Is thermal compound necessary

Do you wipe after you poop?

Ofc it is....

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Yes you will have massive overheating issues.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Yes, it is necessary. It'll overheat to death if you don't use it.

i'm a potato

Just the problem of overheating until either thermal protection shuts your machine off or your machine just dies outright.

There is a reason it's provided/pre-applied to pretty much every cooler :P

Yes it's necessarily unless you have lots of money to throw at replacing your CPU everytime it burns up :D

Without a thermal compound, transferring heat from the CPU to the cooling-solution won't be efficient enough.

CPU: Core i7-4790K

GPU: 2x MSi GTX 970 GAMING G4       

MB:   ASUS Z97-AR 

thermal compound is necessary to effectively and efficiently transfer generated heat from the CPU to the heatsink or waterblock of your chosen cooling solution.

Neither CPU surface or heatsink contact surface are perfect. Thermal paste is there to fill those imperfections and provide contact between the two.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

if you want a fried cpu than sure you dont need it. In all seriousness most coolers today come with thermal compound and if yours does not it would be necessary to buy some

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Because most CPUs these days do include some form of thermal protection, it'll probably work without it, but it'll be very hot even at the very lowest of speeds it can throttle down to. Even though a metal surface appears flat and sometimes even shiny, it's far from perfect, and the far from perfect surface on the bottom of the heatsink will not quite match up to the far from perfect surface of your CPU's integrated heat spreader (the metal lid on the CPU itself). The result of this is that most of the surfaces is separated by an ever-so-thin layer of air, which is not a very good heat conductor. Thermal paste is a paste that will fill up all these nooks and crannies when applied correctly and is specially formulated with a high thermal conductivity. So yes, a heatsink-processor interface without paste may be able to dissipate about 10 watts of heat or so, but that's nowhere near the TDP of a modern processor. You don't need the highest end thermal paste. The difference between the best and the worst paste is less than ten degrees C. Just get some.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

it's not necessary at all

if you can properly solder your cpu to your heatsink.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Are there going to be problems if I don't use thermal compound?

Yes

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590