Australian Government now has unlimited ability to monitor, access and control any computer as well as jail whisteblowers and more.

This is an outrageous breech of rights and I highly recommend that you sign the "Citizens not Suspects" petition.

First AUS, next USA :(....From the bottom of my heart, thank you AUS government for setting this dangerous president. /s

First AUS, next USA :(....From the bottom of my heart, thank you AUS government for setting this dangerous president. /s

Precedent, I believe, mate.

Has any one checked the particulars of these laws are all you still all reacting to the herald sun et al?

EDIT: I am just starting to make my way through it now and first one is not a new whistle blowers law, it is an existing law that states you are not allowed to make known the identity of ASIO agents, the punishment has been increased to ten years jail. Also while the number of computers they are allowed to search with an initial federal only warrant is limitless, they must be third party. Which indicates they cannot just go randomly searching computers on the internet but that the computers are part of a communications network like a web ring or email chain. 

More to come as I wade through it.

EDIT: this one looks like it could be the worst:

introduce a delayed notification search warrant scheme—with appropriate safeguards and limits—to allow a search warrant to be executed without the knowledge of the occupier of the premises to ensure suspects are not immediately alerted to the investigation

A federal court still has to issue the warrant, however they can do it without the knowledge of the person being searched. 

from what I can tell the safeguard is that ASIO/federal police have to prove a terrorist link before the warrant will be issued.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

snip

It appears you big pretty pictures is a little sensationalist.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Has any one checked the particulars of these laws are all you still all reacting to the herald sun et al?

EDIT: I am just starting to make my way through it now and first one is not a new whistle blowers law, it is an existing law that states you are not allowed to make known the identity of ASIO agents, the punishment has been increased to ten years jail. Also while the number of computers they are allowed to search with an initial federal only warrant is limitless, they must be third party. Which indicates they cannot just go randomly searching computers on the internet but that the computers are part of a communications network like a web ring or email chain. 

More to come as I wade through it.

EDIT: this one looks like it could be the worst:

A federal court still has to issue the warrant, however they can do it without the knowledge of the person being searched. 

from what I can tell the safeguard is that ASIO/federal police have to prove a terrorist link before the warrant will be issued.

As someone who as far as I know has no relation to any terrorism, it appears I've got nothing to worry about, right?

I mean, there might be an incident where I smile as I walk past some guy whilst I'm walking and he ends up blowing a building, they'll investigate me on suspicion but at that point, what are they going to find? That I'm not related, so even on the off chance I pop up on some radar, it'll be coincidence.

Seems like more and more that these things everyone is making out to be the worst thing ever really isn't. I mean, I'd rather this and be able to walk through my city without having to worry about being stabbed, shot or blown up just because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All we need now is to rid the scene and emo kids off the Flinders' step and I'll finally be comfortable enough to travel into Melbourne more often.

As someone who as far as I know has no relation to any terrorism, it appears I've got nothing to worry about, right?

I mean, there might be an incident where I smile as I walk past some guy whilst I'm walking and he ends up blowing a building, they'll investigate me on suspicion but at that point, what are they going to find? That I'm not related, so even on the off chance I pop up on some radar, it'll be coincidence.

Seems like more and more that these things everyone is making out to be the worst thing ever really isn't. I mean, I'd rather this and be able to walk through my city without having to worry about being stabbed, shot or blown up just because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All we need now is to rid the scene and emo kids off the Flinders' step and I'll finally be comfortable enough to travel into Melbourne more often.

The reality is that ASIO and the federal police have much better things to do with their time than start spying on random Australians.  They simply do not have the inclination (let alone the time) to randomly accuse someone of terrorist activity and then try to lock them up without trial.

The things that we should be worried about are things that are stored, for example meta data, Because that is stored permanently, so if something happens to you in the future (innocent or not) then authorities can go back over it to make a case, even if the data is mostly irrelevant.  Or use bots to scour the data for search terms/phrases that may make you a suspect through returning a false positive. 

As far as the proposed amendments go, they do tend to the wary side of things, however they are not new and manly remove bureaucracy from the system allowing authorities to act quicker on information rather than tip off the suspect in a mess of red tape and court orders.

Of course the last thing that we should be worried about with these new amendments is that we don't piss off ASIO agents or federal police, you all know what happened to Ned Kelly. These laws just make it easier for history to repeat itself.

hmph, you need to reread the whole original. An armed rebellion is to be met with swift and total overwhelming force to the point of absolute annihilation. Washington led such n attack on his own people. Do you really think it would be impossible now? If you don't like your country, change it or go find one you like better.

because the ~15 killed and 160 imprisoned temporarily, and 10 hung was such a swift and overwhelming annihilation... ohwait. 

Jesus, so you're saying the rebellion was short lived, dis-jointed to the extreme and the only deaths were from the first few major gatherings? with the ONLY time a federal army was gathered everything ended peacefully? oh ok =)

This is an outrageous breech of rights and I highly recommend that you sign the "Citizens not Suspects" petition.

if you sign that you'll be placed on a watch-list and become a suspected terrorist. Best get out of the country asap if you don't like what it's doing.

because the ~15 killed and 160 imprisoned temporarily, and 10 hung was such a swift and overwhelming annihilation... ohwait. 

Jesus, so you're saying the rebellion was short lived, dis-jointed to the extreme and the only deaths were from the first few major gatherings? with the ONLY time a federal army was gathered everything ended peacefully? oh ok =)

I don't know where you got your numbers, but from what I've read, of the 800 or so involved, 750 were killed/hung and only 50 were left to rot in prison. That's pretty much annihilation.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

New Zealand!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Well this IS a repost. I already said what I was going to say on the original topic.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/221915-australias-spy-agency-to-get-power-to-tap-unlimited-devices/

I did consider linking that post, this is more of a follow up article though. I'm not posting the same content, it's just the same topic.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I didnt read all that title was enough to piss me off.

WTF 'stralians, 'mericans 'nglishmen ? why do these 3 countries just follow each others stupidity when it comes to internet police and laws? Russian's/Chinese/Iranian's these play in a different league of communism and police states why democracies are trying so hard to follow?

I dont understand what are they trying so hard to monitor on the internet? people who swear on facebook? terrorists dont really use the internet do they? if they make any videos/blogs/websites promoting crap they would get taken down anyway.

I didnt read all that title was enough to piss me off.

WTF 'stralians, 'mericans 'nglishmen ? why do these 3 countries just follow each others stupidity when it comes to internet police and laws? Russian's/Chinese/Iranian's these play in a different league of communism and police states why democracies are trying so hard to follow?

I dont understand what are they trying so hard to monitor on the internet? people who swear on facebook? terrorists dont really use the internet do they? if they make any videos/blogs/websites promoting crap they would get taken down anyway.

If you didn't read it all in it's entirety then I do quite believe you shouldn't hold an opinion.

It's people like you who form their opinions and thoughts on only hearing portions of information or a single side of a situation, step back, read up and take a look at the bigger picture.

Maybe the guys from the Lizard Squad wanna expand and take a closer look at Senator Brandis and his friends. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

If you didn't read it all in it's entirety then I do quite believe you shouldn't hold an opinion.

It's people like you who form their opinions and thoughts on only hearing portions of information or a single side of a situation, step back, read up and take a look at the bigger picture.

I ended up reading it and i regret i didnt want to know the rest of the stupid in Aus goverment.In this case the title was enough to tell me anything i need to know about how stupid that gov is.

Lets see, 60 million gun owners versus 1.3 million in the various armed services, most of whom are not combat trained or ready, and not willing to kill their own family members, so no, we wouldn't even have to fight because the army would already be on our side, as would the police.

Can you say "unwinnable insurgency"?

Not to mention the first thing we did together as a nation was kick the shit out of the most professional army of the current world super power, you know, the American Revolution?

Farmers with pitchforks can do a fuck load more than you expect. Maybe you people should wake up and stop being slaves to your own governments

Relevent avatar is relevent. Shi Shi shah!

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

Relevent avatar is relevent. Shi Shi shah!

I chose it for a reason lol.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs