R9 390X Coming in 2015. Featuring 20nm, Liquid Cooling and High Bandwidth Memory "HBM"

Eww, WCCF. Anyway, I don't care about AMD unless they sort out their heat and power issues

What heat and power issues ? 280X consumes like 10W more than the 770 and it beats it in most games.

It's fuckin' WCCF. I've never seen them coming up with an accurate rumor. This is a load of BS.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

@Askew WCCFTech...

He was in this thread! :D

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Then you are not the target for AMD GPU products, and you don't have to say you are sorry - not everyone cares about it, specially paying premium price for it.

There are other things AMD users value - for example AMD GPUs seem to be ahead when it comes to new tech and features. You have audio processing that is being adopted by Intel, you have full support for the newest APIs both realesed and to be released, you have already support for DP 1.2a and surelly the 300 series will support 1.3, and AMD has been one step ahead on the VRAM.

With Mantle AMD will have the abbility to further bring new hardware features to the market without being dependent on DX slow moves.

My first GPU was a radeon hd 7850, noe I have a gtx 760 have the 7850 cooler failed. I will give amd this, their GPUS will run hot. How hot? Well my 7850 hit 105C and I could still put it in a chasis and turn it on and have it run. Display port standard doesn't bother me because I don't have any monitor to run off display port. Same for audio, not an audiophile. Also not a monitorphile. I will admit I run on cheap TN panels, and they work just fine for me. Maybe I'm not AMD target audience but they still have a lot to do in bringing down thermals and power consumption

My first GPU was a radeon hd 7850, noe I have a gtx 760 have the 7850 cooler failed. I will give amd this, their GPUS will run hot. How hot? Well my 7850 hit 105C and I could still put it in a chasis and turn it on and have it run. Display port standard doesn't bother me because I don't have any monitor to run off display port. Same for audio, not an audiophile. Also not a monitorphile. I will admit I run on cheap TN panels, and they work just fine for me. Maybe I'm not AMD target audience but they still have a lot to do in bringing down thermals and power consumption

Holy shit! That's even hotter than my previous card 590.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, we all know as soon as AMD's flagship is released, Nvidia will release the Titan II or the 980ti (or both) and be on the top again.

Personally, I think that AMD's new GPU's will crush 970 and 980 if they don't mess up something really bad. The real fight will be between 20nm Maxwell and new AMD series.

What a stupid thing to say; "hey this GPU will be beaten by something else in half a year!" no shit sherlock. Meaningless statement.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

amd will obviously come out with something better that's how the game is played. However, can it find a way that makes power consumption aware people swing over to the red team. I don't care for a few extra fps if it's gonna make the wiring in my place glow red hot...

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

So you had a faulty GPU, there's always warranty. I can tell you that my 8800m GTX on my 2300 euros laptop had alot of issues that were never fixed either going to warranty and after 3 years of BSOD and driver issues, it managed to kill my laptop due to temperature - yet because of this I'm not going to discard NVIDIA, infact im looking to buy a laptop with the 900 series due to the power efficiency.

About the display port, well when you swich it you will have to get a new GPU, even with the new 900 series you will need a new gpu for dp 1.2a or 1.3, when alot of people with Radeon cards will only have to buy the monitor. 

About the Audio I don't think you understand the purpous of TrueAudio and audio processing... it offloads the audio processing from the CPU to the audio processor, wich in some games it's like 20% of a game load on a CPU... it's not about being a audiophile, it's about gaining performance and optimization...

But by reading all of this, it got clear, you are not suited for AMD Radeon and that's fine. They sure have room to improve the power effiency, but even with architecture maturity and with the process shrinking it will come eventually, so it doesn't bother me and alot of people - other then that, AMD Radeon is ahead on the curve, and it has been like that for some time and devs sure do like GCN and how open and well documented it is.

So don't worry, and keep buying the products that suit your needs - don't make the mistake to think that because you value something, others will value it as well, and therefore is the right thing to value... that's just wrong. Oh and remember the 900 series are currently competing with a 1 year+ old architecture, the R 300 series are yet to come.

it would be nice, but i'm sure NVidia will pull another 780ti on them... accept its a 980ti

Well, even if they do there will still be a 390 and 390X coming. Those will be trumped by the 20nm GTX 1000 series (note: I think Nvidia will change the naming scheme, especially since naming a 4K card "1080" would be awkward). Trading the crown constantly is the best thing for the market.

What a stupid thing to say; "hey this GPU will be beaten by something else in half a year!" no shit sherlock. Meaningless statement.

It doesn't stop people to compare the brand new 900 series to the R 200 series that are here for more then a year, when the competition for the 900 series will arrive with the R 300 series. But then again I also consider such statements meaningless.

It would be nice to AMD to control their GPUs power and reduce consumption a little bit. The release price scares me a little bit :u

key word: february 2015

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Like most tech companies, they take it in turn to be the best option.  It's just that this last standing has taken a little longer than normal to start to turn.   But it will, the tables are turning, very slowly but they are turning non the less.

I'm going to be honest, I don't see AMD overtaking Nvidia here. I think they'll improve significantly in performance per watt, but it'll be closer to Kepler than to Maxwell, and they're going to brute-force close the gap with a liquid cooler, which probably won't actually be necessary for any reason other than winning the performance crown ,but Nvidia fanboys here will still claim that the card just can't run without liquid cooling.

Well... If this is the case then I think I'll be laughing at a few people that said a 980 ti wouldn't come. :)

It was all just

d9TqycO.png

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

key word: february 2015

Fine by me. I'm waiting until June to buy a card for Batman: Arkham Knight. However, since Nvidia might just give the game free with the card, they have a decent advantage there. AMD will basically need to offer something more powerful for $60 less to be worth it I guess. :P

I can say the same, the 690 is only situationally better - and I think a dual gpu card is aimed at higher resolutions, taking into account that generation of cards.

About the minimum framerates and frametimes it was a issue that was brought up by NVIDIA, addressed by AMD, and currently (at least the R9 series) are superior to NVIDIA SLI, so I'm not sure if the reviews of the 7990 and 690 cover the new drivers with the fixes.

I for instance don't care for power usage, noise (even though the the 690 and 7990 are the same in iddle, 7990 wins in LOAD http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7990_review,10.html), and temperature as long as it doesn't throttle is fine by me - and you can see that the difference between the 690 and 7990 are few degrees (~4ºC), so there's no clear winner in that department (http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-hd-7990-review,9.html).

For me is performance and price mainly - and if I recall correctly the 7990 always had a very competitive and interesting price.

Well, the 7990 and 690 are old news now. The reviews are pretty mixed on 690 and 7990. 

With Maxwell, there is a clear winner for temperature and power consumption. Difference of about 60W on load, and 14C on load (over the 290X). Idle/load noise is also significantly quieter on the 980. If the 390X comes with an AIO cooler, the temperature and noise would be better than the 980, but only because of the AIO. I'll hold off on power consumption, but considering the 290X and its power consumption (not to mention much higher TDP), I'm still betting on Nvidia being the better all-round card for me, even with slightly lower performance. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

380X?

With... an eight?

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

380X?

With... an eight?

Yeah, that's the notable thing. It'll finally be midrange vs. midrange again!

Well, the 7990 and 690 are old news now. The reviews are pretty mixed on 690 and 7990. 

With Maxwell, there is a clear winner for temperature and power consumption. Difference of about 60W on load, and 14C on load (over the 290X). Idle/load noise is also significantly quieter on the 980. If the 390X comes with an AIO cooler, the temperature and noise would be better than the 980, but only because of the AIO. I'll hold off on power consumption, but considering the 290X and its power consumption (not to mention much higher TDP), I'm still betting on Nvidia being the better all-round card for me, even with slightly lower performance. 

Completly agree, it's old news - it was just about setting some things straight.

Maxwell had the responsability to win temps and power consumption, it's a brand new architecture that's competing against a old one (R 200 was released to compete with 700 series) - so they also have the responsability to win when it comes to performance. Ofc the new R 300 will be more efficient then the R 200.

We are yet to see if the rumours are true, but honestly I don't belive AMD is going to put a AIO cooler on a mainstream card, specially because it's common knowlege that the 390X will be similar to the 390, so they would have to push two mainstream cards with AIO coolers... the 295X2 is a exotic card, a exception that deals with high margins... from all I know if AMD priced the R9 295X2 at 600 euros they wouldn't be losing any money. On the other hand, they might have had a great deal with the AIO manufacturer and will achieve great results with it.

What I'm curious about is if there's going to be any new hardware feature on the R 300 series, like HBM, most definatly DP 1.3 support, and hopefully any new hardware feature for Mantle 2.

I personally find it quite sad that AMD is having to put water cooling on their high end cards to be able to get the same performance as NVidia's top tier cards that use air coolers.

So far the only card they've put a water cooler on is the 295x2 which is a dual gpu card. People keep making hyperbolic insinuations along the lines of "amd needs to put water coolers on their high end gpu's because they run so hot!11". They've put a water cooler on one very high end dual gpu card, that's it, and the "390x water cooler" is just a complete rumor at this time. I highly doubt they'd have a stock water cooler on any single gpu solution.

The biggest issues with the 290/290x were the garbage reference coolers, later on 290/290x models with aftermerket air coolers were released that had much more reasonable cooling performance/noise. That said, the 290/290x are indeed rather power hungry, but people need to stop with the 'zomg amd cards need water coolers' hyperbole :P.

Well I hope that the 390x will come around february or march.

At this point I'll buy my next highend GPU and it will be 970/higher or 380x/higher.

Plus you also have this, the R9 295X2 on air.

powercolor_devil_13_hd7990_01.jpg

That's the 7990

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock