So i put a nexus 7 in the dash of my car.

bob345

So yeah, i installed a nexus 7 in the dash of my bmw e46 to replace the radio and it is awesome. Took some screwing around to get it to work perfectly but it was well worth it. inspired by this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/74137-nexus-7-subaru-liberty-car-install-completed/

temporary-36.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Nice job!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

This looks like a cheaper version of a Tesla

I like it :D

haha, it  honestly works better than most high end aftermarket options. I also plan to eventually put in a rotary encoder to be used as a volume knob instead of just the steering wheel controls  

Nice job!

Thanks!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

That looks really good! Good job.

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

With that kind of wording in the title i was expecting
So i put a nexus 7 in the dash of my car... And it caught fire/exploded

But it does look great :o 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It turned out really well. How do you charge it? Or does it use the car battery

I hacked apart a 12 volt usb adapter and wired it directly to a switched 12 volt lead that is under the dash. The tablet turns on when it gets power and turns off when power is taken away so i function like a normal touchscreen radio

I hacked apart a 12 volt usb adapter and wired it directly to a switched 12 volt lead that is under the dash. The tablet turns on when it gets power and turns off when power is taken away so i function like a normal touchscreen radio

so i suppose you have it connected to the speakers through the 3.5 jack, with an external amp? like an E10? or how do you drive them?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

so i suppose you have it connected to the speakers through the 3.5 jack, with an external amp? like an E10? or how do you drive them?

I have a 3.5mm jack to rca cable going to a line booster which then in turn go to a 5 channel amp that i have in the back of the car which is powering the speakers. 

This is all I understand lol, but that's great. Did you follow a tutorial or do you already have electrical engineering background info on you from school or something? 

For the past three years i have been working as car electronics installer part time so that is where i got most of the skills i needed to do this. I am also majoring in electrical engineering currently, but i really have not learned much new that i didn't already know

That's awesome. I've seen a couple of other people do this sort of thing.

I wish google would get their ass into gear and make a universal android car OS.

Because the touch screen devices you get in cars these days are crap.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

That's awesome. I've seen a couple of other people do this sort of thing.

I wish google would get their ass into gear and make a universal android car OS.

Because the touch screen devices you get in cars these days are crap.

they really do need to get into the automotive market. Its too fragmented with every company having a different standard on how to do things. And the interface in most "high end" double din radios really are just horrible. For example, pioneers new 8000 nex head unit costs $1000+ usd , yet it gets out performed by a $200 tablet.

This is cool...

Might be a bit dangerous if you're browsing the web while driving...

This is cool...

Might be a bit dangerous if you're browsing the web while driving...

yeah i made sure not to leave those apps on the home screen :D

That looks great, awesome work!!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I always thought of doing something like that. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

they really do need to get into the automotive market. Its too fragmented with every company having a different standard on how to do things. And the interface in most "high end" double din radios really are just horrible. For example, pioneers new 8000 nex head unit costs $1000+ usd , yet it gets out performed by a $200 tablet.

Google is actually getting into the automotive market with their new OS, Android Auto. They partnered with many car manufacturing companies, the VW group for example. It should be available for 2015 models if I recall correctly.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird