gtx 980.

i love amd, i have an 8320, but 4350 is not the right option here.

that being said, bottlenecking won't be much of an issue anyway because of Mantle making great use of the GPU when a weaker CPU is in the same system.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

for all those trashing the old FX parts Keep in mind that even if there is a slight bottleneck you are still playing game above 60fps at 1080 no problem

for example I have a FX6350+290 and in metro:LL MAX settings (no AA or adv physX) I am getting  68.7avg 57min 84max at 1440p

If I were to play this demanding game at 1080p I would get frame rates that are even higher than this

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750