Will this amount of VRam be OK?

WhiteSkyMage

Hey,

Looks like some games these days start to get more vram intensive...it's true what they speak of - 6gb for ultra on 1080p on Shadow of Mordor...

So, i was gonna get the Asus Swift monitor, but cuz of those two games - evil within and Shadow of mordor, i am not sure which gpu will be enough to hold them up the 60fps on that 1440p resolution. Also, 4gb doesnt look like a good future proof or good for sli (next year).

So, Will 8gb be better to wait for, or that "ultra" doesnt differ much from "very high"?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

4GB is more than enough. Any games that need more at 1440p are just unoptimised pieces of sh*t that you shouldn't play.

4GB of vram is enough for the near future. And in Computers there isn't something called future proof.

4GB is more than enough. Any games that need more at 1440p are just unoptimised pieces of sh*t that you shouldn't play.

Didnt Linus say that the game was optimized?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

3/4GB is ok for Shadow Of Mordor's optional pack. The requirements are BS. Game is nothing special graphics-wise but there are many interesting features which I really like.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Didnt Linus say that the game was optimized?

He obviously wasn't using the Ultra textures then. Textures don't take up THAT much memory.

He obviously wasn't using the Ultra textures then. Textures don't take up THAT much memory.

I agreed here, the game is indeed great and run fine, but the Ultra texture requirement was probably blown up. it'd be nice to see a benchmarks with actual ultra texture pack enable.

However, seems like some gamers like this guy http://www.overclock.net/t/1516904/shadow-of-mordor-hd-textures-benchmark-ultra#post_22951174 benchmarked by themselves and found that... well.... not much impacts. (The guy I linked was using a 3GB VRAM card)

I have a 290x and I run mordor with sweetfx and ultra texture back just fine. I dont see how they came up with 6gb needed ;o

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

Well, what if i use ultra textures on 1440p monitor? Wont that take up to...at least 5gb vram?

Well, what if i use ultra textures on 1440p monitor? Wont that take up to...at least 5gb vram?

At 4k maybe but at 1440p i dont think so.