Bill Gates loves NFC payments - Gives Apple Pay as an example

Builder

Yeah I know what that is. I remember when it was getting a decent amount of news a decade ago.

And unfortunately we still haven't switched...maybe we never will, maybe NFC will just take over and finally kill the stupid fucking magstripe.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And unfortunately we still haven't switched...maybe we never will, maybe NFC will just take over and finally kill the stupid fucking magstripe.

Or people can go back to using cash.

I can only dream.

Nice on the 3k posts by the way. I hope most of those are filled with useful information unlike some of us.

While this has been a thing for quite a while, I've been thinking that it would take the Apple juggernaut to get nfc payments mainstream in the US. Its been very much a thing in Japan and other places. Stores that do it are currently far and few in between in my area, so I really hope this gets more widespread adoption.

While this has been a thing for quite a while, I've been thinking that it would take the Apple juggernaut to get nfc payments mainstream in the US. Its been very much a thing in Japan and other places. Stores that do it are currently far and few in between in my area, so I really hope this gets more widespread adoption.

Why would it take apple to get stores to implement NFC in the US?   Has it got something to do with corporate control?  I refuse to believe security is an issue as the rest of the world already does it. It can't be a roll out issue, because, like most technology they can simply roll out the new machines as the old ones need replacing, and in most cases NFC can be added to POS equipment rather than needing to replace anything.

Issues from GFC? problems with government red tape?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why would it take apple to get stores to implement NFC in the US?   Has it got something to do with corporate control?  I refuse to believe security is an issue as the rest of the world already does it. It can't be a roll out issue, because, like most technology they can simply roll out the new machines as the old ones need replacing, and in most cases NFC can be added to POS equipment rather than needing to replace anything.

Issues from GFC? problems with government red tape?

alot of people I talk to about phones (mind you that they are not enthusiasts such as us) and many didn't know that nfc payments with a phone could be done, even those with recent android phones capable of it. I think it will take Apple and their marketing to bring the demand for a roll out of this technology. There hasn't been much mainstream demand of nfc payment outside of the enthusiast community, as far as I have been able to tell. Apple jumping into the fray might just be the push to get the ball rolling for widespread adoption.

I don't think there is much government red tape for this. Some credit cards have nfc built into the card, and some stores have nfc payment pad-thingies. Its just a lack of demand. Stores don't have much intensive to buy the equipment that will go largely unused. I hope that is something that will change sooner than later.

alot of people I talk to about phones (mind you that they are not enthusiasts such as us) and many didn't know that nfc payments with a phone could be done, even those with recent android phones capable of it. I think it will take Apple and their marketing to bring the demand for a roll out of this technology. There hasn't been much mainstream demand of nfc payment outside of the enthusiast community, as far as I have been able to tell. Apple jumping into the fray might just be the push to get the ball rolling for widespread adoption.

I am sure majority of Australians are in the same boat as far as being tech savvy, but the banks have implemented or been working on implementations since 2012, I would have thought US banks would have done the same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh look, Apple fanboys making another claim of Apple "inventing" something that's been around for years...

apple pay is new. it hasnt been around for years.......lay off the crack

android fanboy - 

durp we have had NFC for 2 years durp look *pulls out phone* see. we can send pictures of deserts  to each other with ours durp

nfc has been a gimmick for the last 2 years and until contact-less payment takes off that's all it will be.  apple pay is about the best thing to come out of the 6 keynote and is a good idea.  the fact that NFC will be locked on the iphone kinda ruins it but still a good idea.  

oh how dos the USA not have chip and pin?  in the uk it was made law about 10 years ago

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

NFC payment is not new, it has been around for years. Apple Pay is new in that it's the first time iOS users can do it but that's about it.

OP worded his post so that it is implied that Apple Pay is a brand new thing and Bill Gates loves it, when Bill was actually just talking about NFC payments in general. The things Bill were talking about has been available on Android for several years.

On top of that, we already have people saying that Microsoft will rip Apple Pay off, as if Apple invented NFC payments.

nfc has been a gimmick for the last 2 years and until contact-less payment takes off that's all it will be.  apple pay is about the best thing to come out of the 6 keynote and is a good idea.  the fact that NFC will be locked on the iphone kinda ruins it but still a good idea.  

But it's already popular in some areas. Does that mean that it's not a gimmick? If it is still a gimmick then is Apple Pay also a gimmick?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sooner or later opens it up to third party developers as well. At least I hope they do.

Well it is another thing for MIcrosoft to rip off from Apple. So why wouldn't he. :P

I think you mixed them up

android fanboy - 

oh how dos the USA not have chip and pin?  in the uk it was made law about 10 years ago

List the things that make Apple Pay something completely new compared to NFC payments.

List the things that make Apple Pay something completely new compared to NFC payments.

