I have one!

CPU:                      Intel i7 860S
Mobo:                    Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
RAM:                      16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
RAID CARD :         HighPoint Rocket 2720SGL
OS Drive:               20GB SD card to SATA
Storage Drives:      8 X WD 2TB Caviar Greens in RAID Z

Usage:                 Media server, storage, backup, Teamspeak and game server

In the near future there will be a second RAID card going in and an additional 8 X 2TB WD Greens. I'm also going to move all of the services (Teamspeak etc) to a single non RAID drive to reduce stress on the array.

Proof pic of drives attached.

post-18404-0-90255400-1393681323_thumb.p

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Got any pictures of the physical unit? I'm interested!

It's just in a crappy wooden cage/box I made from scrap wood :P

Once I finish the case for my main rig I will give the server some love.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

It's just in a crappy wooden cage/box I made from scrap wood :P

Once I finish the case for my main rig I will give the server some love.

Now I definitely want pictures!

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Haha OK bare with me. It's very crude, I through it together in about 30 mins so I could get the server up and running.

EDIT: Attached pic

post-18404-0-88642600-1393687635_thumb.j

I can only wish for the kind of setup's you guys have, My setup is only a single TB on an old 775 Pentium 4 with 512mbs of ram running FreeNAS.

I can only wish.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I can only wish for the kind of setup's you guys have, My setup is only a single TB on an old 775 Pentium 4 with 512mbs of ram running FreeNAS.

I can only wish.

I think most of us here started small... I know I did.

My first server was a P3 at 400-ish MHz, carrying a wopping total of about 15GB worth of HDD space, IIRC. The thing actually belonged to my neighbours, I built it with their son with some old compnents that I found on the scrap yard. Even though it's an old POS, it was my way into computer hardware and Linux and I still keep on to it.

Haha OK bare with me. It's very crude, I through it together in about 30 mins so I could get the server up and running.

This is... EPIC

I love you for sharing this! Nothing better then a nice ghetto rig :D

This is Sweet

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

This is... EPIC

Haha thanks. I will be making something more appropriate and aesthetically pleasing in the near future.

This is Sweet

Cheers.

Now I like that, I really like that! thumb.gif

If you were to post a more detailed pic of the HDD mounting system I would

not be against that. ;)

This is... EPIC

The funny thing is, even though it's a bit ghetto, it's actually still well

laid out and pretty damn tidy, I really dig that (I mean yeah there are some

cables hanging around, but it's a storage build with a non-modular PSU

after all).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I think most of us here started small... I know I did.

Im curious where the rest of you all started from.

I personally got interested in NAS/Homeservers after I bought a 300gb Maxtor NAS back in 2003(I think). This was epic for LAN parties and helped me reduce my reliance on the several hundred CD's of data i had. Cost a bit though, think i spent about $500AUD on the thing. Since then my storage requirements have done nothing but gone up.

2068-1.jpg

My school's total 'dropbox storage' is one 2TB drive. That's for staff and students. :lol: We're all encouraged to have our own means of storage in saying that though :P

But My school has over a 1000 students 

But My school has over a 1000 students 

So does mine, mine has nearly 1500

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Why don't you just offer to build them a storage server?

I tried that with my school because they have a single 1.5TB drive for 1200 people, i was told i would break it yet the IT technicians can't fix video driver bugs...

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

I tried that with my school because they have a single 1.5TB drive for 1200 people, i was told i would break it yet the IT technicians can't fix video driver bugs...

Stupid bureaucracy is stupid, I guess...

Now I like that, I really like that! thumb.gif

Haha. Thanks.

If you were to post a more detailed pic of the HDD mounting system I would

not be against that.  ;)

It's just four bits of plastic. Two sheets of acrylic with holes drilled for the HDD screws, and two thicker pieces to hold them together at each end.

The funny thing is, even though it's a bit ghetto, it's actually still well

laid out and pretty damn tidy, I really dig that (I mean yeah there are some

cables hanging around, but it's a storage build with a non-modular PSU

after all).

The intention was to just get it up and running, so I just did what made sense at the time with what i already had. I always planned on building a proper case with high airflow and dust filtering. I'll make it capable of holding an additional 8 drives + OS drive etc. I'll be sure to make a build log when I start that.

So do I get added to the list?

Chris.

oops was a bit busy today with this:

IMG_3331s.JPG

Will add you to the list now :)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Why don't you just offer to build them a storage server?

My school encourages that we carry our own storage like a flash drive (they're so damn cheap) or portable HDD etc.

-snip-

:o You got a server rack! :D It's so pretty :wub:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Nice rack

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

@looney... Add me to the list tooooo!! :)

I posted mine a couple of pages back.

Cheers in advanced.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Im curious where the rest of you all started from.

My first storage solution was a WD My Book Essential 500GB external HDD. I actually still have it and use it to transfer big files between my computer to my friends computers and as Time Machine for my Macbook Pro.

My first NAS is still a work in progress, when it's done I'll make a post of it here, in the meantime feel free to check out the build log.

31P2ee7komL.jpg

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini