Programmers Lounge

deafboy

I just started to learn code at codeacademy! :P It's quite fun but I only started two days ago, I am learning HTML, and I am about 6 or 7 exercises through.

Does anyone know an easy program to code on, for beginners?

I just use Win 7 on my new gaming PC :)

-nitefinderz

i just started an internship with a ECE company that uses a lot of python. I code primarily in C so over my week break (my uni goes by trimesters, on break now) I decided to pick up a Python book. This language... no line termination (;) or variable declarations.... plsgo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am just getting into programming myself. I took a C++ and Java class in my second year of high school and I enjoyed both of them, but unfortunately did not continue learning the languages myself. But I just got a Raspberry Pi and I am really interested in learning Python and I want to learn C++ or something similar later on. Do you guys think starting with Python is a good idea for a beginner? Or should I start with something else?

I wish I had gotten interested in programming earlier(I'm 17 right now), but I guess a late start is better than nothing!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

• 2 weeks later...

Why is using public in a class in c++ bad practice?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

To introduce myself:

I am a *NIX lover, and I learnt Bash and Perl for that reason. Shortly thereafter (well, about a year and a bit) I thought that whilst Bash and Perl are brilliant scripting languages, an actual compiled language might be something new to try... Within a month of attempting to get my head around pointers in C, I decided to step back and hop over to my Windows platform and learn C#. Then I thought that .NET languages would be similar, so I moved on to VB. I am now coveting my good ol' *NIX bash terminal, distrusting forevermore of Visual Studio. For some reason I prefer the most basic IDEs, and confine myself to nano and pico. My favourite flavour is Debian (after a fashion). Also learning a bit of Lua on the side.

• 3 weeks later...

any one got any cool project their like to share :D

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

Hello all! Thought i would introduce myself since i may be spending time in this section in the future!

I'm a 3rd year student at Christopher Newport University, which is in Virginia in USA. Working for my masters degree, 2 more years (ish) to go.

I mostly program in java, but pretty good at python too! I've dabbled in most languages even dead ones through school, always looking to learn and discuss more stuff :D

Thats it :D hope to talk soon!

only have a little experience with this. HTML SQL C++ etc but enough to know programming is nothing for me. I make to many typo's xD.

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Hi!

I'm in grade 10 in high school. My school has a linux/programming course, and its awesome = ]

We learn about basic linux terminal commands and ssh. We are learning python right now, just simple programs with calculations, lists, dictionaries, and other beginner stuff. Our teaches has also started teaching us binary and gates. I really like the computer logic and figuring out how to make 8 bit full adders with the inputs/outputs. In binary we do adding and 2's compliment. This school is also the top programming school on the west coast = p Now I'm also starting to get into robot C programming for VEX. That's me! Btw I love Minecraft.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ok, im pretty new to programming.

I have started with some PHP, which I like, as it does what i need for now. Im decent at it, but I now want to learn C++, which is a much more powerful language.

If you are new to programming i recomend for starters to make it a little easier learn HTML, HTML5, java, objective c, or javascript :D

I put the ass in assume

Hey, I am a highschooler, started learning Python in 7th grade, ditched it for C# and now I am profficient in it, Also learned Java and picking up Python again. I also plan on learning C++ and Assembly down the road. I like Linux, but I can't use it 24/7. It gets sort of in my way, although I love terminal <3

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Really nice to see so many younger people learning how to program... :)

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Awesome to see so many people interested in programming. :D

I'm currently studying a media course at college where I have been learning to code in C#, HTML and CSS. Only very basic stuff so far but I plan on studying them at home to get a better understanding of them and everything. Almost a total noob at this point really. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I'm ending out my junior year in high school and love technology. I told myself I'd get at least the basics of Java and at least one other language down before I graduate. I've dabbled a bit with Javascript and got eclipse for Java and such, but what with school I have almost forgotten it was all there. Summer is nearly upon me and my technology teacher said she'd buy me at least two books for learning Java (and maybe I can convince her for something else) that I can use over the break. Is there any advice I can get on what books I should get and what other language(s) I should look into for the fun of it?

Hey everyone,

I'm Dragon. I'm finishing up my freshman year of college, going for a degree in electrical engineering. Sadly I haven't started most of my focused course-work, and have been going for most of my pre-reqs so I can transfer to a university within a year or 2. I have been programming since I was around 14 (so about 4-5 years). I would consider myself above intermediate level when it comes to C and C++. I have also worked with Java, and could get back into the swing of it without much trouble. I love computers and programming, and creating video games has been a hobby of mine for these past couple of years, as well as a childhood dream since the first time I laid hands on a Nintendo 64. I am currently jumping in to the early stages of development on a new project, and have taken up the design position while my partner works on our engine.

