What is the best starting mechanical key switch?

I'm looking for a new keyboard and I'm not sure what exactly I want.

But when it comes to mechanical keyboards, which type is "0" or "neutral"?

Whenever they are described they always are in reference to one another whenever I try to find a description.

Can someone out make a comprehensive chart of each switch? Basing them on "Force" "Sound" Ect?

I'm looking into something with Black switches because I think they're the quietest, but everyone who ever makes a comparison video has to POUND the keyboard!

Should I start with Blacks or should I start with something else, I don't know what exactly I want, but I've tried a mechanical keyboard, I thought that was alright but I think if it was a little bit heavier and quieter I would have loved it. Or should I stick with membrane?

Well if you want quiet keys, avoid blues. They're loud.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Check that video out. I watched it today and they talk alot about Cooler masters new mechanical keyboards they talk about it at around 11:30 onwards. They rate the green at 80g and the red at around 40g 

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

Your best bet would be to go to a store and make an attempt to get them to let you try all the keys out.  The best one is the one that you like the best and are the most comfortable with.

This is the best beginners guide to mechanical keys ive seen 

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Your best bet would probably to go to a store and try them out, because everyone has different preferences and what most people like might not be what's best for you. 

Go to a local PC shop or smth and try out the different switches, blue, green, red, brown, black, etc. Then you can make the most valid decision.

The link bellow should give you someinformation on the switches:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mechanical-switch-keyboard,2955-3.html

There is no "best" all are great in their own way. i would try to find a store/friends with mechanical keyboards and try them out!

Your best bet would be to go to a store and make an attempt to get them to let you try all the keys out.  The best one is the one that you like the best and are the most comfortable with.

This is the best beginners guide to mechanical keys ive seen 

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

This^

Try a few out. You don't need to try them all but don't go in blindly. On the off chance you don't like mechanical keys...

21437557.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Forgot to mention. My first mech keyboard is a Ducky with cherry blues that I love, Im not a fan of browns and i dont like the linear feel of the reds and blacks, but I want to try greens.

Forgot to mention. My first mech keyboard is a Ducky with cherry blues that I love, Im not a fan of browns and i dont like the linear feel of the reds and blacks, but I want to try greens.

It boils down to personal preference, one must avoid this 'one size fits all' thinking......Blues and Browns seem to be the two switches in favor now, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they would automatically suit everyone. To the OP/TS, try out the individual switch first, get a feel for them and see which you'd like. I prefer Red and Black for gaming, for typing, I like the Blue, and Brown's good for both. That is not to say you can't game well with Blues, it took a little getting used to, but I've adjusted to fragging with Blues, and Browns. On my main rig, I have a KB with 8 switches, but uses Red for the alphabet keys, so I love it for gaming. My 2nd rig has a DS II Blue, and I seem to have adjusted well enough to fragging with it as well, same goes with my 3rd rig which has Brown switch.

It's a personal thing, so try out the switches before deciding.....Black or Brown would be good starting points, though bear in mind Black is a little heavier at 60g force to actuate vs 50g on the Blue.vs 45g on the Red/Brown. I am going to get a CM Trigger Green which has 80g actuation pressure, it's going to give my fingers quite a workout.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

It boils down to personal preference, one must avoid this 'one size fits all' thinking......Blues and Browns seem to be the two switches in favor now, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they would automatically suit everyone. To the OP/TS, try out the individual switch first, get a feel for them and see which you'd like. I prefer Red and Black for gaming, for typing, I like the Blue, and Brown's good for both. That is not to say you can't game well with Blues, it took a little getting used to, but I've adjusted to fragging with Blues, and Browns. On my main rig, I have a KB with 8 switches, but uses Red for the alphabet keys, so I love it for gaming. My 2nd rig has a DS II Blue, and I seem to have adjusted well enough to fragging with it as well, same goes with my 3rd rig which has Brown switch.

It's a personal thing, so try out the switches before deciding.....Black or Brown would be good starting points, though bear in mind Black is a little heavier at 60g force to actuate vs 50g on the Blue.vs 45g on the Red/Brown. I am going to get a CM Trigger Green which has 80g actuation pressure, it's going to give my fingers quite a workout.

I fully agree that it is all personal preference.  That was what I said in my first post.  

There is no such thing as the "best keys" it comes down to whether you want a tactile click, or a smooth & quiet entry.

my personal list:

1) Browns
2) Blues
3) Reds
4) Blacks

I just purchased my first mechanical keyboard. I bought the CM Strom Quick Fire Rapid TKL with Cherry MX Reds (Cheap starter keyboard). I went with red because I did not want the overly loud clicking. One thing to note is all mechanical keys are loud compared to membrane keys, the reds are just not near as loud as a blue would be. I have been very happy with the feel of a mechanical keyboard, but I can see where each key type would be a very personal choice and there is no real wrong answer.

Hope this diagram helps you a little :

Cherry MX Black :

7f9c490b_a157ae0ba86ffb2866d84d403e46182

Cherry MX Brown :

f63f362e_cde2fb0a2dd06fefcc47ce1ed987f6a

Cherry MX Blue :

8846736e_785448034edc7cebb9ea660c5f11e28

Cherry MX Clear(this type of keyboard is not available in market, but you can buy those switch and personally mod them on any mechanical keyboards you like) :

6b04d5a5_830ddca54420e8c9fee1de492f59338

Cherry MX Red :

2ba1cb3e_9279fc1cdccd524650ec6151a3d2d0f

Credits to Manyak for the diagram.

Since others have pointed you out to test them out at a store, i'll just post a short reply detailing the rough expectations you would have of the different switches.

Cherry MX Blues - The switch that would come to most people's minds if you talked about a 'mechanical keyboard' as people seem to associate their distinct clicky sound to that of a mechanical keyboard.

Cherry MX Browns - This switch would feel very very similar to the Cherry MX Reds on your first try with the two, with extended use will you then notice the slight tactile bump which while very minor, does provide a very useful feedback for humans (It's the way our brain/body works to external stimuli)

Cherry MX Reds - This switch would likely feel relatively boring for it is a linear switch. You will first notice that there is no longer the 'bump' holding you back from pressing down the keys like that in a membrane, followed by a presumable experience of having trouble with keyboard accuracy due to the foreign lack of tactile feedback aside from bottoming out the keys..

Cherry MX Blacks - For most people this switch would feel vastly different from the rest, such as the blues are to the reds, due to it's high actuation force. Unless you have thick/strong fingers this switch would take quite some effort to actuate.

Personally while i started with Cherry MX Reds, if i wasn't constrained by the global shortage of Browns at the time nor the noise made by the Blues i would have went for the Blues, for the majority of people, blues are extremely satisfying to type on due to the strong tactile feedback and auditory cues. However, many cannot stand the noise for reasons such like they don't live alone & etc, so many would go for a Brown.

Browns, they have a similar feel to a membrane at first so you would get used to them real fast.

My list: 

Buckling spring

alps 

topre

cherry mx green

cherry mx  blue 

cherry mx clear

cherry mx gray

cherry mx brown 

good membrane

cherry mx black

cherry mx red

average and bad membrane

As some people have said, you better go to the shop and give each color a test

its a very delicate personal choice

I love mine loud so blue or green is the one for me though I have an ergo clear on the way

again, give it all a try; even you maybe hook to topre , who knows?:)

Browns if you want the tactile feel of blues without the noise. Here is a guide from overclock.net about mechanical keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

it's all personal preference

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II