Is it worth going from i5 750 to i5 4670k/i7 4770k?

Hello

I have problems with my current motherboard, the audio ports are not functioning as they should, I can't overclock my CPU well, I can't let my RAM run at 1866, I don't have USB3 nor SATA 3 so I think it's time to change it all. Actually, a new motherboard and a new cpu are the last thing to buy since i have bought everything else. At first, i was thinking of buying a i7 4770k but I'm low on cash so the i5 is tempting but I don't want to have to buy a new cpu in 3 years and have a slower CPU, i want something very fast, fluent... Thing is, I mostly play FPS games and i know the CPU gets intensely used when playing with 64 players (BF3, BF4, RO2) or when playing strategic games (COH2, SC2)

I want to go i5 4670k/i7 4770k with a MSI Z87A-G45 gaming

MY rig

i5 750 3.4 ghz (old)

ASUS p5p77D-le (old)

GTX 770 EVGA SuperClocked ACX

Samsung S23A700D 120hz
Corsair AX760i
Noctua NH- U9B SE2
OCZ Vertex 3 120go
Windows 7 64 bits
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8go DDR3 1866
Fractal Design Define XL R2

I just want to have the fastest computer (bootup, games 120hz, browsing, mail, films)

Should i wait for them to get cheaper? Will they?

​Thanks for enlightening me, I'm in the dark here!

You'll get a nice performance boost and lower power consumption. However, some reviewers state that Haswell runs hotter than Ivy Bridge. As if we needed that. But just something to bear in mind, if you decide to buy it.

Here's Elric Phare's review of the 4770K. I know it's not the 4670, but it'll give you some idea of what you should get versus Ivy Bridge.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Should I get the i7 4770k if i don't want to change cpu in 4 years?

I'd stick with the 4670K.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If you get an i5, you certainly wouldn't have to change it after 3-4 years. Would easily last 5-6 years.

Corsair 300r Case with OCZ ZT 750W PSU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor | Asus P8Z77-V LGA1155 Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD | AMD Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card | 2 Acer S220HQL 22" monitors |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3500dpi

You are 3 generations behind, so yes.

Get the 4670k

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

The i7 is also $100 more expensive.

i7 is supported with modern games, so an i5 will over time give you less performance, and HT does a good job at doing other things than gaming, if you are willing to stay 4 years with your chip an i7 would be nice, since, we do not see a big improvement every generation

AMD started the "more cores" war so a lot of developers started making games compatible with more cores so if you want performance for now and future i think an i7 would be great, or maybe wait for AMD steamroller and see how that does, you will get an 8 core for the price of an i5, and that performance will be visible

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Ok so i guess I'll wait until I have more money

I'd personally wait for the next generation. Youre 770 is probably getting bottlenecked but its still giving sold fps so just wait for the next gen.

Also the console games are going to be using 8 cores so getting an FX8350 might also be an idea worth considering as the games will be getting ported over from consoles using an 8 core cpu to pc.

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

I would go with the 4670k and the Asus Z87-A board which is a great budget board for overclocking.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

4670k and any Z87 motherboard, you don't really need anything higher than a 4670k for gaming. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I was literally just about to post the same question with a similar setup. :P

It looks as though people are saying 750>4670K is a worthwhile upgrade which is nice to know.

What if future games support hyper threading 'cause both PS4 and Xbox one have 8-core processor?

Anything from before Sandy Bridge really, an i5-4670K is a nice upgrade.

As for the i7, hyperthreading has been around since the Pentium 4 days and still isn't giving much of an increase in game performance.  Hyperthreading as a technology just isn't very useful to games, the only performance increases that are even noticeable are in i3's when the CPU is really starved for cores, and even then the increase over a dual-core Pentium isn't really noteworthy.  Physical cores give huge increases; hyperthreaded ones almost none.  Even if games start to take advantage of more cores because of the new console architectures, they'll benefit from physical ones, not much from hyperthreaded ones.

Anything from before Sandy Bridge really, an i5-4670K is a nice upgrade.

As for the i7, hyperthreading has been around since the Pentium 4 days and still isn't giving much of an increase in game performance.  Hyperthreading as a technology just isn't very useful to games, the only performance increases that are even noticeable are in i3's when the CPU is really starved for cores, and even then the increase over a dual-core Pentium isn't really noteworthy.  Physical cores give huge increases; hyperthreaded ones almost none.  Even if games start to take advantage of more cores because of the new console architectures, they'll benefit from physical ones, not much from hyperthreaded ones.

Okay, thanks so it's useless to take an i7 4770k If I don't plan on using programs that use hyperthreading? But is the i7 faster for booting up, transferring files, opening up programs, loading web pages?

Okay, thanks so it's useless to take an i7 4770k If I don't plan on using programs that use hyperthreading? But is the i7 faster for booting up, transferring files, opening up programs, loading web pages?

Lol, both are more than capable of handling web browsers and booting computers.  There won't be any difference between the two besides in certain high performance applications, mostly content creation and engineering/workstation type stuff.  Most small system tasks and system responsiveness will be limited by your hard drive.  An SSD will make a huge difference in the things you mentioned (and internet connection, for loading web pages)

I'm in Canada, is that a problem? 

unfortunately the deal is not available in Canada :( 

Definitely go for the 4670K.  It'll be a great upgrade from your 750, and you'll get SATAIII for your SSD as well.  The i7 doesn't do much if you're just gaming.

It probably will hold you for another three CPU generations.  :lol:

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro