Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

my laptop just made every folder icon in my start menu the WireShark icon. if i click the folder, it goes back to normal. 

She/Her

i just got a new Insider Build. build 17025. 

installed without issues on my pc, it took about 10 minutes to install. the only annoying thing it did was reset some settings in the nvidia control panel, such as color vibrancy. 

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/25/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17025-pc/

EDIT: installed on my laptop fine as well. again, it reset my display vibrance settings, in the intel control panel this time. 

She/Her

i'm still on the same build, but i discoverd that some games have a lot of graphical issues when playing fullscreen. namely BeamNG drive. i'm talking crashing, tearing and weird colors of elements in the games. weirdly, Overwatch plays just fine in fullscreen. 

She/Her

40 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Another Mediocre Device... I..... knew it...

Suspicious-Ned-Flanders-Is-Joined-By-Actor-Leonardo-DiCaprio-and-Fry-From-Futurama-In-Extra-Suspicious-Meme_408x408.jpg.b6804c696c457a350021ed3473bf093d.jpg

But seriously, this really sucks. hopefully MS can fix it quickly and release a new build later for AMD users. Last week MS has a show stopper bug, maybe it was with Intel CPUs (with the AMD ones), and they fixed Intel first (probably due to market shares of Insiders), and now AMD is next. Just a random guess.

This new build does have some cool feature:

• Edge now has Mute Tab feature
  • Air Drop style feature, under the Share menu. (You see nearby computer and can send files to them). It is called Near Share

It has more, check the link @gabrielcarvfer posted.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, VMarshall said:

When the Redstone 3 update released? Can't wait for the NEW UI experience. This is almost end of november

got released in september. version 1709 of Windows, also known as the Fall Creators Update

She/Her

• 2 weeks later...

Still on Build 17025 cant seem to get it to update... :(  just fails.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Have you seen that they had some problems with update delivery?

I dont have twitter so yeah I missed that. Thanks :D 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If I were to guess, they really want Timeline feature to work. Or they really want to fix some big change on the back which broke UWP apps from working properly on some systems, which the current build faces.

How come the build number changes so erratically between builds released to Insiders?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 3 weeks later...

Warning To All:

i tried installing build 17063 on my pc and my laptop, with both of them ending up with bricked bootloaders. they are both stuck at the bios screen. 

test the update on a spare machine first! (if you use insider previews on your main machines like i do)

She/Her

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

Warning To All:

i tried installing build 17063 on my pc and my laptop, with both of them ending up with bricked bootloaders. they are both stuck at the bios screen. 

test the update on a spare machine first! (if you use insider previews on your main machines like i do)

Both my laptop and non-work desktop have build 17063 and everything is fine on my end. Tested on both legacy BIOS and EFI boot methods.

Not quite sure what's up with the bad bootloader in your case? Where you dual booting or did you play around with the Windows Boot Manager?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

hmm.. interesting problem. I also too have no problems on my Surface Pro 3 and desktop PC (Core i7 930 6GB of RAM GeForce 680)

3 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Both my laptop and non-work desktop have build 17063 and everything is fine on my end. Tested on both legacy BIOS and EFI boot methods.

Not quite sure what's up with the bad bootloader in your case? Where you dual booting or did you play around with the Windows Boot Manager?

nope. no dual boot. i installed from the "normal version" of Windows 10

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Tested in 3 pc's, and all of them working just fine in terms of bootloader. The only real problem I have is related to a bug in WSL that causes a GSOD whenever I try to work with CLion =/

@firelighter487 what problem did you have? Did you manage to fix it? Did you report it on Feedback hub or to one o MSFT people managing Insider program on Twitter (@windowsinsider, @donasarkar, @JenMSFT, @brandonleblanc)?

my issue was i'd click "restart now" to install the build, it would go to 56%, reboot, and get stuck. i've tweeted windowsinsider already. 

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

hmm.. interesting problem. I also too have no problems on my Surface Pro 3 and desktop PC (Core i7 930 6GB of RAM GeForce 680)

it might be because i installed it from the release version of Windows. on both machines. i used the normal release for a bit, but got bored, and wanted to try insider again. 

i "solved" the issue by downloading the slow ring iso from the Microsoft website, and reinstalling my machines. i'm gonna stay on the slow ring for now i think. 

She/Her

New build!

This one exciting also!

Build 17074

In summary

• Lots of improvements to Edge
  • Quiet Hours will automatically turn on when you are duplicating your display, or when you play a DirectX game full screen, and new customization options
  • Settings got a mass number of Sound option, including per app sound level and SOURCE selection. So you can say which output each app should go through

Capture.PNG.9180fe38b5df4a032cc21250bea734b6.PNG

• You can now right-click on the Start menu side column where you have the folders, Setting gear button, and so on, and pick "Personalize" to directly jump to the settings
  • Near Share reliability improvements
  • Disc Cleaner has been integrated to the Settings panel (look for "Free up space now" and "Change how we free up space automatically" under Settings > System > Storage)
  • Writing mode input box is now integrated to a text box:
    74937193a1de3fbcfd7827d00b51a3a4.gif

Bug fixes:

• We have rolled out Sets to more Insiders – if you see it show up, please try it out and do the Quests in Feedback Hub!
  • This build includes mitigations to protect Insiders from the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. For more information on this topic, please see this blog post from Terry Myerson. Additionally, if you are running 3rd party antivirus software on your PC you will need to ensure you are running the latest most up-to-date version of your antivirus software with the latest antivirus definitions to avoid having your PC get into a bad state.
  • Windows now fully supports Adobe-style “.otf” OpenType Variable Fonts, like the Acumin Variable Concept font and others recently released by Adobe.
  • Insiders running Windows 10 S may have noticed that after upgrading to the latest builds, their PC appears to be running “Windows 10 Pro In S Mode”. This change is by design and these PCs will continue to function as Windows 10 S PCs and will continue to be able to take Insider Preview builds as part of testing RS4. We’ll have more to share as we get closer to the next Windows 10 release.
  • For Insiders who reported that Windows needs activation after upgrading to Build 17063, this build includes the fix that caused the issue however you will need to use the Activation Troubleshooter to get your activation back into a good state once you’re on this build.
  • We have added a new PowerShell cmdlet to retrieve decoded logs for Delivery Optimization (Get-DeliveryOptimizationLog).
  • We’ve updated the reveal effect in the Taskbar’s Clock and Calendar flyout such that the day with focus now has a lighter background.
  • Now that it’s had some time to receive your feedback, we’ve updated to be the default keyboard for the Tamil language.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings might crash if the window was too small.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Update Settings unexpectedly displayed two horizontal lines.
  • We fixed an issue where in certain cases USB devices with unreliable connections might cause bugchecks (GSOD) on PCs.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous flight where touch and pen weren’t working on the non-primary display. This might also have resulted in mouse, touch, and pen input not happening in the right place after an orientation change or when using a non-native aspect ratio.
  • We fixed an issue where if you were using any EUDC fonts Microsoft Edge, Cortana, and other apps that use a webview wouldn’t launch.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge crashing when deleting favorites.
  • We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge might crash when trying to copy text or login on certain websites.
  • We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge might crash when opening PDFs on the previous flight.
  • We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge resulting in images on flickr.com going blank after a follow/unfollow user action.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in a white line being visible on the right side of screen when certain videos are watched full screen in Microsoft Edge.
  • We fixed an issue where while navigating through OOBE, some of the buttons in the pages might not display correctly.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Themes appearing in Start after they’d been downloaded from Store.
  • We’ve updated the reveal effect in the Taskbar’s Clock and Calendar flyout such that the day with focus now has a lighter background.
  • We fixed an issue where the feedback message (like from Windows Hello) could end up overlapping Spotlight text on the lock screen.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Update Settings unexpectedly displayed two horizontal lines.
  • We fixed an issue where when transparency effects were turned off the Virtual Desktops pane in Task View would overlap Timeline with no background.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in an explorer.exe crash when using WIN + Tab to open Task View on the previous flight.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in an explorer.exe crash when trying to use control.exe to open app defaults.
  • We fixed an issue where the Taskbar might render completely transparent on secondary monitors.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in certain apps, like Firefox, might not have audio after upgrading to the previous flight. This issue also impacted the ability to record audio in Microsoft Edge.
  • We fixed an issue where surround sound gaming headsets would revert to stereo after rebooting.
  • We fixed an issue in the audio service around app impersonation which was breaking audio recording from apps like Firefox which intentionally run with a restricted token.
  • We fixed a couple of issues resulting in crashes in the “audiosrv” and “audioendpointbuilder” audio services which would cause audio not to work, or new audio devices not to be recognized.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Hearthstone not launching on the previous build.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in fullscreen games getting stuck minimized or exiting fullscreen status unexpectedly.
  • We fixed an issue where the emoji panel search wasn’t working in desktop (Win32) apps.
  • We fixed an issue where the input flyout wouldn’t appear the first time you pressed WIN + Space.
  • We fixed a memory leak in NisSrv.exe from the previous flight.
  • We fixed an issue where MsMpEng.exe might unexpectedly use a high number of disk I/Os per second for a long time.
  • We fixed an issue where WerFault.exe might spike to 50%+ CPU for an unexpectedly long time.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous flight where touch and pen weren’t working on the non-primary display. This might also have resulted in mouse, touch, and pen input not happening in the right place after an orientation change or when using a non-native aspect ratio.
  • We fixed an issue when using the Arabic touch keyboard where pressing Ctrl wouldn’t show the directional markers on the Shift keys.
  • We fixed an issue where the emoji panel search wasn’t working in desktop (Win32) apps.
  • We fixed an issue where the input flyout wouldn’t appear the first time you pressed WIN + Space.
  • We fixed an issue where the OneNote app wasn’t being included in Cortana’s ”Pick up where I left off” notifications.
  • We fixed an issue on certain PCs where using the fingerprint scanner wouldn’t wake the PC up from Connected Standby.
  • We fixed an issue where you might show as connected to the network, but you wouldn’t actually be connected to use the Internet.
  • We fixed an issue where in certain cases USB devices with unreliable connections might cause bugchecks (GSOD) on PCs.
  • We fixed two issues that could result in some PCs bugchecking (GSOD) when entering into Connected Standby. If you had a laptop that encountered this, the experience would have been that you’d open your laptop and unexpectedly be logging into a new session, rather than continuing the one open before closing the lid.
  • We fixed an issue where some Bluetooth devices weren’t working and Device Manager showing error 43 for those drivers.

Known issues:

• When users try to create a Microsoft Edge InPrivate window from inside a Mixed Reality headset, a regular window will get created instead. Users won’t be able to use InPrivate inside Mixed Reality in this build. InPrivate on desktop is not affected.
  • We’re preparing for the inclusion of OpenSSH Server as a deployment mechanism in Developer Mode. However the UI code got checked in ahead of the components, and so while there is a “Use OpenSSH (Beta) for remote deployment” switch in the UI under Settings, it won’t work, and turning it on will break remote deployment to that device until the switch is turned off.
  • When you open Task View immediately after an upgrade, Timeline may not be visible. If you encounter this, wait 15-30 minutes and try launching Task View again.
  • The Windows Defender icon is missing from the systray, even if it shows as enabled in Settings.
  • Certain devices may hang on the boot screen after upgrading. If this happens to you, go into the BIOS and disable virtualization.
  • Apps that come preinstalled with Windows may fail to update in the Store with error 0x80073CF9.
  • Audio playback from Microsoft Edge is sometimes unexpectedly muted. A workaround is to minimize Edge, count to three, and then unminimize.
  • Upgrading to 17063 or later builds sometimes causes Settings / Privacy / Microphone, Camera, etc. to flip to “disabled”, which breaks camera and microphone access. A workaround is to manually turn them back on.

Read more, especially on the new features 'cause I just did a summary here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/01/11/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17074-pc/#w7cOyqEhqQkxIJbz.97

33 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

<Snipped>

• Settings got a mass number of Sound option, including per app sound level and SOURCE selection. So you can say which output each app should go through
Spoiler

Capture.PNG.9180fe38b5df4a032cc21250bea734b6.PNG

<Snipped>

Finally we are getting source control built-in through the standard UI, this is something that I have been waiting about a decade for. I wonder if this also means that an update to the volume mixer pop-out is now in queue?

• 2 weeks later...

New Build! Build 17083

Includes mostly bug fixed, and something new: Diagnostic Data Viewer.

A viewer of the telemetry data being collected

2e210a830bfa1c252f8ff82c2557c95f.jpg

In addition, it includes:

• Font Settings and Fonts in the Microsoft Store
  • "Clear all" for a specific day option added to the Timeline (just right-click and pick the Clear option)
  • Quiet Hours is now called Focus Assist, and you can switch between 3 modes from the task bar right-click menu:
    de23fe48dfaee6de3e919ee1329aaf20.png

• If you have Sets, it will now disappear, as MS is working in polishing the OS for official release. The feature will return once it is developed further in future update (so,  RS5 I guess)

Bugs fixes and improvements:

• We fixed an issue for those using Start menu with the all apps list hidden, where Start would crash if you clicked on one of the all apps list headers, changed the width of Start’s tile grid, then went back to the all apps list.
  • We fixed an issue where clicking on a toast notification might take multiple tries since a single pixel drag initiated a swipe and resulting in the click being ignored.
  • We fixed a high hitting reliability issue from recent flights resulting in explorer.exe potentially crashing if you dragged a Microsoft Edge tab from its window then put it back.
  • We fixed an issue where the lock screen background would be lost after restart if “Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen” was turned off.
  • We fixed an issue where the login screen over remote desktop would be blank instead of showing a password prompt in recent builds after waking the host from sleep.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Start not having the Reveal effect in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue where the all apps list in Start would become offset if you exited tablet mode while the all apps list was zoomed out to show only the headers.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Uninstall, Share, and Rate & Review verbs not working from a UWP app’s context menu in Start in the previous flight.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Store title bar overlapping the rest of the Store app when in tablet mode in the last two flights.
  • With the recent redesign of Cortana’s Notebook, we’re shifting to use that as the primary entrance for Cortana’s lists, and removing the entry point for lists from Cortana’s navigation pane.
  • We’ve updated Windows Defender’s systray context menu to now use the modern style.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in rendering artifacts in the Clock and Calendar flyout when transparency was enabled.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in Windows getting stuck on the rebooting screen for a long time.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings would crash if you tried to change the state of the microphone or camera permissions in Privacy Settings.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings would crash if you opened the notification settings for an app that had a notification waiting in the Action Center.
  • We fixed an issue where Lock Screen Settings would crash if the “Force a specific default lock screen and logon image” group policy was set.
  • We fixed an issue from recent flights where Settings might crash when navigating to “Email and App accounts”.
  • We fixed an issue where Shared Experiences Settings took a really long time to load (30+ seconds).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in microphone and camera settings in Privacy settings flipped to deny all device access after upgrading to recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Update Settings might show a red exclamation mark, but no text explaining why there was an alert.
  • We fixed an issue where the width of the list of updates in Windows Update Settings would fluctuate as you scrolled it.
  • We’ve made some tweaks to the Video Playback Settings page.
  • We’ve made the decision to remove the recently added Keyboard Settings page under Settings > Time & Language and will consider returning it in a future release. If you’d like to add another keyboard to your language, you can do this as before from the Region & Language Settings page by selecting the language you wish to add to. Advanced keyboard settings (including overriding your default keyboard and emoji panel settings) are still available – the link to this page has been moved to Settings > Devices > Typing.
  • Update and Shutdown is now available again as an option if you click the power button in Start when there’s an update pending.
  • We fixed an upgrade issue resulting in a “Path Not found” error on “Staging apps on CreateMetadataDirectory” in the upgrade logs of you’d installed an app from the Store before upgrading and had moved it to a secondary drive (an option in Apps & Features Settings). If you were impacted by this issue upgrade would still succeed, however the app wouldn’t work after upgrading.
  • We fixed an issue where the back button in Windows Defender Security Center would be invisible if you opened WDSC through a link in Settings.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the GraphicsPerfSvc service sometimes using an unexpectedly high amount of CPU in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue from the last two builds resulting in apps that came preinstalled with Windows potentially failing to update in the Store with error 0x80073CF9.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the copy action in Photos only working the first time it’s used.
  • We fixed an issue where the embedded handwriting panel and the handwriting panel might show at the same time.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the handwriting panel unexpectedly appearing recently when tapping or panning certain win32 text areas.
  • We fixed an issue where the numeric keypad of the touch keyboard didn’t work in certain password fields found on the web.
  • We fixed an issue where using a child key on the Greek or Czech touch keyboard layouts to input accented keys wouldn’t work.
  • We fixed an issue where the Emoji Panel’s Most Frequently Used section wasn’t updating.
  • We fixed an issue where the Emoji Panel would close after a single emoji was entered in certain apps even if the option to enter multiple emoji at once was selected.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in two finger scrolling using touch or mouse not working Word 2016 in the last two flights.
  • We fixed an issue where running Magnifier with bitmap smoothing enabled and then closing Magnifier could result in text now appearing blurry, or the PC suddenly becoming slow/laggy.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous flight where the Windows Defender icon might be missing from the systray, even if it showed as enabled in Settings. We also fixed an issue from the last two flights where the icon unexpectedly showed a warning even though no warning was visible once you opened the app.
  • We fixed an issue where when opening Task View immediately after an upgrade you might need to wait 15-30 minutes before Timeline was visible.
  • We fixed two issues impacting Timeline reliability.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge not creating Timeline activities if used immediately after login.
  • We fixed an issue where PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge on the previous flight would appear off to the right instead of centered.
  • We fixed a high impact issue resulting in Microsoft Edge launch failures in the last two flights.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Microsoft Edge title bar sometimes being the wrong color.
  • Thank you everyone who shared their thoughts on the updates made to the Microsoft Yahei font – we’ve made the decision to return the font to its Fall Creators Update state while take your feedback into consideration.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in certain devices hitting a bug check (GSOD) with error System Service Exception on the last two builds.
  • We fixed an issue with Linux containers on Windows using Docker Community Edition for Windows (edge) on many machines. The docker pull or docker run commands will fail with an error “Not enough memory resources are available to complete this operation”.

Known issues:

• If you have a VPN client installed via the Microsoft Store, it won’t work after upgrading to this build. If you require your VPN client to work – you might consider holding off taking this new build.
  • If you install a font product from the Microsoft Store, then later install a new build (feature update), the Store package will remain installed, but the fonts within the package are not installed. Until this is fixed, the temporary workaround is to uninstall the product from the Apps page in Settings, then re-acquire the product from the Store.
  • When users try to create a Microsoft Edge InPrivate window from inside a Mixed Reality headset, a regular window will get created instead. Users won’t be able to use InPrivate inside Mixed Reality in this build. InPrivate on desktop is not affected.
  • We’re preparing for the inclusion of OpenSSH Server as a deployment mechanism in Developer Mode. However, the UI code got checked in ahead of the components, and so while there is a “Use OpenSSH (Beta) for remote deployment” switch in the UI under Settings, it won’t work, and turning it on will break remote deployment to that device until the switch is turned off.
  • Audio playback from Microsoft Edge is sometimes unexpectedly muted. A workaround is to minimize Edge, count to three, and then unminimize.
  • We’re investigating reports that Win32 apps pinned to Start have blank live tiles that show only a name starting with “W~”.
  • We’re investigating an issue where using Task View to switch to an app might result in touch not working properly in that app. If you encounter this, restarting explorer.exe will fix it.
  • The link for “Advanced display settings” is missing in Display Settings. If you need to access this dialog for now you’ll need to open Run and run “rundll32 display.dll,ShowAdapterSettings 0”.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/01/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17083-for-pc/

• 2 weeks later...

:sniff: :sniff:... small that? Hmm yea... a freshly cooked up build!

OOoooohohohohoho... lots of new goodies as welll.... :large sniff:, hmm yea.... excellent!

Build 17093

• Game Bar has a new look, with dark and light theme.
    2cd170db54fb3f8ac880ba4c7048cecf.png
    d088593df8276d0e1ec9912c23f7451c.png

Microsoft also says that they reorganize the settings and buttons (as you can see), to make it easier to use.

• Ability to delete collected diagnostic data from the system
    Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback, you now have the option to delete everything.
    932529be6547c52e3e4880589dbb0203.png

MS notes that the back end web part is not ready yet. But will be before the official release.

• HDR Video support improvements:

Many newer devices are capable of HDR video, but needed to be calibrated in the factory to enable HDR. Now, we are expanding HDR video access to more users via new functionality via Settings > Apps > Video playback. If the “Stream HDR video” toggle can be switched to “On”, your device can be calibrated for HDR video.

To try our experimental calibration tool, click the link “Change calibration settings for HDR video on my built-in display”. This allows you to change the way HDR video appears on your device, allowing you to find your preferred balance between details in dark scenes and details in bright scenes. This tool is still early stage, and we’d love any feedback you might have as we are getting this tool ready for release with RS4.

We are expanding HDR video access to more users via new functionality via Settings > Apps > Video playback. If the "Stream HDR video" toggle can be switched to "On", your device can be calibrated for HDR video.

Note: By default, HDR video uses the full brightness of your screen, so it consumes a little more battery. Fear not: if you want the best of both, just check the box “Don’t increase display brightness when watching HDR video on battery” under “Battery Options” in Settings > Apps > Video playback.

• Multi-GPU support. Windows now has an area in the Settings panel, that allows you to add games or programs (both Win32 and UWP), and pick which GPU you want it to use. The idea of this feature is to have a common area no matter if you use AMD or Nvidia graphic card. Microsoft notes that setting set will override any settings set in AMD or Nvidia control panel.
    51dc97e5190081fa9dda832b39ddc65d.png

• Windows Defender is now Windows Security

• Bluetooth Improvements.

tarting with this build, Windows enables users to start pairing and connecting supported devices in a single click. When these devices are ready to pair and detected to be in range, Windows shows a notification to the user allowing them to quickly and conveniently start the pairing process. We want to thank the Surface Accessories team for partnering closely with us and having the first device available on the market supporting this great new experience, the Surface Precision Mouse. We are working with many other partners to grow the list of supported devices, and a number of them are on the way. To learn more, check out our blog post here.

faea14c3ae1a4c19a0cbf8f441f4b4c0-1024x57

Big fixes and improvements:

• We fixed an issue where the network flyout didn’t have an acrylic background (Yay Fluent Design!).
  • We fixed the issue causing VPN clients installed via the Microsoft Store to not work after upgrading to Build 17083.
  • We fixed an issue where the Home text label was missing from the Settings navigation pane.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Security in Settings was missing an icon in the navigation pane.
  • We fixed an issue where dropdowns in the new App volume and device preferences page under Sound Settings were truncated when the Settings window wasn’t wide enough.
  • We fixed an issue where the new App volume and device preferences page under Sound Settings might have duplicate apps listed.
  • We fixed issues with the slider controls for sound under Settings > System > Sound and “App volume and device preferences”. Thanks @MSWindowsinside, @CrazyCatsGot2 and @TheScarfix for reporting this!
  • We fixed an issue in Windows Update Settings where if you’d selected restart to kick off an upgrade and then canceled the restart, the restart button in Settings would no longer be functional.
  • We fixed an issue where the data limit dialog on the Data Usage Settings page had no margins.
  • We fixed an issue where permissions for inbox apps were cleared out when upgrading to recent builds, resulting in you being unexpectedly re-prompted to enable or disable these permissions when you launched an impacted app.
  • We fixed an issue where the Advanced display settings link was missing from Display Settings.
  • We fixed an issue where going to Focus Assist Settings might crash Settings.
  • We’ve updated the “Use my sign-in info…” text in Sign-in Options settings to be more clear.
  • We fixed an issue where clicking the search entry from the app command menu of certain apps would crash explorer.exe.
  • We fixed an issue where the night light quick action in the Action Center sometimes didn’t work due to a long running calculation of the schedule to automatically turn on/off night light.
  • We’ve updated the Action Center context menu such that the three focus assist states are now collapsed under one expandable entry.
  • We fixed an issue where sharing to Cortana Reminders wasn’t working in recent flights.
  • We’ve updated the OneDrive Files-on-Demand state icon in File Explorer’s navigation pane so they now display closer to the file icon.
  • We fixed an issue where burning an ISO file to CD threw an unexpected error “Selected Disc image file isn’t valid” in recent builds.
  • We’ve updated the People flyout to now use your accent color when “Show accent color” is selected in Color Settings.
  • We have fixed the issue where Win32 apps pinned to Start would display as blank live tiles that show only a name starting with “W~”.
  • We fixed an issue where the Start layout might get reset if you upgraded straight from the Anniversary Update.
  • We have fixed the issue where using Task View to switch to an app might result in touch not working properly in that app.
  • We fixed an issue where using the new right-click options to delete groups of activities from Timeline might not delete the entire group.
  • As we prepare RS4 for release, we’re removing the feedback button in Task View that was introduced for Insiders to give feedback on Timeline – thanks everyone who’s logged feedback so far! We welcome you to continue giving feedback via the Feedback Hub under the Desktop Environment > Timeline category.
  • We fixed an issue where the text label for creating virtual desktops in Task View was truncated in certain languages.
  • We fixed an issue where the app icons in the Open With dialog might appear pixelated on high DPI screens.
  • We fixed an issue where music wouldn’t re-route back to audio peripheral if you skipped to next track before connecting the USB or Bluetooth audio device.
  • We fixed an issue where the Windows.old folder wasn’t completely emptied and removed after cleanup.
  • We fixed an issue where using Ctrl + Alt + Break in Hyper-V didn’t work to make a VM re-enter full screen mode.
  • We fixed an issue where vmconnect couldn’t insert or eject an ISO/DVD drive.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in lower frame rates in games in certain monitor configurations.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in audio from Microsoft Edge sometimes becoming unexpectedly muted in the last few flights.
  • We fixed an issue where when using Microsoft Edge with dark theme the text in the address bar might become black on dark grey.
  • We fixed a number of issues impacting Microsoft Edge reliability in the last few builds.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in opening a new tab in Microsoft Edge in recent builds potentially taking an unexpectedly long time.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge file downloads to secondary drives failing in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in SVG images on certain websites not rendering in Microsoft Edge.
  • When dragging a website from the address bar in Microsoft Edge in order to pin it to the favorites bar, you will now see the favicon and website name follow your mouse as you drag.
  • We fixed an issue from recent builds where content copied to the clipboard using Web Notes in Microsoft Edge couldn’t be pasted.
  • We fixed an issue where certain PDF files wouldn’t display their context menu correctly in Microsoft Edge.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge potentially crashing on launch when using roaming profiles.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to scroll components of certain websites when viewed in Microsoft Edge despite a scrollbar being visible.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to use Flash on certain sites in Microsoft Edge in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge crashing recently if you clicked on the page when in caret mode.
  • We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge in recent builds where clicking on link’s in the ‘Ask Cortana’ sidebar might open the page inside the sidebar instead of the main window.
  • We fixed an issue from the last two builds where certain websites didn’t load in Microsoft Edge, although the name of the website was correct in the tab.
  • We fixed an issue from the last two builds where an unexpected grey rectangle was visible in Microsoft Edge settings next to the word Settings.
  • We fixed an issue from the last build where processes in Task Manager only showed at most 100mb of memory used.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator wouldn’t say anything if you were to use the arrow keys to navigate through text typed into Command Prompt.
  • We fixed an issue an issue where the touch keyboard might be a pixel-width up from the bottom of the screen if the display scaling wasn’t 100%, leading to the keyboard unexpectedly dismissing if you tapped that area.
  • We fixed an issue an issue resulting in the one-handed touch keyboard being unexpectedly large in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue from recently builds where shapewriting in the touch keyboard would stop showing text candidates if you were using it, dismissed the keyboard, re-invoked the keyboard, and tried to start shapewriting again.
  • We fixed an issue from recent builds impacting Emoji Panel invocation reliability.

Known issues

• We have observed seeing longer-than-normal delays during install at the 88% mark. Some delays are as long as 90 minutes before moving forward. Please be patient as the install will complete successfully.
  • Some PCs will fail to resume from hibernate requiring a hard reboot to recover.
  • If you install a font product from the Microsoft Store, then later install a new build (feature update), the Store package will remain installed, but the fonts within the package are not installed. Until this is fixed, the temporary workaround is to uninstall the product from the Apps page in Settings, then re-acquire the product from the Store.
  • If an East Asian keyboard is the only input method on your system the touch keyboard will show an English layout with no IME on/off key. Until this is fixed, the workaround is to add a second keyboard language from the Region & Language Settings page, or to use the IME mode button in the taskbar.
  • We’re investigating an issue where the Japanese IME sometimes can’t turn on in UWP apps. If you encounter this issue switch to a Win32 application (e.g. Notepad), turn the IME on there, then switch back to the UWP app.
  • We’re investigating reports that 3 and 4 finger gestures on the touchpad have become unresponsive starting with the previous flight.
  • Windows Hello will fail to work on Surface Laptops with this build.
  • Plugging in an external optical drive (DVD) will cause an Explorer.exe crash.
  • Settings will crash if you open the Themes Settings page.
  • Buttons on Game bar are not centered correctly.
  • In some games—such as Destiny 2 and Fortnite—mouse and keyboard input will still go to the game while Game bar is open.
  • Selecting a notification after taking a screenshot or game clip opens the Xbox app’s home screen instead of opening the screenshot or game clip.
  • After Game bar closes, the mouse cursor resets to the position it was in when Game bar was opened.
  • Keyboard and mouse input may not work correctly in Game bar when playing a first person game (e.g. Minecraft). Alt+Tab out of and into the game should fix this.
  • In the text box for Mixer stream title, using non-character keys (e.g. Tab, Delete, Backspace, etc.) may cause the game to hang for a few seconds.
  • Bringing up Game bar using the Xbox button on an Xbox One controller doesn’t work in some games.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17093-pc/#0yxv9hEBZwCp6Iw3.97

Build 17101

• Windows 10 Workstation has a new power management mode called: "Ultimate Performance", which aims at reducing micros-latency, giving you more performance out of the system at the expense of efficiency.

• Updated Emojis:
    Before:
    372ea7ad718f8564e6d37e39f8ff51e7.png

After:
    8da3c3292a108f6be4b49e062bd83199.png
  • Emoji search panel (the panel that shows up when you do Win+[.]) now works with more languages.

• Windows App Permissions. A new permission that can be granted for program to allow them access outside of Documents, Pictures, etc. folders.

What's fixed:

• We fixed an issue from the last flight were some PCs failed to resume from hibernate (requiring a hard reboot to recover).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in 3 and 4 finger gestures on the touchpad being unresponsive in the last two flights.
  • We fixed an issue after upgrading to the last flight where Start didn’t work for Insiders who’d had HomeGroup added as a folder to appear on Start.
  • We’ve updated the touch keyboard so that if you try to shapewrite in an unsupported text field or when the typing resources aren’t installed, you won’t see the shapewriting trail as you swipe your finger over the keys.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard showed an English layout with no IME on/off key when an East Asian keyboard is the only input method on your system.
  • We fixed an issue where if you install a font product from the Microsoft Store, then later install a new build (feature update), the Store package will remain installed, but the fonts within the package are not installed. Until this is fixed, the temporary workaround is to uninstall the product from the Apps page in Settings, then re-acquire the product from the Store.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard might stop invoking automatically after locking the PC and then unlocking the PC by using the touch keyboard to enter your PIN or password.
  • We fixed an issue where the Japanese IME sometimes wouldn’t turn on correctly.
  • We fixed an issue where the floating dictation UI could be unexpectedly tiny.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in the mouse cursor suddenly jump to screen corner while mouse was moving in a List Control.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in tabs hanging and not loading content recently in Microsoft Edge after using the browser for a few days with an adblocker enabled.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in newly installed Microsoft Edge extensions not appearing in the Extensions pane in the last two flights.
  • We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where favicons in light theme were unexpectedly getting black backgrounds.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in UWP apps sometimes launching as small white rectangular boxes.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in certain fingerprint readers not working in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Hello failed to work on Surface Laptops with the last build.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in the labels for files on the desktop overlapping their icons.
  • We’re updating the “Advanced graphics settings” link on the Display Settings page to now just say “Graphics Settings”.
  • When your volume is muted, the volume icons in the Sound Settings page will also now appear muted.
  • If you click the Reset button on the App volume and device preferences page, it will now also reset any app specific volumes you’ve set back to default (100%).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in app updates failing in the Microsoft Store with error 0x80070057 in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in app updates failing in the Microsoft Store with error 0x803FB005 in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue where bringing up Game bar using the Xbox button on an Xbox One controller didn’t work in some games.
  • We fixed an issue where in the text box for the Mixer stream title using non-character keys (e.g. Tab, Delete, Backspace, etc.) might cause the game to hang for a few seconds.
  • We fixed an issue where keyboard and mouse input might not work correctly in the Game bar when playing a first person game (e.g. Minecraft).
  • We fixed an issue where in some games—such as Destiny 2 and Fortnite—mouse and keyboard input would still go to the game while Game bar was open.
  • We fixed an issue during first shutdown/boot, or reboot, where for some users the device goes into a boot loop and the OS never loads.

Known issues:

• We have observed seeing longer-than-normal delays during install at the 88% mark. Some delays are as long as 90 minutes before moving forward. Please be patient as the install will complete successfully.
  • Selecting a notification after taking a screenshot or game clip opens the Xbox app’s home screen instead of opening the screenshot or game clip.

Microsoft says that they are nearing the release of Windows 10 RS4, and so the focus now is on bug fixes and polish, and not new features.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17101-fast-build-17604-skip-ahead/#uMw76lkfofXMW3AW.97

Redstone 5! For those who joined or can join today (limited space), for Skip Ahead branch, a new Build awaits you: Build 17604
This build is less stable than Fast Ring branch which are on Redstone 4 (Build 17101 now), and contains no new features visible to Insider as of yet. But runs on Redstone 5 code base.

What's improved:

• We fixed an issue from the last flight were some PCs failed to resume from hibernate (requiring a hard reboot to recover).
  • We fixed an issue after upgrading to the last flight where Start didn’t work for Insiders who’d had HomeGroup added as a folder to appear on Start.
  • We’ve updated the touch keyboard so that if you try to shapewrite in an unsupported text field or when the typing resources aren’t installed, you won’t see the shapewriting trail as you swipe your finger over the keys.
  • Fixed an issue which may have caused a Microsoft Edge tab to crash after playing video when some extensions are enabled
  • We fixed an issue resulting in newly installed Microsoft Edge extensions not appearing in the Extensions pane in the last two flights.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard showed an English layout with no IME on/off key when an East Asian keyboard is the only input method on your system.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in the mouse cursor suddenly jump to screen corner while mouse was moving in a List Control.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in certain fingerprint readers not working in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Hello failed to work on Surface Laptops with the last build.
  • We’re updating the “Advanced graphics settings” link on the Display Settings page to now just say “Graphics Settings”.
  • When your volume is muted, the volume icons in the Sound Settings page will also now appear muted.
  • If you click the Reset button on the App volume and device preferences page, it will now also reset any app specific volumes you’ve set back to default (100%).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in app updates failing in the Microsoft Store with error 0x80070057 in recent builds.

Known Issues:

• 3 and 4 finger gestures on the touchpad are unresponsive.
  • The Japanese IME sometimes can’t turn on in UWP apps. If you encounter this issue switch to a Win32 application (e.g. Notepad), turn the IME on there, then switch back to the UWP app.
  • Bringing up Game bar using the Xbox button on an Xbox One controller doesn’t work in some games.
  • In the text box for Mixer stream title, using non-character keys (e.g. Tab, Delete, Backspace, etc.) may cause the game to hang for a few seconds.
  • In some games—such as Destiny 2 and Fortnite—mouse and keyboard input will still go to the game while Game bar is open.
  • Keyboard and mouse input may not work correctly in Game bar when playing a first person game (e.g. Minecraft). Alt + Tab out of and into the game should fix this.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17101-fast-build-17604-skip-ahead/#uMw76lkfofXMW3AW.97

Wait! There is more:
Introducing the Windows App Preview Program

For those on the Fast, Slow or Release Preview rings of Windows 10 Insider Preview program, you now get apps that Redstone 5 users have (or will have), without having to be on that branch and have a very unstable experience.

Microsoft says:

We’re making it easier to try out the latest app updates with Insider Preview builds with the new Windows App Preview Program. We heard feedback from Windows Insiders that having to opt-in to Skip Ahead to receive the latest app updates wasn’t ideal as it required Insiders to also be on super-early and sometimes unstable builds of the OS. Insiders told us they wanted to be able to try out the latest app updates but be on the latest Insider Preview builds from the Fast, Slow, and Release Preview rings

However, it is not all the app, as of yet, it is only for the following:

• Feedback Hub
  • Microsoft Photos
  • Microsoft Sticky Notes
  • Microsoft Tips
  • Paint 3D
  • Windows Alarms & Clock
  • Windows Calculator
  • Windows Camera
  • Windows Mixed Reality Viewer
  • Windows Voice Recorder

To join in, simply go to: Settings or About page of the app listed above, and click the “Join preview”. You need to do it for each app you want to jump in.

You'll also have the option to Leave preview program

Example, you'll see this:
653e71adbad0d404db97666a085e0951.png

Those on Skip Ahead are auto joined to these app releases.

Source:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17101-fast-build-17604-skip-ahead/#CyUIHXmsdUh8lRkK.97

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 Workstation has a new power management mode called: "Ultimate Performance", which aims at reducing micros-latency, giving you more performance out of the system at the expense of efficiency.

Actually find this to be a bit interesting...  Besides the wonderful naming scheme of Ultimate Performance, it should be interesting to see how much more Ultimate any performance truly is and what is the energy/thermal expense that you are getting that at.  Next question is since they will have an Ultimate Performance, how do they one up it?  Can we get a Supreme Ultimate Performance? 

On 2/15/2018 at 6:21 PM, WMGroomAK said:

Actually find this to be a bit interesting...  Besides the wonderful naming scheme of Ultimate Performance, it should be interesting to see how much more Ultimate any performance truly is and what is the energy/thermal expense that you are getting that at.  Next question is since they will have an Ultimate Performance, how do they one up it?  Can we get a Supreme Ultimate Performance? 

I highly doubt it will show anything beside a few points in benchmark software. I mean it is probably designed for systems that only have their fans at full speed all the time, like servers and, well, workstations. And designed to run heavy loads all the time, and you try to get every drop of performance. Might be 1-2fps difference in real world for us, gaming performance boost. That is my guess.