1 apple made it

2 it dosnt store card details

3 it needs a finger print to make it work

next

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 apple made it

2 it dosnt store card details

3 it needs a finger print to make it work

next

I love how "Apple made it" is one of your points.

lets clarifie something here shall we, this article is talking about apple pay, weather bill was talking about apple pay or nfc in general who cares we were talking about apple pay and so was OP (granted OP is a total idiot with one of his appendages firmly jammed in his thunderbolt port) therefore......

apple did invent apple pay....the clues in the name. and by the looks of things it will inovate NFC payments. so is that apple innovating again? i think it is

and just so you understand Techhog innvate is not the same as invent

again lawz ripping off apple pay isnt saying that apple invented NFC they mean ripping off apples  way of handling nfc payments. as for nfc on android, when the biggest way of using nfc is replacing bluetooth file transfers.....its kind of a gimick.

Hmm.. It's the same as android does it but with some few changes, So I disagree when you say it's a gimmick and it's not like Bluetooth transfers at least how I use it where I live, what I agree with you that it will bush it forward because it's Apple when they adopts something everyone starts using it and embracing it, look at there keynote the number of partners that they teamed up with is amazing.

and what do you mean by "just so you understand Techhog innvate is not the same as invent"

*isn't *gimmick .....

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

lets clarifie something here shall we, this article is talking about apple pay, weather bill was talking about apple pay or nfc in general who cares we were talking about apple pay and so was OP (granted OP is a total idiot with one of his appendages firmly jammed in his thunderbolt port) therefore......

apple did invent apple pay....the clues in the name. and by the looks of things it will inovate NFC payments. so is that apple innovating again? i think it is

and just so you understand Techhog innvate is not the same as invent

again lawz ripping off apple pay isnt saying that apple invented NFC they mean ripping off apples  way of handling nfc payments. as for nfc on android, when the biggest way of using nfc is replacing bluetooth file transfers.....its kind of a gimick.

It's literally NFC payments on Apple hardware. They didn't add anything innovative to it. I'm not calling it a rip-off or a bad thing, but there's nothing remarkable about it. It's just Apple's take on NFC.

I still think the idea of making payments on your phone is completely stupid. It will be hacked sooner or later. Yes desktops get hacked all the time, but I just think of phones as being less secure.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's literally NFC payments on Apple hardware. They didn't add anything innovative to it. I'm not calling it a rip-off or a bad thing, but there's nothing remarkable about it. It's just Apple's take on NFC.

Oh yeah, surely there isn't a whitepaper on the security features of it that I posted a few pages ago, right?

(granted OP is a total idiot with one of his appendages firmly jammed in his thunderbolt port)

Did you really have to go there? Really? I realize you think the quote you have in your sig is funny but to be completely honest from everyone knowledgeable's point of view it just makes you look like you didn't understand what I was saying.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No it's not. See if your gonna slate it then at least understand what it is. Apple pay does not use your credit card directly. It creates a payment gateway between your phone and your bank or credit account t authorise payments. This means that your card details are NOT stored on your device unlike google wallet.

There's this magical thing called respect, and Bill Gates has it guys. Shocker.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No it's not. See if your gonna slate it then at least understand what it is. Apple pay does not use your credit card directly. It creates a payment gateway between your phone and your bank or credit account t authorise payments. This means that your card details are NOT stored on your device unlike google wallet.

It's a slightly safer implementation of the exact safe function. Calling it innovative is a stretch, and calling it something completely new is flat-out wrong. 

It's a slightly safer implementation of the exact safe function.

Slightly? The credit card details are no longer stored locally. That's much safer. Also that's precisely what innovation is, doing the same function in a better way.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Slightly? The credit card details are no longer stored locally. That's much safer. Also that's precisely what innovation is, doing the same function in a better way.

That doesn't make a difference unless somebody accesses your phone to get your encrypted data, and since you claim that OS X and iOS are the safest things ever created, it doesn't make a huge difference either way, does it? It's safer, but it's not vastly different or a game-changer, and if Apple patented it (which I'm sure they did because they're jackasses), it actually holds the technology back.

But that's all that I have to say to you, because arguing with you isn't worth anyone's time. 

That doesn't make a difference unless somebody accesses your phone to get your encrypted data, and since you claim that OS X and iOS are the safest things ever created, it doesn't make a huge difference either way, does it? It's safer, but it's not vastly different or a game-changer, and if Apple patented it (which I'm sure they did because they're jackasses), it actually holds the technology back.

But that's all that I have to say to you, because arguing with you isn't worth anyone's time. 

Yeah yeah, holding the technology back. You contradict yourself there. You say it's not a huge difference, but if that's true, then you'd have no problem with them patenting it right?

And then you throw the "not worth my time" card. Great.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah yeah, holding the technology back. You contradict yourself there. You say it's not a huge difference, but if that's true, then you'd have no problem with them patenting it right?

And then you throw the "not worth my time" card. Great.

I agree that it's better and safer, but it's not enough to call it something completely new. That's all I'm saying. It's an improvement, and a logical improvement. However, many other things don't store CC info. It shouldn't be something that can be patented, but it is, so nobody else will be able to do it. That changes it from a true innovation into a selling point. 

It holds the industry back because a lot of places will only support Apple Pay and ignore other NFC payment methods. That doesn't benefit anyone but Apple.

You've pulled it on me before, even though I'm actually capable of a flexible opinion, unlike you. You're just always right and see that Apple does nothing wrong ever because they are literally perfection. How is somebody like that worth my time?