AMD Climbs 11% in GPU Shipments in Q2, Intel up 4% NVIDIA down 8.3%

BiG StroOnZ

my bet is nvidia will raise over amd in the next quarter, since they released the 970, which is the best value card atm.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

That's good news for AMD but the important question is whether they're making money or not. It's all good and dandy that your market share is growing, but if you are not making money in the process that's not a good sign. AMD is not a fucking humongous corporation that can bank roll for 5 years straight just to kill the competition. Nvidia may be "losing" (I put that in quotes because in my opinion that's debatable) market share, but they are making truck loads of money, and they can use that money to grow and advance. I have high hopes for AMD, but being a little bit cynical from time to time never killed anyone.

Nvidia isn't really as big as they might seem. For 2013 AMD had 5.30 Billion revenue and Nvidia only had 4.28 Billion. Except Nvidia had 562 Million in profit and AMD had 0 profit and was actually in the hole with 83 Million in losses. AMD just needs to figure out how to become much more efficient and reduce operating expenses so that they can get profit out of their existing revenue.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Also the article is from August and we are into 4th quarter now?....

thats generally how it works, we won't get the 4Q figures on anything until February next year.  It takes time to collate and validate the data.

Nvidia isn't really as big as they might seem. For 2013 AMD had 5.30 Billion revenue and Nvidia only had 4.28 Billion. Except Nvidia had 562 Million in profit and AMD had 0 profit and was actually in the hole with 83 Million in losses. AMD just needs to figure out how to become much more efficient and reduce operating expenses so that they can get profit out of their existing revenue.

We can't really compare the entirety of AMD to NVidia because each company has profits and losses in divisions the other doesn't compete in.   Some of AMD's losses could be from CPU sales which can't be compared to Nvidia (for obvious reasons).  

I think AMD have a good future, I believe they are at the mercy of the market,  consumers love their Intel/Nvidia gear right now so if the next big wave of business machines are powered with AMD APU's then they are laughing, however (as we have seen with consoles) a sudden influx of sales doesn't always = profit.

Food for thought.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

thats generally how it works, we won't get the 4Q figures on anything until February next year.  It takes time to collate and validate the data.

We can't really compare the entirety of AMD to NVidia because each company has profits and losses in divisions the other doesn't compete in.   Some of AMD's losses could be from CPU sales which can't be compared to Nvidia (for obvious reasons).  

I think AMD have a good future, I believe they are at the mercy of the market,  consumers love their Intel/Nvidia gear right now so if the next big wave of business machines are powered with AMD APU's then they are laughing, however (as we have seen with consoles) a sudden influx of sales doesn't always = profit.

Food for thought.

Agreed, this is also why it makes no sense to think AMD, has to compete with the ultra high end Intel CPU's. AMD has their Firepro cards for GPGPU, and professional visual work, that Intel cannot compete on.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Agreed, this is also why it makes no sense to think AMD, has to compete with the ultra high end Intel CPU's. AMD has their Firepro cards for GPGPU, and professional visual work, that Intel cannot compete on.

Serious question (because I don't know) can't intels xeon phi do that?

EDIT: but yes, we still can't compare Intel to AMD on the whole because Intel don't do AIB GPUs so the comparison would be unfair.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Serious question (because I don't know) can't intels xeon phi do that?

EDIT: but yes, we still can't compare Intel to AMD on the whole because Intel don't do AIB GPUs so the comparison would be unfair.

Yeah the Phi can do that, but is still slower than ie. the Firepro w9100. Then again the Phi is from 2012, and has not been updated since that. That should in itself state whether or not the Phi was a success.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I can't remember, was that about the time the bitcoin mining craze was in full effect?

AMD cards were in incredibly high demand then.

Edited my post slightly, I've also pushed AMD's APU core to the side and think focus on GPU sales should be strictly between actual graphics cards to show a better representation of sales. People can't choose if their CPU also has a graphics core in some cases vs choosing which card to run.

By this logic AMD and Nvidia don't make video cards either.  They only make the chips themselves. 

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE