Help me convince my friend he doesn't need an i7

Juggernautilus

My friend has been planning to buy a PC for quite some while. No matter what I say, he refuses to drop his i7 for a cheaper one. The reason I want him to do that is because he spends so much on the CPU, that the other parts are not being looked at and he will probably never use the power of an i7 anyways.

I am giving him options of i5 4670k, FX-8350 or even a Fx-6300. Yet he refuses to buy any of them. He will be using a GTX 770 or 970 if it is ever available here.

He is planning to buy only 4 gigs of RAM, NO cpu cooler, shitty case and low end motherboard just because he will not have the money after a 320 euro CPU.

Please help me convince him!

What games does he play?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

just tell him hes an idiot and stop making him switch, its his pc, he'll learn out of his mistakes

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Just tell him to get a 4690k 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Tell him if he buys the i7 and doesn't focus on the other parts of his system it will blow up (Its happened to me with a i7 3770K and a piss poor PSU), and he will lose all of his money, because they don't cover damage like it under warranty. 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

i recommend he buys a i7 if he has more than one monitor and watches streams and youtube while gaming.. i regret buying only a i5 because of this, when gaming my cpu is running at 98% and only 60-70% of this goes to the game... tho if he buys 4gb of ram well then.. :P there are some other issues there

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

What games does he play?

Idk, I suppose all the AAA titles, he hasn't had a good PC so I can't really tell.

I /was/ prepared to chew you out a bit to imply you knew more than what he was going to use the system for..until:

He is planning to buy only 4 gigs of RAM, NO cpu cooler, shitty case and low end motherboard just because he will not have the money after a 320 euro CPU.

Anyone who is only going to use/plan around 4GB of ram these days are not going to be doing anything deserving of the i7. This seems more like a budget gaming build with those specs with the CPU being really off-balance. i7 is more for workloads. Workstations with i7s are going to have way more than only 4GB of ram. Personally I find 8GB not enough and  have 16GB in my own system. This computer is going to be very unbalanced with a wasted CPU not being used to its full potential.

i recommend he buys a i7 if he has more than one monitor and watches streams and youtube while gaming.. i regret buying only a i5 because of this, when gaming my cpu is running at 98% and only 60-70% of this goes to the game... tho if he buys 4gb of ram well then.. :P there are some other issues there

wait. So I won't be able to watch youtube or have a streaming radio going on another monitor whilst gaming with my 4690k?

DAMNIT

Anyways, OP, tell him he won't be able to play that many games with such a small amount of ram, and his precious I7 will not lost long with a stock cooler (do those even come with one?) still. He's an idiot, tell him to get on here with his budget, and someone will come up with a way better build than he will.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

wait. So I won't be able to watch youtube or have a streaming radio going on another monitor whilst gaming with my 4690k?

DAMNIT

you will, i do with tons of things, BUT there has to be some kinda of damage to my FPS or other loading issues when my game gets limited by how many things my CPU can do, if my cpu only ran at 90% then fine, now it runs at 98-100% when playing demanding games :/and the game only gets 60% of it :/ 

tho other things to consider chrome uses 6gigs of my ram to :P

you will, i do with tons of things, BUT there has to be some kinda of damage to my FPS or other loading issues when my game gets limited by how many things my CPU can do, if my cpu only ran at 90% then fine, now it runs at 98-100% when playing demanding games :/and the game only gets 60% of it :/ 

Shit, you've got a better gpu than me as well. All I want is to be able to play single player games with the radio or youtube or something like that on another screen. Doubt my 660 will take that very well lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My friend has been planning to buy a PC for quite some while. No matter what I say, he refuses to drop his i7 for a cheaper one. The reason I want him to do that is because he spends so much on the CPU, that the other parts are not being looked at and he will probably never use the power of an i7 anyways.

I am giving him options of i5 4670k, FX-8350 or even a Fx-6300. Yet he refuses to buy any of them. He will be using a GTX 770 or 970 if it is ever available here.

datori.dataleks.lv ir jau 980/970

Sastāsti šim daudz ko neīstu (protams, ja viņš neko nezin par pc), ka i7 ir slikti priekš spēlēm, utt.

Shit, you've got a better gpu than me as well. All I want is to be able to play single player games with the radio or youtube or something like that on another screen. Doubt my 660 will take that very well lol

I remember my 670 i have behind me in my old computer and its i7 960, did just fine, never filling the cpu :( i miss it when i had headroom in cpu

well if he has no knowledge about PC's and he just goes with "the best out there" there isnt much you can do. you could show him benchmarks with an i5 4690k (or AMD equivalent) and an i7 and show him the difference 

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

Tell him Akali will devour his soul if he buys an i7.

In all honestly its his money if he wants to be a dope with it so be it.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

well he just ordered it. didn't even bother to get a GPU because appereantly the Intel HD chip is good enough. 

He shouldn't be so, so, I cant even find a word for it. I was looking at buying PC parts a long time ago, and I wanted an r9 280x, and wanted a crappy mobo, case, psu, etc JUST to get that. In the long run, I decided that I should get an R9 270x and get an i5-4440. Just tell him that he should pick either one, but it'll be his fault when his PC isn't sufficient enough.

PC SETUP: | i5-4440 3.1 GHz | MSI Z97s Krait | EVGA GTX 970 | G.Skill Value 8GB | WDC Blue 500GB | NZXT S340

MOBILE SETUP: | Apple iPhone 6 | iOS 10b4 | Apple Watch Stainless Steel w/ Black Sport Band | WatchOS 3b4

Steam: chargerjake | Origin: chargerjake

Tell him if he plans to use a chip with a gpu incorporatedin it to get the AMD-7850k you can play BF4 with it witg the right Ram 8 GB 2133 MHz it needs the speed and the memory to play the games if he still have money left he couod get a R7 250 and go duel linkit will increase is fps a lot show him Linus as several post on that chip ( the chip is also called Kaveri ) on youtube tell him lets do some reasearch on the I7 and say hey I wanna see that one on the Kaveri then say lets seeif theres more of them or something like that .

if he's getting a 770 or 970, it's probably fine.  Sure there are better things to do, but it's not going to be a disaster.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Show him any video at this thread from a bunch of tech savvy people.

Part of the Q6600 club

My friend has an i7 4770 (non-k :/ and bought it when devil's canyon was released..., cause those experts at the stores know everything right) and has some crappy gt 530, 620 or 630 or something along the lines of that...

4gb of ram is simply not enough for most things, I was stuck on 4gb for a few months (put the second stick in the wrong way) and when I was browsing Chrome would randomly freeze for about 10-20 seconds while it was caching to my ssd or hdd. Also, if he wants to start photoshoppin' the same thing will happen.

Most importantly stress that if he gets a crappy PSU, it has the chance to short out possibly multiple components of his system and in the future, when z107 isn't compatible with socket 1150 cause of ddr4, he/she might have to buy both a new motherboard and cpu that he/she spent so much on...

The PSU is one of THE most important parts of your system, make sure it's 80 plus certified and also preferably do some research on it (JonnyGuru is a good site to look at)

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!