Let's Talk: Windows 10

GoodBytes

Today was a very exciting. Microsoft announced the next gen version of Windows, called Windows 10.

Windows 10 is aimed to be the OS for all kinds of devices, whether be smart phones, tablet, laptop or desktop.

The OS has learned A LOT from Windows 8 experience.

From what was showed today, was just the tip of the iceberg of what is coming with Windows 10.

Windows 10 Preview lunches tomorrow, on October 1st.

New-Experimental-Tab-1-640x451.png

Windows 10 follows a new strategy that Microsoft will follow. Direct feedback, during the development.

Microsoft will setup tomorrow (Oct 1st) a forum, to collect constructive criticism, and user feedback. It will include a feedback button accessible from the Start Menu, and collect near live telemetry data from it's users of this in development version.

windows10_tech-preview_virtual-desktop-1

Windows 10 will develop, polish, and improve in the users eyes during the development period, and feedback will shape the OS.

Microsoft is aiming to make the best version of Windows yet. An OS that runs perfectly everywhere. Developers can do 1 app, and will run on any Windows powered device, thanks to the Universal App technology. Meaning an App (Modern App) will run on the desktop, smartphone, tablet, and XBox One running Windows 10.

If you missed the event, you can see it here:

Microsoft also explain that the goal of Windows 10 is to offer new feature and help novice users to pass to intermediate ones, and intermediate ones to advance ones.

Tech-Preview_Three-program-snap-and-sugg

What was showed, was the new Start Menu, which has both Win32 applications and Modern Apps, and is customizable. You can even scale the start menu like a window. You can search as before from it with web results like Windows 8, and has the power button directly on it. Modern Apps now runs in a window, and can be scaled and snapped on the side. Virtual Desktop was also showed, new Alt+Tab, how Alt+Tab is actually smart with virtual desktop environment, and that you now snap windows not only side by side, like in Windows 7, but you can have 4 windows on your screen, where you can snap top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom right. And that occurs with the help of the cool features called Snap Assists (view video above to see it's about what, and see it in action)

Tech-Preview_Task-view.png

In addition, Microsoft showed how you can copy, paste, select text from the command prompt, something was missing for years and years. Definitely a feature that will please the most advance Windows users.

Cortana will also be fully integrated in Windows 10. While not showed on the presentation, it is a feature that is expected.

Leak builds also showed that the OS will have a currently basic notification center. The Charm bar is still there. As explained in the video they experimented by removing it, but internal tested and feedback, resulted in them to put it back, as it was find to be very practical. However, it is expected to be changed, as they explained.

Tech-Preview_Virtual-desktop.png

Tech-Preview_Start-menu.png

windows-search.jpeg

Windows 10 build tomorrow, as explained by Microsoft, will be very ruff experience. As you can see from the video, animations are missing and things aren't polished, and might be buggy. But, that is what Microsoft will work on, and release new features over time.

Microsoft will announce Enterprise focused features, and improvements later this year, and Consumer-level/End-User features sometime in 2015.

For now, it is very much Windows 8, with the showcased features.

So, what do you think about Microsoft direction for Windows 10? Do you think Windows 10 will be the next Windows 7? Do you think that this new super early build (aka: nightly builds, practically), is the way to go for Microsoft? Or do you think some vocal people will ruined the OS?

What features would you like to see in Windows 10?

For me, i think this is great direction for the company, as long as people post their feedback on the correct location (forum and/or feedback tool in Windows 10, and not on the forum or comments section of a blog site only). In addition, the near live telemetry data system of the preview builds, will allow Microsoft to make proper decision in shaping features of the OS, and polish the user experience better. I just hope that people won't opt out, if there is such option. As it would lead in Microsoft get incorrect information, and base decision on that, and people wont be happy and complain. Telemetry data collection is nothing new for Microsoft. It is in Windows since XP (if I am not mistaken). Microsoft collect more detailed telemetry data and frequently on preview builds of Windows. Retail release telemetry data is very abstract and general. It's more to see which feature/programs from Windows it is being used or not, and that makes the company decide what needs to be worked on to improve, stay the same or removed.

What I would love to see in Windows 10 is:

-> New registry editor. Complete with address bar, back button and easy backup/restore system.

-> No more old panels from Windows 95 days, and no more old legacy icons.

-> Color managed Windows shell (task bar, windows boarder, Modern UI apps)

-> Per volume Modern App control, like desktop apps.

-> Unified or duplicate Control Panel.

-> Update Device manager for easier navigation, and better understand Unknown devices, what they are.

-> Disk Manager made smarter, and more powerful, like other disk partitioning software.

-> Fix networking share folder. I am annoyed that every time I turn on my laptop, and try connect to a shared folder on my desktop, it unable to connect. And After several tries, it works by putting the \\<computer name> on the address bar. It should work directly. It just discovered the devices, why does it take forever to establish connection?

-> Return of Wireless connection manager

-> Faster Windows Update process

And you? Or what do you think about my suggestions?

(images source; http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/windows-10-in-pictures-a-new-start-menu-puts-focus-back-on-the-desktop/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+(Ars+Technica+-+All+content)#image-11)

im definitely going to try it! its coming at the perfect time, im reinstalling my OS tomorrow (new ssd! :D) if its stable enough ill probably use it as a daily driver :)

it looks much improved with my complaints on win8 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

they skiped a number congrats to them

Because of the good-bad-good-bad pattern i guess :P

Windows 7 good

Windows 8/8.1 bad

windows 9 BAD

WINDOWS 10 GREAT!

(unless 8.1 was technically 9, then we're in trouble)

(I done hate windows 8/8.1, it's just a generalization i see from a lot of people)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

What's with companies skipping a generation in their naming schemes these days? Looks promising, but I hope Microsoft doesn't try to push gamers from PC to xbox one. (if they don't want pc gamers: give us a better option)

they skiped a number congrats to them

Probably due to the jokes being made on Windows 9 already. I think Microsoft wanted to avoid an "XBone" situation.

Also, it's just a name. Who really cares.

Probably due to the jokes being made on Windows 9 already. I think Microsoft wanted to avoid an "XBone" situation.

Also, it's just a name. Who really cares.

maybe they dont want to be so predictable, maybe the next windows will be win17

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

They stole the whole new desktops thing from OSX and linux but w/e. Also when is windows going to have a proper terminal AHHH RAGE

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Windows 8.1: Start Menu Edition doesn't interest me. I've stuck with 7 after hating 8, and will only upgrade once DX12 launches, so I can get full support. Luckily I only deal with Windows when I game; I use OS X for the rest.

Also, fuck them for skipping a number. Who are they, Nvidia?

snap

I like it, don't get me wrong, but I much rather prefer Windows 8.1 over it. Just because of the UI. "What do you mean? THEY'RE BASICALLY THE SAME."

No they're not.

With luck it's just the beta build, but there are no open/close/(minimize?) animations, which I like since it makes me feel as though I'm not using XP. There need to be pretty animations (including in the Expose thing and alt+tab).

I want there to be shortcuts for that Expose thing. I don't want stuff on my taskbar other than my web browser, file explorer, and WMP.

I also want to just keep the start screen, even with a keyboard and mouse.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I like it, don't get me wrong, but I much rather prefer Windows 8.1 over it. Just because of the UI. "What do you mean? THEY'RE BASICALLY THE SAME."

No they're not.

With luck it's just the beta build, but there are no open/close/(minimize?) animations, which I like since it makes me feel as though I'm not using XP. There need to be pretty animations (including in the Expose thing and alt+tab).

I want there to be shortcuts for that Expose thing. I don't want stuff on my taskbar other than my web browser, file explorer, and WMP.

I also want to just keep the start screen, even with a keyboard and mouse.

Win+Tab is my guess the keyboard shortcut for the Virtual Desktop/app switch

Win+Tab is my guess the keyboard shortcut for the Virtual Desktop/app switch

Good point. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it would make sense, since they removed the old app switcher and put this one in. I still stand behind my pretty animations. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I guess all the windows nein jokes got to them...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Skip every 2nd Windows; Rule of thumb. Windows 10 is buyable so I'll upgrade. I should ba abled to get SSD space only for my PC until it releases so i have to format anyway and Win9 will be a welcome upgrade.

who cares...

I dont like the flat window design, its like coloured paper if u know what i mean. I love "transparent windows/ see through borders" and I really hope its gonna be in W10.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

That VM its ready for tomorrow.

Hope Microsoft addresses problems like Alt-tab slow response/crashes on programs running on full-screen mode.

And on the windows store side don't just include metro apps and in addition, add something like "classics apps" to install, update and buy normal desktop applications from the same store, instead of all the non sense on their "app store".

that. looks. so. good.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

I already had windows 8.1 genuine so will i get update for 10 or i had to buy separately !!

Why isn't there a option "No, it still looks like crap, I'm staying with windows 7 FOR LIFE" in the pool? Because that's what I'm gonna to do. It seems they'll be sticking with the flat design, which is terrible. Especially in excel, where you don't know what's a text and what is a button. Not to mention that it's super UGLY! I HATE THIS! LET IT DIE! FLAT DESIGN NEEDS TO DIE! (Seriously M$, fire the idiot designer who designed the whole thing, if there even is a designer...)

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Can I set a .gif as the background and have it actually move for fucks sake?

.......that is really all I care about.

Why isn't there a option "No, it still looks like crap, I'm staying with windows 7 FOR LIFE" in the pool? Because that's what I'm gonna to do. It seems they'll be sticking with the flat design, which is terrible. Especially in excel, where you don't know what's a text and what is a button. Not to mention that it's super UGLY! I HATE THIS! LET IT DIE! FLAT DESIGN NEEDS TO DIE! (Seriously M$, fire the idiot designer who designed the whole thing, if there even is a designer...)

You mean the whole "not having borders around shit" design? I blame apple for that, it pisses me off as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs