Programmers Lounge

deafboy

Just throwing in my two cents here. I work full time as a software developer, primarily I write VB.NET applications for work. But at home I love to program PHP and C#. I feel absolutely blessed to have made a career out of something I am so passionate about.  I find programming helps keep me centered and focused :) I think my love for programming is an extension of my love for language in general. I am super into syntax and vocabulary, so naturally the programming environment is one I can get truly lost in. I'm always looking for new programming opportunities so if anyone is ever in need of an extra coder, give me a shout!

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

I've recently gotten in a bit of a debate over comments (in code of course)... I think comments are essential especially if the code is complicated and/or you won't look at it for a long time. What is your take on it?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I've recently gotten in a bit of a debate over comments (in code of course)... I think comments are essential especially if the code is complicated and/or you won't look at it for a long time. What is your take on it?

I usually only comment on things that I am sharing with others or if what I did was so convoluted even I looking back over it the next day wouldn't understand :P

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently a 12th grade high school student and a sophomore in college. I am one semester away from an associates in computer science and applied mathematics. I am a completely self taught programmer, with the exception of taking necessary classes and testing out of a few. I am a huge fan of linux and anything I can go into and mess around with. I wrote an OS in assembly and c++ a few years ago that was extremely basic but a complete test of my knowledge and skills. I can program in c++, Java, JS, PHP, VB, C, C#, Assembly, and working on objective C. I have a thirst for knowledge and love to advance my skills constantly. I have a belief that there is nothing which cannot be solved by programming. I love to develop games and make random stuff all the time. I am always open to critique so if there is ever anything that you want to say I would be pleased to hear it.

I like to occasionally use comments to help keep my code organized and clean. Mainly when I learn a new way to do something and want to keep it documented. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this, it's mainly just a personal preference. I do agree that as stated above, they are especially useful when sharing code with others or if it extremely complex. Usually they are not necessary but I still include them if there is any doubt.

Same here dude,can't wait to develop my first proper game.... Try learning python along with c++ and java....

I aways started by making stupid text based adventure games. They are really useful when learning new functions and statements and the proper way to implement them. Eventually I moved on to learning how to use save systems and the like before moving onto GUI style (mainly Java for GUI type stuff). I am currently making a tower defense game that is in beta version 5. It is really basic but there is a lot that you can do to customize it as far as the levels go and the graphics.

Here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aypo7x15idc3wma/AACGs82H46duU9AxoW3Bc2UBa?dl=0

My other creations: http://watchan.org/mine.php

I'm currently programming an API or driver to utilize multicore cpus better.

Original Discussion: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140001-anime-club-heaven-society/page-598

Currently planned:

1. Have all windows processes and services run off core 0 (or 1 if you prefer)

2. Have applications assigned to their own/share a core if its not too intensive or sent to core 0 (at core 1)

3. Games will be assigned the highest amount of cores it can utilize starting from core 2

4. Any processes queued for said core will be reassigned to an unused core.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

I've been into programming for the past two years! My interest first started about 4 years ago when I decided I wanted to make my own game and started with 2D game tools that used event script with drag and drop events on event trees. After awhile I decided I wanted to get more in depth and really create my own game from the ground up and started watching tutorials on programming and gained a huge interest.

I initially learned JavaScript and began using that to develop games and applications despite constantly being told C# was better for said thing and even learning C# I still continued to prefer JavaScript.

Since then I have expanded to try and learn other languages like HTML, CSS, JQuery, Ruby, and PHP. Now I just love making things and applications to see what I can create and love working on team projects(though I never really have the opportunity offered to me).

I hope to get post-secondary education and get myself a Computer Science degree and become a Game developer!

So that's me!

Also if you're interested I have a series of videos of an FPS I was working on (life sort of took over and hasn't allowed me to finish the series :( but here it is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gul8dyE0Hw

You have to learn c# if you want to be a dev..... Also python

I do know C# :) I just choose to not really use it in actual development. I am slated to learn python next though!

Graduated with my CS degree last Friday and started Monday in my new career as a Firmware Engineer. So far I am loving it!

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

Hi to all,

just to introduce myself to Linus' forum:

I am an oldboy from Bulgaria coding in C.

My only interest in programming is textual processing, mainly search and decompression.

My wish is to share my experience and test my tools on 5960x - the only CPU that matches my greediness  for speed.

In order to achieve superfast speeds two things are a must: heavy benchmarking and sensitivity, this is my belief.

Just took a snapshot of my desktop showing the searcher that utilizes the power of 5960X:

post-174406-0-85812900-1419453969_thumb.

I am looking for some fellow member with 5960x to benchmark my monstrous searcher with the biggest textual file in INTERNET - the EnWiki itself...

"The coolest cat ever. Just pure ice in his veins."

/Galgo/

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone else hate Xilinx software? It's so slow. All I want to do is synthesize a frakin multiplexer, and instead I get to wait while it runs hundreds of calculations I don't care about.

May your framertes be high and your remperatures low.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been coding in Python for almost a year so I'm fairly comfortable with it. Dipped into Java a little but I never actually wrote anything of use, and although it's not really recognised as a mainstream language, I'm confident with GML (Game Maker Language) which is used in Gamemaker: Studio. 

I own some games... not many, but they have taken my life.

CPU: AMD A10 6790k GPU: GTX 750 Ti SC (+600 / +135) RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz PSU: Corsair CX 430W HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda & 60GB Kingston SSD Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Etc?: Laptop HDD for downloads folder :P

Started with C back in Elementary.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have just been getting started with Java (1.8_31) and am using Eclipse.  As I have been watching videos and looking up stuff, I found that Eclipse gives me an error when I declare a variable.  Here is what it looks like with the error shown:

oUahBXj.png

And without the error so you can see the code:

7rEZFnu.png

I have looked this problem up, and can't seem to find a good explanation on what is going on here, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-LtStaffel

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

snip

Since you're using System.in as the stream you should just ignore that warning. If you were to use anything in place of System.in you must call thing.close() after you're done using it.

Hello,

I have just been getting started with Java (1.8_31) and am using Eclipse.  As I have been watching videos and looking up stuff, I found that Eclipse gives me an error when I declare a variable.  Here is what it looks like with the error shown:

oUahBXj.png

And without the error so you can see the code:

7rEZFnu.png

I have looked this problem up, and can't seem to find a good explanation on what is going on here, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-LtStaffel

Don't worry about warnings... worry about errors :P

But yeah, as fizzle said - you could do thing.close() but it's not necessary

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Since you're using System.in as the stream you should just ignore that warning. If you were to use anything in place of System.in you must call thing.close() after you're done using it.

Don't worry about warnings... worry about errors :P

But yeah, as fizzle said - you could do thing.close() but it's not necessary

Thanks!

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

• 2 weeks later...

Setting up and Android Development environment with Eclipse on OS X was a bitch. The Java compiler kept pointing to the wrong JDK version and to solve it required hours of research just for it to work. 

end /rant 

My only interest in programming is textual processing, mainly search and decompression

that's very specific. Why did you choose that area? have you ever tried something different?

• 2 weeks later...

here's what im working on

XCOAPMW.png

its called Tom Text and it is going to be a simple, open source text editor made in c# that is designed to be easy, efficient and elegant.

once i have setup updates, I will put up a beta download.  

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found

Man I love to code but lack any ideas... Anyone fancy working together on something with C#? 

Man I love to code but lack any ideas... Anyone fancy working together on something with C#? 

Well i have TomText, see above, but I don't know how we would work together without a load of comments

Well i have TomText, see above, but I don't know how we would work together without a load of comments

Hmm yeah I suppose working together would be a little hard. Nice looking program by the way, how many lines in are you now? I am looking at making a packet modifying app; lets you manipulate packets but I am struggling to find a library with a pre-made C# wrapper :(

204 lines including namespace, usings, etc.