[UPDATE 2] AMD Making An Announcement On September 25th."You ain't seen nothing yet"

Up to 18 way crossfire with 89% scaling up to the last GPU? With a GPU that is as good as a 295x2 but for 100 dollars and a 50 watt TDP?

Fx 12150 and 12120 with insane IPC, 12 full cores, and a 60 watt TDP?

One can hope.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

The 285 is a brand new GPU architectur/chip. It replaces the 280/280X and performs close to but a little better than the 280. The 280 and 280X are being discontinued/retired.

And yes, the naming is really stupid and confusing.   :wacko:

Edited my post. It's made some sense in my head now.

I hope its a new gpu that can compete with the gtx 980.

It would be nice if they had some trick up there sleeve to increase multi gpu scaling,

could really give them a leg up even with lower performance cards

^ This

Nvidia is already going to do something similar anyways, given what Titan and Titan Black were... 980 is still the GM204 core instead of the GM210 (sadly).

AMD talks mad game, but they rarely live up to it.

Also, Teraflops has been revealed for the AMD fanboy we knew he was, given the anti-Nvidia crap he was arguing recently.

Up to 18 way crossfire with 89% scaling up to the last GPU? With a GPU that is as good as a 295x2 but for 100 dollars and a 50 watt TDP?

Fx 12150 and 12120 with insane IPC, 12 full cores, and a 60 watt TDP?

One can hope.

dont forget, Vram is now measured in TBs for the best 16K expirience

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I'm making an educated guess here but based on the little bit of data we got from the 285 about AMD's next architecture I expect them to just beat the 980 in terms of raw performance. But not in power consumption... 

Maybe NEW FX CPUs

Nope- this will not happen until Jim Keller's new Zen architecture is ready in 2016. This will be GPU related, why else would they call out Nvidia...

AMD talks mad game, but they rarely live up to it.

You are right when it comes to CPUs, but when it comes to GPUs they consistently deliver.

I'm making an educated guess here but based on the little bit of data we got from the 285 about AMD's next architecture I expect them to just beat the 980 in terms of raw performance. But not in power consumption... 

I really hope so, and they tend to do it at a competitive price, see 290x/780 back then

You are right when it comes to CPUs, but when it comes to GPUs they consistently deliver.

That may be true. The example I had in mind was the 295X2. That delivered.

I don't know. I'm still skeptical. I expect either something genuinely impressive from the R9 300 series, but more likely AMD is just stealing Nvidia's thunder, like with G-sync.

I'm in need of a new graphics card, so I hope they'll reveal the 300 series.

Just buy the 980/870

I wonder if 3 GPUs on a single board is even physically possible? Like, ignoring its insane power consumption, could you even fit all the circuitry required onto a normal pcb?

well it would be like 40-45cm long easily. there are a lot of cases which support that kind of gpu length.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

not just that. They delivered with the R9 Hawai and R7 series. And before that with the 7xxx. There is no reason to doubt AMD's graphics department.

not just that. They delivered with the R9 Hawai and R7 series. And before that with the 7xxx. There is no reason to doubt in ATi

*fixed

It better not be another APU :(

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I don't know. I'm still skeptical. I expect either something genuinely impressive from the R9 300 series, but more likely AMD is just stealing Nvidia's thunder, like with G-sync.

AMD really wrecked Nvidia with Active sync standard in theory. Let's see it it ends up true.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

AMD really wrecked Nvidia with Active sync standard in theory. Let's see it it ends up true.

On the long term obviously the industry standard, non-proprietor, royalty free technology will win. But Nvidia still deserves credit for bringing the problem of GPU-monitor synchronization into the industry consciousness. Without Nvidia and Gsync we would not have had freesync coming this soon, who knows how many years it would have taken. Nvidia made it happen.

In the same vein AMD deserves a lot of credit for what it did with Mantle. They demonstrated that graphics APIs were using CPUs in a wasteful non-optimized manner and that it was possible to create an API in which GPUs are less hindered by CPU performance. Mantle will never be an industry standard, but now we are getting openGL Next and DirectX12 which are taking so many learnings from it.

It's a Matrix theme. Morpheous gave the option to Neo to either choose the blue pill and forget everything or the red pill and go into the matrix.

I'm sorry but that's tin-foil hat territory. You can't create an entire campaign in just two days. This was obviously prepared well before game24.

I'm protected cuz I made this hat. From aluminum FOIL...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Doesn't the 280X perform better at close to the same price? I don't even know why the 285 exists.

I swear they start out renaming their product line to something that makes sense, then proceeds to perform some backwards-ass logic to the next iteration and we're back to the same mess after 3 generations. /rant Sorry.

EDIT.

I think figured out their marketing and its annoying. They're going to release a new flagship and its going to be greater than the 290X or 295X. Now since they released the 285 and cancelling the 280X, There's a price/performance gap between the 285 and the 290. They'll probably do some aggressive pricing and bring down the 290 to previous 280X's original price bracket, and price drop the 290X as well. So in the new line-up it'll be 285, 290, 290X, Mystery card or 295X2, Mystery card or 295X2.

It exists to add GCN 1.2 features to the pricepoint.

Yay, new GPUs. I like new GPUs. I need a new one.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

If you look at the job listing for AMD, AMD India seems to be one of the CPU divisions.

In the same vein AMD deserves a lot of credit for what it did with Mantle. They demonstrated that graphics APIs were using CPUs in a wasteful non-optimized manner and that it was possible to create an API in which GPUs are less hindered by CPU performance. Mantle will never be an industry standard, but now we are getting openGL Next and DirectX12 which are taking so many learnings from it.

Didn't Nvidia release a driver that reduced CPU overhead or something from the existing API's as a respons to Mantle?

And I still remain skeptical about Mantle. They say it is open sourced yet don't want to give Intel access.