Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, I meant 360 Total Security

That sound is from MSN Messager when you receive a message.

hmm, i don't have msn messager installed and i keep hearing that sound about every minute

Just now, Yongtjunkit said:

hmm, i don't have msn messager installed

See update.. I think it is malware... or some some joke app...

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

if revert back and its a malaware, it wont help right?

also I have 2 partition I have c: and D:, I had all my data on D: 

Also turning off system sound in volume mixer doesn't help at all and also enabling quiet mode doesn't help at all

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Just checked the update, my pc seems not getting the Samsung 850 evo speed as it shows the black screen before the desktop

-update -

Windows explorer apparently gets unresponsive and I can't acess the start  menu, anti virus seems to have some virus in quarantine 

image.thumb.jpg.b565bf914743faf4ddd632436bf3b185.jpg

Going back will keep the malware, as it comes from there.

I would just clean install to be honest.

(well backup your stuff before, and all that, before starting, of course)

Come to think about it, a similar sounds is a notification from a Samsung phone.

Do you have PushBullet or a Samsung phone specific software?

quick question, is it a good idea to use the insider builds on my daily machine? i really want to try new stuff, but i want it to be stable as well. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

quick question, is it a good idea to use the insider builds on my daily machine? i really want to try new stuff, but i want it to be stable as well. 

If you have to ask, the answer is no. A lot of people I'm sure will jump in saying "I've been using it for X months/years and it's been pretty stable" but you shouldn't let anecdotes like that lull you into a false sense of security. The insider builds (both fast and slow) are pre-release software. If you need stability, stick with the release channel.

2 minutes ago, Nacimota said:

If you have to ask, the answer is no. A lot of people I'm sure will jump in saying "I've been using it for X months/years and it's been pretty stable" but you shouldn't let anecdotes like that lull you into a false sense of security. The insider builds (both fast and slow) are pre-release software. If you need stability, stick with the release channel.

i don't need absolute stability, just enough so that i can turn my pc on and be confident that it will boot. the odd crash here and there is fine. i always use developer versions of web browsers and stuff, so i'm used to that. 

so will insider be stable enough for that?

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i don't need absolute stability, just enough so that i can turn my pc on and be confident that it will boot. the odd crash here and there is fine. i always use developer versions of web browsers and stuff, so i'm used to that. 

If you're willing to tolerate some instability then the slow channel is a relatively safe bet. Again, you should just be mindful that it's pre-release software that is being frequently updated. Really, you should be keeping backups of your important data no matter what OS you're using so as long as you're taking precautions and are ok with possibly being inconvenienced every now and again, I say go for it.

However if you really just want to try out some of the new features, I would just drop it on another machine if you have one or even in a VM. It's also worth nothing that the Fall Creators Update is just around the corner anyway so you'll be seeing new features on the retail channel very soon.

Just now, Nacimota said:

If you're willing to tolerate some instability then the slow channel is a relatively safe bet. Again, you should just be mindful that it's pre-release software that is being frequently updated. Really, you should be keeping backups of your important data no matter what OS you're using so as long as you're taking precautions and are ok with possibly being inconvenienced every now and again, I say go for it.

However if you really just want to try out some of the new features, I would just drop it on another machine if you have one or even in a VM. It's also worth nothing that the Fall Creators Update is just around the corner anyway so you'll be seeing new features on the retail channel very soon.

i know, i know, i just really like experimenting with new stuff on my gadgets. and i know myself, if i update on a secondary machine it will have a feature that i really want on my main machine, and i'll update my main rig anyway 9_9

She/Her

okay, i need help. whenever i click on the "get started" button within Windows, i get the "join the program" message, but i already opted in. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

You opted in and restarted? After that the insider menu should show a button to stop receiving builds, a selector for which branch and another for which pace you would like to receive insider builds.

nevermind, it's working now.

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

nevermind, it's working now.

Excellent.

On average:

• Fast Ring: new build each week
  • Slow Ring: new build once a month

Currently, Slow Ring is on the official release of Fall Creator update coming tomorrow (if no last minute delays) And Fast Ring are on Redstone 4 (update code name) development. It is targeted for a a release in April.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Excellent.

On average:

• Fast Ring: new build each week
  • Slow Ring: new build once a month

Currently, Slow Ring is on the official release of Fall Creator update coming tomorrow (f no last minute delays) And Fast Ring are on Redstone 4 development.

I just hope tomorrows release wave doesn't leave some major bugs this time around, pretty excited to have it after reading your summarization post. Gotta say the GPU usage is far more detailed than I was expecting them to implement.

30 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I just hope tomorrows release wave doesn't leave some major bugs this time around, pretty excited to have it after reading your summarization post. Gotta say the GPU usage is far more detailed than I was expecting them to implement.

Many people will have issues on the forum... but it is the same drill at every release of Service Packs and new versions of windows that people decide to upgrade.

Most times it comes down to:

• Forced update and not wait for their waves, so fall into driver or detected bug that MS usually fix via update.
  • A/V acts up.
  • Registry cleaner was used on system.
  • Had a virus or malware at some point. People forget that an A/V is all about prevention. So once the virus or malware is deployed, it only removes it, it doesn't fix registry changes and modified system files.
  • Drivers were not updated before upgrading
  • Crappy system tweak tool used.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Most times it comes down to:

• Forced update and not wait for their waves, so fall into driver or detected bug that MS usually fix via update.
  • A/V acts up.
  • Registry cleaner was used on system.
  • Had a virus or malware at some point. People forget that an A/V is all about prevention. So once the virus or malware is deployed, it only removes it, it doesn't fix registry changes and modified system files.
  • Drivers were not updated before upgrading
  • Crappy system tweak tool used.

The only A/V I use is Windows Defender and I don't use reg cleaners so there should be no problem there, I also like to think that I have decent enough browsing habits so less risk of some malware/virus (not much I can do to stop the NSA inserting their worms...). Just need to check drivers again and play the waiting game.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Going back will keep the malware, as it comes from there.

I would just clean install to be honest.

(well backup your stuff before, and all that, before starting, of course)

Should I do it like Now or should I wait the official release tomorrow, then do a clean install?

Not to mention it's not able to take a screenshot anymore and the volume is not going away 

image.thumb.jpg.e348ddc959205ccee404465b404ebef3.jpg

1 minute ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Should I do it like Now or should I wait the official release tomorrow, then do a clean install?

Not to mention it's not able to take a screenshot anymore and the volume is not going away 

Unless you want to be part of the Insider program, wait for tomorrow.

<snip>

If you don't mind the possible bug that the latest release will have, I would wait till tomorrow (Or a few days) and use the tool to create an ISO and do a clean install with that.

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

If you don't mind the possible bug that the latest release will have, I would wait till tomorrow (Or a few days) and use the tool to create an ISO and do a clean install with that.

usually update my pc to the latest version of Windows 10 on launch day, so I don't mind actually updating tomorrow 

usually update my pc to the latest version of Windows 10 on launch day, so I don't mind actually updating tomorrow 

Well since this is a clean install, you should have less issues than most people, just remember to get them drivers.

No, meant clean install tomorrow with the latest version of Windows 10.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No, meant clean install tomorrow with the latest version of Windows 10.

17 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Well since this is a clean install, you should have less issues than most people, just remember to get them drivers.

This shouldn't happen when you boot up you pc right?

This shouldn't happen when you boot up you pc right?

Shouldn't unless you had something logging in a hidden user account behind your back *shudders*