I'm a huge fan of Linus Media Group, and hope to spend a lot of time in this forum now that things on the back-end have been ironed out.

See you guys around!

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

So, my small history of programming languages:

1. Scheme (yeah, I know)
  2. C
  3. Assembly (gotta love the MOVes)
  4. Java
  5. C++ (with OpenGL)
  6. Common Lisp
  7. PHP
  8. Javascript

If someone wants to get into programming I think that the best one to start is C.

Hello everyone.

I am Abhinav. I am an undergrad student taking a course in Computer Engineering. I have been programming since the age of 11. I started off with UNIX C and then MS QuickBASIC. Why MS QuickBASIC? Because that's what my school taught me in the 5th grade. Then I moved on to C++ and Java. My primary programming language is Java. I have been thinking of moving away from Java but haven't found any other programming language as easy as Java.

I have worked on some projects:

build-5.jpg

build-6.jpg

Puma is a small desktop environment which I made just for fun. I turned out to be good but I couldn't work on it for quite a while.

• A tile based game in Java. My college project
screenshot-treasure-zip-1.png

These are the only projects which I think are worth showing :P

I am currently learning how to use QT and GTK using C++ and C respectively. I still have a long way to go.

PS does anyone know moot to make images smaller or make thumbnails?

Anyone have an IDE that works well for coding in Node? General javascript syntax highlighting is okay but not as robust as I'd like. And having a quick way to run node files without opening up the command prompt would be nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I just joined the forum yesterday...

I'm a CS student at the University of Toronto St. George (just finished first year last month). I used C# in high school, and Python in university. I used Visual Studio for C# and used IDLE and WingIDE for Python during the school year, and then discovered there's a Python plugin for VS after classes ended (ugh)... I also use Sublime Text for any quick editing I need to do. Not sure if it really counts as programming, but I also do HTML/CSS/JS website stuff occasionally. 

I'm a Windows guy through and through. I've tried Linux but have never really liked it much, and OS X just irks me.

Hi guys!

I just joined the forum yesterday...

I'm a CS student at the University of Toronto St. George (just finished first year last month). I used C# in high school, and Python in university. I used Visual Studio for C# and used IDLE and WingIDE for Python during the school year, and then discovered there's a Python plugin for VS after classes ended (ugh)... I also use Sublime Text for any quick editing I need to do. Not sure if it really counts as programming, but I also do HTML/CSS/JS website stuff occasionally. 

I'm a Windows guy through and through. I've tried Linux but have never really liked it much, and OS X just irks me.

Always wanted to visit Canada for a while. How come your experience with linux has been so negative? I admit I had trouble moving from it when I got to university but I completed my final year project using linux this year and I don't think I could go back to programming in a windows environment now. Linux mint was my choice and it was fantastic for working with C++, but I guess for C# and Python, Windows is probably very well suited to.

Always wanted to visit Canada for a while. How come your experience with linux has been so negative? I admit I had trouble moving from it when I got to university but I completed my final year project using linux this year and I don't think I could go back to programming in a windows environment now. Linux mint was my choice and it was fantastic for working with C++, but I guess for C# and Python, Windows is probably very well suited to.

Never seemed to have the programs/level of polish and details that Windows or OS X offered. That and I guess I'm just extremely used to Windows, since I've used it for so long.

Never seemed to have the programs/level of polish and details that Windows or OS X offered. That and I guess I'm just extremely used to Windows, since I've used it for so long.

I will definitely agree, linux rarely ever runs with as much polish or well-tested software as windows/mac but for development it is such a nice environment to work in once you get used to a decent linux distro. Don't be too put off, it would be worth giving it a good try.

• 3 weeks later...

S'up guys.

I thought I would introduce myself, even though I have spoken to quite a few of you on the programming forum.

I am currently finishing off my Masters Degree in Computer Science, prior to that I completed my degree in the same subject. I also work part time as a Software Engineer in which I create business tailored software for clients. I also do a lot of Android programming. I have my first Android project coming out soon, and am after app testers. I hope for my full tiime occupation to be in the field of Android Development, but we will see.

My favourite langugage is Java (more because a lot of my work has forced me to use it) I am also proficient in Python, Javascript, PHP, Ruby and SQL. I am also quite adept in HTML and CSS.

I spend most of my forum time in the programming section. I also maintain the 'Ultimate Programming Resources' Thread. SO if you have anything to contribute to it, please let me know.

Thanks guys.
Rob

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

cool to meet ya Rob :D I too hope over the summer to dabble into android. Thinking im going to take a class in it next spring @ university! How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

I was thinking about making a VMWare sort of app for Apples portable devices, i know how to go about it etc etc.. Just wondering would it be worth the hassle?