Netflix May Come To Linux Soon

Opcode

Source

Paul Adolph:

Netflix will play with Chrome stable in 14.02 if NSS version 3.16.2 or greater is installed. If this version is generally installed across 14.02, Netflix would be able to make a change so users would no longer have to hack their User-Agent to play. What is the process of getting a new NSS version into the update stream? Or can somebody please provide me with the right contact? Thanks!

Marc Deslauriers:

I was planning on bumping nss to 3.17 in the stable releases as a security update the next time a security issue needs to be fixed, or to update the bundled CA certificate list. I'm not sure when that is going to be, but I might take a look at it next week since it hasn't been updated in a while and a bunch of 1024-bit CA certs got removed recently.

Paul Adolph:

That's great news. If both 14.10 and 14.02 have a recent (> 3.16.2) version of NSS, I can make a case here to lift the User-Agent filtering which will make Netflix HTML5 play in Chrome turnkey with no hacks required. So please let me know when you get around to it.

Good news ahead for Linux users!

now all linux needs to do is run games, then life is complete with a free open source os :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I know you mean 'natively coming to Linux' but here's a quick workaround if you don't want to wait.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/194810-tutorial-how-to-install-netflix-on-ubuntu-1404/

Thanks, That's the first time that I heard of that. Still, a change to html5 is necessary.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

now all linux needs to do is run games, then life is complete with a free open source os :D

1888 items on Steam so far, out of about 14k total. Including DLC, but a good chunk of games runs natively, and more and more AAA games are coming out next year with Linux support (while current AAA's are being ported). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Fedora works pretty well with WINE, haven't come across a game so far that doesn't run (apart from Planetside 2 & Firefall, the sole reasons I use windows anymore.)

1888 items on Steam so far, out of about 14k total. Including DLC, but a good chunk of games runs natively, and more and more AAA games are coming out next year with Linux support (while current AAA's are being ported). 

noice

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

i am excited to see the day i can say fuck off windows and run linux. few things need to line up. game developer support, driver support (getting there), some software developer support (adobe, talking to you. your holding us back here a**holes).

finally those 5 people that use linux can finnaly watch Netflix

/s

Netflix has announced support for Linux will soon be available. For years, the video streaming service has been using Microsoft Silverlight, and that plug-in simply was not available in most situations for Linux users. Now, Netflix says it will work with Chrome as long as Network Security Services version 3.16.2 or greater is installed.

The current version of Ubuntu, a popular Linux distribution, is running an older version of NSS. Though, a simple update could be applied to change the version of that plug-in, and the latest version of NSS should be in the next full version of Ubuntu next month.

Less supported distributions probably won't work with Netflix by default despite this announcement, however there are ways to still access the service when using the open -source operating system.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/13016/netflix-finally-extending-support-to-linux.html

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is tremendous news! Not only do I use Linux, but it also bodes well for SteamOS. If I can get Netflix on SteamOS it'll be my chosen HTPC OS.

if your did use linux unofficial support shouldnt have been a problem. Patched wine port of silverlight had been in the ubuntu repos for a while. This is still cool however, Hopefully less messing around.

if your did use linux unofficial support shouldnt have been a problem. Patched wine port of silverlight had been in the ubuntu repos for a while. This is still cool however, Hopefully less messing around.

Yeah, I used it, but it's nice to have official support nonetheless.

Yes!

I have been using wine with a windows firefox and silverlite. I am glad to just have it work.

The Distro I use is based on ubuntu so I can use it soon I hope.

Now I can watch on my servers.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Isn't it easier to bypass throttling on Linux? I would think so..... this is good news then.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Wow, I can also now stream from NetFlix to umm... place with no bandwidth BS then VNC the Linux computer to my home, tunneled via Ssh of course, oh yea.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Silverlight really is garbage - We all need to go Pluginless...

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013