Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

New build for the Fast Ring (not on Skip Ahead):

Build 16296

Only small list of fixes now as Microsoft is on the polishing stages.

• We fixed an issue where Hyper-V couldn’t create a VM on 3rd party network storage.
  • We fixed an issue where for the first few minutes after clean installing a non-English build many inbox app names might unexpectedly appear with English app names.
  • We fixed an issue where gaming apps using WebView with heavy use of HTML canvas might have unexpectedly had very low FPS in recent flights.

At this stage, we expect Microsoft to release many small builds with bug fixes only.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

New build for the Fast Ring (not on Skip Ahead):

Build 16296

Only small list of fixes now as Microsoft is on the polishing stages.

At this stage, we expect Microsoft to release many small builds with bug fixes only.

Preparing for the Fall update.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New build for those on Fast Ring (not on Skip Ahead). Build: 16299

Only a few bug fixes:

• We fixed an issue some Insiders were experiencing where after upgrading to recent flights their optical drive wouldn’t be listed under This PC.
  • We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge might crash when scrolling embedded PDFs.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders seeing 0x80070005 when trying to upgrade to the last few flights.
  • We fixed an issue where using the Automatic File Download notification to block an app from downloading files wasn’t working for UWP apps.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Windows Defender potentially downloading files selected to be online-only after using the file picker dialog and viewing their thumbnails.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/09/26/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16299-pc/#wQQZrDDS02UtbitQ.97

How stable is the latest build compared to the current Creators Update (1703)?

For those one the Skip Ahead branch. Microsoft releases a Redstone 4 update.

Build 17004

It includes mostly improvements (no new features) in Edge and bug fixes of the OS and Edge.

The only new feature, is that the Start Menu now has the Fluent Design look.

f37192d304496b962f02f0e02866582d-461x1024.thumb.png.56cba5dbfca482f9ee1d411b47362960.png

Improvement Fixes on Edge:

• We fixed an issue where typing a web address into the address bar from the New Tab and Start Page and would sometimes clear the text and not result in any page navigation
  • We fixed an issue resulting in keyboard layout changes potentially not being applied when using Microsoft Edge after setting focus to the address bar.
  • We fixed an issue where the tab previews for PDFs were black with a white bar on each side.
  • We fixed an issue where the first time you pressed Ctrl + F to open Search, the search box doesn’t get focus. We also fixed an issue where you might be unable to type in the address bar after clicking on CTRL+F text field.
  • We fixed an issue where “Open with previous pages” wouldn’t recover tabs after dragging a tab between two Microsoft Edge windows.
  • We fixed an issue resulting copy/paste and the print dialog not working for those using the updated Youtube.com website design.
  • We fixed an issue where Ctrl + Click on a link in a PDF wouldn’t open the link in a new tab.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in PDFs potentially rendering blank after panning down a few pages and back up.
  • We fixed an issue from recent flights where Alt + D wouldn’t bring input focus to the address bar when certain keyboards were active.

Bug fixes and improvement to the OS:

• RS4 builds include many of the same fixes included in the latest RS3 builds.
  • We are introducing a new color wheel to Color & High Contrast Settings to help you get a feel for the effect of each of the different available color filters.
  • You may see a Microsoft Edge shortcut on your desktop after upgrading to this build. You can delete the shortcut, upgrade from this build and it will not return.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Mod Organizer no longer load mods into Skyrim in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the last flighted build sometimes green screening with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in win32kfull.sys.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the WIN+X menu sometimes unexpectedly missing the accelerator key underline hints.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/09/27/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17004-pc-skip-ahead/#oVjrGaCL0LhB6UQh.97

Happy Upgrading!

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The only new feature, is that the Start Menu now has the Fluent Design look.

About time... but darn I'm in in the fast ring, gonna have to wait.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just wanted to ask: How many of you use Solidworks on this Insider builds? After every update, I have to repair install my solidworks 2017 on my laptop and it's starting to drive me crazy. The bundled SQL server it uses as a process (for Solidworks Electrical) also fails to start after upgrades and I have to manually re-start it from services.msc 

Any ideas? It's the only piece of software on my laptop that isn't playing nice with Insider builds.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

5 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Just wanted to ask: How many of you use Solidworks on this Insider builds? After every update, I have to repair install my solidworks 2017 on my laptop and it's starting to drive me crazy. The bundled SQL server it uses as a process (for Solidworks Electrical) also fails to start after upgrades and I have to manually re-start it from services.msc 

Any ideas? It's the only piece of software on my laptop that isn't playing nice with Insider builds.

I don't.. the software maker needs to fix the issue in their setup.

What you can look into, is setup a batch file to run the setup for you. Usually, setups have a silent flag (usually argument: /s), and another argument to say which option in the setup you want to execute (install, modify, repair, etc.... my guess: /r), Like this, whee it upgrade, you just run the *.bat file as admin, you continue to use your system (beside using SolidWorks), and when done (say you know it takes 5min to install, so you wait 5min), well you are now ready to use SolidWorks.

If you really have nothing to do, you can check what all the registry keys it uses, what service and files it registers with Windows, what environment (if any) path it setups. And then compare after you upgrade what is missing, and make a script that will execute everything needed. Very time consuming to do, and a pain to do, but once done, you'll have a script to run which will take a sec or two to run, and not have to go through the lengthy setup.

For those intrested:

As mentioned, nothing to jump on of excitement if you are not in the Skip Ahead. Like in the past, you can be assured that it will take many builds as Microsoft simply works on the foundation for new features. I think by the time some nice features comes out, then Fall Creator Update will be released, and both will be merged. Also, those on Skip ahead still have older version of apps than Fall Creators Update Fast Ring. Heck, the Store is still the old design look.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

My brother uses Solidworks on Insider builds (fast ring) and never had a problem, but I'm not sure about the version.

But you're not alone, and it seems that they're aware of the problem:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/209366  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/203380

Yup, that second thread you posted is exactly what my issue is. I can open parts and assemblies but  as soon  as I try to modify, make a sketch, or use a feature my SW crashes. I'm on version 2017 Service pack  4 Hotfix 1. It is not a hardware or driver issue, but some sort of registry issue. It makes the program unusable.

Dassault Systemes seems not to be doing anything about it, there's an open ticket to fix it but no ETA on how the fix will happen (hotfix, service pack, etc.)...

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

New Build for Fast Ring (not Skip ahead).

RTM Build 16299.15

So, a minor update, indicating that 16299 is the RTM.

Now, I should get started on my "Everything you need to know about..." news post as I always do, as October 17 is coming.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

New Build for Fast Ring (not Skip ahead).

RTM Build 16299.15

So, a minor update, indicating that 16299 is the RTM.

Now, I should get started on my "Everything you need to know about..." news post as I always do, as October 17 is coming.

Dang, time flys by in college, not long ago it felt like it was still months away from release.

Edited by Guest
now -> not

• 2 weeks later...

New Build released - 17017

For Fast Ring Insider and Skip Ahead! Both branch will now merge back to into 1, as it was before!

What's New?

• Cortana Collection.
    Not sure I get the purpose of  it, or if I understand it... but here is what MS says:

Cortana now saves you time and stress by noticing and remembering things for you and putting them at your fingertips. Cortana can gather things you’re interested in such as items you shop for, restaurants, recipes, and books you’d like to check out, movies and TV shows you want to watch – and puts them all into neatly organized lists from which you can pick the ones you like best. Cortana is always learning, so the more you let Cortana help you, the more Cortana does for you. Check out the quest we’ve set up for more info on how to try this out and let us know what you think! (Available for EN-US Insiders only.)

• Moving Cortana actions to the action center to have 1 place for everything.

Simplifying actions between Cortana and Action Center: In the previous feature updates of Windows 10 (including the Fall Creators Update), there were two places to go to see the next action you might need to take: Cortana and Action Center. We heard feedback that this was confusing as it wasn’t clear where to go. The fact that Cortana’s insights and recommended actions lived outside of Action Center also made it impossible to focus Cortana’s user interface on Cortana’s natural language and search capabilities. To fix both of these problems, Cortana’s proactive content is going to migrate to Action Center so that you have one place to go to find out what action to take next and to see the important insights Cortana has for you. This frees up Cortana’s user interface to provide tips, educating customers about what can be said to Cortana, and to provide tools for search so that you can get the information you need as quickly as possible. You will see the first part of this change starting with this build with Cortana no longer offering proactive content. Over time, you will see the proactive content that used to be available in Cortana show up in Action Center.

• You can now Enable and Disable Startup Programs from the Settings panel. It is now no longer hidden for most people in the Task Manager.

• UWP apps can now be startup programs.

What's fix or improved?

• We fixed an issue a small percent of Insiders were experiencing where uninstalled apps might unexpectedly reinstall after a reboot.
  • We fixed an issue where wallpaper changes might not roam to devices on the Windows 10 Creators Update with “Sync your settings” enabled.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous flight where Storage Settings would crash on launch.
  • We fixed an issue where changing time zones would result in the lock screen clock being incorrect until logging out and back in.
  • We fixed an issue where the Action Center wouldn’t scroll with touch if you started the scrolling motion on top of a notification.
  • If a notification doesn’t support being dismissed into the Action Center, the toast will now show an X instead of an arrow.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard might unexpectedly auto launch after a system restart on non-touch PCs if you’d used the touch keyboard prior to restarting.
  • We’ve updated the language settings icon in the input flyout to be consistent with that used in the touch keyboard.
  • We fixed an issue where the “2” character wasn’t rendering correctly in some apps when using the Courier New font.
  • We fixed an issue where duplicate icons might be displayed in the Volume Mixer when playing certain games or online videos.
  • We fixed an issue causing reduced performance in some DirectX 9 games running at high framerates. If you’re a fan of gaming, please take a moment to try playing your favorite games on this build and share feedback.
  • We fixed an issue where certain graphics drivers might result in night light displaying with unexpected colors when enabled in recent builds.
  • Going forward from this build, the settings to disable hibernate and Fast Startup will be preserved across upgrade.
  • We fixed an issue some Insiders were experiencing where after upgrading to recent flights their optical drive wouldn’t be listed under This PC.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders seeing 0x80070005 when trying to upgrade to the last few flights.
  • We fixed an issue from recent flights where you might see code 0x80070002 when trying to update apps from the Store.
  • We fixed an issue where Hyper-V couldn’t create a VM on 3rd party network storage.
  • We fixed an issue where for the first few minutes after clean installing a non-English build many inbox app names might unexpectedly appear with English app names.
  • We fixed an issue where gaming apps using WebView with heavy use of HTML canvas might have unexpectedly had very low FPS in recent flights.

Known issues:

- If you are missing some Feature-on-Demand (FOD) packages such as Windows Media Player, please see this Feedback Hub post: https://aka.ms/Rsrjqn.
- Using a swipe gesture with touch to dismiss notifications from the Action Center is currently not working. We’re investigating – for now you’ll need to use the clear all button, or use mouse/keyboard.
- If you RDP into a PC running this build with certain GPU configurations, when you go to sign in to the PC locally it might appear stuck at a black screen with only the cursor available. If you let it sit for a bit, the PC will eventually recover and you’ll be able to use it normally

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/13/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17017-pc/#PiDd1B5Al3TRTDro.97

I am having issues upgrading to this build on my desktop and Surface Pro 3.... I am getting Windows Update download it, and then, shows: Error 0xc1900401. Restart doesn't fix it. Clearing Windows Update cache, restart, and try again, doesn't work either.

8 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The best thing they could do with Cortana? Put a single button to get rid of it.

I actually use Cortana for a few things.

• Reading/Sending SMS messages in the car. Works really well for me.
  • Package Tracking
  • Pickup where you left off is handy on select times
  • When to leave notification
  • Music selection in car
  • Easy getting Flight status updates

It's pretty good, if you give it a chance.. Mind you I don't use voice at home... only in the car with my phone.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I actually use Cortana for a few things.

• Reading/Sending SMS messages in the car. Works really well for me.
  • Package Tracking
  • Pickup where you left off is handy on select times
  • When to leave notification
  • Music selection in car
  • Easy getting Flight status updates

It's pretty good, if you give it a chance.. Mind you I don't use voice at home... only in the car with my phone.

10 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The best thing they could do with Cortana? Put a single button to get rid of it.

I have had zeros issue with cortana. She is quick, recognizes me very easily I have nothing really to say against. My kids love to ask her questions constantly they thinks its cool.

Awesome for the update finally, bug fixes that I need. :D 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Update: I can now download and install this last build on both my system, I guess there was a server issue at the moment I initialized the: 'Check for Windows Update.'

just updated to the latest fall creator update on the slow ring, seems broken even though release is just 2 days away

- at first boot, the system is unusable with start menu not opening(had to reboot at least 3 times for it to be stable)

-not only that the system froze when its on the desktop (1st boot)

- noticed that there's no power slider at all on the battery meter(it appears once and it doesn't appear again)

-   pressing win+. doesn't bring up emoji at all.

- Microsoft edge splash screen is gray with black dots and no longer blue

@GoodBytes am I posting at the right section?

6 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

just updated to the latest fall creator update on the slow ring, seems broken even though release is just 2 days away

- at first boot, the system is unusable with start menu not opening(had to reboot at least 3 times for it to be stable)

-not only that the system froze when its on the desktop (1st boot)

- noticed that there's no power slider at all on the battery meter(it appears once and it doesn't appear again)

-   pressing win+. doesn't bring up emoji at all.

- Microsoft edge splash screen is gray with black dots and no longer blue

Hmm.. what build number are you?

(Start > type: Winver and hit Enter)

I am asking, because it is not normal, and I am unfamiliar where the Slow ring is. I just want to be sure you are on the RTM release.

@GoodBytes am I posting at the right section?

Yes you are :)

6 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

-snip-

To add, did you have an anti-virus or other security software installed beside Windows Defender?

Did you ever use a registry cleaner at some point?

Did you upgrade ALL your drivers before upgrading to the latest build?

You can still revert back to the Creators Update. You have 30 days from the day you upgraded.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmm.. what build number are you?

(Start > type: Winver and hit Enter)

I am asking, because it is not normal, and I am unfamiliar where the Slow ring is. I just want to be sure you are on the RTM release.

Yes you are :)

here's the screenshot that you are looking for59e4b23661cae_Screenshot(29).png.2393b1742695738ce6c9efc64d21e4e6.png

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

To add, did you have an anti-virus or other security software installed beside Windows Defender?

Did you ever use a registry cleaner at some point?

Did you upgrade ALL your drivers before upgrading to the latest build?

You can still revert back to the Creators Update. You have 30 days from the day you upgraded.

1. I had 360 total security free and malawarebytes free trial with real time disabled( i wanted the free version but it gives me the trial version)

2. nope, i've also unchecked the boxes everything else that it ask me to resolve execpt for the virus part if applicable  

3. nope, no new drivers avalabile, i've installed the latest version of the driver of nvidia gt720m with geforce experience when it prompted me to before the rs3 release preview update

just to add that Microsoft word 2013 is acting weird before i installed the fall creator update. tried repair install windows 10 creators update and repair install of office 2013

5 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

here's the screenshot that you are looking for

Yea. Looks right. You are on the Fall Creator Update.

4 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

1. I had 360 total security free and malawarebytes free trial with real time disabled( i wanted the free version but it gives me the trial version)

2. nope, i've also unchecked the boxes everything else that it ask me to resolve execpt for the virus part if applicable  

3. nope, no new drivers avalabile, i've installed the latest version of the driver of nvidia gt720m with geforce experience when it prompted me to before the rs3 release preview update

Malwarebytes is fine. It doesn't tend to freak out during a Windows Update. Norton might have freaked out and think a virus attack was taking place or something and broke the upgrade.

I would see in going back to the previous version of Windows, makes sure that one is broken, and everything works. Uninstall your anti-virus (you can install it back once you upgrade), restart your PC, and NOW upgrade to Fall Creators Update.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Malwarebytes is fine. It doesn't tend to freak out during a Windows Update. Norton might have freaked out and think a virus attack was taking place or something and broke the upgrade.

I would see in going back to the previous version of Windows, makes sure that one is broken, and everything works. Uninstall your anti-virus (you can install it back once you upgrade), restart your PC, and NOW upgrade to Fall Creators Update.

i've also noticed that my laptop makes this sound about every minute

also i didn't noticed any information from my anti virus about virus,etc and I don't use norton, as far as i know that Microsoft word 2013 is somewhat broken 

11 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

i've also noticed that my laptop makes this sound about every minute

also i didn't noticed any information from my anti virus about virus,etc and I don't use norton, as far as i know that Microsoft word 2013 is somewhat broken 

Sorry, I meant 360 Total Security

That sound is from MSN Messager when you receive a message. MSN service plug was pulled many many many years ago.

So I don't know... you are a funny program installed (malware), is what it tells me.