Alien: Isolation can support Oculus Rift with a few .ini edits

Fulgrim

BKqC7HCIiCI-.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Alien: Isolation is a scary game, and so it is only natural that people would want to have it strapped directly onto their face. People are weird like that. The good news—for the weird people—is that they now can. With a few simple .ini tweaks, Isolation will offer native Rift support, and even provide positional head-tracking for the DK2.

The info comes from  NeoGAF, who provide the following instructions:

Find ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML in the game's DATA folder. Change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode"> 
<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/> 
<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/> 
</Setting>

Next you'll need to set the Oculus to extended mode, and use the configuration utility to pause the service. Start the game, then reactivate the service by setting the display mode to "Direct to Rift".

Thanks to the positional tracking, you'll be able to pop your head around corners to see if there's a giant, unstoppable murderer coming at you. Have fun that.

So, head down to the shops, buy some nappies, some emergency recuperation chocolate, and let your neighbours know you’re not being murdered, your screams are just you playing a video game.

Source 1 2

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

--snip--

next article child parents sue oculous -Facebook for causing there child to have a heart attack after playing game alien:isolation on the oculous rift

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I thought it was compatible out of the box? Oculus were showcasing it at EGX London.

And my heart is compatible with all heart attacks after a few minutes of this :P

Why does the picture show you shooting the alien? I thought the entire game was about escaping it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why does the picture show you shooting the alien? I thought the entire game was about escaping it.

You can scare it away by shooting at it, but i find the best way to scare it off is with the flamethrower. Ammo is scarce though, and it's best to sneak about like an Arabian thief.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You can scare it away by shooting at it, but i find the best way to scare it off is with the flamethrower. Ammo is scarce though, and it's best to sneak about like an Arabian thief.

Do you ever actually get to kill it though?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Do you ever actually get to kill it though?

Erm...

There is a bit where you jettison a small section of the ship into space, with an alien inside. But he's not the only one. [major spoilers here] Turns out a small group of people landed on the planet, found the alien ship and one of the crew got faceraped by one of those facehuggers. They then went on the large space station  Sevastopol and it eventually birthed through said NPC's chest cavity. It's then lurked the ship, killing people etc, and there's a shit-ton of eggs with facehuggers  in the reactor's core. I haven't met an alien queen as of yet, so the eggs may have been transported from the alien ship on the planet. So when you think you've got rid of him, there are plenty more. And they are fucking irritating, it takes a lot of patience to sneak past them. And if you're spotted you are pretty much fucked unless you have a molotov/flamethrower ready.

Also, the AI is completely unpredictable and he's never in the same spot, and the aliens seem to like hiding in holes in the ceilings. Walking underneath one = instant death.  Facehuggers are instant death when they try to hump your face as well.

I'm on Mission 15 atm, which is near the end. 

A 7950....pumping out 77 FPS minimum.....

I'll be back when I can get my jaw relocated...

Might happen quite fast though as I don't know what detail settings were being used.

EDIT: I really want to get me some isolation...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Yep, I would die.

I have a heart attack every minute WITHOUT OR, so that would be greeeeat.

I might have to buy this now....  Looks like it's easy to run too. 

Yes! On ultra, my system with a GTX 760 and i3-4130 / 8GB can get a constant 60FPS. My brother's GTX 765M laptop can get around 50FPS on ultra.

BUT

The in-game AA is terrible. But Nvidia control panel's 'override' supersampling option doesn't do anything :(

Play with a rift and turn on the mode where the game listens for noise from your microphone. Complete that and you've gone through hell!